Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Because G4 is only good for watching E3 on TV, nothing more.

And you still need to make sure the urge to kill yourself doesn't get too great.

Because G4 is only good for watching E3 on TV, nothing more.

Pretty much. I know that's the only reason I ever turn that channel on anymore.

WARNING SPOILERS

So /v/ was bitching over this. Samus meets Ridley and

totally pussies out, breaks down, and gets captured.

At first I thought what the fuck, this isn't the first time, she should have no problem fighting but then I remembered

Zebes has blown up with Ridley in it already, she SHOULD be pissing herself when she sees he's still alive.

It's actually impressive.

Edited by Noir

WARNING SPOILERS

At first I thought what the fuck, this isn't the first time, she should have no problem fighting but then I remembered

Zebes has blown up with Ridley in it already, she SHOULD be pissing herself when she sees he's still alive.

Not to mention, just about every time she fights Ridley in the Prime games, it takes a second for her to react and not just flip out.

The fucker killed her parents and everyone she knew as a kid, possibly even feeding on their bodies, and almost her. After Zebes, she more than likely thought that was it. No more motherfucker.

Seeing your parent's killer not only alive after being blown up with a whole planet, but back to being fully organic and jumping out of a waterfall of lava is going to freak you the fuck out of your mind.

And then once she gets her shit together, she looks ready to stick that beam cannon right up his urethra and fuck him up.

Edited by Nathan Farnsworth

But

this is like the second to last game in the timeline, isn't it? She's already fought him in Metroid 1/Zero Mission, Primes 1 and 3, and Super Metroid. If he seemingly came back from the dead 3 times before, why should this time be such a shock? Even if she thinks "okay, he must be dead for real this time", I wouldn't expect her to be completely paralyzed, considering she's fought him several times already. I mean, I'm all for adding some depth to her character, but this just seems like a botch.

But

this is like the second to last game in the timeline, isn't it? She's already fought him in Metroid 1/Zero Mission, Primes 1 and 3, and Super Metroid. If he seemingly came back from the dead 3 times before, why should this time be such a shock? Even if she thinks "okay, he must be dead for real this time", I wouldn't expect her to be completely paralyzed, considering she's fought him several times already. I mean, I'm all for adding some depth to her character, but this just seems like a botch.

It's POSSIBLY the second to last, I'm not honestly sure. It's definitely after Super and before Fusion, so yeah it is currently.

And he's what's gone on with Ridley so far.

Metroid, he died and his remains were rebuilt, heart and brain in a cybernetic body.

Prime 1, he's a robot. Falls down a huge cliff, exact amount of damage taken, who knows.

Prime 3, we don't see him land or hit ground the first time, second time he explodes into Phazon. Still robot. Apparently this is the end of Meta-Ridley.

Super Metroid, what the fuck organic again? Oh well blown up with a whole planet, chances of finding remains are non-existent.

Other M, Wait hold on he's still organic, didn't he blow up and oh god he's fucking more beefed out than sirloin steak.

So yeah, it would be like the fifth time he's been around, but only the third as an organic creature. After being blown up with a whole planet, after Samus' rage for him has quelled for him because she thought he was dead for good.

It's not Ridley in Other M. It's Roidley, Ridley's buff substance abusing cousin.

Edited by speedfreak

It's not Ridley in Other M. It's Roidley, Ridley's buff substance abusing cousin.

This explains the tiny crotch.

But

Well a lot of it is that the old games just weren't so story driven. She'd freak out the first time she fights him in Metroid I'm sure, but they didn't have much of a way to show it. To see he's back in Prime, she did hesitate at first. After that I guess fighting him became business as usual. But after blowing up Zebes, there were no Space Pirates to rebuild him, it was an enormous explosion... to find out he's survived even THAT has to be a shock. She must have felt hopeless knowing that he could never die for good no matter what she did.

She'd freak out the first time she fights him in Metroid I'm sure

Actually she goes apeshit berserk on his ass. She even tells him she'll have his ass kicked in three seconds.

She does still hesitate however, but after, she takes him out and just watches him burn while he actually screams in pain.

Looks like fun compared to the pain in the ass (but still somehow fun) he was in Fusion. A lot more dynamic too, since it's more open.

Can't wait...

Looks like fun compared to the pain in the ass (but still somehow fun)

he was in Fusion. A lot more dynamic too, since it's more open.

Can't wait...

I don't mind, but you might want to spoiler tag that. You are kinda giving obvious hints about what the spoiler could be.

Edited by speedfreak

Wha...

Actually, when you think about it, Samus' reaction to Ridley's appearance is actually more or less fridge brilliance. But Ridley killed Anthony. That motherfucker's going DOWN.

But, you have to admit, Anthony was a total badass in that scene. Even when it's obvious that he stands no chance against him, he's taunting Ridley. "Don't you know how to treat a lady?"

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Actually guys, the way Samus reacted to Ridley, i think the manga answers that question quite well (i think >.> just trying to help)

sc_metroid_v01_ch010_047.png

http://metroid-datab...id=64#manga_top

Go forward two pages.

Basically, she's been holding back on her thoughts, and in a brief moment rewitnessed the entire event in her mind and broke down.

Off topic:

Samus makes me lol

sc_metroid_v02_ch0082.png

Edited by Jetronic

Wha...

Actually, when you think about it, Samus' reaction to Ridley's appearance is actually more or less fridge brilliance. But Ridley killed Anthony. That motherfucker's going DOWN.

But, you have to admit, Anthony was a total badass in that scene. Even when it's obvious that he stands no chance against him, he's taunting Ridley. "Don't you know how to treat a lady?"

It takes some serious testicular elephantitis to mock a space dragon on steroids.

WARNING SPOILERS

So, what, is her suit controller by her emotions now? I didn't even like it forming like that in the first place, but what's with it disappearing?

So, what, is her suit controller by her emotions now? I didn't even like it forming like that in the first place, but what's with it disappearing?

Samus' suit is known to shut down in times of near fatal attacks, and large amounts of stress. Ridley's attacking and grabbing her, coupled with her already scared mind, means that the Power Suit has a hard time staying together.

Well a lot of it is that the old games just weren't so story driven. She'd freak out the first time she fights him in Metroid I'm sure, but they didn't have much of a way to show it. To see he's back in Prime, she did hesitate at first. After that I guess fighting him became business as usual. But after blowing up Zebes, there were no Space Pirates to rebuild him, it was an enormous explosion... to find out he's survived even THAT has to be a shock. She must have felt hopeless knowing that he could never die for good no matter what she did.

Wha...

Actually, when you think about it, Samus' reaction to Ridley's appearance is actually more or less fridge brilliance."

"You definitely should have died last time I killed you because I really made sure you were definitely dead when I killed you" being played for any drama whatsoever is rather silly by itself, but it still doesn't translate into "I'm gonna stand here and shit my pants until some dude kills himself to snap me out of it." Its not Fridge Brilliance. It is just a comic book death done in a ridiculously over the top way in a series where such a thing sticks out even more than it usually does.

Edited by Tornado

"You definitely should have died last time I killed you because I really made sure you were definitely dead when I killed you" being played for any drama whatsoever is rather silly by itself, but it still doesn't translate into "I'm gonna stand here and shit my pants until some dude kills himself to snap me out of it." Its not Fridge Brilliance. It is just a comic book death done in a ridiculously over the top way in a series where such a thing sticks out even more than it usually does.

Out of curiosity, what would you think of this scene if Other M was branded as a more story-driven re-imagination of the series rather than just a sequel? Because of course, besides Fusion, the 2D games have always had no more story than one or two cutscenes and Retro relegated it to optional scans, but now it's a bit jarring to see it this way. If the games in the past had more prominent story, would this really be a problem? Or if this wasn't considered a welcome addition to the plot and was instead an alternate version, would it matter then?

Just some thoughts.

I'm not sure it'd fly even if they had set her up as being afraid of/intimidated by/traumatized by him in past games. I mean, assuming the basic events still went the same, she's still killed him several times by this point. You kill a guy a half dozen times and he stops being terrifying and starts being annoying. And even coming back from apparent death doesn't make him more scary if you can send him packing again and again.

Honestly, this scene could've worked if this was the first Metroid game (or at least the first with Ridley). You set her up as having this traumatic past, she gets out in the field and she's still pretty green, and suddenly she runs into the big hulking space dragon that killed her parents. Yeah, that I could see her soiling her Zero Suit over.

But it just doesn't work when she's already done this.

If the games in the past had more prominent story, would this really be a problem?

Yes.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that they couldn't have played that scene for drama.

I do think that the whole planet explosion thing is enough of a distinction to elicit some kind of dramatic reaction from the story.

I'm not even saying that the way they did handle it was inherently bad, because I didn't see it as "OMIGOD sexism" or anything like that.

For example, if this game took place right after Zero Mission, that scene would have been fantastic. Samus finishes her first adult encounter with the killer of her planet thinking she got her closure, but oh shit Ridley is back for more. A BSoD would be completely acceptable in that situation. The way Diogenes mentioned would be even better.

But for this game, taking place where it does in the overall timeline, the way they handled it was ridiculous.

Or if this wasn't considered a welcome addition to the plot and was instead an alternate version, would it matter then?

Again, it depends on where they put it. An alternate reality story-driven reimagining of the series' broad strokes still wouldn't make sense if the game was in the same spot in the chronology.

Edited by Tornado

Welp, my Wii's broken T_T

It won't read discs anymore, and the lens cleaner didn't work either.

Ugh, what terrible timing, I won't be able to play Other M 'til it gets fixed >.< and who knows how long that will take.

Welp, my Wii's broken T_T

It won't read discs anymore, and the lens cleaner didn't work either.

Ugh, what terrible timing, I won't be able to play Other M 'til it gets fixed >.< and who knows how long that will take.

Oh man, that happened to me just two months ago.

You might need to buy a new Wii.