Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

WHERE. THE FUCK. DO YOU GET PICKUPS. BECAUSE NOT ONE ENEMY HAS DROPPED ONE YET.

Hold the Wiimote upwards and press A.

They're invisible, also everywhere. Hold it up and press A and they'll all be drawn in to you, like the charge beam does in Prime.

I might be tempted to say Other M is the second creepiest Metroid game after Fusion, and I'm not that far through yet.

Sorry Ms Aran, but unlike you I'm giving Other M all my thumbs up so far.

I might be tempted to say Other M is the second creepiest Metroid game after Fusion, and I'm not that far through yet.

Wow, just how far are you? I've just gotten to Sector 2 and while there's a very ominous atmosphere throughout the ship, I can't say I'd describe it as "creepy". But at the rate it's going I'm sure it won't belong before I do.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, to tell the truth. It's very cinematic in every way but not so much that it feels like a NOGAEM. The controls still make my thumb sore and I'll never grow to like them, I also really hate the sections where the camera zooms into Samus and you walk like a fucking snail, and some enemies have far more health than they should. And on a similar note, Concentration is a terrible excuse for less missiles and no pickups. If missiles came in fives still, there would be no need for it. And for health, I obsessively make sure my health bar is full at all times possible even if I have to backtrack to kill some enemies. It annoys me to have it half empty.

But it is a lot of fun. It's a black sheep in the series for sure but it's still got a lot of great qualities that make it a welcome addition.

They could have kept the same number, just with expansions as packs of five and more scattered. It's not particularly rewarding to find an expansion when I know half the rooms I enter will have one revealed to me once I kill everything. It's more fun to actually find it on my own.

They could have kept the same number, just with expansions as packs of five and more scattered. It's not particularly rewarding to find an expansion when I know half the rooms I enter will have one revealed to me once I kill everything. It's more fun to actually find it on my own.

80 missiles in packs of 5 would be 16 missile pickups.

By making the number smaller, there's still an exploration aspect, and you get a steadily increasing number. With the standard five, they'd be way too spread out, or too close together.

If there are 80, 2 would have probably been the magic number. Most games have 40-50 missile expansions hidden away.

I don't think there are Super Missiles in this game, right? Or is it Fusion styled?

I'm thinking there's a lack of power ups past Missiles and possibly Power Bombs. 75 missle pickups kinda help add length for the 100% runs.

I believe Super Missiles operate the same way they did in Prime, though I haven't gotten them "authorized" yet. Though, considering you only have 80 max missile it may cost less to fire one. They add length to collecting by adding Energy Parts (energy tanks split into 4 parts) Accel Charges (speed up the charge beam), and E Recovery Tanks (adds to how much you can restore through Concentration) though.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I'm up to the part after Samus saves Anthony from that one-eyed tentacle chicken. So far, this is all I have to say:

* Despite being narrative driven, it doesn't feel too linear, which I like.

* The story is alright, but it's very slow paced.

* While I like having her as more than a silent protagonist, Samus tends to narrate where it's not needed, almost to the extent of Alan Wake.

* Voice acting is terrible, at least Samus' is anyway.

* The fighting mechanics feel extremely satisfying. The finishing blows and jump shots feel great.

* The D-Pad controls actually feel well handled. The quasi-on-rails set-up makes jagged or curved hallways easy to navigate.

* My problem with the controls is in the transition between first and third person. They should at least let time slow down for a few seconds or something to help you acclimate.

* Concentration healing is weird, but it's a bit less luck based than item drops. It just feels like a mechanic the developer put in because they couldn't think of a better way to handle it.

* The authorization system can suck it hard. I can understand Adam not wanting me to use dangerous weapons like the power bomb or even the super missile, but do I need him to tell me when to put on the fucking Varia Suit or even use the grappling beam? I treaded over 3 overheated sections before he realized putting on the Varia suit would be a good idea despite the fact that it poses a threat to ABSOLUTELY NOBODY. I know they wanted to make an explaination for Samus not being able to use her old items at the beginning, but this makes even less sense.

* The graphics are great by Wii standards, which is of course, mediocre by today's standards.

* The environments are some of the worst I've seen in any Metroid game. Each sector just feels like it has a color palette with about 5 colors. At least Dark Aether's environment had the courtesy to be creepy, but absolutely nothing about these worlds make me feel isolated or frightened. Oh, and the lighting could be a lot better in some rooms. Seriously, it's impossible to see in a lot of the darker areas.

I could go on, but all I can say is that it's above average at best. It was polished better than it was thought out, that is to say it doesn't have many flaws, but the ones it does have stick out.

* The environments are some of the worst I've seen in any Metroid game. Each sector just feels like it has a color palette with about 5 colors. At least Dark Aether's environment had the courtesy to be creepy, but absolutely nothing about these worlds make me feel isolated or frightened. Oh, and the lighting could be a lot better in some rooms. Seriously, it's impossible to see in a lot of the darker areas.

That's... like every area in Metroid ever. Brinstar is mostly blue, Noirfair is red/brown. Sector 2 consists of literally all green shades. Even the environment in the Prime games have a basic color scheme the whole level fits into.

Also I love how you used Dark Aether, the one with a pallet almost completely consisting of purple, and had little to no scares at all.

In fact, Metroid games aren't scary.

Ever.

Ever.

As a horror nut who has played every horror game I can get my hands on, I can say Metroid has never scared me. However what people are afraid of vary, and what I can say is that Metroid is atmospheric, which is a quality that is shared with horror games. Environment and atmosphere are super important in horror games and are so too in Metroid, and there is some minorly disturbing imagery and music, so for those who aren't choked full on horror like I am I could definitely understand how some are afraid of it. Metroid is like Nintendo's closest thing to a horror game as it is.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

I'm still debating with myself if to get this or not tomorrow morning when it comes out, I've liked the walkthroughs I've seen so far and it's had alright reviews but I'm still unsure about getting it :unsure: is it worth getting Other M ?

Ever.

Metroids seems to terrify the living daylights out of me in Metroid Prime. I'm not kidding you. BUT THEY'RE ADORABLE BUT ARGH D:

So I have it in my hands right now :C

But I'm worried it won't play as it hasn't come out here in England yet D: Crazy game and sending pre-orders a day early. Any idea if it's a full menu update the game needs? Or if it's an old one? I'm guessing it needs the update but...

Edited by DarkOverord

Wow, just how far are you? I've just gotten to Sector 2 and while there's a very ominous atmosphere throughout the ship, I can't say I'd describe it as "creepy". But at the rate it's going I'm sure it won't belong before I do.

I'm actually not that far at all. I only just got to Sector 3.

But that little fluffy thing really creeps me out and I mean really

Plus it's worth mentioning that aside from Fusion the series is barely very creepy at all.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, to tell the truth. It's very cinematic in every way but not so much that it feels like a NOGAEM. The controls still make my thumb sore and I'll never grow to like them, I also really hate the sections where the camera zooms into Samus and you walk like a fucking snail, and some enemies have far more health than they should. And on a similar note, Concentration is a terrible excuse for less missiles and no pickups. If missiles came in fives still, there would be no need for it. And for health, I obsessively make sure my health bar is full at all times possible even if I have to backtrack to kill some enemies. It annoys me to have it half empty.

But it is a lot of fun. It's a black sheep in the series for sure but it's still got a lot of great qualities that make it a welcome addition.

Agree completely with all this (although concentration doesn't bother me too much)

The controls are unnecessarily awkward, sacrificing comfort for the sake of a retro feel is retarded.

The bits where you walk extremely slowly from the shoulder view are also unnecessary, atleast give me a "walk quicker dammit" button.

EDIT: Fusion is scary, and easily one of the most atmospheric in the series.

That fucking SA-X.

Those steps.

That game is just full of nightmare fuel.

Including that one boss. What was its name. Oh yeah.

Nightmare.

PS. I hope Adam authorised Samus to breathe because breathing would help her live too.

Edited by SuperLink

I now officially hate Team Ninja's/Other M's portrayal of Samus. They made cry like a little girl. Like a little girl.

She crys like a little girl at the mere sight of Ridley. She has fought this bastard 7 times prior to this that we know of, and beat him 6 of those times, and you're telling me she crys like a little girl in fear seeing him again for the 8th time? NO! Samus crying like a little girl should not be happening for any reason, and Ridley being one of them has lost all believability at this point in the timeline.

Too much inner monolouge was bad enough, but I totally lost it after witnessing that.

(If you reply to this message, please no spoilers after that point of the game. That's where I stopped playing for the day.)

Edited by Yong

Picking this up as soon as GAME opens in the morning. I'm that dedicated.

Not that anyone cares about my trivial antics :P

Anyway I am expecting a fun albeit flawed Metroid experience. But seeing as I haven't bought a game since Galaxy 2, it'll be nice just to be playing something new and fresh.

Personally that bit in Corruption in the metroid holding area when the power cuts off and you're roaming around dark hallways with screeching and phazon metroids literally appearing out of the walls, well it rather scared the shit out of me.

I still don't get the control issues, because I'm not having any issues. Stop having pussy hands, SuperLink. :P

Really, though, you might figure you have to do awkward diagonal movements, but here's the thing, you don't. The game is designed so Samus naturally follows winding paths when you continue to hold the forward direction, and you don't need to run around in circles in 3D environments either.

I now officially hate Team Ninja's/Other M's portrayal of Samus. They made cry like a little girl. Like a little girl.

She crys like a little girl at the mere sight of Ridley. She has fought this bastard 7 times prior to this that we know of, and beat him 6 of those times, and you're telling me she crys like a little girl in fear seeing him again for the 8th time? NO! Samus crying like a little girl should not be happening for any reason, and Ridley being one of them has lost all believability at this point in the timeline.

Too much inner monolouge was bad enough, but I totally lost it after witnessing that.

(If you reply to this message, please no spoilers after that point of the game. That's where I stopped playing for the day.)

*HEADDESK*

OK, listen. First, at the beginning after Samus escapes the explosion of Planet Zebes, she states that "There were no remains of Ridley.", so, she THINKS he's dead. But then he comes back out of nowhere. Now, remember, Ridley KILLED her parents RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER! Now, when Ridley appeared, Samus technically thought NOTHING could kill him.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

I still don't get the control issues, because I'm not having any issues. Stop having pussy hands, SuperLink. :P

Not my fault the developer purposefully avoided comfort and small learning curves in favour of "feeling retro", which is one of the most retarded reasons for a design mistake I've ever heard.

I sure do love spoilers.

Even so, major inconsistencies there.

- Zero Mission - Samus' first fight with Ridley ever, no crying breakdown shit.

- She fights him two times in the Prime series, doesn't bat an eyelid

- Again in Super Metroid, she calls him her nemesis, she doesn't piss her pants when he steals the baby in front of her eyes.

Samus is a destroyer of entire planets, species. The thought that Samus would think nothing could kill one Space Dragon (a race which is pretty much extinct save for Ridley and a few others) is just bullshit.

Edited by SuperLink

Nah, man. It totally is, because I'm not seeing any issues. THAT MEANS THEY DON'T EXIST.

*Internet*

But, really, man. The only thing I can suggest, to ease the discomfort, is to forget about moving in a full 3D plane because Samus does it automatically anyway.

But, really, man. The only thing I can suggest, to ease the discomfort, is to forget about moving in a full 3D plane because Samus does it automatically anyway.

Actually on that note, I'd like to comment on how fantastic the camera is, it really makes everything so much easier to navigate than most similar games I've played.

And yes that does work a lot of the time, but for fast paced battles and running around the huge wide areas, the D-Pad is still a pain in the arse.

I think the deal with that bit is that they had the right idea with Samus' portrayal - I mean, wouldn't you freak when you realize BLOWING UP A GODDAMN PLANET can't kill something? - but went a little overboard. It was a good idea, they just made her too weak. It would have been better if it was a bit toned down.

Also PSI you need to fucking learn not to spoil things, jesus christ.

• Thumbs Up 1