Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Other M will probably be with me by Friday.

Apparently I can get it sent back to Nintendo, but it could take forever, I have to get rid of Homebrew traces, transfer all my data, and then I might have to redownload all my VC/Wiiware titles.

*sigh*

Maybe my friend will let me play it on his Wii.

good thing this didn't happen when SMG2 came out or I might have killed myself

Booted up Prime Trilogy again to get myself hyped up for Other M on Friday. Not necessarily a brilliant idea, especially if Other M fails to match up to Prime... but damn has it got me in a Metroid mood! I'd forgotten how much I loved these games.

C'mon Samus, let's shoot dem space pirate mofos!

Damn you Amazon! :angry: I had Metroid ordered with release date delivery and shitty Amazon had a "delay issue" so now I have to wait at the very least another whole day to play this.

ShopTo actually shipped my copy today.

Which means it'll most likely be here tomorrow morning!

Which would be fabtastic, if I had a working Wii to play it on.

yui18.gif?t=1283286527

So what, am I the only one who's got it?

Well it's no surprise: the controls are pretty bad. The D-pad is hurting my thumb in fact (although I'm a sissy so your mileage may vary). It's not particularly difficult in 3D sections but as said before, it would have been better with the nunchuck and there was no excuse not to use it. Switching to first person isn't a problem, surprisingly. In fact I find myself doing it sometimes during fights simply because it's more fun to aim than mash buttons. The gameplay itself is fine, though I'll admit it feels slightly less Metroid-ish, but it's the beginning of the game so I'd say it's too early to decide.

Cutscenes are very pretty, I enjoy them quite a bit. Samus' voice could sure be better but it works. I will say I wish they were shorter. They're nice and all but the first boss had, if I remember correctly, about three of them in the middle of it.

Keep in mind this is from like thirty minutes of playing, so it's a very limited opinion. We'll see how it goes I suppose.

ShopTo is an amazing site.

And my friend is awesome for lending me his Wii.

Ohai guys I just got Other M 3 days before the EU release date.

tumblr_l81mva5MjJ1qcabzm.gif

EDIT:

Uh... why does Adam have the right to authorize Samus' power ups when he's not even her boss anymore?

Samus is independent, her suit is Chozo made, a game device it may be, but it's a pretty lame one. Probably lamer than Samus losing all of her power ups by tripping over in MP1.

She doesn't even go here.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uh... why does Adam have the right to authorize Samus' power ups when he's not even her boss anymore?

Samus is independent, her suit is Chozo made, a game device it may be, but it's a pretty lame one. Probably lamer than Samus losing all of her power ups by tripping over in MP1.

She doesn't even go here.

The Galactic Federation are the ones who usually hire Samus, so it's good to please those who pay you. Also Samus wants to prove to Adam that she's more disciplined now or something like that. It may now work perfectly, I mean who would let themselves be in danger when they're a walking tank, but it's good enough.

The Galactic Federation are the ones who usually hire Samus, so it's good to please those who pay you. Also Samus wants to prove to Adam that she's more disciplined now or something like that. It may now work perfectly, I mean who would let themselves be in danger when they're a walking tank, but it's good enough.

I'm still not really buying it, especially since when you first get to the Bottle Ship, Samus can't use bombs because they "haven't been authorised", even when she hasn't met up with Adam and agreed to help him.

It's not like walking onto a near abandoned ship that just happens to have Feds on it just so happens to give them complete power over Samus' suit.

Augh.

Speaking of near abandoned ship, a research facility that has different sectors and almost no survivors. Sound familiar to anyone? :P

Oh and, Nathan was right about the combat, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. For one thing, you don't shoot automatically when near an enemy, so whichever publication wrote that needs to shove it.

However, I was right about the controls (imo). They're awkward, especially the First Person switch. Augh.

This could have been so much easier with Analogue control, having played the game myself now I am left with no doubt. What a silly design choice. :(

Lastly, the cutscenes, why does it have to be so grimdark? I'm not sure I dig that. Monotonous Samus doesn't do her any justice at all.

So far, thoroughly enjoyable, but my thumb kinda aches from using the D-Pad like an analogue.

I'm still not really buying it, especially since when you first get to the Bottle Ship, Samus can't use bombs because they "haven't been authorised", even when she hasn't met up with Adam and agreed to help him.

It's not like walking onto a near abandoned ship that just happens to have Feds on it just so happens to give them complete power over Samus' suit.

Augh.

Like I said, not perfect but good enough. Honestly I don't even know why they bother giving an explanation for Samus having to regain her powers. Do we question why Samus has to recollect energy tanks and missiles? Nope, because the game would be boring if you were a tank right off the bat.

Like I said, not perfect but good enough. Honestly I don't even know why they bother giving an explanation for Samus having to regain her powers. Do we question why Samus has to recollect energy tanks and missiles? Nope, because the game would be boring if you were a tank right off the bat.

Honestly if they were confiscated by the people she currently works for after Super Metroid I would have been a little happier with that.

I miss tracking down power-ups :/ Even if I had to track down rooms like in Fusion, that would have been nice.

Oh yeah, and every time I remember the Gravity Suit has been retconned, I die a little inside :(

PS.

I have genuine relief that this doesn't have the same scan system as Prime. If it did, I would be pulling my hair out stopping in every single room to look around.

Edited by SuperLink

Oh yeah, and every time I remember the Gravity Suit has been retconned, I die a little inside :(

Didn't I already explain that it hasn't been?

Also, I'm not seeing why analog on D-pad is bad, it worked in Paper Mario and didn't hut my thumbs at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't I already explain that it hasn't been?

Also, I'm not seeing why analog on D-pad is bad, it worked in Paper Mario and didn't hut my thumbs at all.

Paper Mario is a mostly slow paced game, it's an RPG afterall.

Other M is very action packed in comparison.

And how hasn't it been retconned? Samus isn't even wearing it in her flashback confrontation.

Edited by SuperLink

And how hasn't it been retconned? Samus isn't even wearing it in her flashback confrontation.

Gravity Suit: Not Samus' main suit that is shown just about everywhere.

Varia Suit: Synonymous with Samus and generally used everywhere.

It's for familiarity, not as a retcon.

Edited by Nathan Farnsworth

Gravity Suit: Not Samus' main suit that is shown just about everywhere.

Varia Suit: Synonymous with Samus and generally used everywhere.

It's for familiarity, not as a retcon.

We'll see in future games I guess.

It's still a pretty retarded reasons to kick continuity in the nuts.

I think it would have been way better fan-service if she wore the Gravity Suit in that cutscene.

PS.

I have genuine relief that this doesn't have the same scan system as Prime. If it did, I would be pulling my hair out stopping in every single room to look around.

I wish I still had it, or at least everything that was worth my attention was scannable. It took me an hour to realize there was this part of the wall I had to use a bomb on to proceed though after restoring power in sector 1 because it wasn't targetable like every else that was destructible.

Also, I'm raging about missle tanks only giving you 1 additional missle.

I wish I still had it, or at least everything that was worth my attention was scannable. It took me an hour to realize there was this part of the wall I had to use a bomb on to proceed though after restoring power in sector 1 because it wasn't targetable like every else that was destructible.

I actually thought that bit was really clever (assuming we're thinking about the same bit) ^^;

having to use the two versions of the area to see "weak spots" in the building.

I actually thought that bit was really clever (assuming we're thinking about the same bit) ^^;

having to use the two versions of the area to see "weak spots" in the building.

I really didn't see the connection cause the camo was glitchy in other spots too. I also hit that spot with charge beams and got no response. Having no "scan visor" target when I know I was able to scan other things that could be destroyed by normal bombs made me assume that it was just a glitch in the camo and I couldn't use normal bombs on it. So I ran around for an hour (stuck in that little area of sector 1 mind you since my range of backtracking was limited due to a slope in one room and that wall in the other) until I went oldschool and just started bombing everything.

Anyway, WHY 1 MISSLE!!??

It's 1 Missile because you can reload them. Either that or because there are like a billion missile tanks around, which there are.

Yeah, concentration really only saves me about 5 seconds of killing enemies or projectiles until they spit out missle pickups. I don't see it as an excuse (or at least not a good one) to give me only 1 additional missle for each expansion.

So far, thoroughly enjoyable, but my thumb kinda aches from using the D-Pad like an analogue.

I'm not the only one with sissy thumbs! Yay!

Also question:

WHERE. THE FUCK. DO YOU GET PICKUPS. BECAUSE NOT ONE ENEMY HAS DROPPED ONE YET.