Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Metroid's really been a series that's never steered me wrong. And while I'm still skeptical about how this new advance fighting style will work out, I doubt this will be an exception given the developer and apparent awesomeness. As for the story, I'm pretty intrigued; it's supposed to give a closer look at Samus' background. I thought it was cool when I heard that man say "any objections lady?" because I'm assuming it's Adam Malkovich who was said to say the same thing to Samus before her missions. It's also giving Samus a speaking role.

One thing I've noticed through the Metroid series is that the story is almost always told through the background of the characters and setting rather than the narrative itself. This seems to be changing here as the story is focused on that background. I'm excited to see how this will play out.

And not to get nitpicky, but I really hope they change the name. I know it will have context of some sort, but "Other M" just sounds... awkward.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Ashurbanipal
Trailer added :)

This is awesome. I despised the Metroid Prime games for the reason that they were first-person shooters. But this looks so much fucking fun! Oh god yes!

Also- Moving Memo is still coming to America, YES!

Always found Metroid Prime very boring. I'm incredibly happy with this, as it looks like the story of the series will finally expand PROPERLY. I love the huge evolution Metroid has taken, while still managing to look more like the 2D titles than ever before.

Easily the 2nd biggest shock of the show. I didn't see such a huge Metroid revolution any time soon.

I'm absolutely chuffed to bits that we're receiving a new Metroid title, that it's a prequel to my first (and favourite) Metroid game, Fusion, and that it looks so completely and utterly epic.

CG: The CG cinematics on display in the trailer looked like a cross between Final Fantasy (the space station, the characters and lighting) and Dr. Who (the massive city reminds me of New Earth's New York), they're absolutely gorgeous and not what I've come to expect from a Wii game. So welcome though, particularly after Prime 3's abominable finale.

Gameplay: What little was shown looked very promising. 2D sidescrolling sections (with hectic battling!) interspersed with interesting 3D FPS segments, and what appeared to be third person bits too. Interesting mix, and hopefully one that will work well.

Verdict: It's a way off yet I expect, but if it lives up to the potential and Nintendo ensures it doesn't hit until the quality reaches a certain average, this is going to be up there with the original Metroid Prime, Super Metroid and, for myself in particular, Metroid Fusion.

I Have to say, I'm not much of a Metroid Fan (Not that I think The Games suck, I personally Just can't get Into them For some Reason, Still Good Series) but this Trailer Looks Pretty Sexy, Heck I didn't Even Recognized it as a Metroid Game at First. (It was Adam's "Any Objections Lady?" That Made me realize that it's Metroid) I quite Dig Those Little Fighting Bit's that were Seen There and Judging by Ninja Gaiden 2 for the 360, This Game Might be Something, That I could Like...alot

also Screens

beauties.jpg

beauties2.jpg

beauties3.jpg

Edited by Mr. Beowolf

I genuinly thought it was Zelda in space at first. I wasn't looking at Samus' chest, just her face, and I really thought it looked like some kind of Star Oceanified Link.

And yes, "Any Objections Lady?" And I knew instantly it was Metroid. I gasped, yelped, and proceeded to be very impressed. For most of it it was just a blur of excitement, I didn't understand what was going on since I was still too shocked by the dramatic change of style.

Metroid Fusion is my favourite Metroid ever. Funnily enough it's also the last proper Metroid before "MP hell" started :(

I'm glad to see Nintendo taking a franchise of their's into another direction, instead of making a generic sequel. I hope they do the same for the next Zelda game.

I hope they do the same for the next Zelda game.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are a clear demonstration of their 'new direction' kick.

True, I suppose. I think I might have to get Phantom Hourglass, that looks quite good.

I am not a big Metroid fan, not saying its bad, but I never really could get into it.

However, this game is on my watch-list, mainly because I love action games. This game looks like an action game, plus its being made by Team Ninja -and- Nintendo. While I haven't been a huge fan of Nintendo as of late either (not going to get into THAT argument xD) this game looks real awesome and makes me almost want to go and buy a Wii.

Its a sci-fi action game. It looks awesome, and most likely will play awesome (Metroid Gaiden!11one).

The only thing is that was that a young Samus in the trailer? The one who is in that city place? I thought she looked nice, but I don't like how they've handled 'older Samus' in terms of looks. Her face looks off to me, dunno why xD. Either way, awesome looking game =)

Haha, you can tell Team Ninja's doing from the screens. For the best or for the worst they've got an easily recognizeable artstyle. Lava monster looks like something out of Ninja Gaiden.

One complaint I'll raise is that the suit material is too plastic-y, I liked Retro's version better. The shaders need to be fixed for a more metallic feel.

Weird to see Samus on close combat too.

Weird to see Samus on close combat too.

Why are people saying this? I don't get what's weird about seeing samus fighting, I mean, we know she's capable of it. How she fights, we seen several examples, so what's so weird about it?

Because it's the first time it's shown up in a Metroid game. Yeah, Samus has a super Chozo blood enhanced body and she can fight hand-to-hand just fine in Smash Bros, but every Metroid game has been about shootin' stuff.

Why are people saying this? I don't get what's weird about seeing samus fighting, I mean, we know she's capable of it. How she fights, we seen several examples, so what's so weird about it?

Because on every Metroid game ever released physical contact with an enemy drains life. Samus has always been about her laser and bomb upgrades. Well, until she gets the screw attack but there's a clear difference between that and juggling Zeta Metroids midair with a down, right, punch combo.

Not that it doesn't make sense anyways, a metal fist in the face's gotta hurt.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are a clear demonstration of their 'new direction' kick.

Other then the controls, how exactly was PH so different then past Zelda games? Felt about the same to me.......except not as good.

Oh and Metroid looks great! Metroid Other M

MOM.......Mother Brain confirmed! Actually I might have seen her in the trailer anyway though. I'm not sure though.

Edited by speedfreak

Other then the controls, how exactly was PH so different then past Zelda games? Felt about the same to me.......except not as good.

Completely new dungeon mechanic, completely new travel mechanic, new types of boss fights made possible through new controls, map annotations. It's rather different to your average Zelda experience.

According to GAF, it's a "Metroid Chronicles" game of sorts with bits from all the Metroid games barring the Prime ones. For instance, the bit towards the end of the trailer shows the fight with Mother brain and the baby Metroid is there too.

MOM.......Mother Brain confirmed! Actually I might have seen her in the trailer anyway though. I'm not sure though.
Or maybe...

Other M

^---------|

MOther

mother3.jpg

Nintendo you crafty dog you.

Edited by Mantyke

Completely new dungeon mechanic, completely new travel mechanic, new types of boss fights made possible through new controls, map annotations. It's rather different to your average Zelda experience.

Those things seem pretty minor to me and honestly PH really didn't feel like some huge departure. I don't really want Zelda to change though so I don't care. Agree to disagree and leave it at that I guess. I don't want to Zelda up this Metroid thread too much.

I love that Samus has a voice now. It bugged me that she never talked in the Prime games when she did in other 2D titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like tons of people here said, I wasnt really into Metroid games because it was BASICALLY a shooting game. But now mixing H2H combat and other stuff, I'm kinda waiting to buy or rent this game.

2nd it would be the 3rd or 4th game I bought for my wii. :P

Like tons of people here said, I wasnt really into Metroid games because it was BASICALLY a shooting game.
Basically yes, but shooting doesn't take up as much of it as the exploration and puzzles.

There's not a whole lot I can gather from the gameplay already shown - so far it looks like they're plastering scripted sequences over our eyes in hopes of hiding the standard gameplay at this point. I was already fooled this way once by the Bourne game. No fucking way in hell is that going to work twice.

But don't get me wrong though, I am still looking forward to this. The concept of a third person Metroid is pretty fucking cool, and to think it took a fucking third party to get Samus to actually speak (seriously Ninty, you couldn't even have it happen in the ending sequence?)... but I'd still like a little reassurance that the gameplay isn't "blast auto-guided projectiles like crap and roll out of the way when people get too close".

Edited by Loudred

I think this got lost on the last page:

According to GAF, it's a "Metroid Chronicles" game of sorts with bits from all the Metroid games barring the Prime ones. For instance, the bit towards the end of the trailer shows the fight with Mother Brain and the Baby Metroid is there too.

It looks and sounds to me like it will be a very cinematic game, switching between different gameplay situations:

2D shooting from all angles

First person target aiming

Third person exploring/combat

All sliced up with gorgeous cut scenes. However, if the implications of the above bit of info bear fruit, it could be that this will be the first Metroid where we don't go exploring for ourselves.