Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

I think it's getting mixed reviews for exactly the reason you're worried, SuperLink. Everyone seemed to expect this to be god fucking great amazing shit your pants off game, and then they got just a good game.

Also, everyone hated Fusion at first, and if this is paced like Fusion (one of the only complaints) then I'm hardly worried at all.

also that last thing psiwind said made me jizz in my pants.

veryone hated Fusion at first, and if this is paced like Fusion (one of the only complaints) then I'm hardly worried at all.

I hope it is, but Fusion's aggregate was never this low. D:

Plus you act like it's wrong to expect a Metroid quality game from the Metroid series.

If it's lower than most Metroid standards of course people are disappointed.

Edited by SuperLink

Plus you act like it's wrong to expect a Metroid quality game from the Metroid series.

Your standards are set way too high D=

For any game that I get, I just hope it's fun and interesting in it's own light. Those are my two and only expectations =P (walks away)

Well yeah. I'm not saying it's as good as Fusion, but it's getting reactions from developers that it got from fans at first.

Not to mention, it never really looked like ohmygodamazing, but almost everyone loves it so far, with a few that don't like it for specific reasons.

I think it'll be Metroid quality (seal of approval), but I don't think it'll be one of the greatest games ever.

Like... just, just above Prime 2, and a little below Prime 3. And better than Zero Mission.

I don't think that hoping for a Metroid standard quality Metroid game is a very unreasonable expectation at all.

Oh man, the unlockables sound kinda shitty. :/

Where is Justin Bailey mode?!

I was hoping for it too T_T

I don't think that hoping for a Metroid standard quality Metroid game is a very unreasonable expectation at all.

It's... sort of not.

It's not unreasonable to expect a Metroid quality game. But it's a tad unreasonable to expect a full on Metroid feel with a developer who hasn't ever worked on the series.

Also, honestly you're generally unreasonable to some extent. It's kind of expected by now.

just like i am generally a penis.

a huge penis. that is really good in bed.

a huge penis. that is really good in bed.

You so crazy.

But really. The Metroid series for the most part ranges from fantastic to fucking brilliant. Sure some games were a little weird e.g. Corruption had more focus on combat, half of Echoes was a very different gimmick from what you'd expect in a Metroid title, etc. Overall though when I start playing a new Metroid I expect to be blown away and have a superb experience. From the reviews it's obvious that this game is fun, and it is a good game, but not necessarily a good Metroid game because it falls short of the series' standard. I'll still enjoy it and be happy with my purchase, I'm sure, but there will always be a lot of disappointment along with it.

It's not unreasonable to expect a Metroid quality game. But it's a tad unreasonable to expect a full on Metroid feel with a developer who hasn't ever worked on the series.

It didn't seem to cause a problem for Retro Studios. And they didn't have Sakamoto holding their hand throughout the entire development process like Team Ninja did, so Retro would at least have an excuse if they had made any mistakes. It also clearly isn't the result of developer inexperience when most of the problems reviewers have been having with the game were intentionally made, having been mandated by the one man who should know better than anyone how to make a Metroid game.

And, shit, it isn't as if the Metroid formula is an impossible nut to crack without Sakamoto being directly involved (pun completely unintentional), because there have been a dozen or so Castlevania games in the past 15 years that are basically the same thing.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

It didn't seem to cause a problem for Retro Studios. And they didn't have Sakamoto holding their hand throughout the entire development process like Team Ninja did, so Retro would at least have an excuse if they had made any mistakes. It also clearly isn't the result of developer inexperience when most of the problems reviewers have been having with the game were intentionally made, having been mandated by the one man who should know better than anyone how to make a Metroid game.

And, shit, it isn't as if the Metroid formula is an impossible nut to crack without Sakamoto being directly involved (pun completely unintentional), because there have been a dozen or so Castlevania games in the past 15 years that are basically the same thing.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Retro Studios were a complete unknown, given a gargantuan task, and suceeded. Team Ninja had the guy who created Metroid and for the most part did a great job, but due to some stubborn nitpicking, made some slighty less stelar choices.

Hell, Retro Studios are the only reason i'm hyped for Donkey Kong Country Returns.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Retro Studios were a complete unknown, given a gargantuan task, and suceeded. Team Ninja had the guy who created Metroid and for the most part did a great job, but due to some stubborn nitpicking, made some slighty less stelar choices.

Hell, Retro Studios are the only reason i'm hyped for Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Sakamoto didn't actually create Metroid, Metroid's creator died in an accident soon after Metroid II (iirc)

But Sakomoto did direct arguably the best titles in the series (Super and Fusion), so I really don't know what happened here. Stubborn nitpicking and slightly less stellar choices I guess :|

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't been following this game at all, but I just looked at a review at Eurogamer and saw comments about Wii Remote only and d-pad controls, so I then checked on the Wii's Nintendo Channel and was shocked to see it's true. Wasn't expecting that at all. Looking at Metacritic, it seems to be getting mixed reviews. Looks fun though, I might check it out when I have some spare cash.

While the aggregate of the game is alot lower than most other Metroid games, an 80 on MetaCritic isn't all that bad.

Speaking as someone who can't really get into Super Metroid but loves the Prime series to death, again as its been said, its being built way too much on expectations. Personally the only thing I would ever want to hope is that its atleast as good as Metroid Prime, but in the end I'll be hoping that the game is just plain fun to go through and that the story is good which is one of the reasons why I'm intrigued with this game.

EDIT: Alright so Gamereactor Sweden published this country's first swedish review and gave it a 7/10, praising awesome bosses, smooth controls, varying environments, good music, great design and graphics, but criticizing camera, poor dialogue and a horribly short length. I'll hand it to you then, SuperLink, that you were probably right about the cutscene parts when it came to the DL Disc.

Edited by Columind

The german magazine M-Games reviewed the game and gave it a 73 (Toy Story 3 got 78 xD). They complained about the unlocking of items, that the controls were annoying but they worked and he said he didn't have a lot of fun until the last third of the game,.

The fact that dialogue is a negative is worrying.

Maybe Nintendo just don't know how to get good voice talent.

Maybe it's a good thing SS won't be VA'd afterall :/

I think if Nunchuck controls were available it would have scored higher. I chalk up the so-so (for a Metroid game) reviews to plentiful poor decision making.

You know one thing that really bugs me? Having to switch to first person just to fire a missile. Trying to simplify a Metroid game to work with just the Wiimote was a stupid idea from the beginning IMO. I don't even think being played exclusively from a 2D perspective would have solved the Wiimote only thing. There just aren't enough buttons. They shouldn't have tried to simplify the game beyond the way Super Metroid played.

Still buying and I'm positive I'll still enjoy it, but I can't believe Nintendo of all companies made so many poor choices with one of it's top franchises. Well, IMO anyway.

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Toy Story 3 got 78 xD

Their opinion doesn't count anymore.

This third half of the game sure sounds like a bundle of fun, huh.

Their opinion doesn't count anymore.

This third half of the game sure sounds like a bundle of fun, huh.

Why? From what I hear the game is good :-/

Good god almighty holy mustard, G4's review on Other M is......not very professional >.>

Why on earth am I not surprised.

• Thumbs Up 2