Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

*HEADDESK*

OK, listen. First, at the beginning after Samus escapes the explosion of Planet Zebes, she states that "There were no remains of Ridley.", so, she THINKS he's dead. But then he comes back out of nowhere. Now, remember, Ridley KILLED her parents RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER! Now, when Ridley appeared, Samus technically thought NOTHING could kill him.

a) I've already explained that I don't find it believable that Samus would still be suffering from her childhood trama when she's faced and killed this asshole 6 times now. That's like someone who's afraid of heights and went on 6 skydrives, from space.

b ) He's been revived several times before through unexplained methods. Retro even screwed in in Prime 3 and had Omega Ridley vanish completely, no body. It might be a shock to see him alive AGAIN, but not piss your pants, remember childhood trama shock, especially not for someone as disciplined and coolheaded as Samus.

Edited by Yong
  • Thumbs Up 2

For all those complaining about purple glow being on all the time:

The gravity upgrade only activates when in water or areas with messed up gravity.

Yeah, I doubt it's really a spoiler. But you know.

Oh lawdy I just met that scientist chick, shit is getting real. If the story keeps this up, my opinion of this game definitely going to be getting better.

Now, remember, Ridley KILLED her parents RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER! Now, when Ridley appeared, Samus technically thought NOTHING could kill him.

And she killed his ass dead 6 times at that point, including blowing up a fucking planet the previous time. Some emotion could have been made because he really should have died the previous time, but not the pants shitting terror that she displayed.

Also, childhood trauma would have been a perfectly acceptable excuse the first time she met him. Not the seventh.

Edited by Tornado

Well while I was just playing it I had some kind of realisation.

Even though the cutscenes are too melo and the controls are a bit bleh, the gameplay itself is as "Metroidy" as I could have hoped for. The puzzles, the secrets, it's all very well laid out, it reminds me of Fusion (except with worse plot pacing lolol)

I think Other M is a worthy Metroid title, it may not be as amazing as Super or Fusion, but I was wrong about it (again lol, I have a pessimism problem that I need to stomp out, it must come from being a Sonic fan ;D) Infact it makes me want to give the Prime "masterpieces" another chance.

/metroidlovepost

Personally that bit in Corruption in the metroid holding area when the power cuts off and you're roaming around dark hallways with screeching and phazon metroids literally appearing out of the walls, well it rather scared the shit out of me.

Okay yeah that was actually decently creepy during the whole section. Not so much that it was scary, but being Metroid nerd I am, the second that body on the door disintegrated I just went "Oh FUCK." and just fired my ice missiles at anything that moved.

It didn't help that those were not the Metroids I knew, these fuckers had something diffrent and oh my god what if they're not hurt by the cold what should I do.

Also Fusion is not scary and we all know it. It's the most atmospheric 2-D Metroid game by far, but it's a long way from pure fear. Especially when there's one part where you run from the SA-X and it's not that bad.

Ridley going from dead fucker super metroid sprite to holy shhhiiiittt was pretty great though.

And she killed his ass dead 6 times at that point, including blowing up a fucking planet the previous time. Some emotion could have been made because he really should have died the previous time, but not the pants shitting terror that she displayed.

Also, childhood trauma would have been a perfectly acceptable excuse the first time she met him. Not the seventh.

She'd only defeated him FOUR times by that point, actually. And that's just fought him. Samus can mentally handle a robotic version of her nemesis fueled by whatever remained of him after each fight, and every fight left open the possibility of him returning. Until Super Metroid. She blew up the planet he was on, AFTER KILLING HIM. He was gone, dead, done. That was it, nothing left for another robot.

The fact that he not only comes back, but from traces of DNA left on Samus' suit is enough to scare her.

This is the first and only time he's truly come back without a robotic body after being killed. After Other M, you can assume he was frozen and taken over by the X, his body even crumbles into dust. He's done.

Edited by Nathan Farnsworth

She'd only defeated him FOUR times by that point, actually.

And what a difference that should make, apparently?

And that's just fought him. Samus can mentally handle a robotic version of her nemesis fueled by whatever remained of him after each fight, and every fight left open the possibility of him returning. Until Super Metroid. She blew up the planet he was on, AFTER KILLING HIM. He was gone, dead, done. That was it, nothing left for another robot.

I'm not seeing how the jump from "omigod now he's back as a robot" to "omigod he's back again, and totally not a robot" justifies "I'm gonna stand here screaming and pissing myself because for some reason I just can't handle Ridley coming back to life when he totally should be dead even though I've already killed him multiple times and he's never stayed dead before."

And the "But Ridley killed her parents" corollary that is being used to justify it makes even less sense.

Edited by Tornado

That's... like every area in Metroid ever. Brinstar is mostly blue, Noirfair is red/brown. Sector 2 consists of literally all green shades. Even the environment in the Prime games have a basic color scheme the whole level fits into.

Maybe that was the wrong way to put it. Maybe I should have just said the colors that are there aren't detailed to the same extent as in most Metroid games. Compare:

metroid_fusion.jpgsuper_metroid.jpg

Look at these two. Even if each sector of the game has a definitive color scheme, at least each block is individualized and defined. Hell, in fusion, at least the "backstage" rooms feel distinguishable based on each sector. In Other M, most of the rooms that don't immediately display level elements feel interchangable.

metroid_hud1.png

Now Metroid Prime. Phendrana Drifts is perhaps one of my favorite levels in any video game. It may be an ice level at heart, but it holds a temple, a lab, a frosty valley, and the creatures there actually feel like a unique part of the environment. Zoomers and shriekbats always seem to inhabit any planet, but the Sheegoths and... those icicle things all contribute to making it look like its own one-of-a-kind ecosystem. (Yes, I know there are ice shriekbats, but at least Retro bothered to differentiate them than just use the exact same species. Besides, you only see them like once or twice.)

metroid-other-m-e3-2010-screenshot.jpg2010-04-04%2009-01-28-80.jpg

Now look at these. FIRE FIRE FIRE. ICE ICE ICE. They just don't feel like more than a generic volcanic or frozen environment. Remember how Ice Cap Zone had beautifully organized crystallization patterns in the backdrop? Remember how Lethal Lava Land had a Bowser puzzle and a log situated on top of a rail floating in lava. Even the most subtle things can alter how an environment stands out, no matter how many times the paradigm has been used before. But here, we just have lava and rocks, then ice and stalagmites. And again, we've seen most of these guys before. There isn't really much room for surprise. But again, I'm only about, what, a third of the way in? I'm still giving it a chance to.

Also I love how you used Dark Aether, the one with a pallet almost completely consisting of purple, and had little to no scares at all.

In fact, Metroid games aren't scary.

Ever.

Pity you had to add those last two lines, or there would at least be a chance I'd take this post seriously. Now I'm not one to say what a person should or shouldn't find scary, but if this guy

405229-boss_phantoon_super.jpg

this guy

0.jpg

or this... gal?

SA-X_Face.jpg

didn't make you so much as give a flinch, "holy shit" or "what the fuck" of fear, then you may have certain traits of a sociopath and might want to have yourself committed.

But again, if the oozing, six-eyed abomination known as nightmare couldn't ellicit any fear out of you, I can see where you wouldn't be scared by Dark Aether. The only thing that makes me prefer Prime 1 to Echoes is the less linear set up. In terms of the narrative, theres a set up leading to most of the bosses that takes out the potential to scare. But that's not what I'm talking about. When you enter a mockery of a world that you come to understand and trust, and find paths you once followed closed off, a sky and dark setting that would in other cases be associated with a nuclear wasteland with extra purple and ugliness, all potential allies reduced to corpses and when you have never encountered enemies before with a greater understanding of the "homefield advantage" to the point that even the fucking air and water can hurt or kill you and force you to retreat to isolated bubbles, the piercing screeches and bubbly yellow lights are connected to threatening bodies camoflauged in a sea of darkness and these creatures can disintigrate themselves to come and go as they please, I would imagine that at least one of these things can be considered scary, either through atmosphere or context, so excuse me for not thinking Dark Aether sucks.

Edited by Hello. Look at my sig.

When you enter a mockery of a world that you come to understand and trust, and find paths you once followed closed off, a sky and dark setting that would in other cases be associated with a nuclear wasteland with extra purple and ugliness, all potential allies reduced to corpses and when you have never encountered enemies before with a greater understanding of the "homefield advantage" to the point that even the fucking air and water can hurt or kill you and force you to retreat to isolated bubbles, the piercing screeches and bubbly yellow lights are connected to threatening bodies camoflauged in a sea of darkness and these creatures can disintigrate themselves to come and go as they please, I would imagine that at least one of these things can be considered scary, either through atmosphere or context, so excuse me for not thinking Dark Aether sucks.

Woah man, that sentence had over 120 words. Crazy.

So it sure was interesting to see

The Nightmare

show its face again. And when I thought nothing could be creepier than

its face slowly melting and deforming

, it makes noises like a crying baby. Can you say nightmare fuel?

And what a difference that should make, apparently?

She's had only TWO fights with Ridley by that point. Not four, only TWO. And and she's only killed him TWICE. Every other time he escapes.

Imagine if you blew up your worst nightmare with a whole planet, and he managed to not only come back, but he managed to follow you.

I'm not seeing how the jump from "omigod now he's back as a robot" to "omigod he's back again, and totally not a robot" justifies "I'm gonna stand here screaming and pissing myself because for some reason I just can't handle Ridley coming back to life when he totally should be dead even though I've already killed him multiple times and he's never stayed dead before."

And the "But Ridley killed her parents" corollary that is being used to justify it makes even less sense.

Like I said, he's really only died TWICE by this game. The first time was understandable, he was now a robot, but he came back through almost impossible odds. He was blown up with a damned planet. NOTHING should survive that, and if it wasn't for his DNA on Samus' suit, he wouldn't have.

She's understandably upset because not only has the creature who killed an entire colony of humans, and tried to kill her, come back from the dead and through next to stupidly impossible and steep odds, but now he's fully organic and he's been following her.

Pretty fucking scary.

Look at these two. Even if each sector of the game has a definitive color scheme, at least each block is individualized and defined. Hell, in fusion, at least the "backstage" rooms feel distinguishable based on each sector. In Other M, most of the rooms that don't immediately display level elements feel interchangable.

What? No. There's just a lot of blocks that are used. Notice how several of the green circular blocks are all repeated at least three times?

That's hard to do in a 3-D game under any circumstance.

Now Metroid Prime. Phendrana Drifts is perhaps one of my favorite levels in any video game. It may be an ice level at heart, but it holds a temple, a lab, a frosty valley, and the creatures there actually feel like a unique part of the environment. Zoomers and shriekbats always seem to inhabit any planet, but the Sheegoths and... those icicle things all contribute to making it look like its own one-of-a-kind ecosystem. (Yes, I know there are ice shriekbats, but at least Retro bothered to differentiate them than just use the exact same species. Besides, you only see them like once or twice.)

metroid-other-m-e3-2010-screenshot.jpg2010-04-04%2009-01-28-80.jpg

Now look at these. FIRE FIRE FIRE. ICE ICE ICE. They just don't feel like more than a generic volcanic or frozen environment. Remember how Ice Cap Zone had beautifully organized crystallization patterns in the backdrop? Remember how Lethal Lava Land had a Bowser puzzle and a log situated on top of a rail floating in lava.

Both of those Other M shots look like they were ripped from Prime. They look like every Fire and Ice location in Metroid ever.

Also notice how in Fusion, the places that don;t show what the level is immediately, look nearly identical. The first room of every sector is just a recolor of the tiles.

Also the ice place has a lab too right? It was in the announcement trailer.

Pity you had to add those last two lines, or there would at least be a chance I'd take this post seriously.

Oh if you were really scared by any of it, I feel sorry for you.

Now I'm not one to say what a person should or shouldn't find scary, but if this guy

405229-boss_phantoon_super.jpg

this guy

0.jpg

or this... gal?

SA-X_Face.jpg

didn't make you so much as give a flinch, "holy shit" or "what the fuck" of fear, then you may have certain traits of a sociopath and might want to have yourself committed.

Reaction to Phantoon: Oh damn it, this'll be hard.

Reaction to Nightmare: Ewwwww what's wrong with it's face.

Reaction to SA-X: Holy shit. That is so badass. Do I FIGHT that thing?

You're not even using the one place a Metroid game every really made my heart race with adrenaline from just the shock value. The only scare in any Metroid game to ever exist.

404721-boss_crocomire_sm_super.jpg

But again, if the oozing, six-eyed abomination known as nightmare couldn't ellicit any fear out of you, I can see where you wouldn't be scared by Dark Aether.

Dark Aether just annoyed me. I like moving around without getting hurt! Did you know that Retro? Did you know that shit?

When you enter a mockery of a world that you come to understand and trust,

It took me a second to realize it wasn't Zebes too.

and find paths you once followed closed off, a sky and dark setting that would in other cases be associated with a nuclear wasteland with extra purple and ugliness,

Talking to the Galaxy Man here, purple is space colors to me.

all potential allies reduced to corpses

That happens in LIGHT AETHER. Within the first minute.

and when you have never encountered enemies before with a greater understanding of the "homefield advantage"

This enemy lives in lava.

Lava hot.

I do not have a homefield advantage here.

to the point that even the fucking air and water can hurt or kill you and force you to retreat to isolated bubbles,

OH, I see, you're confusing annoyances and boring level design with fear. It's a mistake many people make.

the piercing screeches

My ears bleed just thinking about it.

and bubbly yellow lights are connected to threatening bodies camoflauged in a sea of darkness and these creatures can disintigrate themselves to come and go as they please,

This is why I love missiles. Annoying fuckers? Missile. Problem solved!

I would imagine that at least one of these things can be considered scary,

Well near the end of the game I was sure as hell scared to put the disk in my Gamecube.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

And he's what's gone on with Ridley so far.

Metroid, he died and his remains were rebuilt, heart and brain in a cybernetic body.

Prime 1, he's a robot. Falls down a huge cliff, exact amount of damage taken, who knows.

Prime 3, we don't see him land or hit ground the first time, second time he explodes into Phazon. Still robot. Apparently this is the end of Meta-Ridley.

Super Metroid, what the fuck organic again? Oh well blown up with a whole planet, chances of finding remains are non-existent.

Other M, Wait hold on he's still organic, didn't he blow up and oh god he's fucking more beefed out than sirloin steak.

So yeah, it would be like the fifth time he's been around, but only the third as an organic creature. After being blown up with a whole planet, after Samus' rage for him has quelled for him because she thought he was dead for good.

She'd only defeated him FOUR times by that point, actually.
She's had only TWO fights with Ridley by that point. Not four, only TWO.

So which one is it?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Tornado

She's had only TWO fights with Ridley by that point. Not four, only TWO. And and she's only killed him TWICE. Every other time he escapes.

Imagine if you blew up your worst nightmare with a whole planet, and he managed to not only come back, but he managed to follow you.

Like I said, he's really only died TWICE by this game. The first time was understandable, he was now a robot, but he came back through almost impossible odds. He was blown up with a damned planet. NOTHING should survive that, and if it wasn't for his DNA on Samus' suit, he wouldn't have.

She's understandably upset because not only has the creature who killed an entire colony of humans, and tried to kill her, come back from the dead and through next to stupidly impossible and steep odds, but now he's fully organic and he's been following her.

Pretty fucking scary.

Are you counting the Prime series? Cause last time I checked they were canon. Just so we're clear:

1. Metroid 1/Zero Mission: In his lair in Norfair. Killed to the point that he needed to be "rebuilt," but a TKO for Samus none the less.

2. Zero Mission: On the mothership. Beaten, and left there as the ship SELF-DESTRUCTED.

3. Prime 1: At Impact Crater. Beaten, knocked into a chasm.

4. Prime 3: On Norion. Beaten, left to fall to the bottom of a shaft.

5. Prime 3: On Pirate Homeworld. Killed. Vanishes in a puff of smoke.

6. Super Metroid: On Ceres space station. Flees. Only time Samus fails to defeat Ridley.

7. Super Metroid: In Norfair. Killed.

Samus, as far as she knew, would probably have assumed that Ridley was dead after each of those encounters(except 6).

It's really a matter of opinion. Given Samus's personality and demenor, and her previous experience's with Ridley, the way she reacted didn't seem believable and in my opinion Team Ninja/Project M team/Nintendo? dropped the ball here, just to get some unnecessary drama out of the scene.

Edited by Yong
  • Thumbs Up 1

So which one is it?

:rolleyes:

well bluh. wording of that was horrid.

She's had two fights with RIDLEY by that point (the beginning of Other M) is what I meant. As in his organic form. Meta Ridley she's fought like, three times.

I don't really count the beginning of Super Metroid as that's not even a fight, he just attacks you a little and leaves.

EDIT: Also I don't think Robot Ridley is Ridley. It dosen't seem to be made to even look like him completely, while Meta Ridley is almost the same in looks.

I find it funny since the talk about scary monsters above, every single one of those pics of bosses above my post actually return in this game.

Anyways leave my impressions n the game soon, tired now but this will have interesting mixed response.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

What? No. There's just a lot of blocks that are used. Notice how several of the green circular blocks are all repeated at least three times?

That's hard to do in a 3-D game under any circumstance.

How? It's a repeated texture.

Both of those Other M shots look like they were ripped from Prime. They look like every Fire and Ice location in Metroid ever.

Yes, but at least the other Fire and Ice levels stand out. Norfair, Phendrana, Magmoor- they all had established and detailed structures- artificial and natural alike. There's NOTHING in Other M's levels but the basic elements.

Also notice how in Fusion, the places that don;t show what the level is immediately, look nearly identical. The first room of every sector is just a recolor of the tiles.

That's my point. Other M couldn't even bother to make the lab rooms look unique!

Also the ice place has a lab too right? It was in the announcement trailer.

I am aware of this.

Oh if you were really scared by any of it, I feel sorry for you.

I think you missed my point- absolutely nothing in Other M scared me! ... okay until Nightmare anyway.

Reaction to Phantoon: Oh damn it, this'll be hard.

And what, perchance, drove you to that conclusion? His appearance?

Reaction to Nightmare: Ewwwww what's wrong with it's face.

Dude, his face is oozing six eyes. There is a point where ugly alone should fuck your mind.

Reaction to SA-X: Holy shit. That is so badass. Do I FIGHT that thing?

You do remember you were being stalked by an invincible tank in an abandoned space lab? Dead Space did they exact same thing and even that couldn't build up the same tension.

You're not even using the one place a Metroid game every really made my heart race with adrenaline from just the shock value. The only scare in any Metroid game to ever exist.

404721-boss_crocomire_sm_super.jpg

Really? Fucking Crocomire? That was the first time I LAUGHED in a Metroid game because of how ridiculous it looked. It's like a bird-reptile with really lanky arms. If you were really scared by that, I feel sorry for you. ;)

Dark Aether just annoyed me. I like moving around without getting hurt! Did you know that Retro? Did you know that shit?

It's not a big deal. The only time it's an actual obstacle is in Agon before you get the Dark Suit. After that, it extracts HP at the same rate the bubbles heal you, so it really just adds to the element of claustrophobia without being a legitamate hazard.

It took me a second to realize it wasn't Zebes too.

Eh?

Talking to the Galaxy Man here, purple is space colors to me.

Fine, nuclear holocaust in space. It's more about the tone and shading than the color itself to me.

That happens in LIGHT AETHER. Within the first minute.

I was thinking more along the fact that there was no chance there were ANY allies in Dark Aether. At least in Light Aether you had U-Mos.

This enemy lives in lava.

Lava hot.

I do not have a homefield advantage here.

Yeah, but if his advantage is in the lava, then he has to come OUT of the lava to fight you, and since you are not a lava dweller, YOU have the homefield advantage. However, you HAVE to enter Dark Aether to win the war against the Ing, where they are strongest.

OH, I see, you're confusing annoyances and boring level design with fear. It's a mistake many people make.

Again, the air- BFD. And the water is just an alternative to lava.

My ears bleed just thinking about it.

Granted, they're not as bad as the Metroids. It's more or less the context that gets to me.

This is why I love missiles. Annoying fuckers? Missile. Problem solved!

Yeah, unless they plan on deflecting it when they phase out.

Well near the end of the game I was sure as hell scared to put the disk in my Gamecube.

I was really stuck on the Emperor Ing the first time, so for a while so was I.

Edited by Hello. Look at my sig.

Nathan I have to say you're the odd one out with what scared you in Metroid. D8

Plus, Samus has killed Ridley before and seen him come to life.

In the original game, Ridley is killed, and throughout the Prime series he is in the process of being rebuilt and this process is delayed because Samus keeps defeating Meta Ridley.

However in Super Metroid he (and Kraid) have both been rebuilt fully organically. Samus seems him in a dark abandoned lab stealing the baby, if she didn't throw a hissy fit then, she has very little reason to do it now.

And yeah as of Fusion it's (probably not) safe to say that Ridley is dead. There is no Metroid vaccine to save him. If they bring him back for Metroid 5, it would be the biggest loophole in Metroid history.

Nathan I have to say you're the odd one out with what scared you in Metroid. D8

Plus, Samus has killed Ridley before and seen him come to life.

In the original game, Ridley is killed, and throughout the Prime series he is in the process of being rebuilt and this process is delayed because Samus keeps defeating Meta Ridley.

However in Super Metroid he (and Kraid) have both been rebuilt fully organically. Samus seems him in a dark abandoned lab stealing the baby, if she didn't throw a hissy fit then, she has very little reason to do it now.

And yeah as of Fusion it's (probably not) safe to say that Ridley is dead. There is no Metroid vaccine to save him. If they bring him back for Metroid 5, it would be the biggest loophole in Metroid history.

Not if they have a reason, though there are a few clues in Metroid Other M about things to happen in future games. Lets just say there are a few things at the end of Other M left VERY open...

However it could just be another game after Other M and before Fusion. Come on Nintendo we need to move on to Metroid V eventually.

Still too tired to leave full impressions but I will say I loved some of the ideas behind the game and had the most fun in boss battles, story moments, and a few areas that really shined in the game. I thought there were some beautiful things, and maybe I am just more accepting of bad voice acting but I liked the story in Other M very much. The problem with the game is that between the bosses, between the story, between the shining gameplay moments is a lot of boring fluff that can get very repetitive. I also agree I think the last third of the game is the best part.

Also I think people are blowing the Ridley thing out of context. In my opinion it feels much more natural in the flow of the game and especially with all the things that lead up to it. Not perfect execution but it seems to mainly be people whining over an idea rather than a purpose. Like it or not it happened, and doubt it or not I don't care what any of you guys say, dealing with so much stress and the Deleter and shit only for the thing that killed your parents and just won't fucking die to show up would screw with me too. That and without saying too much this is a moment in the game where things start going very, very wrong for Samus so things only get worse and more stressful. That and since story wasn't a huge part of Metroid until Fusion it is showing the progress of Samus being a heroine and bounty hunter really growing up after her experiences in Super Metroid and dealing with her past. Like it or not, that is what this game is about in essence. It's about Samus coming to terms with herself really and having something like a mid-life crisis in a very stressful situation and still very young.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

She goes through so much more in Fusion, dealing with a creepy AI that reminds her of the only man she ever really trusted, being stalked by an almost godly powered parasite who stole her identity, lack of contact with the outside world, heck, she died at the beginning of the game.

Yet in Fusion she remains cool calm at collected at almost all times, only to lose herself a little towards the end when she discovered the Metroids.

To be fair she has probably been through so much by that point that she's been desensitised, but I really would have appreciated more of a "badass" approach to Samus. Not an "uncaring jerk" approach per-se, those are different things, an approach that makes her just keep strongly clinging to hope, no matter how dire the situation. Other M isn't really making me any more attached to her than I already am, so if you ask me they've failed in that aspect.

Imo Fusion is the best portrayal of her character by far.

For all those complaining about purple glow being on all the time:

The gravity upgrade only activates when in water or areas with messed up gravity.

Yeah, I doubt it's really a spoiler. But you know.

So I was right.

Anyway, fucking finally. The mag that I subscribed to finally came back to me about the shit along with the game as the subscription gift.

Now I just have to pay and wait atleast another 2 weeks before I actually get it. Super sigh.

She goes through so much more in Fusion, dealing with a creepy AI that reminds her of the only man she ever really trusted, being stalked by an almost godly powered parasite who stole her identity, lack of contact with the outside world, heck, she died at the beginning of the game.

She went into a coma with a very small survival chance but she never died.

Yet in Fusion she remains cool calm at collected at almost all times, only to lose herself a little towards the end when she discovered the Metroids.

No, remember, not the Metroids. She's quiet during all that, it isn't until Adam lets it slip that there is more than one SA-X does she start talking, and she's freaking out.

She could stay calm during the Metroids. That's not too big of a deal, they're gone now, oh well Federation.

But the idea that there is more than one copy of her, only one of which could easily kill her and destroy several Federation vessels, seven or nine of her could almost literally destroy everything.

That's what freaks her out.

Hey, isn't that something Ridley tries to do? Oh, and what about when he destroyed the entire colony Samus was on, and before that when she tried to make friends with him, he almost ate her.

But no, he just killed her mother right in front of her.

Other M isn't really making me any more attached to her than I already am, so if you ask me they've failed in that aspect.

Well at the same time, I'm a Metroid fanatic. I've tried to derive her personality from the games just by how she acts during cutscenes (this is why the Prime series is so great.)

And honestly? This is how I sort of always imagined her.

She's a badass, she's powerful and she knows it, but she's still a person. She still gets scared, she's still got problems, she just also happens to be more powerful than her fears. Does that make her less afraid of them? Hell no. It's an irrational fear she has, she's mortally afraid of these creatures she's beaten before.

It's a very human fear.

Imo Fusion is the best portrayal of her character by far.

It's also the one without bad voice acting.

It's also the one without bad voice acting.

Even without voice acting, Samus was a lot more "badass who can make the impossible possible" in Fusion.

Before Gurren Lagann.

She's barely badass at all in Other M, so I'm naturally disappointed.

Also, yes, say what you will about how Samus reacting to Ridley is "okay"

But the fact remains that she did not react in a way that made her paralysed with fear for about a whole minute, even the first time she ever fought him, or the first time he was revived from the dead.

There's nothing about the situation in Other M that makes her confrontation with him any more traumatic than those two pivotal events in previous games.

Because of her being paralysed with fear, Anthony died. Samus would not have let that happen in any other Metroid

Anyway, enough of that.

I just saw a bunch of cutscenes with "that gal" and now I'm on my way to an uncharted place, I've come across a boss. Beware of spoilers:

FUCKING NIGHTMARE HOLY SHIT WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE

This is easily the biggest surprise in the game so far, for me. I really didn't expect this at all.

This game has so many similarities with Fusion. The Metroid revival project, the Galactic Federation plans that go wrong because of Samus' intervention... I don't have a problem with it really, I'm just a bit upset that it kinda really demeans the events of Fusion.

But the fact remains that she did not react in a way that made her paralysed with fear for about a whole minute, even the first time she ever fought him, or the first time he was revived from the dead.

Because Nintendo didn't really give two cents about future plotline, direction and complex and expensive cutscenes when Metroid was first concieved?

Edited by Columind

Anyway, enough of that.

I just saw a bunch of cutscenes with "that gal" and now I'm on my way to an uncharted place, I've come across a boss. Beware of spoilers:

FUCKING NIGHTMARE HOLY SHIT WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE

This is easily the biggest surprise in the game so far, for me. I really didn't expect this at all.

This game has so many similarities with Fusion. The Metroid revival project, the Galactic Federation plans that go wrong because of Samus' intervention... I don't have a problem with it really, I'm just a bit upset that it kinda really demeans the events of Fusion.

I was also plesantly surprised. Other M might has well been Fusion 3D. The setting, characters, bosses, and plot are all the same. I mean really.

Of course it makes sense. Nightmare had to have existed before an X could have infected it. And Nightmare was under GF control. Just no one expected Samus to have fought it prior to Fusion.

But Samus having undercovered a GF Metroid breeding program prior to Fusion certainly does make the one unveiled in Fusion less impactful. AI Adam certainly wasn't kidding when he said "You must have suspected it by now." They could've made Bottle Ship run by anyone else other than the GF. But no, let's give more bait for Samus to trust her government even less.