Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

The way I see it, they can just be a part of the story than as a playable character. I doubt any other character will be playable soon, so they can at least do that much.

I think the main problem is they're not all that interesting without their little boards, they don't have much skill in platforming.

I was a bit disappointed when they couldn't do anything else other than Storm hitting hard and Wave being a smarty arse. They're practically aliens for pete's sake, they've got to do something interesting other than make boards that can fly real fast.

I think other characters are needed in order to keep interest and sales.

I'd think better story/dialogue writing is a better way to gain more interest at the moment. Sales... Sonic games sell quite a significant amount no matter what. *points to 06* *points to Colours*

I'd think better story/dialogue writing is a better way to gain more interest at the moment. Sales... Sonic games sell quite a significant amount no matter what. *points to 06* *points to Colours*

But...but... Colors deserves the sales it got, so I personally don't think it's fair to pair it with 06.

But...but... Colors deserves the sales it got, so I personally don't think it's fair to pair it with 06.

I agree. I am just showing that sales for Sonic games are not always dependant on quality. They sell good no matter what.

What If in the next game, every Sonic character who's been playable in a main game before is playable.

What If in the next game, every Sonic character who's been playable in a main game before is playable.

Too damn many.

They'll all end up playing like shit.

Such a game would have a significant chance of being poor in quality.

• Thumbs Up 5

Then we would end up with Sonic '06....a.k.a playing as 20 different character styles that almost all suck because seriously, Amy was COMPLETELY useless, Tails was useless, Rouge AND Knuckles were fairly useless, All of Shadow's vehicles AND the Mach speed sections were terrible, and Silver was also useless. Essentially, Sonic, Blaze, and Omega were good, Shadow was okay.

What I'm trying to say is HEEEEELLLLLLLL to the no.

Times like this make me wonder would it have been better for the series to split off into different series; The classic series with 2D gameplay, and mostly focus on the classic cast with about as much emphasis on story as Sonic 3 & Knuckles had, and a the 3D series which would focus on the majority of the characters, kinda like something akin to "Batman: Brave and Bold" with Sonic(and probably Tails) teaming up with a different character in every game.

Of course Sonic Team have shown they can't really replicate Classic gameplay where it actually feels like a classic game, and the latter will probably only have people complaining that their favorite character(s) didn't make the cut.

A solution to that: a dark side campaign with characters who didnt team with Sonic.

What about the game only includes characters important to the story?

What does "Important to the story" imply?

I mean there have to be some supporting/side characters somewhere.

And with how the stories are now, there isn't really much of a base for that..

Edited by Xenos

Well, Chip was important to Unleashed. Everyone in Unleashed added to the story, including the NPCs. So they all are important to the story.

Blaze, Knuckles, Silver.... All those people in Generations added nothing to the story, so they are not important and the game could have done without them.

We need to get more elaborate stories that have much more effort put into them.

Okay, so would anyone want to see character spinoffs again.

Never again. If you haven't noticed, most if not all of the character spinoffs were not received well. Only a select few characters should get a story in a mainstream game.

"Important to the story" implies either that there is a good ass reason for the character to be there to begin with, that the character who is there manages to contribute towards handling whatever conflict is going on in the plot, or at the very least the character isn't there to be there when they have something else they could be doing.

It's another way of saying "Don't put characters in a plot unless you're going to use them". Unless you're dealing with a Background character, who's role is to just be a part of the background as opposed to the more important Lead and Support characters who are more active, you shouldn't have characters try to fill a supporting role while they barely do any supporting or have a character in a Lead role and they're essentially doing nothing important that justifies them being in a lead role.

For example, Sonic in Sonic 06 was given a lead role alongside Shadow and Silver, yet the latter two characters deal with the actual conflicts that were central to the story while Sonic was saving the princess and was completely away from the conflict most of the time. Yes, the princess was the catalyst to the conflict, but she was hardly part of the conflict itself.

Another example from the same game would be Knuckles. He was given a support role in the game, yet the only things he did were deliver a letter to Sonic from Eggman and then help everyone else look for a Chaos Emerald to help resurrect Sonic. A support character does more than just two things in a plot unless that plot is incredibly simple, and Knuckles' inclusion in the game is essentially him being there just to be there. You could say the same for many other characters like Tails and Amy, and maybe Blaze.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Although with the large cast and how they handle stories now there isn't really a lot of room for lead characters or supporting characters to begin with. Which is why Sonic Colors actually tried to improvise and made the available characters (Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot) interesting with some great dialogue to boot. The story was going for that Saturday morning cartoon feel and it pulled it off pretty well.

Now Generations did it pretty wrong. It gave us the entire cast (minus Big and Omega for some strange reason?) And barring the Sonics and Tails', nobody really does anything. I pointed out before how, instead of actually helping both Sonics fight the Eggmen, they instead decided to cheer them on whilst them just getting crushed to near-death. I mean, what the hell Tails? You were right behind him! Do something!

And not just them, aaaall of them could have did something, but they stayed where they were. That entire scene feels really forced and irksome to me.

Knuckles' inclusion in the game is essentially him being there just to be there. You could say the same for many other characters like Tails and Amy, and maybe Blaze.

Considering Blaze was thrown in with absolutely no consistency to her canon Rush origin, and that all she does is interact with Silver and seal Iblis, yes she was there just to be there.

Okay, so would anyone want to see character spinoffs again.

I would.

No, not as in full-blown games like Shadow was, but another more off-tangent game ala Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? I'd be down for it.

Being realistic here, I hope we at least get Tails in the next game. If he's going to be around so much, there's no reason for him NOT to be playable.