Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Well yeah, but it's still a bit extreme to bring the prospect of face demolition over it.

Honestly, I don't think I would have been angry enough to actually punch them over it; maybe get into a heated argument which devolves into a shouting match, but not much else.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular Opinion: I really don't like the notion that if Sonic isn't the central character in every game, it's somehow considered terrible. Yes, I understand he is the main character, but that doesn't mean the series isn't allowed to shift focus from him to somebody else for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason why most people criticise Shadow and Silver for essentially "stealing" Sonic 06's story is because Sonic was a complete joke in that game, being easily defeated by Silver twice and then killed by Mephiles, therefore making the other two hedgehogs look all the more "cooler".
Also that Sonic's story was little more than a repeating sequence of losing and rescuing Elise from Eggman, which had no real bearing on the greater plot aside from setting Sonic up as a sacrifice.

I think you can make a fair argument that Sonic already isn't always the focal character, and it's not inherently a problem. Take SA; the story is more about Tikal and Chaos, which gives backstory to Knuckles and Angel Island, while Tails and Amy have character development arcs and Gamma has his self-contained life story. Sonic, though, is pretty much just doing the hero thing, chasing Eggman and trying to stop his plans, and saving everyone in the end. And there's nothing wrong with that, because he still gets to be Sonic and his actions still shape the course of the story.

• Thumbs Up 8

I think you can make a fair argument that Sonic already isn't always the focal character, and it's not inherently a problem. Take SA; the story is more about Tikal and Chaos, which gives backstory to Knuckles and Angel Island, while Tails and Amy have character development arcs and Gamma has his self-contained life story. Sonic, though, is pretty much just doing the hero thing, chasing Eggman and trying to stop his plans, and saving everyone in the end. And there's nothing wrong with that, because he still gets to be Sonic and his actions still shape the course of the story.

Yup. If Sonic's actions actually had any impact on the story of 06 that didn't involve getting shoved in at the last minute, it would still be terrible, but at least he wouldn't be useless.

Of course, as it stands right now, he's so powerful and so in control of everything that goes on in the most recent game plots (even Unleashed to some extent), that he as "a character" isn't really all that interesting. Maybe if his actions had more of an actual consequence to them, things would be meatier, but as it stands, he is DANGEROUSLY CLOSE to be labelled a certain type of character.

P.S. You can thank "Sonic Dissects" for helping me notice some more stuff that I otherwise would have just skimmed over for the above.

Edited by Malpercio
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem isn't that a plot isn't about Sonic, it's about not shitting on Sonic as a result. The reason why most people criticise Shadow and Silver for essentially "stealing" Sonic 06's story is because Sonic was a complete joke in that game, being easily defeated by Silver twice and then killed by Mephiles, therefore making the other two hedgehogs look all the more "cooler".

Take Super Paper Mario for example. It was VERY focused on Luigi, even culminating with him being needed to complete the catalyst for the final boss, but Mario doesn't turn completely useless throughout the game.

Isn't that more of a problem with how Sonic is written, then Shadow & Silver's presence? Even if they weren't there, Sonic's actions still ultimately have no impact on the story like Dio said. So I don't see it as "Shadow & Silver stealing the spotlight" and more "The development team treating it's flagship character like shit"

Isn't that more of a problem with how Sonic is written, then Shadow & Silver's presence? Even if they weren't there, Sonic's actions still ultimately have no impact on the story like Dio said. So I don't see it as "Shadow & Silver stealing the spotlight" and more "The development team treating it's flagship character like shit"

It was definitely part of the problem. Only now the character is going in the other direction; being so powerful and so near "perfect" that he basically trivializes the supporting cast into being mannequins. Granted you can blame them not using the characters particularly well in terms of character interaction and characterization, but they definitely made it so that everything Sonic does has little to no consequence, except maybe once or twice near the beginning or ending of a game.

Isn't that more of a problem with how Sonic is written, then Shadow & Silver's presence? Even if they weren't there, Sonic's actions still ultimately have no impact on the story like Dio said.
If they weren't there, they would've had to work Mephiles and Iblis into Sonic's story.

Unpopular Opinion:

From what I have played so far, Shadow the Hedgehog, in spite of everything that is wrong with it, is actually pretty fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Opinion:

Growing up hearing "Dr. Robotnik" actually grossed me out. When I first heard Eggman, I was confused, but afterwards, SO RELIEVED.

Long live the Eggman Empire!

Unpopular opinion:

Sonic's friends aren't dumb/unecerrsarry they actually have the chance to become super interesting.

If it wasn't for the fact that Sonic has now become "Perfect" not having any noticeable flaws, they wouldn't look like they don't belong.

Thanks "We only wanna play as Sonic ;_;" people.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpopular opinion:

Sonic's friends aren't dumb/unecerrsarry they actually have the chance to become super interesting.

If it wasn't for the fact that Sonic has now become "Perfect" not having any noticeable flaws, they wouldn't look like they don't belong.

It's not an unpopular opinion in the good ole SSMB at least :3.

It's not an unpopular opinion in the good ole SSMB at least :3.

I've noticed, which is good smile.png

I meant like the majority of the people outside this forum.

Edited by NISA

And there's another one from me; while having other playable characters would be nice and add replay value, I'm really not as bothered about it as most. If they're playable, good. If they're not, that's fine too. As long as they have a good characterisation, and/or get to do something useful, then I'm happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

And there's another one from me; while having other playable characters would be nice and add replay value, I'm really not as bothered about it as most. If they're playable, good. If they're not, that's fine too. As long as they have a good characterisation, and/or get to do something useful, then I'm happy.

BUT DEN HOW SHAWLL SAWNIK DESTROY THE FRIEZA EXPY BY BLINKING HIS EYES IF HIS SHEETY FRENZ ARE HAWGGING THE SPAWTLIGHT!? DEY MUST DAI!

Please don't start with that. I'm not one of those Shitty Friends people, in fact I love most of the cast, so please don't make me out to look like one.

Unpopular Opinion:

Growing up hearing "Dr. Robotnik" actually grossed me out. When I first heard Eggman, I was confused, but afterwards, SO RELIEVED.

Long live the Eggman Empire!

He was always called Eggman in Japan, but they managed to do the Robotnik to Eggman switch pretty quick in Sonic Adventure when Sonic tried to make him feel insulted by calling him an Eggman. I thought it was kinda nice how easy that switch was incorporated while the Japanese still seemed to like the name Ivo Robotnik as his true name.

BUT DEN HOW SHAWLL SAWNIK DESTROY THE FRIEZA EXPY BY BLINKING HIS EYES IF HIS SHEETY FRENZ ARE HAWGGING THE SPAWTLIGHT!? DEY MUST DAI!

I didn't know Governor Schwarzenegger was such an avid Sonic fan.

• Thumbs Up 7

Please don't start with that. I'm not one of those Shitty Friends people, in fact I love most of the cast, so please don't make me out to look like one.

Edited by Malpercio

Unpopular opinion:

Unpopular Opinion; SatAM Robotnik is grossly overrated.

Such a 1-bit villain sleep.png The character is so unrecognizable as a Robotnik derivative that he ought to be called "Robotnik in name only". Then again, the sheer divorcement and unreasonable liberties SatAM took with the Sonic franchise is a source of irritance to me to this day despite how much I like it. There is nothing that is exceptional about his brand of villainy and what shoots a hole in him is his lack of motive. Julian does things for the evulz, who usurped the king and persecutes Mobians just because he can. This is a far cry from Dr Eggman, a villain who has motives, has a pretty unique brand of villainy and has an appealing personality and who doesn't revel in comitting villainy just for the sake of it.

Competent? Yeah the guy subjugated much of Mobius and put it under his thumb but his 'game' of toying with Sonic and the FF's instead of doing more prudent courses of action proves that he is incompetent. When he did get off his fat ass and engage Sonic personally, he never lasted more than a few minutes.

It tires me when I hear time and time again that Game Eggman should become more like this parody.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yes, it's good that not everyone thinks Julian is the dog's genitals.

-I think SatAM Robotnik is tish (and Archie Eggman is not tish, tish-negative in fact). Not because of him being too evil (though I'd rather he be more Knight Templar than card carrying) or even because of his lack of eccentric qualities (besides, some of the Season 2 episodes showed that he did - moreso in fact), but rather because of the following:

Just sitting around and shouting at things. Robotnik is usually on the move and only stays in his base when he's overseeing his plan (Unleashed/Colours) or staying behind the scenes (Rush Adventure). It's one of the things that made him stand out as a villain to begin with. Reducing him to a generic Dr. Claw villain dampens that.

Looking ridiculous. Doc Egg was never physically intimidating anyway, but I will never understand how people can find Julian scary looking. His outfit looks like it belongs to the Village People (A yellow cape? I know yellow's always been one of the main Egg colours, but still. Yellow?), and his red eyes are just plain narmy, and gives off the sense of trying too hard. I actually find Game Robotnik's appearance, clownish as it is, genuinely more creepy, with his stick-like limbs and jaw-hurting grin, but especially the glasses obscuring his eyes, and revelation that his eyes are completely normal - blue in fact - reminding us that he really is just a human being... which of course only makes the things he's done all the more horrific in retrospect. Far better to me than "HO HO ROBOTIC RED EYES INDICATE HE'S EVIL, GET IT????"

He doesn't build much of his own creations. While scientist villains are far from new, Robotnik was one of the few who could make his own devices and not always have to rely on the intellect of lesser scientists/minions/whatever. With Julian, you barely see much of that 300 IQ. Usually it's Snively doing most of basically everything.

Conquering the world in a rubbish manner. Everyone always talks about how he successfully conquered the world. He only did so because he stole a certain machine at a convenient moment, which (as mentioned) wasn't even something he built. If he had won by using his supposed intelligence and meticulous planning - or at least by using something created by himself - I might have understood the hype a bit more. Even when Ivo "just steals something", he tends to make plenty of modifications to it.

He's a coward. Anyone who says that Julian is fearless "unlike Eggman" is a fucking liar. He pissed himself as soon as Naugus showed up, and barely tried to oppose him. For all the times he got screwed over, at least Ivo tried.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ya know, as much I as I don't like SATAM Robotnik, how many times do we have to say he sucks before it gets old? I mean, ok I get it, he sucks.

(A yellow cape? I know yellow's always been one of the main Egg colours, but still. Yellow?)
To be fair, Classic Eggman also has a yellow cape. Although it works better for him since we aren't meant to take him as a dead serious evil villain.

To be fair, Classic Eggman also has a yellow cape. Although it works better for him since we aren't meant to take him as a dead serious evil villain.

At least, not at face value. It's cool when they make his plots substantially evil, but "hide" it behind his attitude. Sonic OVA shows this perfectly - even though he is pretty much the comic relief of the movie, he is still the mastermind and his plan is quite obviously evil.

• Thumbs Up 3