Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

- Sakamoto wanted the visual design changed, as he felt the traditional look didn't fit with this game

fnwajq.jpg

Seriously how the fuck does that make sense. It sure fit fine with every other Metroid game. Why is this one so different that Samus looks "wrong" with a purple suit?

I mean, I never heard anyone complain about the "gravity suit" in Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, so why start now?

That's because it was "a gravity suit". Not the Gravity Suit. It had the same effect but it wasn't the actual suit getting butchered.

That's because it was "a gravity suit". Not the Gravity Suit. It had the same effect but it wasn't the actual suit getting butchered.
Well obviously this isn't "The" gravity suit either. I mean, does that look like The gravity suit? No, that's a glow, The gravity suit is a suit.

Therefore no harm no foul.

Well obviously this isn't "The" gravity suit either. I mean, does that look like The gravity suit? No, that's a glow, The gravity suit is a suit.

Therefore no harm no foul.

But they're calling it the Gravity Suit anyway. It's different if they said it was some magic glow or something that lets her move underwater, but the Gravity Suit is and always has been a purple Varia Suit. Why call it the Gravity Suit when it clearly isn't? It's just stupid.

Now that I think about it, that purple glow managed to distract me from a fairly important realization. If the Gravity Suit is in the game, then obviously underwater/lava sections must be too. I hadn't even considered before now that they might be, for some reason. Maybe this means that we'll get some crazy spacewalk stuff going on as well, although Samus did manage that without the Gravity Suit in Prime.

Side note: am I the only one who's amused at how the official website always writes out BOTTLE SHIP in all caps?

The gravity suit thing is strange, but is it really that big of a deal? I'm sure someone probably already brought it up, but this is sounding a lot like the green eyes issue. I mean, I never heard anyone complain about the "gravity suit" in Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, so why start now?

There's a pretty big difference between the two items. The Gravity Suit has been used in almost every Metroid game so far, and it gives you extra shielding, the ability to go into magma/acid (depends on game) and has an awesome purple color that is actually a fairly large area of the suit. It's a huge change.

The jetpack thing in Echoes just made you be able to fly for a second underwater. That's it. And it was useful like twice. I don't even think it's called a gravity suit in anything but description.

And it's been purple until now. At this point, it's an expected constant. Sonic's green eyes have been around longer than his black. The Gravity Suit hasn't gone away until now.

And honestly, I'd be only a little sad, but again, unlike green eyes, which were part of a general redesign that was made to make Sonic appeal to a wider audience, they changed the Gravity Suit because they didn't like the purple, and it's a pretty big crapload of pure bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 1

- dual-layered disc confirmed

This is the only thing that truly troubles me...

My Copy of brawl died after a year and a half, I pray something like that doesn't happen to me for this. I was never able to play online and i had to reinsert the disc over 10 times before brawl started to work only for it to give me a disk error message 10 minutes in game play. Hopefully things will be ok :(

During development, Team Ninja assumed that Samus would go through her usual colour changes throughout the course of the game as she upgraded her Power Suit, and they modeled the iconic Gravity Suit as well.

We already know the Varia Suit is in the game because we’ve seen Samus go from pale yellow to orange. However, Father Brain of the Metroid franchise, Yoshio Sakamoto, felt that the Gravity Suit, with its purple theme, looked odd and out of place during a series of serious events toward the end of the game. Subsequently, he requested the development team to get rid of it and find another way to indicate to the player that they had the Gravity upgrades equipped.

Instead of the purple add-ons to the Varia Suit, the lights on the chest will now glow purple to indicate that the Gravity upgrade is in effect.

http://www.siliconer...o-gravity-suit/

Personally, I would've either: Made the Gravity suit a color that fits the theme towards the end of the game, or give it a different model that would make the purple theme fit.

It doesn't bother me though(As much as I like the Gravity Suit), I'm more worried about the dual-layered disc issue anyway.

Edited by Jetronic

You've got a dual layered disc for fuck's sake.

Give players the option to equip the Gravity Suit. Is it depressing that noone at Nintendo thought of that?

And it's been purple until now. At this point, it's an expected constant. Sonic's green eyes have been around longer than his black. The Gravity Suit hasn't gone away until now.

The same principle applies even though it's been applied longer and the only real difference is that Sonic's design change became an opinion considered horrible in hindsight once our underdeveloped minds actually started to give a shit or two for nostalgia's sake. If the Gravity Suit would have been implemented two games earlier, people would still be on that.

I for one welcome the glow, as I honestly couldn't give a lesser shit if they decided to sparkle Gravity Suit with rainbows since it's essentially just a very small recolor of the varia suit. The only game it looked good in was Metroid Prime, and most of that game was spent behind a visor which made me ultimately not care. With the new model it looks closer to Melee's shit and it was so contrasting and boring in that game. If that would be the reason they did not add it, I say good riddance.

But hey that's just my opinion man.

But they better not change my fucking Phazon Suit.

Edited by Columind

I don't know how anyone can "like" that tacky glow :| I mean I understand being okay with it, but liking it?

Bloody hell, that glow is just going to look so awkward if you have it on you for the whole latter half of the game.

It would be like playing Smash Bros and always having a Final Smash aura (it looks stupid)

I didn't say I like it. I'm indifferent about it. I say I welcome it as a replacement for this game's context as I can see what the guy was talking about when he said that the Gravity Suit probably wouldn't go well in this game.

But I guess it's easily misinterpreted.

And who knows? Maybe the glow only shines when the Gravity Suit is in effect, not throughout the entire game.

Edited by Columind

The same principle applies even though it's been applied longer and the only real difference is that Sonic's design change became an opinion considered horrible in hindsight once our underdeveloped minds actually started to give a shit or two for nostalgia's sake. If the Gravity Suit would have been implemented two games earlier, people would still be on that.

That's the point. If this was a change made earlier, such as in Prime 1, then it would be fine. I wouldn't like it much, but I wouldn't care that they kept it.

But it's not because the suit has always been like that, and they couldn't do it in the 2-D games, it was changed because they didn't like the coloration of the suit. And I doubt it will last past Other M.

Honestly, it's more like Sonic's super form now being just a yellow glow instead of full yellow out of nowhere and for one game.

And you'll be looking at it the whole time. I don't find Samus' suit glowing constantly a good design choice no matter what.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, it's more like Sonic's super form now being just a yellow glow instead of full yellow out of nowhere and for one game.

That kind of reminds me. Y'know what this Gravity Suit business is exactly like?

Team_Super_Sonic1.png

I guess they thought Knuckles being pink would look odd and out of place during the serious events at end of the game. :P

Edited by Octarine

That kind of reminds me. Y'know what this Gravity Suit business is exactly like?

*Image*

I guess they thought Knuckles being pink would look odd and out of place during the serious events at end of the game.

REAL MEN WEAR PINK, DANGIT (or in this case, change colour to pink). Dan Hibiki is proof of this. :lol:

You know, whatever, they want to change the suit to an awkward, tacky glow, whatever. They make it sound like an actual upgrade to the Varia Suit rather than a new suit and that's a bit less bothersome. But now I'll bitch about something else:

How the fuck does purple "not fit in"? I really just have no idea what that could possibly mean. For what possible reason could Samus' suit have to be orange? I'm drawing a blank here.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, whatever, they want to change the suit to an awkward, tacky glow, whatever. They make it sound like an actual upgrade to the Varia Suit rather than a new suit and that's a bit less bothersome. But now I'll bitch about something else:

How the fuck does purple "not fit in"? I really just have no idea what that could possibly mean. For what possible reason could Samus' suit have to be orange? I'm drawing a blank here.

^That's what I'm thinking too.

Chozos are even sometimes a dark shade of purple. It represents Gravity in the Metroid series (in many series' actually), Space Pirates are often purple. Wave Beam is purple. The Dark World of MP2E and all the Ing are purple.

Purple in the Metroid series represents great power oma.

(Note: OMA stands for Oh My Arceus)

I've always LOVED the Gravity Suit, especially with the other colors. But if this glow is only in water, I'll be fine.

The Dark World of MP2E and all the Ing are purple.
The less I'm reminded of that godawful purple wasteland, the better.

res_1_2.jpg

Hopefully not late but Australia Game Informer Metroid Other M score.

ALSO Gamer Magazine review score and details:

- going into first-person mode is finicky

- third-person combat is very smooth and effortless

- bosses and mini-bosses tend to involve a lot of trial-and-error

- lots of exploration

- Nate Bihldorff (of Treehouse fame) recorded a placeholder voiceover for the tutorial, but they ended up being so impressed with his performance as a nasally scientist that they decided to keep it in the final game

- "It may not be the pinnacle of the series, but longtime fans shouldn't let that deter them from checking out an overall enjoyable experience. Again, it's all about managing your expectations."

Review score: 4 out of 5

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

The less I'm reminded of that godawful purple wasteland, the better.

Agreed, but it was still (arguably) important.

- "It may not be the pinnacle of the series, but longtime fans shouldn't let that deter them from checking out an overall enjoyable experience. Again, it's all about managing your expectations."

My expectations are those set by Fusion and Super, which are amazing games.

And the Prime games are seen as masterpieces by many people.

....Yeah. Expectations are very high.

My expectations are those set by Fusion and Super, which are amazing games.

And the Prime games are seen as masterpieces by many people.

....Yeah. Expectations are very high.

Metroid is a great series. The first is amazing. The second is love/hate. Super is just pure greatness. All the Prime games are pure fun. Zero Mission is short but awesome. Fusion is love.

Essentially, saying this game isn't god fucking amazing shit your pants great... but is still a great fucking game.

Also I love how everyone is saying that the combat and movement is fluid now. What was that? It still uses the dpad WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED NOW?

me.

i guessed.

And the review scores are slowly trickling in...

Nintendo Power review - 8.5

Famitsu review - 9/9/8/9

So it's a good game. Just not necessarily a perfect one.

From now on Ridley's eye's will glow purple to signify that he's Ridley. However the development team felt purple didn't fit right for a space dragon, so now he's green.

• Thumbs Up 3