Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

That would be a sound argument if the day stages we're enjoyable.

They were pretty enjoyable, in my humble opinion.

• Thumbs Up 5

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no idea where to find more 20 sun medlas to unlock adabat day...

for six months actually...

I just walk around places in the stages.

Most werehog levels are a gold mine for medals.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I respect Blaire's post about the game, that brings up yet another one from me; as with the rest of the game's features, I don't like Black Knight's story all that much.

I know Sonic's character was done well here, and I did like Merlina as a villain, but overall I could never get into it. The world within it feels a little soulless, Caliburn annoyed me somewhat, and something about the whole thing bugged me. I don't even know what it was or why, it just... did. So while I can understand why it's story is a top one for many others, it just doesn't catch my interest. But it's probably less of the game's own fault as it is my own personal tastes.

This is hilarious because I have not heard a single person ever give him any sort of praise around here.

I mean, for the role of generic villain with a scary voice, I think he does the role rather well.

I know very well that he may not be the most popular of chaps here, but everywhere else I go, it's usually "He should be more like SatAM Robotnik!" this and "SatAM Robotnik was AWESOME, Eggman's just a joke!" that, acting as if villains like the Joker and Porky never existed. As such, this place is a sort of reminder for me in that there are in fact folk who don't think he's all that.

As for pulling off being a generic villain with a scary voice, not only do I believe he doesn't even do that well (the voice is wonderful though), that's yet another thing that annoys me; that if it was some other random series, and if he was his own villain rather than an expy of another one, he probably would have been rightfully shunned as another one of many one-dimensional villains. And yet because he's based off of a supposedly "less cooler buffoon", he's hailed as something he's not.

I can at least see why someone would say that. There is a lot of game packed into that little cartridge, and what is there is generally pretty good.

It is kind of hard to compare them, though.

As much as I respect Blaire's post about the game, that brings up yet another one from me; as with the rest of the game's features, I don't like Black Knight's story all that much.

I know Sonic's character was done well here, and I did like Merlina as a villain, but overall I could never get into it. The world within it feels a little soulless, Caliburn annoyed me somewhat, and something about the whole thing bugged me. I don't even know what it was or why, it just... did. So while I can understand why it's story is a top one for many others, it just doesn't catch my interest. But it's probably less of the game's own fault as it is my own personal tastes.

It's because there's no Eggman, at all.

Unpopular Opinions - SatAM is not some kind of crowning achievement for the Sonic series, it's an example of how good DiC can be when it comes to writing shows. I say this because it was an In Name Only Adaptation and is too far divorced from the rest of the franchise to be considered an achievement for the Sonic series. It really isn't IMO. It's an achievement for DiC.

I thought that the flamboyancy of AoStH doesn't make up for the badness of it's animation and I find it's characters except for Robotnik, it's music, it's animation and it's garishness abrasive and irritating.

I thought Merlina was an incredibly unique Sonic villain and a great one at that. I suppose I should use the term 'villain' fairly loosely in regards to her though. She's not an irredeemable monster, she's a well-intentioned extremist and she's fascinating because her views on saving her world were an interesting subject of contention. That and she was seemingly accepting of Sonic's views after her beatdown.

Erazor is one of the most competent villains in the series and is quite the contrast from Merlina. Not even Darkspine Sonic could truly put this guy in his place through brute force. It took his own lamp being used against him to defeat him and his plan was simple yet effective, a believable plot point being the only thing that took him down. Mephiles can't attest to that can he?

I thought that the flamboyancy of AoStH doesn't make up for the badness of it's animation and I find it's characters except for Robotnik, it's music, it's animation and it's garishness abrasive and irritating.

But come on, you have to admit, Robotnik's theme and the opening theme are pretty good.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

It's because there's no Eggman, at all.

I fucking knew someone was going to say that. I was even considering mentioning that, but I gave the benefit of the doubt and hoped that no one would pull that card.

No, I have many problems with Black Knight, but Robotnik's absence was not one of them. In fact, I was glad he wasn't in it, since that creates a sense of mystery on where he is and what he's doing while you're fighting Merlina. I preferred that a lot more than his appearance in Secret Rings. And on top of that, I even said that I liked Merlina.

So no, I was fine with that. I know I can squee over Robotnik a lot, but I try to be a civil one, and it disheartens me that you immediately thought that was my problem with the game, let alone my only problem.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

In fact, I was glad he wasn't in it, since that creates a sense of mystery on where he is and what he's doing while you're fighting Merlina.

Unlike in Sonic Rush Adventure, which ruined what would have been a pretty good plot twist by having it's "main villain" look almost EXACTLY like him. Seriously, when you played Rush Adventure and saw Captain Ripoff Whisker, how could you NOT think "gee, I wonder if Eggman and/or his insipid recolour has/have anything to do with this guy"?

Another unpopular (at least at this forum) opinion:

I think Eggman has been horribly flanderized since around the time of Sonic Unleashed. Before this time, the games could contain entire cutscenes with the character where he didn't act over-the-top and instead was actually serious. Think about how serious he was when he was talking to Tails about his grandfather at the end of SA2, or how serious he was (although in a completely different way) at the cutscene right before Tails final boss in SA1. The instance in SA2 was a sort of humble seriousness where it was as if he didnt act like a hammy clown for once because he was actually opening up and revealing his innermost feelings, while the scene in SA1 was an instance of Eggman being serious because he was so fucking pissed, frustrated and filled with hatred that he didnt feel like delivering any more of his ususall hammy, theatrical over-the-top-antics, and instead just kill the little fucker that foiled his plans. Having Eggman act hammy and over-the-top all the time like the new games do only serves to make Eggman a flatter character.

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because I was too busy enjoying Whisker to care about anything related to Nega.

Having the Eggmen pop up out of nowhere to be the final boss wouldn't be a good plot twist regardless of what Whisker looked like anyway.

Well, there's another one; I liked Whisker's obvious appearance, since he basically equates to Pirate Robotnik, which is always nice. And since it's Blaze's world and Nega had already been established as another backstabber, I was worried that it would be just Nega at the end, so it actually was kind of surprising for me to see the real original Robotnik with him.

And going into crap fanfiction territory, because that was still the highlight time of constant backstabbing and false alarms, I like to think Whisker was intentionally made that way as a sort of double bluff, so that Sonic and Co. would be like "Nah, it can't be Eggman. He's been screwed over so much recently, and it's way too obvious. Someone must be framing him... or something."

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I fucking knew someone was going to say that. I was even considering mentioning that, but I gave the benefit of the doubt and hoped that no one would pull that card.

No, I have many problems with Black Knight, but Robotnik's absence was not one of them. In fact, I was glad he wasn't in it, since that creates a sense of mystery on where he is and what he's doing while you're fighting Merlina. I preferred that a lot more than his appearance in Secret Rings. And on top of that, I even said that I liked Merlina.

So no, I was fine with that. I know I can squee over Robotnik a lot, but I try to be a civil one, and it disheartens me that you immediately thought that was my problem with the game, let alone my only problem.

I was just grasping at straws actually, and trying to figure it out. I wasn't trying to offend you, I'm sorry if it came off that way/

Anther unpopular (at least at this forum) opinion:

I think Eggman has been horribly flanderized since around the time of Sonic Unleashed. Before this time, the games could contain entire cutscenes with the character where he didn't act over-the-top and instead was actually serious. Think about how serious he was when he was talking to Tails about his grandfather at the end of SA2, or how serious he was (although in a completely different way) at the cutscene right before Tails final boss in SA1. The instance in SA2 was a sort of humble seriousness where it was as if he didnt act like a hammy clown for once because he was actually opening up and revealing his innermost feelings, while the scene in SA1 was an instance of Eggman being serious because he was so fucking pissed, frustrated and filled with hatred that he didnt feel like delivering any more of his ususall hammy, theatrical over-the-top-antics, and instead just kill the little fucker that foiled his plans. Having Eggman act hammy and over-the-top all the time like the new games do only serves to make Eggman a flatter character.

And yet, he's still the most enjoyable part of the newer games, so Tropes aren't Bad in this case as it serves to make Eggman an amazingly entertaining character to watch.

Well, maybe it's because I think pirates 500 years too late in video games are a boring cliché (like The Phantom from the ninth Pokémon movie) and that Blaze needs a nemesis that DOESN'T look like Eggman. The one exception is Pirate Man from the Mega Man games, but that may be because he doesn't use the accent and that there are wierder designs (Spring Man, anyone?).

Pirate robots are awesome, get out.

Pirate robots ARE indeed awesome: I just don't like ones that look like the designer decided to ripoff base it on an already existing character whose presence in the game is meant to be a secret until the final boss.

Here's a popular opinion I want to talk about. You can gather what my stance is on it in the first four words.

I just cannot agree that Silver in the Archie comics is better than Silver in the games. If the traitor thing had only been used as a major device for him sparingly since #195, then I might be more inclined to agree (I'd actually say that Silver in #195 is my idea of Silver as a whole). However, it hasn't, it's been done to death through being brought to the forefront far too often. It was stupid in the M:XYL arc because he got knocked out for most of it, it was okay in #215-216, I wasn't impressed by the Shattered Mirror arc because I felt more of the focus was on Jani-Ca's character than his own, I couldn't feel any sympathy for Sonic when he assaulted Silver because all I could think was "Not this shit again!" and the SFF team dragged on a bit too much for my liking, although he was at least more tolearble there. Even Silver in the games managed to move on quicker than this. As is, Archie Silver has had six different occasions all about this goal, and he really didn't get any advancement on it until the last one.

Even though I kind of pointed out that I thought that announcing that the traitor plot thread would be over in a specific issue was kind of weird and silly, I'm also partly glad because that means that Silver can finally get something else to do after that issue for certain.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 4

Pirate robots ARE indeed awesome: I just don't like ones that look like the designer decided to ripoff base it on an already existing character whose presence in the game is meant to be a secret until the final boss.

Pretty sure that was the point, it's an Untiwst because of how obvious it was.

Here's a popular opinion I want to talk about. You can gather what my stance is on it in the first four words.

I just cannot agree that Silver in the Archie comics is better than Silver in the games. If the traitor thing had only been used as a major device for him sparingly since #195, then I might be more inclined to agree (I'd actually say that Silver in #195 is my idea of Silver as a whole). However, it hasn't, it's been done to death through being brought to the forefront far too often. It was stupid in the M:XYL arc because he got knocked out for most of it, it was okay in #215-216, I wasn't impressed by the Shattered Mirror arc because I felt more of the focus was on Jani-Ca's character than his own, I couldn't feel any sympathy for Sonic when he assaulted Silver because all I could think was "Not this shit again!" and the SFF team dragged on a bit too much for my liking, although he was at least more tolearble there. Even Silver in the games managed to move on quicker than this. As is, Archie Silver has had six different occasions all about this goal, and he really didn't get any advancement on it until the last one.

Even though I kind of pointed out that I thought that announcing that the traitor plot thread would be over in a specific issue was kind of weird and silly, I'm also partly glad because that means that Silver can finally get something else to do after that issue for certain.

I think people like Archie Silver more because he isn't a gullible cretin manipulated by a Shadow recolour. Also, since he's in a comic, he doesn't have an annoying voice.

I was just grasping at straws actually, and trying to figure it out. I wasn't trying to offend you, I'm sorry if it came off that way/

Oh right, fair enough then, my apologies. It's hard to tell when someone's being serious or not now and then, and I was worried that if I did mention that in my original post about Black Knight, I'd get the expected "But you're being very intense about him not being in it, so that means it did bother you" response.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

And yet, he's still the most enjoyable part of the newer games, so Tropes aren't Bad in this case as it serves to make Eggman an amazingly entertaining character to watch.

I see where batson's coming from. Eggman is certainly a more enjoyable character nowadays, and so are Sonic and Tails as well, yet this increase in the fun of their characterization is symptomatic of the problem of the current narratives not really possessing any kind of aesthetic variation or depth. The cast is toony all the time, which means the situations have to be or are more inclined to be toony all the time, which means that things like black holes, corrupted Wisps, mind control, and Time Eaters don't get the serious elaboration they deserve, and overall the stories suffer significantly. Unleashed was much better in this department, allowing Sonic and Chip some room to be two comedic buddies and get into some amusing situations, but when things got down to brass tacks, they could have slower moments where their friendship was reaffirmed or could take a situation seriously in a bid to protect the Earth and one another.

Potentially heretical opinion here, but while a game has to be engaging all the time, not every single moment in a game has to be fun. There can be moments where something is sad, or something is extremely serious, or frightening, or heartwarming, all of which are engaging in their own ways. Whether or not the older games always succeeded in putting across these different kinds of moments, there is absolutely no question that they were at least going for them, which in turn made the stories inherently more interesting to follow. Nowadays, whatever seriousness is there is not only thrown to the backseat but out of the car altogether, and this isn't really a good thing. It would be fucking awesome if Eggman could threaten a town with a missile or hold Amy hostage at gunpoint again alongside his ability to just be mere comic relief, and it'd be even better if this kind of balance could be applied to everything in the stories as a whole from now on.

• Thumbs Up 6