Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I don't know, the complete lack of references about Shade the Echidina by Sonic Team or SEGA makes really believe she is owned by Bioware.

Archie doesn't own any of the comic characters, but Sega still hasn't used them in any of the canon games.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular Opinion: I really don't feel Generations is the godly game it's reputation has given it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, and it's by far the most polished one to date, but it doesn't really doesn't have anything going for it as far as innovation goes, it's basically Unleashed with a new coat of paint, and better controls and that doesn't really constitute an amazing game in my opinion, more like a game riding on the coattails of another. It doesn't really help that half the game consists of an admittedly poor(but still fun mind you) representation of classic gameplay. The lack of substantial references to previous entries outside of a few stages, and the lackluster story. As an overall game, it's good nothing exceptional, but nothing terrible either. As a Sonic Anniversary title, it's really lacking.

Unpopular Opinion: I really don't feel Generations is the godly game it's reputation has given it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, and it's by far the most polished one to date, but it doesn't really doesn't have anything going for it as far as innovation goes, it's basically Unleashed with a new coat of paint, and better controls and that doesn't really constitute an amazing game in my opinion, more like a game riding on the coattails of another. It doesn't really help that half the game consists of an admittedly poor(but still fun mind you) representation of classic gameplay. The lack of substantial references to previous entries outside of a few stages, and the lackluster story. As an overall game, it's good nothing exceptional, but nothing terrible either. As a Sonic Anniversary title, it's really lacking.

Well, I don't disagree.

My own very unpopular opinion is that Classic Sonic was utterly pointless in Generations and that they should have nixed him in favor of more levels, and perhaps more interesting and varied level choices. At the end of the day, as a supporting character, Classic Sonic was DEAD LAST for me.

COME AT ME YOU CLASSIC TOTING SONS OF BITCHES! I HAVE MY FLAME SHIELD!

Edited by Malpercio

My own very unpopular opinion is that Classic Sonic was utterly pointless in Generations and that they should have nixed him in favor of more levels, and perhaps more interesting and varied level choices. At the end of the day, as a supporting character, Classic Sonic was DEAD LAST for me.
Maybe if they hadn't gone with the pointless, stupid, and nonsensical decision of having Classic Sonic be mute, he could have been as "main" as Modern Sonic.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I don't disagree.

COME AT ME YOU CLASSIC TOTING SONS OF BITCHES! I HAVE MY FLAME SHIELD!

Well, classic Sonic got complete 2D gameplay while modern got 2D and 3D mixed, and since (imo) the 2D gameplay in Generations was better than the 3D gameplay (just as in the case with Colors) i actually think the game as a whole would have been more fun if it had been all classic Sonic. But granted, they could also just have nixed classic Sonic and instead focused solely on modern Sonic but given him complete 2D gameplay... or alternatively, you know, create better 3D gameplay.

That would have completely defeated the purpose of the game.

The whole point of the game is celebrating 20 years of the franchise, and going through it. You really don't need Classic Sonic to do that.

Maybe if they hadn't gone with the pointless, stupid, and nonsensical decision of having Classic Sonic be mute, he could have been as "main" as Modern Sonic.

It's not even just the whole "he's a mute" thing that gets to me, it's a HELL LOT MORE THAN THAT.

First off, Classic Sonic barely interacts with any of the characters in a meaningful way. They don't act surprised around him, they don't really talk to him outside of those one liner cutscenes that are basically interchangeable with Modern Sonic. Second, for a character who is supposed to be SO IMPORTANT, his relevance to the plot is primarily in the 1st third of the game; after the Death Egg Robot, you might as well have just stopped him right there because NOTHING WITH HIM HAPPENS. Well okay, there is that whole "seeing Modern Sonic boosting thing," but that is literally it. Modern Sonic practically drives the plot, and Classic Sonic got caught on for the ride, and he BARELY DOES ANYTHING when we aren't controlling his character.

But the truth is, I don't actually dislike Classic Sonic, and I would have just generally ignored him. No big deal...

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THERE ARE THE BRATS WHO CONSTANTLY ELEVATE HIM TO THE POSITION OF MESSIAH, AND TREAT MODERN SONIC LIKE HE IS THE DEVIL.

Seriously, that crap just pisses me off. For roughly 5 or so years, Modern Sonic has practically done everything he can to get back into the good graces of the public, and they actually praised his Daytime gameplay. Yet the moment this little bugger so much as shows his face, all of a sudden, Modern Sonic is a piece of shit who is ruining the franchise AGAIN. Now I get some people don't like the Modern Gameplay, and that is fine, but when you claim that Daytime Sonic is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and then turn around and claim he is shit the moment your precious CLASSIC SONIC shows up with a case of bedhead, then I SERIOUSLY JUST WANT TO PUNCH YOUR FACE INWARDS!

I was actually going to put this into my review of Generations, but since this topic was brought up right now, I might as well get it out before it builds up in me like a fizzy drink.

Edited by Malpercio
  • Thumbs Up 6

Relax, man. "Punching faces makes you no better than them" and whatnot.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 3

The whole point of the game is celebrating 20 years of the franchise, and going through it. You really don't need Classic Sonic to do that.

Half of the franchise had one design ethos and half of the franchise had another, and the game was designed around that fact from the start. It's not a situation of "no Classic Sonic means they could have spent time on something else," because no Classic Sonic would have made it a completely different game.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I too thought Classic was meh overall. Even the Classic era of levels I felt was the weakest (largely because of Green Hill, I actually prefer Planet Wisp over it). I thought Modern Sonic and his levels were the real appeal of Generations. I found Classic's levels fun and all but I dunno... and there's my popular or unpopular whichever one it is opinion.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Half of the franchise had one design ethos and half of the franchise had another, and the game was designed around that fact from the start. It's not a situation of "no Classic Sonic means they could have spent time on something else," because no Classic Sonic would have made it a completely different game.

If you take Classic Sonic out, the only thing you're losing are the classic levels, the theme wouldn't exactly have changed if Classic wasn't there because the theme is revisiting history, something he isn't essential for.

Relax, man. "Punching faces makes you no better than them" and whatnot.

Yeah, but surely you see how damn frustrating it is. To have worked for 5 years to restore your own reputation, and it all gets taken down by some mini version of you who vaguely imitates a style of gameplay that everyone claims is superior in every way, and then you get treated like the devil just because you exist.

... and there's my popular or unpopular whichever one it is opinion.

You know, this sentence made me think of something... isnt this thread in practice just a "say whatever you want about anything that has anything to do with Sonic"-thread? Im not saying that this was the intention of the OP, but like i said, i think that is what it has become in actuallity.

Not that im complaining though, it's sorta fun to have a thread where people can bring up stuff that doesnt fit into any of the other threads and that they dont feel like creating a whole new thread about...

If you take Classic Sonic out, the only thing you're losing are the classic levels, the theme wouldn't exactly have changed if Classic wasn't there because the theme is revisiting history, something he isn't essential for.

When you remove a fundamental part of a game, you can't turn around and say "not spending time on that would have allowed them to do all this other stuff," because at that point the hypothetical is so far removed from what we got that you might as well be saying "What if the game was completely different? Might have been good then."

Yeah, but surely you see how damn frustrating it is.

Not really, no. Before Generations came out there had been all of one game that had largely positive critical reception after STH '06. Flipping out because Classic Sonic stole the spotlight in his first appearance in 15 years and was combined with normal douchebag game journalist responses seems like a pretty severe overreaction to me.

Edited by Tornado

It's not even just the whole "he's a mute" thing that gets to me, it's a HELL LOT MORE THAN THAT.

First off, Classic Sonic barely interacts with any of the characters in a meaningful way. They don't act surprised around him, they don't really talk to him outside of those one liner cutscenes that are basically interchangeable with Modern Sonic. Second, for a character who is supposed to be SO IMPORTANT, his relevance to the plot is primarily in the 1st third of the game; after the Death Egg Robot, you might as well have just stopped him right there because NOTHING WITH HIM HAPPENS. Well okay, there is that whole "seeing Modern Sonic boosting thing," but that is literally it. Modern Sonic practically drives the plot, and Classic Sonic got caught on for the ride, and he BARELY DOES ANYTHING when we aren't controlling his character.

But the truth is, I don't actually dislike Classic Sonic, and I would have just generally ignored him. No big deal...

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THERE ARE THE BRATS WHO CONSTANTLY ELEVATE HIM TO THE POSITION OF MESSIAH, AND TREAT MODERN SONIC LIKE HE IS THE DEVIL.

Seriously, that crap just pisses me off. For roughly 5 or so years, Modern Sonic has practically done everything he can to get back into the good graces of the public, and they actually praised his Daytime gameplay. Yet the moment this little bugger so much as shows his face, all of a sudden, Modern Sonic is a piece of shit who is ruining the franchise AGAIN. Now I get some people don't like the Modern Gameplay, and that is fine, but when you claim that Daytime Sonic is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and then turn around and claim he is shit the moment your precious CLASSIC SONIC shows up with a case of bedhead, then I SERIOUSLY JUST WANT TO PUNCH YOUR FACE INWARDS!

I was actually going to put this into my review of Generations, but since this topic was brought up right now, I might as well get it out before it builds up in me like a fizzy drink.

Holy crap It's like we think exactly the same

Not really, no. Before Generations came out there had been all of one game that had largely positive critical reception after STH '06. Flipping out because Classic Sonic stole the spotlight in his first appearance in 15 years and was combined with normal douchebag game journalist responses seems like a pretty severe overreaction to me.

The problem I have isn't that he stole the spotlight. The problem is that Modern Sonic got crapped on for not being Classic Sonic, despite the years of work that had gone into trying to improve his image.

Edited by Malpercio

When you remove a fundamental part of a game, you can't turn around and say "not spending time on that would have allowed them to do all this other stuff," because at that point the hypothetical is so far removed from what we got that you might as well be saying "What if the game was completely different? Might have been good then."

I never said removing Classic would allow them to work on something else, nor am I implying the game would be better for it, just that if you remove Classic from the game, you aren't losing much and can still make the game almost the same exact way. I'm basically saying that Classic's presence is irrelevant whether he's there or not.

Have you considered the possibility that the people crapping on modern Sonic aren't the people who were praising Unleashed day?

...have you considered the possibility that modern Sonic still deserves to be crapped on?

(for what it's worth I consider Generations Classic to be a blight on the series, so)

The problem I have isn't that he stole the spotlight. The problem is that Modern Sonic got crapped on for not being Classic Sonic, despite the years of work that had gone into trying to improve his image.

Modern gaming journalism is stupid, this isn't exactly something to get worked up over, nor is Sonic the only one who has to deal with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never said removing Classic would allow them to work on something else, nor am I implying the game would be better for it, just that if you remove Classic from the game, you aren't losing much and can still make the game almost the same exact way. I'm basically saying that Classic's presence is irrelevant whether he's there or not.

If "close to half the game" isn't much, then sure. Pretty sure we aren't arguing the same thing though, so whatever.

That work hadn't amounted to much by the time Generations came out, since (again) it had been all of one game (Sonic Colors) that was thought to be any good before Generations came out. You're basically using Classic Sonic as a scapegoat for sentiment against the franchise that has been around since Sonic Heroes came out.

Edited by Tornado

If "close to half the game" isn't much, then sure. Pretty sure we aren't arguing the same thing though, so whatever.

Aren't we talkin about Classic's presence and whether it's important or not?

That work hadn't amounted to much by the time Generations came out, since (again) it had been all of one game (Sonic Colors) that was thought to be any good before Generations came out. You're basically using Classic Sonic as a scapegoat for sentiment against the franchise that has been around since Sonic Heroes came out.

Yeah, maybe. Frankly, when I've seen the side of the game I am generally alright with or really like get crapped on, I tend to be a lot more off my rocker.

Well yeah, but it's still a bit extreme to bring the prospect of face demolition over it.