Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

I'm going to be honest. I never liked the Gravity Suit anyway, it was just a purple varia suit. Now the suits they introduced in Echoes, that was some cool looking crap.

I'm going to be honest. I never liked the Gravity Suit anyway, it was just a purple varia suit. Now the suits they introduced in Echoes, that was some cool looking crap.

I personally hated all the "grimdark mature lololol" suits from MP2 and 3. Way to Halo up the series Retro. (Although the Light Suit is a guilty pleasure of mine considering most of the series' original items/lore)

I highly doubt Other M will have alt costumes at this rate, they could atleast give us the option to display the classic Gravity Suit.

Seriously, to everyone saying "Lol I never liked it anyway this is a good design choice", what about all the fans that loved it? I'm not saying it's worth making a big deal over, but it was a pretty silly decision and not only does it screw with the series canon, it makes fans of the costume worry that we'll ever see it again :|

Edited by SuperLink

I personally hated all the "grimdark mature lololol" suits from MP2 and 3. Way to Halo up the series Retro.

I highly doubt Other M will have alt costumes at this rate, they could atleast give us the option to display the classic Gravity Suit.

Seriously, to everyone saying "Lol I never liked it anyway this is a good design choice", what about all the fans that loved it? I'm not saying it's worth making a big deal over, but it was a pretty silly decision and not only does it screw with the series canon, it makes fans of the costume worry that we'll ever see it again :|

It kinda bugs me, but it's really nothing compared to what they pulled with Metroid Fusion.

710754-metroid_fusion_super.jpg

Yuck.

Way to throw Samus's iconic suit out the window Nintendo. I really hope by the time they get around to making a "Metroid 5" they come up with some way to have Samus back to her old glory. And no, the final suit in Fusion isn't close enough.

It kinda bugs me, but it's really nothing compared to what they pulled with Metroid Fusion.

710754-metroid_fusion_super.jpg

Yuck.

Way to throw Samus's iconic suit out the window Nintendo. I really hope by the time they get around to making a "Metroid 5" they come up with some way to have Samus back to her old glory. And no, the final suit in Fusion isn't close enough.

But there was a wonderful canonical reason for that suit.

Samus dies, and she has to be surgically attached to a new suit using the Metroid DNA in order for her to sustain her life.

Considering the suit is pretty much Samus' suit as her "new body", with a kind of Metroid vibe going on.

That's just brilliant.

Nothing about the Dark Suit or Light Suit had a massive canonical impact like that :|

Those were the only suits I ever cared for in any Metroid game ever, I admit.

Light Suit looks like the magnificent link between Transformers and iPod.

I guess, I just don't like seeing something as iconic as Samus's original suit being thrown away. Imagine never seeing Link in his green tunic, or Mario in his overalls again. She should have got her original suit back when she

absorbed the SA-X

at the end of the game.

It's close...

metroidfusion01.png

...but I'm still going to miss the original when Metroid 5 eventually rolls around.

Edited by speedfreak

I guess, I just don't like seeing something as iconic as Samus's original suit being thrown away. Imagine never seeing Link in his green tunic, or Mario in his overalls again. She should have got her original suit back when she absorbed the SA-X at the end of the game.

It's close...

metroidfusion01.png

...but I'm still going to miss the original when Metroid 5 eventually rolls around.

Well I think the main difference between Metroid and Mario/Zelda is that...

Metroid has quite a strong sense of continuity, unlike other Nintendo games, Metroid continues, we play more games to find out the stories of Samus and Metroids.

There could be a perfectly good canonical reason to have Samus return to her classic suit in Metroid 5, besides she was able to leave her suit and live at the end of Fusion, so I assume she made a near full recovery thanks to the SA-X.

I'll actually miss the Fusion Suit if we never see it again. I think the whole Metroid theme to it was brilliant, it really gave us a feeling of, despite the Metroid species being pretty much extinct, the titular creature still plays a vital part in Samus' life.

I hope that doesn't change if Metroid 5 ever rolls around.

EDIT: I'm not sure how many people realised this (I'm sure a lot of you have), but the Fusion suit is quite heavily based on the appearance of a Metroid.

It's got that ectoplasmic feel to it, the arm spikes like the Metroid's fangs, and the blotches all over the suit like a Metroid's eyes, or like some kind of science experiment gone wrong.

So really in Fusion, Samus is a "Metroid" in more than one way.

- She's not only the Chozo's "ultimate warrior"

- She's also part Metroid, and this is reflected in her new organic suit.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Her Fusion arms make me think of Batman.

Anyway I've driven this thread off topic far enough. Metroid Other M looks great, I'll have it in about a week and a half, and I'll pretend Samus has a smash ball while I run around in Samus's new glowing Gravity suit.

EDIT: I'm not sure how many people realised this (I'm sure a lot of you have), but the Fusion suit is quite heavily based on the appearance of a Metroid.

It's got that ectoplasmic feel to it, the arm spikes like the Metroid's fangs, and the blotches all over the suit like a Metroid's eyes, or like some kind of science experiment gone wrong.

So really in Fusion, Samus is a "Metroid" in more than one way.

- She's not only the Chozo's "ultimate warrior"

- She's also part Metroid, and this is reflected in her new organic suit.

Actually, echoing that thought, if you have a closer look at the Fusion Suit, something even more appealing and awesome can be contributed to the design.

chozo.png

It looks almost exactly like a Chozo. From the small feather-spike things on the arms to the muscle-like hard skin around the body. Which is great, considering Samus has Chozo DNA running through her. It's something I only noticed a year or so ago.

So yeah, Fusion suit is like, both the Chozo's greatest creations (the power suit and Metroid's) combined.

The Fusion suit was awesome, and I'm still waiting for Metroid 5 to use it again.

Edited by Jof
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually, echoing that thought, if you have a closer look at the Fusion Suit, something even more appealing and awesome can be contributed to the design.

chozo.png

It looks almost exactly like a Chozo. From the small feather-spike things on the arms to the muscle-like hard skin around the body. Which is great, considering Samus has Chozo DNA running through her. It's something I only noticed a year or so ago.

So yeah, Fusion suit is like, both the Chozo's greatest creations (the power suit and Metroid's) combined.

The Fusion suit was awesome, and I'm still waiting for Metroid 5 to use it again.

Oh awesome! Thanks for pointing that out o_o

This has lead me to another realisation, that the Chozo perhaps based the Metroid species on themselves in some ways.

Mind = Blown.

Considering the suit is pretty much Samus' suit as her "new body", with a kind of Metroid vibe going on.

That's just brilliant.

It's not just a thing for Samus. Her being in that suit means that part of the Baby Metroid still lives on. So the last Metroid to ever be born and not cloned is now not only a part of Samus, but can now continue with her during her life. As long as Samus is alive now, it's still kinda there. And if she has kids they'll more than likely have the genes too.

It's actually got a pretty wide impact on the story.

Also it looks badass and it's not fucking with anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Superlink: I was more talking the Light Suit, actually. That thing was cool. Fusion suit was pretty cool too.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Personally the Light Suit is my favorite ever even if the effect was kinda boring. Stronger Dark Suit, not so interesting.

Personally the Light Suit is my favorite ever even if the effect was kinda boring. Stronger Dark Suit, not so interesting.

Light Suit was the only suit to look forward too. Dark Suit sucked major ass. I like traveling around without the whole literal fucking world hurting me thank you.

The Light Suit was... ehh. It really didn't feel very Metroid-y to me. The Dark Suit didn't really either, but its ancient look at least fit in a bit with Metroid's usual theme of Samus getting powerups from Chozo ruins and so on. The Light Suit was just too sleek and space-age, I found. Of course, neither one was as bad as the PED Suit, which was a little more colourful but wasn't satisfying to acquire, and could never be upgraded further (at least visually).

The Fusion Suit is my favourite suit variant apart from the classic Power Suit, though. I love love love the Fusion Suit, and I want a Metroid 5 less because I want to see what happens next in the story and more because I want to see that suit in action again.

Edited by Octarine

Of course, neither one was as bad as the PED Suit, which was a little more colourful but wasn't satisfying to acquire, and could never be upgraded further (at least visually).

Well you did get the space pirate shielding on the shoulders, and Samus turned blue over the course of the game. So it kinda works. I do wish it got upgraded more though.

Honestly I did not mind the PED suit at all compared to the horribly boring Dark Suit. It's essentially only the Varia Suit with some extra plating onto it, and for a perfectly acceptable reason as its story related. Plus the entire thing about the phazon overload was awesome.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=134003

- dual-layered disc confirmed

- Team Ninja said they were struggling to make the full game fit

- development came down to shaving seconds off of cut-scenes to fit all the content on the disc

- the team also wanted to keep visual quality high as possible during cut-scenes

- the Gravity Suit is in the game, but it is not represented visually as we usually see it

- Sakamoto wanted the visual design changed, as he felt the traditional look didn't fit with this game

- the screenshot that we've shown of Samus with a purple glow is indeed the Gravity Suit

- the screenshot that we've shown of Samus with a purple glow is indeed the Gravity Suit

purple glow is indeed the Gravity Suit

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

- dual-layered disc confirmed

Fuck yes!

Gravity Suit can go fuck itself. This game is now awesome regardless.

Edited by Columind

The dual-layeredness only means it has a shitload of CGI cutscenes, the game could still be pretty short :|

I'm really going to miss the Gravity Suit :( Purple and Blue are some of my favourite colours ever.

I think I'm going to play Fusion and Super again actually.

The dual-layeredness only means it has a shitload of CGI cutscenes, the game could still be pretty short :|

It doesn't have to be. There will most likely be a fair share between cutscenes and gameplay. Metroid games are usually pretty long on average, except Zero Mission.

And if it is shitload of cutscenes, that means more story which is probably the biggest thing about this game.

It's a win-win situation.

It doesn't have to be. There will most likely be a fair share between cutscenes and gameplay. Metroid games are usually pretty long on average, except Zero Mission.

And if it is shitload of cutscenes, that means more story which is probably the biggest thing about this game.

It's a win-win situation.

Well actually Metroid games are generally pretty short. Most completion bonuses are gotten from 2-3 hours with 100% items.

Which is speed running yeah, but you can get through them bloody quickly if you're not exploring for stuff.

Which is speed running yeah, but you can get through them bloody quickly if you're not exploring for stuff.

Of if you're me, and you get lost in Brinstar constantly when you're not even supposed to be there why are you there how did that happen.

Also Gravity Suit rage. I will not forget. I will not forgive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also Gravity Suit rage. I will not forget. I will not forgive.

The gravity suit thing is strange, but is it really that big of a deal? I'm sure someone probably already brought it up, but this is sounding a lot like the green eyes issue. I mean, I never heard anyone complain about the "gravity suit" in Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, so why start now?