Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

So... I'm in the rare 10%?

100% of the quality is held by 10% of the writers!

Occupy SSMB!

Rah rah rah!

Edited by Tornado

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular opinion - Amy and Big were not characterized well in Chronicles.

I'll start with Big.

Big may be a little slow on the uptake sometimes but he is not and I repeat not stupid. This big loveable oaf is resourceful enough to live out in the wilderness with only a fishing rod and an open hut and he could even operate the Tornado 2 with some level of competence. In Chronicles, he thinks the lights are out when his eyes are closed and takes a few seconds to realize that they are. He goes off on odd tangents (Ice Cream?) when everyone else doesn't pay attention to what he says. He's air-headed to the point that he doesn't feel pain from attacks. This is missing the point of his simpleness entirely and goes into "idiot" territory and that is outright Flanderization.

Now Amy. Oh dear God, I question the legitimacy of people who honestly cite her characterization in this game as character rerailment when it's the exact opposite. You cannot look at her scheme of inventing a non-existent boyfriend in order to hopefully generate jealousy in Sonic and snapping out Rouge for teasing Sonic and not call it as being just as silly as;

- Her delusion in Battle that inspires her to act like a mother towards Emerl in the hopes of showing Sonic that she'd be a good mother to their prospective future hoglet's.

- Her fixation on beating the guy into submission in order to reel him in for marriage in Heroes.

- Her instant suspicion of Sonic when Cream reveals to her that Blaze is looking for him in Rush.

Amy's always been a Sonic-obsessed girl. That's a major part of her character. But Chronicles didn't succeed in developing her character beyond that.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm starting to wonder what that game did to you.

So am I blink.png

Eh, I'm too much of a characterization nut I suppose unsure.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm starting to wonder what that game did to you.

Well, I don't know about her, but that game made my ears bleed...

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm less bothered by how awful it is, more bothered by the fact that nearly all of it was lifted from past games. Not like it hasn't been done in the past on occasion (hello Windy Valley), but at least that was a small minority of the soundtrack and not most of it.

Am I the only person who wasn't bothered by the music in Chronicles? In fact, I can barely even remember the music in Chronicles.

The music wasn't exactly memorable, but it was still terrible music.

I heard that they lost all the music when making the game and had to re-create it from scratch really quick.

And that's why the music sounds bad.

Isn't that a good thing? laugh.png

Not necessarily with me. With me, if I forget music somewhere, it usually means it's neither good nor bad. It's just...there.

I loved a good part of the characterization in Chronicles.

Yeah, since we're talking about this game, I had to mention this. I don't doubt what you guys said about characters having their personalities vastly altered, but I think they became so much more interesting that way.

Take Tails for example. It was good to see him take his role as the level-headed, "leader" member, and considering his personality I don't see why that hasn't happened earlier. Eggman was actually evil/competent while mantaining insanity. Knuckles wasn't portrayed as a dumb idiot like he has been for some time in the mainstream series. There are other examples too, like Omega who (in my vision) had his best portrayal here without much contradiction.

Still, I think the bad elements of Chronicles weight more. How so? Sonic, Shadow and Amy were terrible. Music was bad. Main plot wasn't that good. Music and art direction were bad. Regardless, I think Bioware succeeded in making most characters more likeable, and I think that they could make a different good Sonic game... if only they researched a bit more.

Too many times I've came across a fic that murders characters needlessly, or one that murders characters' actual character needlessly, or yet another generic adaptation or alternate of an existing game, or Sonic and Co. in high school, or a desperate attempt to be RANDUM!!111, or some really crazy fetish like vore or inflation, and all the other cliches that every fanbase has but seems to be fitted with Sonic the most.

Oh dear God, the ones who write and draw those should have their fics and art deleted everywhere, their computer confiscated and have all paper, pens and pencils stay beyond a 5 mile radius from their position.

Okay, here's one.

Amy is not a bad character. Silver is not a bad character. Neither of them are bad characters.

Edited by Aang

You hear that critics? Stop holding signs outside SEGA's offices to convince them to drop the bomb on the so-called useless technicolour parade!

Okay, here's one.

Amy is not a bad character. Silver is not a bad character. Neither of them are bad characters.

badly written on the other hand..

I'm 50/50 on Chronicles' characterising. Some of the characters were right enough to me (Tails, Robotnik, Omega, maybe Knuckles), but... yeah, most of them were done poorly, especially Sonic and Amy, who in that game made me invent a new way to wish to punch a fictional character in the face.

I feel the same about Battle, actually. Some characters, fine (Shadow), other characters, not so much. It's why I don't really hold that game's story as high as others do.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

You hear that critics? Stop holding signs outside SEGA's offices to convince them to drop the bomb on the so-called useless technicolour parade!

Most of them think we are nothing but mindless fanatics clinging onto a nearly dead franchise. You think they would even take us seriously?

Sonic Rush's music is what I would call memorably terrible.

I somewhat agree. Most of the tracks sounds like somebody smashed up their boom box and tinkered with it so the random static sounded like beats and notes. I like tracks like the Blaze fight theme...but thats about it.

So the Scourge topic reminded me of a probably unpopular opinion that I have. I don't care that much for most of Archie's villains.

A lot of people say that they're better than most of the games' villains, and they are probably right about that... but they just don't interest me at all. Aside from Eggman (duh), the only two I give a shit about are Naugus and Mogul. All the echidnas, all the usurpers, Snively and his Starscream ways, all the alternate counterparts of existing characters... nothing.

Of course, this is coming from someone who doesn't care for Finitevus and the Dark Legion but did find interest in their direct expies of Ix and the Nocturnous, so what can I say.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

The idea that the Adventure Games are still overrated is something I have laughed at for years now. These 2 games get more hate and criticism that love, and the only love they get is bound in(and even admitted by these people to be) nothing more than nostalgia, which isn't a helpful qualifier in being a good game at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Obviously I can't speak for all Adventure fans - especially since I happen to be one of the very chaps who thinks they're overrated even if I still like the first one a little bit - but I think the reason they're still viewed as "mostly loved" is because of all the Adventure 3 shinanegans. You know, "Okay, get this game out of the way, and then MAKE SONIC ADVENTURE THREEEE!!!!" and "It's good, but it's no Adventure 3" and "How DARE you say *insert main console game* is Adventure 3!" and all the rest.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Obviously I can't speak for all Adventure fans - especially since I happen to be one of the very chaps who thinks they're overrated even if I still like the first one a little bit - but I think the reason they're still viewed as "mostly loved" is because of all the Adventure 3 shinanegans. You know, "Okay, get this game out of the way, and then MAKE SONIC ADVENTURE THREEEE!!!!" and "It's good, but it's no Adventure 3" and "How DARE you say *insert main console game* is Adventure 3!" and all the rest.

From what i can tell though, the cries for SA3 have largely died out among the actuall core fanbase. I think its mostly more casual Sonic players (of a certain age at that, namely those that were children when the Adventure games were brand new and/or when they got ported to GameCube) who still say that, and i suspect that many of them havent actually sat down and played the later games in the series.

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well if that's the case, I admit they could have fooled me, since there's so many of them. You forget who's who sometimes.

Edited by Dr. Crusher