Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

I was reading through the NP review. They gave it an 8.5. The only problems they mention are the D-pad controls, the story, and Samus's upgrades.

They found the D-pad to work fine after about a half hour but they could see people having trouble getting into them.

They say the story has it's ups and downs. They say Samus's inner monologues are a major down point because "she delivers awkward dialog with lifeless voice acting." Also it's said that a key mystery is never given a clear answer. However they do say the events leading up the the inevitable Samus/Ridley showdown were incredibly tense and managed to achieve an emotional impact.

As for upgrades it's more of a gripe then a real issue. Adam authorizes Samus's upgrades, which is fine for the upgrades that could put people in danger, like bombs. However Samus could at any time put on her Varia suit but will not do so until Adam gives the go ahead. They say it's silly because all the Varia suit does is help protect Samus so it doesn't make sense for her to wait for the go ahead from Adam.

Edited by speedfreak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CZqO5Z5uxU

I present to you, the US commercial for Other M in all its glory! Makes me want to go back and watch the US Prime ad again.

WOW. This is actually pretty cool. It reminds me of the live-action ads for the Halo games:

Anyways, I've been watching a lot of videos of Metroid: Other M. I'm not a fan of the Metroid series, but dammit, I want to play this game!

Edited by Dr. SEGA Monkey

From now on Ridley's eye's will glow purple to signify that he's Ridley. However the development team felt purple didn't fit right for a space dragon, so now he's green.

To be fair, Ridley was kind of blackish Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Prime (with a bit of purple/blue tint, though).

I just had a slightly horrible realisation that will not bug a lot of you but kinda upsets me because I really love the Gravity Suit okay.

Samus doesn't have the Gravity Suit in the CGI flashback battle against Mother Brain.

Samus doesn't get the Gravity Suit in Other M, she gets an aura instead.

The Gravity Suit has been completely retconned out of series canon.

Wow T_T that's kinda upsetting.

I just had a slightly horrible realisation that will not bug a lot of you but kinda upsets me because I really love the Gravity Suit okay.

Samus doesn't have the Gravity Suit in the CGI flashback battle against Mother Brain.

Samus doesn't get the Gravity Suit in Other M, she gets an aura instead.

The Gravity Suit has been completely retconned out of series canon.

Wow T_T that's kinda upsetting.

I don't think that's why. Couldn't you turn suits off in Super?

Not to mention, it's the Varia suit. That's Samus' thing, you know? It's the most basic, most recognizable suit.

There's a nice little preview of Other M "play through preview" on the tube for you. After watching some of it, I made one Special horrifying discovery....

IT HAS AN CUTE EVIL BABY CHICKEN WITH A STARE THAT DESTROYS YOUR SOUL!

That's all folks, and you get your morph ball bombs authorized after defeating that weird purple bug thing =P

Adam doesn't "plan" on authorizing the use of power bombs because:

They have the ability to spread high temperature heat wave over a large area, impacting living things. Which is a nice way of saying they can vaporize humans instantly.

Edited by Jetronic

And people thought making the games more objective based was bad. Authorizing upgrades? Are you kidding? It's no f'ing wonder Samus hates having COs on missions.

And fanboys have a right to rage about the new "gravity suit," especially based on the biased reasoning the creators stated for doing such. It's almost as bad as changing Superman's costume, which they did at one time, and guess what, fanboys raged.

I'm still excited for the game though. But all these changes are filling me with dread. If they filled me with Metroid Dread that'd be another story. But Nintendo is not giving the go on #5 for god knows why.

And people thought making the games more objective based was bad. Authorizing upgrades? Are you kidding? It's no f'ing wonder Samus hates having COs on missions.

It is almost exactly the same as getting the upgrades you know. The only difference is that you don't pick anything up.

It is almost exactly the same as getting the upgrades you know. The only difference is that you don't pick anything up.

Yeah, but sometimes its just retarded like the magazine said. Why isn't Samus allowed to use her Varia Suit from the start?

Functionally, yeah, but logically, it's a pretty big kick in the balls. It's like comparing the artifact/key collecting of the first two Primes to the Space Batteries of Prime 3. Functionally Prime 3's hunt works a lot better since a lot of them are well-integrated into your normal progress through the game, and they have a sensible and tangible use. In the first two games they're basically just magical key fragments that you might not even know about until you're a good chunk of the way through the game and most of which you won't get until very late in the game.

But, while the magical key fragments are designed for one specific door, and are presumably the only thing that can open the door, the Space Batteries are just...Space Batteries. You should be able to find hundreds of them in a storage closet, not have to scrounge around every inch of several planets just to find a few more. It's a major logic crash. And this authorization stuff is like that, but more, since collecting items is one of the most important aspects of Metroid games.

It's certainly not going to ruin the game, but it is an annoyance. And it's not as if anyone would bat an eye at seeing Chozo tech randomly strewn around the game, since that's how it's always worked in the past.

Edit:

and typical Metroid-style exploration isn't even worth the trouble (partially because of how the abilities are locked away).
Oh man, I didn't even think of that. Yeah, this sucks, and hard. No more searching around for new powerups, just missiles and junk. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1

GamesRadar gave it a 7. Basically had three main negatives: The first several hours of the game are a chore to slog through, combat rapidly becomes unfun until the bosses pile up towards the end of the game (partially because of the controls, but mostly because of lack of variety), and typical Metroid-style exploration isn't even worth the trouble for most of the game (partially because of how the abilities are locked away). Basically, the last third of the game saves it. Edited by Tornado

GamesRadar gave it a 7. Basically had three main negatives: The first several hours of the game are a chore to slog through, combat rapidly becomes unfun until the bosses pile up towards the end of the game (partially because of the controls, but mostly because of lack of variety), and typical Metroid-style exploration isn't even worth the trouble for most of the game (partially because of how the abilities are locked away). Basically, the last third of the game saves it.

So basically it's Final Metroid XIII.

Edit: Oh man, I didn't even think of that. Yeah, this sucks, and hard. No more searching around for new powerups, just missiles and junk.

I didn't think of it either and quite honestly... now that I have it kind of sucked a lot of the potential fun from the game. Exploration is a lot less fun without expecting to find something cool. Combat is nothing special when you aim automatically...

Really if I had thought of all this before I probably wouldn't be getting the game day one. But hey, three more days... so we'll see if it's worth it soon enough.

Edit: Oh man, I didn't even think of that. Yeah, this sucks, and hard. No more searching around for new powerups, just missiles and junk.

They actually specifically said that the missile tank increases were practically useless because of the reload feature in the game.

IGN gave it an 8.5 and G4 gave it a 2/5...not sure who to believe, but being a Metroid fanboy I will be finding out for myself.

"Nintendo, make a great story for Metroid!"

*Nintendo tries*

"NO! GO BACK TO CLASSIC METROID!"

Fusion had a great story.

Other M is just doing things wrong.

Lol, I pronounce so many things wrong xD First Zebus, now Ninja Gaiden (I've been saying Ninja Gayden) and Ridley (I've been saying Raidley).

'Despite all the complaints in the test, it made me want the game more :-/

One thing sucks, though: No Logbook Scans :(

Oh, and I'd personally rather have a lot of story than a little..

So far the game is looking pretty good. True, the Metroid Prime series may have had some higher grades overall, but anything that's getting consistent 8.5's is good enough for me. I don't see how it's shocking that the game is short, though. No Metroid game has ever been long, the Prime games really weren't either.

I'm actually getting progressively more worried ._.

No Metroid game has had such a low aggregate so early before... pretty much every Metroid (aside from Hunters) up until now has been critically acclaimed for the most part. It's already had scores as low as 6.5 and 7...

People talk about managing expectations, but when I'm expecting a game on the level of Super/Fusion, so say I'm a little disappointed is a bit of an understatement.

On the plus side, I will undoubtedly enjoy it more than the Prime games, which for the life of me I can't enjoy.

I hate missing out. ._. Idk what's wrong with me.

Edited by SuperLink

First:

I just 100%ed the game and I can tell you without a doubt that this is a very worthy addition to the franchise. It really grows on you as you play. The only reason I am commenting though is to talk about some of the main concerns and tell you all about some of the extra content.

First off one of the main concerns of the game is its linearity. I can't really give you much hope there as the majority of the story you are restricted to what Adam allows you to use. Not to mention he seems to have a tendency to lock doors behind you stopping you from running back right after an "upgrade" and go find goodies. This game really caters to the Metroid Fusion fans in it's pacing. I don't know how many Metroid fans will be unhappy with this one.

However as soon as you finish the game you are allowed to wander the game world to your hearts content and find what will probably be around 30 to 40% of the items you really had no chance to get (again because Adam is locking doors like a fool). Even cooler than all of this is that you will encounter another Boss which is endgame exclusive, pretty tough, and totally awesome!

I was really bummed with the bonuses upon my first completion so I put in the extra time and 100% the game. Upon doing so I was greeted with the much rumored Hard Mode. Haven't tinkered with it yet but I can't be sure that other than damage inflicted and whatnot there will be much of a difference as you are already only receiving 1 missile per upgrade any who. I can also say that for sure you can skip cut-scenes on your second play through! While I really enjoyed the story of this game if I want to watch any cut-scenes I am sure I'll just use the Gallery mode and pick'em

TL:DR version

Don't listen to the reviews(I shouldn't have to say this we are all smart people around here(I hope))!

The Game does indeed open up and you get to run around and spank some dudes like its going out of style

There is a hidden boss and boy does he kick some booty

Unlocks are.. Gallery Mode, Sound Test, and at 100% Hard mode.

And if you want to know:

The optional boss is Phantoon from Super Metroid.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!