Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

well, the series always had awesome soundtrack...

it's just the writting that has always been shit.

SA2 and Unleashed, and Black Knight kept me interested.

The rest of the games were either meh, or I just don't remember them.

Colors and Generations were laughable, maybe it's just Sonic's voice that irks me.

Though to be honest even in japanese lines like "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!" made me cringe.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Though to be honest even in japanese lines like "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!" made me cringe.

Don't even get me started on how terrible the humor in Japanese Sonic media is.

*Plants a seat down*

I'm game, show me what you got.

I mean... these guys can write a fucking symphony per game, but they aren't capable of basic storytelling.

where did everything go wrong?

Either way, English or Japanese, forced humor like in colors just didn't cut it for me.

Edited by NISA

I mean... these guys can write a fucking symphony per game, but they aren't capable of basic storytelling.

where did everything go wrong?

...When the symphonic side is a completely different section of the industry when it comes to the storytelling department?

They're catering to children, so the humour is fine for them.

...When the symphonic side is a completely different section of the industry when it comes to the storytelling department?

Considering that Disney also caters to children with franchises such as the Lion King, Wreck-it Ralph, Toy Story, and many other animated works, and can make a fine story that even adults can appreciate on their own that's not an excuse.

Kids can handle and appreciate more than you think.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I think you're severely underestimating the intelligence of our youth if that's the attitude you're going to have.

Considering that Disney also caters to children with franchises such as the Lion King, Wreck-it Ralph, Toy Story, and many other animated works, and can make a fine story that even adults can appreciate on their own that's not an excuse.

Kids can handle and appreciate more than you think.

Actually they say in their interviews pretty constantly that they make it appealing to adults by sticking in adult jokes (Madagascar 3, for example, has a ton of innuendo and sex jokes, one character even says "that's bull shivic") with Pixar openly stating that they do that to appeal to adults. When it comes to Sonic....ehhhh nope, there's nothing, really. I can't think of anything that appeals to adults other than the nostalgia feeling.

Problem is, Japan isn't big on doing that.

I think you're severely underestimating the intelligence of our youth if that's the attitude you're going to have.

Tell that to Japan and the American censors.

Edited by Mogtaki

Actually they say in their interviews pretty constantly that they make it appealing to adults by sticking in adult jokes (Madagascar 3, for example, has a ton of innuendo and sex jokes, one character even says "that's bull shivic") with Pixar openly stating that they do that to appeal to adults. When it comes to Sonic....ehhhh nope, there's nothing, really. I can't think of anything that appeals to adults other than the nostalgia feeling.

I think CSS isn't referring primarily to jokes and is talking about the writing as as whole, which is more than just humor.

If they think that children are too brain dead to appreciate a story that isn't a non-stop barrage of humor, then I think they shouldn't be writing stories at all. Regardless, the series has never put such a focus on trying to be funny, so why try to force it when it's a hindrance factor as far as storytelling goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it extremely naïve to say "oh it's for children so it's all good". Juvenile doesn't equal dumb or watered down in any way and, when you consider you are catering to a demographic you can't really be precise about - which children are you trying to appeal to? All of Sonic Colours' story, let alone the jokes, fly way over the head of anyone who doesn't speak English or Japanese or whatever dub you have there -, I don't think that's a strategy they should be going for.

Besides, this justifies nothing.

Disney and Pixar are actually really smart in saying they want to appeal to adults, because the kids are a given. Innuendos are not perceived by the kids, but the general setting of the story is. A kiss scene will make a kid blush, but a sex joke will not. So if SEGA is trying to appeal only to kids, it's even worse, because age demographics don't need to be mutually exclusive, let alone for a mascot with potential for a universal appeal like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 8

That still doesn't undermine the fact that their target audience is children. Never mind the fact that those jokes don't represent the story as a whole.

Considering that Sonic Team went out of their way to hire western writers to make the story, that's even less of an excuse. And don't get me started in how they tried to be more grown-up during ShTH and Sonic 06, only to show that they have no idea what they were doing.

And never mind the fact that a lot of what Japan considers to be okay for children is seen as something that would be marketed for the Teenager audience here in America: Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, heck Deadman Wonderland is Shonen bordering on Seinen which REALLY says a lot.

American censors see little problem with animations done from Disney like the Lion King or Pixar animations, I don't see how in three blue hells having something of their quality is not okay for Sonic.

And if adults think that children are too brain dead to appreciate these stories then they have no business making them to begin with.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Or consider (as an example) how the Japanese version of Sonic X was absolutely loaded with shitty 4th wall jokes and creepy sex jokes; which for all the shit they get for their dub 4Kids very wisely excised.

Which, if I ever bother to express it, would be related to my unpopular opinion.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 4

Or consider (as an example) how the Japanese version of Sonic X was absolutely loaded with shitty 4th wall jokes and creepy sex jokes; which for all the shit they get for their dub 4Kids very wisely excised.

Meh, in my opinion, they did right in cutting the 4th wall jokes but they should totally have kept the sex jokes. Eggman telling Rouge she has huge tits is just to fucking priceless to dispose of. :D

Meh, in my opinion, they did right in cutting the 4th wall jokes but they should totally have kept the sex jokes. Eggman telling Rouge she has huge tits is just to fucking priceless to dispose of. biggrin.png

Frankly, I could've gone on with the rest of my life without hearing Eggman comment on the anatomical features of cartoon animals...

• Thumbs Up 3

After playing Shadow recently I have come to the conclusion that while Shadow has a few okay levels, Circus Park is by far the best. It's essentially a darker version of a typical Sonic level rather than trying to be grimdark everywhere. Better still, it has Eggman who is constantly in glee about all his awesome shit that he's made. And it has actual level gimmicks too! The carnival night barrel homages, the flame hoops, the shooting galleries (a unique way to incorporate a loathed mechanic), those blue bouncy things, the giant gongs that give you 50 rings, and crazy rollercoasters, which, while automated, are pretty fun to go around. It's pretty colourful and fancy, and I like that.

"So, fast enough for you?"

The unpopular part may be that I think it's actually a good level in a game that most people think has no good levels.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 5

After playing Shadow recently I have come to the conclusion that while Shadow has a few okay levels, Circus Park is by far the best. It's essentially a darker version of a typical Sonic level rather than trying to be grimdark everywhere. Better still, it has Eggman who is constantly in glee about all his awesome shit that he's made. And it has actual level gimmicks too! The carnival night barrel homages, the flame hoops, the shooting galleries (a unique way to incorporate a loathed mechanic), those blue bouncy things, the giant gongs that give you 50 rings, and crazy rollercoasters, which, while automated, are pretty fun to go around. It's pretty colourful and fancy, and I like that.
That level was the very first thing I thought of when Colors was announced.

Oh Digital Circuit was pretty cool as well. Mad Matrix, not so much, especially the Dark mission with the 35 bombs on the grid... URRRGH.

I'm also partial to Lethal Highway (I tend to like the highway levels most in Sonic games) and GUN Fortress (mainly for the atmosphere).

Sonic Heroes had the greatest dialogue in the entire series.
"THIS MUST BEE EGGMANS HEADKUARTARS

THE EEEERBAASSSEEE!!

HOW DOE THIES THIENG STEY AFLOAT

DOESN"T MATTER LETS TEEK IET DOWNNNN!!"

"So, fast enough for you?"

The unpopular part may be that I think it's actually a good level in a game that most people think has no good levels.

Shadow the Hedgehog may be a shitty game, but it has potential in a few places; if the game was laid out with levels like Circus Park and Cryptic Castle, it would have actually felt like a "darker Sonic game" like it was intended, rather than a Sonic game trying hard to be dark.