Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

^ Dandp said that the only other character he could see being playable in the Hedgehog Engine was Shadow. I suggested Metal Sonic...

Yeah, I think I said that in the third paragraph. But it's over now, since you're not interested in arguing.

I can't be the only one who dislikes the idea of playing as Metal Sonic. I wasn't too fussed with the extra gameplay with him but it's more fun to fight against him rather than play as him.

I'd love another chance to play as Eggman though. It'd be nice to have a game where you play with him again instead of simply using him to ride a mech, race or play some mean bean machine. I want to see a day in the life of Eggman. I loved all those little cutscenes in Sonic Colors and the end scene in Generations where it showed JUST Eggman being the centre of attention. He's such an interesting character and his personality is lovely. He's a gentleman, respectful of genders, quirky, eccentric, full of expressions...more than Sonic ever could be.

I don't care if a game with Eggman ended with him siding with Sonic or being defeated by him, I just love Eggman and enjoy his personality. The fact that his second choice in life was to be a teacher is just brilliant, especially when he tends to remind you of a teacher you probably had in school yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Metal sonic could work with the current boos mechanic, I actually think he could be the BEST character to perfect it

If you think about it his boost could be the maximum overdrive attack, therefore fulfilling the boost, let's go fast segments, however the maximum overdrive attack doesn't last forever, so what I'm saying is, he can use his maximum overdrive attack, but like Unwiished, the boost only lasts for a certain amount of time (a bit longer than unwashed I think). After the boost is finished YOU CANNOT USE IT AGAIN untill metal has regained energy or cooled down or something (maybe an optional powerup like on rush that enables you to use it straight away). Therefore making the boost a strategic element aswell, finding the best place to use it ect. Maybe a the end of the game you could have an upgrade to metal where he can boost forever as long as he has power (rings), that you could turn on and off depending in how you want to play? Just an idea anyway

And in regards to Eggman, sonic schoolhouse 2 anyone? (everytime i write eggman on my iPod it comes up as eggnan!)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking: If SEGA's so scared of fan/reviewer backlash for more playable characters, why don't they just make a few DLC acts (not like mission acts, full-length acts) for some levels of the next Sonic game for Tails and Knux (with their own movesets of course) to test the waters? If people don't hate it, then they can include it (multiple playable characters such as Tails and Knux) in the Sonic game afterwards safely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because unless the other character's gameplay is good (or even despite that) the responses will sound typical as they praise Knuckles and Tails while bashing the others. Call me pessimistic, but when reviewers complaining about characters doing fuck all but stand around (tho the "Homing Shot" lines were legitimately annoying) I'm skeptical of anything they would say about them.

ChaosSupreme there has a point, unless they were superb gameplay for the characters outside the big 3 would be smashed pretty badly. Though honestly, I know they could make variants of the main moveset work pretty well. For example in Knuckle's Chaotix, they mixed it up a bit for vector, and customised some of his role setup, yet most of the charactreistcs(including being the first character with an in-air directional boost) worked pretty well for him, including the climbing. Its not impossible to make good character gameplaysets, however you need to put the effort into it

Hey, so thats were the first origins of the homing attack came from! or at least that was the first appearance of a gameplay dynamic that would become the homing attack....

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

I've been thinking: If SEGA's so scared of fan/reviewer backlash for more playable characters, why don't they just make a few DLC acts (not like mission acts, full-length acts) for some levels of the next Sonic game for Tails and Knux (with their own movesets of course) to test the waters? If people don't hate it, then they can include it (multiple playable characters such as Tails and Knux) in the Sonic game afterwards safely.

I like this approach, actually. If the investment doesn't pay off, they just don't try it again.

As for an Eggman game. Well. It could be canon up until the very end, when after his final, ultimate victory, he discovers he was actually knocked out during some battle near the end. Cliche yes but we're not aiming for masterpieces are we? :P

• 2 weeks later...

I like this approach, actually. If the investment doesn't pay off, they just don't try it again.

As for an Eggman game. Well. It could be canon up until the very end, when after his final, ultimate victory, he discovers he was actually knocked out during some battle near the end. Cliche yes but we're not aiming for masterpieces are we? tongue.png

Dude. I would love to see an Eggman game.

Or, at least have Eggman playable in a Sonic game again.

lol, that would be hilarious...an Eggman game a la ShTH, only much more emphasized on humor than drama.

Dude. I would love to see an Eggman game.

Or, at least have Eggman playable in a Sonic game again.

lol, that would be hilarious...an Eggman game a la ShTH, only much more emphasized on humor than drama.

Let's be honest. The potential for comedy in an Eggman title would be off the charts since he's such a goofball. The only problem is it wouldn't fit the high speed gameplay model.

But hey, Sega's done non-speed spinoffs before. It should be made pretty clear this is an expansion of the Sonic universe from the antagonist's perspective, not another adrenaline trip. Don't view it as a Sonic game, view it as a different genre with Sonic characters driving the plot.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's be honest. The potential for comedy in an Eggman title would be off the charts since he's such a goofball. The only problem is it wouldn't fit the high speed gameplay model.

But hey, Sega's done non-speed spinoffs before. It should be made pretty clear this is an expansion of the Sonic universe from the antagonist's perspective, not another adrenaline trip. Don't view it as a Sonic game, view it as a different genre with Sonic characters driving the plot.

I think an Eggman RTS would fit the bill

I think an Eggman RTS would fit the bill

Hmm. Based on how hilariously ridiculous Red Alert 3 was, I think this could actually work. Only problem, as seen in my strategy thread, is people would want to play as the actual Mobian characters too. We'd need to keep them out of the gameplay for the most part.

The biggest problem will be attracting interest if it's entirely Eggman. But, I assume it can be done... while there's arguments that you should just scrap the Eggman part and make it a separate game, I disagree. I like the idea of expanding the universe's continuity some, and doing it in a way that won't hurt the main titles.

Hmm. Based on how hilariously ridiculous Red Alert 3 was, I think this could actually work. Only problem, as seen in my strategy thread, is people would want to play as the actual Mobian characters too. We'd need to keep them out of the gameplay for the most part.

The biggest problem will be attracting interest if it's entirely Eggman. But, I assume it can be done... while there's arguments that you should just scrap the Eggman part and make it a separate game, I disagree. I like the idea of expanding the universe's continuity some, and doing it in a way that won't hurt the main titles.

well, if you want to get the mobians out the way, you take the C&C approach and a bit of SWEAW approach. First you have 3 main factions, Eggman Empire, and GUN as the main two, then perhaps the BattleBeak Armada as an infringing third one. each of these has 3 main heroes and commanders(Eggman command walker, metal sonic, Nack?[hirable gun]; Gun supreme commander, Omega(?),  Shadow(?); Supremebattlebeak, The scientest, Speedy; so you end up with (commander),  (special/tacital assualt commander), (infiltration/spec ops)).

now of these, ony the 2 commander types can be used in standard battle, and the supreme commander also has a build bonus. the infilitration/spec-ops have a special infilitration mode, and can not be used in standard assualts, and either have to be bought or have a longer recharge time, and have a special gameplay style, yet does not interefere with the over-all RTS style of the game.

You could  easily have the 3-way split campaign. Now what about sonic you ask? well we could just leave him out, but since there would be complaints, you would have a fourth group for a special gameplay mode, which is of course the heroes, which has Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and proably Amy. they would have a special campaign mode, where you mainly play in the infiltration style gameplay, which you have to acheive certian goals, that are different from standard RTS goals. This storyline would play parrelell to the main 3, and would have to be unlocked, however it will overlap and be seen in certian missions in the main storylines.

When it comes to skirmish and multiplayer however, this team hero would have a special type of gameplay mode, and would be somewhat weaker than there campaign counterparts, and would proably be something similar to a take out/defend the structure type gameplay, however would not be the main mode, and one of several more standard RTS modes.

So you see there, its possible to set up 3 factions, and even include the heroes relevant to the main factions, and even include sonic in the side mode, without making him over powering, or even a hinderence to the main gameplay(heck if you were doing online, the main factions would proably work together and suceed at taking out the seperate heroes due to their size alone).

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, haven't you seen Sonic 2? If Eggman can run faster than Super Sonic in that game(Similar occurance in Sonic and Knuckles as well), he should be able to run fast in his own game as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want Eggman to run really fast in his game, make Sonic chase him all the time.

I thought Eggman ran fast because he realized that he left a cheeseburger or slice of cake in his robot.

Really? Then replace the finish ring with a cheeseburger!

Well, didn't Unleashed give proof that Eggman liked sandwiches? 

There, I made it canon.

I thought you were kidding when you said he left a cheeseburger in his robot.

I have never beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2 or 3.

Well, didn't Unleashed give proof that Eggman liked sandwiches? 

There, I made it canon.

Eggman and a Subway sandwich, all over again.

I thought you were kidding when you said he left a cheeseburger in his robot.

I have never beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2 or 3.

Well at Death Egg Zone in Sonic 2 after beating Silver Sonic, Eggman starts running torwards his giant Mecha. You can't run past Eggman and either he manages to run faster than Sonic/Tails/Knuckles or Both characters are locked at a scripted speed.(Can't remember because I haven't those games in a while)

In Sonic and Knuckles/Sonic 3&K, it's the same situation except you destroyed a different robot.

Well at Death Egg Zone in Sonic 2 after beating Silver Sonic, Eggman starts running torwards his giant Mecha. You can't run past Eggman and either he manages to run faster than Sonic/Tails/Knuckles or Both characters are locked at a scripted speed.(Can't remember because I haven't those games in a while)

In Sonic and Knuckles/Sonic 3&K, it's the same situation except you destroyed a different robot.

From memory I don't think they are locked at said speed in Sonic 2, but there's like an invisible wall so you can't pass Eggman until he jumps into the mech. But Sonic 3&K I'm pretty sure the initial running sequence is locked and scripted at a set speed yet again until he reaches the mech and gets in. I did always think it odd that the "fastest thing alive" couldn't outrun a fat old man >.<

Unless, he had Turbo pants and rocket shoes!

.... or just his jetpack, but thats less interesting