Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

The main problem is that, when I go "hey I liked Robotnik's manic grin in Sonic 1", I've had people answer with "it's Eggman and has always been you classictard! FACE THE FACTS!" and then I was like "look, that's how I knew him when I played the game and there's no way in the world I'll change my own thing just because of some official bullshit".
No community I've ever interacted with has been that extreme. I won't deny there are some bad apples and certainly some people act like that, but to say it is a "popular opinion" to do so is a bit preposterous.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No community I've ever interacted with has been that extreme. I won't deny there are some bad apples and certainly some people act like that, but to say it is a "popular opinion" to do so is a bit preposterous.

Funny that you should say that, because it was at a Brazilian forum a couple years ago. Have you ever been to FPS?

Funny that you should say that, because it was at a Brazilian forum a couple years ago. Have you ever been to FPS?
Yes. My point still stands. While some people DO think that, it's still not a popular opinion.

I think you're thinking that because these folk tend to be more vocal, and thus appear more. But I can almost guarantee most of the fanbase thinks differently. Even if we can't unify the Sonic fanbase as one.

For example, when Sonic's voice turned into an incredibly dead-sounding creepy monotone when he turned into that dark form in episode 67 of Sonic X, I knew how intensely angry and distraught he was at the sight of his friends in mortal danger, one of them unconscious and possibly dead for all he knew. The voice acting was incredibly effective because not only was it believable and well-acted but because it portrayed a contrary side to Sonic and was indicative of just how varied Junichi can be with his Sonic voice. The sheer level of dark anger and hatred in Sonic's exclamations as he takes it out on one of them is scary in how it shows how unrestrained his anger is.
Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have an unpopular opinion: I do not like the SA/SA2 era art style (This, for example: http://i.imgur.com/ozJaf.jpg). I just find that the limbs are too spaghetti-like and Sonic's smile looks weird. The positions/poses that Sonic is in are weird as well.

Here are some other random opinions I have, popular or otherwise:

- I like Generations

- I like the Classic and Modern Sonic designs equally

- I like AoStH (I even bought the boxed sets)

- I like the name "Robotnik" better than "Eggman" ("Eggman" sounds silly compared to "Robotnik")

- I think PC gaming is better than console gaming

- I think that Sonic-Tails bromance is awesome

Oh, and shipping sucks. Especially sontails... that's creepy as fuck.

That's all I can think of right now.

Edited by Frogging101

- I like the name "Robotnik" better than "Eggman" ("Eggman" sounds silly compared to "Robotnik")
Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 9

I'm not sure if this counts as being a popular opinion or an unpopular one anymore but, to be honest, I prefer playing Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors over the classic Sonic titles. That's not to say the classics are bad (they're awesome, in my humble opinion), but I just find myself having more fun with Unleashed and Colors.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not sure if this counts as being a popular opinion or an unpopular one anymore but, to be honest, I prefer playing Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors over the classic Sonic titles. That's not to say the classics are bad (they're awesome, in my humble opinion), but I just find myself having more fun with Unleashed and Colors.

Edited by Palas
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not at all. In fact, while S3&K is my top favourite, Colours (tied with Rush Adventure) is my third favourite of all.

The main problem is that, when I go "hey I liked Robotnik's manic grin in Sonic 1", I've had people answer with "it's Eggman and has always been you classictard! FACE THE FACTS!" and then I was like "look, that's how I knew him when I played the game and there's no way in the world I'll change my own thing just because of some official bullshit".
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally I'm not really bothered by what anyone prefers to call him or is used to calling him or whatever. Though I'm still kind of surprised there are still people holding out, considering he's been Eggman for longer than he had been Robotnik, now.
Edited by Tornado

Though I'm still kind of surprised there are still people holding out

Nostalgia lasts a hell of a long time, so I'm not.

• Thumbs Up 1

My opinion: Both names are interchangeable and you don't need to "prefer Robotnik" or "prefer Eggman".

That's fair enough.

EDIT: It would appear Baal, YWVH, Allah, Brahma, Zeus, Athena, Aramazd, Anahit, Spenta Mainyu, Angra Mainyu, Amaterasu, Inazagi, Izanami and Tupã have all failed me.

Edited by Palas

My opinion: Both names are interchangeable and you don't need to "prefer Robotnik" or "prefer Eggman".

Yeah, I don't really care one way or another. I'll call him Eggman since that's what he's called now; it doesn't really matter to me. But I still like "Robotnik" better.

Edited by Frogging101

I call him whatever I damn well call him, sometimes it's Eggman, sometimes it's Robotnik... sometimes it's Egghead, Ivo the Terrible, Eggz, RobEggotnikman, that fat legend from those shitty games... the list goes on and on :D

I tend to interchange the names depending on which version of the character I'm talking about; If I'm talking about him in relation to the games, I'll call him 'Eggman'. If in relation to the cartoons, Robotnik.

Grew up with Robotnik, switched to Eggman with Sonic Adventure; wasn't that big a deal for me. However, I try to remember to call Eggman whatever he is in relation to the universe I'm referring to, both because those are his proper names and also because I don't feel like dealing with the fan issue in the first place.

This complaint of mine originates from something that happened years ago. Sort of happened here and there again, but yes, Homem, I think it's only a small bunch. And yes, Dio, I know people can get touchy and I've seen the "ruined forever" crew in action. But it's just my thing, you know? I mean, I didn't switch to Eggman with Sonic Adventure. I didn't even know of any Sonic game other than Sonic 1 for Master System until, I don't know, 2004 or something. So it's... only natural to me. At first, I was more surprised by people's reaction to my statement than the name change itself.

Edited by Palas

This complaint of mine originates from something that happened years ago. Sort of happened here and there again, but yes, Homem, I think it's only a small bunch. And yes, Dio, I know people can get touchy and I've seen the "ruined forever" crew in action. But it's just my thing, you know? I mean, I didn't switch to Eggman with Sonic Adventure. I didn't even know of any Sonic game other than Sonic 1 for Master System until, I don't know, 2004 or something. So it's... only natural to me. At first, I was more surprised by people's reaction than the name change itself.

People tend to be stupid about minor detail, ya know like green eyes.

Contrary to most responces I've seen in this forum and Sega Forums (as a result, I'm listing this as an unpopular opinion), I think Episode II of Sonic 4 is worse than Episode I when you look at it as a sequel and as a classic styled game. In terms of being a sequel, whatever isn't more of the same in Episode I seems to be badly executed ideas borrowed from the classics. In terms of being a classic-styled game, it deviates even further than even Episode I did in terms of visual aesthetics, level design, and gameplay. At least that's how I see it anyway.

Edited by -Bane-

You are just forgetting one little thing.

unlike Shade, Nack was made by Sonic Team, there are fery few chances that Shade a character by Bioware could be used again in a game written by Sonic Team.

Except, you are forgetting that Sonic Team owns Shade even despite her being created by Bioware. They own Chronicles for that matter. They commissioned them to make an RPG game, and they delievered on that front, but one thing when it comes to IPs is that just because you created something for someone else's franchise doesn't mean you get to keep it.

Except, you are forgetting that Sonic Team owns Shade even despite her being created by Bioware. They own Chronicles for that matter. They commissioned them to make an RPG game, and they delievered on that front, but one thing when it comes to IPs is that just because you created something for someone else's franchise doesn't mean you get to keep it.

I don't know, the complete lack of references about Shade the Echidina by Sonic Team or SEGA makes really believe she is owned by Bioware.

Can you, perhaps, think of other reasons they might not be mentioning her?

Like Chronicles being a crappy game that is better off buried, and them having no plans to use her?

I don't know, the complete lack of references about Shade the Echidina by Sonic Team or SEGA makes really believe she is owned by Bioware.

She was made for a franchise owned by Sega. They own all the rights and property to their franchise: Shade became a part of that property and is therefore owned by Sega.

The fact that they haven't used her doesn't change that. That's like saying that the Archie comic characters belong to Archie, when they too are also owned by Sega. Companies don't just allow you to create something of theirs and allow you to keep it that easily. And considering how Shade is designed with all the common features of a Sonic character down to the basic shapes, Bioware would be hardpressed to have ownership to that character.

Can you, perhaps, think of other reasons they might not be mentioning her?

Like Chronicles being a crappy game that is better off buried, and them having no plans to use her?

How about the fact that Chronicles is non-canon? In fact, didn't I even mention that earlier?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic