Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

Okay, with Sonic Lost World introducing a new gameplay style with Sonic as the only playable character, I think it's time to try to come up with how other characters such as Tails and Knuckles or Amy would play in this style. What's very interesting about Lost World's gameplay is 2 things: 

• It resembles the anime scenes of Sonic CD and the action scenes of Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie (such as when Sonic and Tails are running through the Land of Darkness). 
  • It is also oddly very similar to how ideas for a new gameplay style for Sonic have been on this very site. 

With those things in mind, and with how the level design would be to match the gameplay style, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out how other characters would fit in. An example I thought of is while Sonic can free run up walls and climb up ledges, Knuckles would be able to use his iconic climbing on that very same surface. 

Okay, with Sonic Lost World introducing a new gameplay style with Sonic as the only playable character, I think it's time to try to come up with how other characters such as Tails and Knuckles or Amy would play in this style. What's very interesting about Lost World's gameplay is 2 things: 

• It resembles the anime scenes of Sonic CD and the action scenes of Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie (such as when Sonic and Tails are running through the Land of Darkness). 
  • It is also oddly very similar to how ideas for a new gameplay style for Sonic have been on this very site. 

With those things in mind, and with how the level design would be to match the gameplay style, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out how other characters would fit in. An example I thought of is while Sonic can free run up walls and climb up ledges, Knuckles would be able to use his iconic climbing on that very same surface. 

Remember how Amy can't Spindash in SA2? Make her lose the roll/spindash and give her something like better handling/jumping/parkour or a double jump.

Espio can probably handle way worse(Speed, Acceleration, turning) but be a god at parkour and killing enemies.

Metal sonic could have very high acceleration but be very slippery to make precise platforming very hard.

I mentioned before how Sonic's new gameplay is like the intro/outro of Sonic CD or certain scenes in the OVA movie. What I've also noticed is how Sonic's new gameplay also kind of resembles his actions and moves in the comics (Super Peelout, Spin Dash-Homing Attack, etc) Well, why don't we try to translate that to the other characters? Like, let's look at how Tails moves and fights in the OVA movie and the modern day Archie Comics. In the OVA, while Sonic does all the hopping and jumping between platforms and walls and such, Tails   is seen flying over that area and begins to fly when Sonic starts Peelout Dashing. (...that's basically how Tails always is...), and in the comics (and briefly shown in the movie), Tails is also seen using the Spin-Dash almost as much as Sonic, as well as using the Tail Attack from Sonic Adventure and the Advance series. So why don't we take that and expand upon that while also using Sonic's (new) gameplay style as a base? Maybe Tails can keep some of Sonic's parkour moves, but maybe change it up a bit so most of it has Tails swiftly flying over the obstacles. Maybe the run button can almost change into a "Fly" button for Tails? Not necessarily just flying in the air for 5 seconds, but having Tails start to propeller dash and over time transition into Flying? And maybe while holding the run/fly button, Tails can use various variations of the Tail Attack. 

EDIT: Just some more ideas for Tails that I got. Why not include/expand on the items/inventions/bombs thing from Tails' Adventure? I mean, having Tails have a variety of technology that he could use in gameplay such as the bombs in Tails Adventure, Dummy Rings in Heroes and 06, or even the Energy Ball Cannon or Magic Hook from Battle. Maybe this could be Tails' answer to the Wisps if only Sonic could use them. Or for the Wisps, we could do what Sonic 3 did. Have each Wisp have some effects and benefits for all characters, but only Sonic (And maybe Shadow and Silver?) can use the Color Power abilities like Laser or Drill.

I think I might do Knuckles and Amy tomorrow.

Edited by tsz11

I mentioned before how Sonic's new gameplay is like the intro/outro of Sonic CD or certain scenes in the OVA movie. What I've also noticed is how Sonic's new gameplay also kind of resembles his actions and moves in the comics (Super Peelout, Spin Dash-Homing Attack, etc) Well, why don't we try to translate that to the other characters? Like, let's look at how Tails moves and fights in the OVA movie and the modern day Archie Comics. In the OVA, while Sonic does all the hopping and jumping between platforms and walls and such, Tails   is seen flying over that area and begins to fly when Sonic starts Peelout Dashing. (...that's basically how Tails always is...), and in the comics (and briefly shown in the movie), Tails is also seen using the Spin-Dash almost as much as Sonic, as well as using the Tail Attack from Sonic Adventure and the Advance series. So why don't we take that and expand upon that while also using Sonic's (new) gameplay style as a base? Maybe Tails can keep some of Sonic's parkour moves, but maybe change it up a bit so most of it has Tails swiftly flying over the obstacles. Maybe the run button can almost change into a "Fly" button for Tails? Not necessarily just flying in the air for 5 seconds, but having Tails start to propeller dash and over time transition into Flying? And maybe while holding the run/fly button, Tails can use various variations of the Tail Attack. 

EDIT: Just some more ideas for Tails that I got. Why not include/expand on the items/inventions/bombs thing from Tails' Adventure? I mean, having Tails have a variety of technology that he could use in gameplay such as the bombs in Tails Adventure, Dummy Rings in Heroes and 06, or even the Energy Ball Cannon or Magic Hook from Battle. Maybe this could be Tails' answer to the Wisps if only Sonic could use them. Or for the Wisps, we could do what Sonic 3 did. Have each Wisp have some effects and benefits for all characters, but only Sonic (And maybe Shadow and Silver?) can use the Color Power abilities like Laser or Drill.

I think I might do Knuckles and Amy tomorrow.

The color powers, why can't the results simply be different? Let's say that when Sonic uses rocket is goes straight up and he descends slowly. When someone else uses it, they going diagonally and fall at normal speed or faster than normal speed. Spikes could be Colours(Double Jump, spin dash makes spike run out quicker) vs Generations HD(No Double Jump, spin dash doesn't make spike last shorter) for two characters.

Bring back Cream and Big but drop the dopeyness.

Maybe Big would be cool if he started wrestling Sharks?

bigshaded.jpg

........................Well I thought it was a cool idea.
  • Thumbs Up 2

What we have to work with currently is rather extensive but not impossible to balance out. We don't need to worry too much about making Dr. Eggman or Metal Sonic playable all that much for instance. But the characters all have certain positions they hold and things that motivate them to do what they do that makes it easier for them to be included logically... but at the same time, some of the more popular ones don't have that reason and take priority over the ones that do because of it.

There's the first four main characters. Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles. Knuckles himself can work within the position he has a main character. It's not working currently though because of what his position within it is supposed to be. Should they find a medium that works with him, there'd be no problem. As it stands, it's pretty obvious he's around because he came in early and is popular. 

Than there's the kind of secondary characters who all have varying degrees of inclusion. Shadow gets touted around a whole lot despite the fact that it's hard to come up with a singular thing for him to do even be around specifically for anymore. He's supposed to be an anti-hero in my opinion but they're kind of snubbing it for the sake of... I'm not too sure what really. Rouge obviously fits the bill there more than Shadow. And with her being a jewel thief, she has a job that directly correlates with possibilities concerning the chaos emeralds. And Omega has a direct conflict with Eggman and his robots. Even if he doesn't specifically desire Eggman's death, it can easily be turned around to say that he wants to take out Eggman's robots to prove that no matter what the doctor builds he can handle it just as well. Take those two characters and have them in a plot that requires their motivations and you've got an easy development cycle to work with. But Shadow's just been drained of it seemingly.

The Chaotix are detectives for hire. That's something that can be used for more expansive things down the line. When the characters need more information or if they just plain need to be in more places than they can be at a time. 

But than there's Silver and Blaze. They're both really popular but despite that, they can't be shoveled into the plot and have it make any sort of feasible sense nowadays. Silver in particular has zero reason to consciously go to Sonic's past if his future is a-okay now. Taking a risk like that would just muck it up. He works around a gimmick that really should only be used once. But it's been used so many times now it hurts and hurts worse each time it happens. Blaze, being from another dimension doesn't call for much freedom in story-telling as well. You just kind of have to think of a reason to get her into Sonic's world or Sonic into her world. It's the price of being popular that the common sense and the background they created for these characters get ruined and start to suffer despite those backgrounds playing apart as to why they're popular in the first place.

Cream, I have no Earthly clue what to do with. At least Shadow has a nugget of motivation and specific ideals behind him. Cream doesn't have anything she particularly wants to do. No motive, no real goal, or anything. She's just a kid whose friends with the characters. Not even a personal developmental goal that she wants to achieve exists like it did for Tails in Adventure 1. Not even an occupation over something like Charmy has as a detective. And their both the same age so I don't see what boundaries it'd be breaking to give her one.

No one should specifically be gone for good. After so many years and after so many fans have starting growing up with this cast, suddenly casting them aside (Any of them. Even the ones I feel less enthusiastic about and are causing problems when they show up within the story) isn't going to end all that well. 

For me, my ideal grievances could've been avoided had Silver's gimmick been over and done with after 2006 and had Blaze just stayed put in the Rush Series. And if Cream had purpose to even herself. 

But than there's Silver and Blaze. They're both really popular but despite that, they can't be shoveled into the plot and have it make any sort of feasible sense nowadays. Silver in particular has zero reason to consciously go to Sonic's past if his future is a-okay now. Taking a risk like that would just muck it up. He works around a gimmick that really should only be used once. But it's been used so many times now it hurts and hurts worse each time it happens. Blaze, being from another dimension doesn't call for much freedom in story-telling as well. You just kind of have to think of a reason to get her into Sonic's world or Sonic into her world. It's the price of being popular that the common sense and the background they created for these characters get ruined and start to suffer despite those backgrounds playing apart as to why they're popular in the first place.

Silver would be easier to use in a story if they retconned the whole "from the future" thing. It really isn't that important to his character anyway. As for Blaze, I wouldn't be against a spinoff franchise in which she's the main character...

Edited by ElectroKyurem

Silver would be easier to use in a story if they retconned the whole "from the future" thing. It really isn't that important to his character anyway. As for Blaze, I wouldn't be against a spinoff franchise in which she's the main character...

Yeah, it kind of is actually. It may not have anything to do with his personality but the foundation behind his very existence as a character is that he's from the future. That's really all he has going for him and it's a one off gimmick that doesn't bode well for continuous inclusions. He'd really just be an entirely new conceptual character should they get rid of the intention behind him. And I honestly wouldn't see him as one with much of a reason to stick around either. He already doesn't have much of a role or position to fill on his own despite being from the future. We'd have to give him something new on top of that to warrant continued appearances and a singular character motivation behind him. Can you think of anything that someone in this extensive cast isn't already doing? It may just be the curse of coming in so late to the series but eventually when things get crowded and what you have to bring to the table is something that can't be worked with all that well or is being done considerably well by a character more successful than you than I'm not going to see a point. If he can be fit into the thing with something that helps do away with that than maybe... 

... but I have a feeling his fans (nor the general fanbase) are going to see making him not from the future as a smart decision but as a desperate one to have an excuse just to put him in because he's popular and not because they have actual use for him. It's the equivalent to how they shoved Blaze into Sonic 06 sort of.

I wouldn't be interested in a Blaze spin-off of any kind. Her character is fine but I've personally never been able to get into her in any sort of medium. It doesn't help that my first exposure to her was Sonic 06 but every other thing I've seen her in hasn't convinced me that she's not just one of those super boring, serious types. I'm really against those kinds of characters. I don't mind just being serious but there's always some sort of interesting dynamic that comes with it. She doesn't have that for me. I can't say that I hate her generally though.

Silver's use as a character is only as limited as the writer's imagination. There's no reason he can't be given an established presence in the series should he be given a major role in the future, the problem I see with him is that he hasn't been given much of anything to do on account of the character's reception in 06.

Its like Knuckles and the Master Emerald, just because its a major part of the character doesn't mean the entire character's motivation and personality have to revolve around one concept.

Oh please, they could do lots of things with Silver even with him being from the future. Rather than have him come from the future to stop a threat that will affect his time period, he could instead be dragged from the future out of some freak incident and is trying to find a way back.

Or rather than bring him from the future to the present, why not bring Sonic and friends from the present to the future and explore that? Heck, Generation's wasted potential aside, it made quite a brilliant loophole in having Eggman screw up the world and bring everyone to a dimension where time and space was irrelevant.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Silver's use as a character is only as limited as the writer's imagination. There's no reason he can't be given an established presence in the series should he be given a major role in the future, the problem I see with him is that he hasn't been given much of anything to do on account of the character's reception in 06.

Its like Knuckles and the Master Emerald, just because its a major part of the character doesn't mean the entire character's motivation and personality have to revolve around one concept.

Exactly. There are no limitations when it comes to imagination. And you can't just take away a character's foundation and hope that will fix everything. In both cases, with Knuckles and Silver, they're not capitalizing on how they can function regardless of the concept they come with. He has no major role to currently fulfill and every time they've tried to give him one it screws something up with regards to continuity.

Oh please, they could do lots of things with Silver even with him being from the future. Rather than have him come from the future to stop a threat that will affect his time period, he could instead be dragged from the future out of some freak incident and is trying to find a way back.

Or rather than bring him from the future to the present, why not bring Sonic and friends from the present to the future and explore that? Heck, Generation's wasted potential aside, it made quite a brilliant loophole in having Eggman screw up the world and bring everyone to a dimension where time and space was irrelevant.

There is still an existing set of limitations imposed by that of course. One of them being that the story would need to regulate itself to some sort of connection with time travel, which isn't something I personally want to see the series engage in again. The friends going to his future sounds just fine in theory but I have little faith it can be pulled off correctly. Generally though, the use of a character from the future is something that I still hold as a one-time gimmicky deal. But like I said, if they can find a way to implement him regardless of the status they've given him as a character from the future that warrants continued appearances rather than just something we have to alter an entire plot-line just to put focus on only him for than sure. 

Yeah, it kind of is actually. It may not have anything to do with his personality but the foundation behind his very existence as a character is that he's from the future. That's really all he has going for him and it's a one off gimmick that doesn't bode well for continuous inclusions. He'd really just be an entirely new conceptual character should they get rid of the intention behind him. And I honestly wouldn't see him as one with much of a reason to stick around either. He already doesn't have much of a role or position to fill on his own despite being from the future. We'd have to give him something new on top of that to warrant continued appearances and a singular character motivation behind him. Can you think of anything that someone in this extensive cast isn't already doing? It may just be the curse of coming in so late to the series but eventually when things get crowded and what you have to bring to the table is something that can't be worked with all that well or is being done considerably well by a character more successful than you than I'm not going to see a point. If he can be fit into the thing with something that helps do away with that than maybe... 

There's more to Silver than the time period he comes from. Look at his psychokinesis, or better yet, his personality! He wants to be a hero, but his naivety and social awkwardness serve as impediments. Characters like that appeal to me, so I don't want to see him get scrapped or restricted to games with time travel.

There is still an existing set of limitations imposed by that of course. One of them being that the story would need to regulate itself to some sort of connection with time travel, which isn't something I personally want to see the series engage in again. The friends going to his future sounds just fine in theory but I have little faith it can be pulled off correctly. Generally though, the use of a character from the future is something that I still hold as a one-time gimmicky deal. But like I said, if they can find a way to implement him regardless of the status they've given him as a character from the future that warrants continued appearances rather than just something we have to alter an entire plot-line just to put focus on only him for than sure. 

Well here's a challenge: find a way to break those limitations without doing away with those connections.

Well here's a challenge: find a way to break those limitations without doing away with those connections.

We could go with your idea of having Silver sent back in time by accident, and deciding at the end of his story to remain in Sonic's time period. I've suggested this before, and I still don't see anything wrong with it.

If it can be achieved in a way that keeps him relevant and unique enough to warrant his inclusion I'm all for it. For a time, I was a big defender of Silver. Recently though, the more I see of him, the more angry and kind of put off I get by him. And it's not just the limitations that comes with being shackled to time travel.

There's more to Silver than the time period he comes from. Look at his psychokinesis, or better yet, his personality! He wants to be a hero, but his naivety and social awkwardness serve as impediments. Characters like that appeal to me, so I don't want to see him get scrapped or restricted to games with time travel.

I acknowledged that. I was the one who brought up his personality even. But again, a big deal concerning his general character is that he's from the future. How could he not come with a staple that restricts him to some kind of time travel element? You can't just have him be in Sonic's past, hanging around with everyone. He's from the future. Time isn't something you just screw around with to visit friends.

Even taking free reign of imagination into account, there are still going to be a realistic sense of limitations to abide by when it comes to his character as he is now. I know you're trying to make a case for him by saying just get rid of the time travel element but the very reason you can't do that is the same reason people got mad when Blaze was in 06 and why Knuckles is constantly getting touted out for being away from his emerald. 

You can't fix this by just taking away the fact that he's from the future. 

I enjoy seeing you guys put some thought into it. But here's a simpler idea: Time Stones.

I enjoy seeing you guys put some thought into it. But here's a simpler idea: Time Stones.

Whatever works. 

It's just a coherent problem that comes with characters like Silver and even Blaze. With Sonic and Tails there's no problem. Eggman will ALWAYS be trying to take over the world and they'll ALWAYS being trying to stop him and the different scenerios in which you can have that happen are seemingly endless. No one worries about running out of ideas for how to tell situations resulting from that.

Same with characters like the Chaotix. They're detectives and they're for hire. Their main objective is to get work and get paid. That's the stigma they're stuck to but it doesn't have much limitation when it comes with being able to go on missions or having mysteries to solve.

The chaos emeralds themselves revolve around a power source concept but again, there are plenty of ways to make that concept work differently. Rouge is a jewel theif; there are plenty of ways to make a missing gem play into the plot as well.

When you're from a specific time line or dimension and there are rules as to how just having them BE in the story and why the journey they're going on needs to relate back to why they're there and how them just being around makes sense and warrants the hassle of inclusion it's going to be a lot harder and doesn't grant as much free range to just do what you want with them. Add on the fact that whenever they DO show up, something gets screwed up or the story ends up suffering or being confused in some way, it's hard to put any real faith behind their ability to get it right.

There are ideas to explore with this. A lot more than we're being exposed to, that's for certain. As we go down the line, it's going to become almost unnecessarily imposing constantly having to find a reason to make the time travel/dimension hopping thing seem reasonably constant.

Edited by Crystal Chaotix 3

If it can be achieved in a way that keeps him relevant and unique enough to warrant his inclusion I'm all for it. For a time, I was a big defender of Silver. Recently though, the more I see of him, the more angry and kind of put off I get by him. And it's not just the limitations that comes with being shackled to time travel.

I acknowledged that. I was the one who brought up his personality even. But again, a big deal concerning his general character is that he's from the future. How could he not come with a staple that restricts him to some kind of time travel element? You can't just have him be in Sonic's past, hanging around with everyone. He's from the future. Time isn't something you just screw around with to visit friends.

Even taking free reign of imagination into account, there are still going to be a realistic sense of limitations to abide by when it comes to his character as he is now. I know you're trying to make a case for him by saying just get rid of the time travel element but the very reason you can't do that is the same reason people got mad when Blaze was in 06 and why Knuckles is constantly getting touted out for being away from his emerald. 

You can't fix this by just taking away the fact that he's from the future. 

But at the same time, you can't just leave the problem hanging there. And why should Silver be restricted to time travel? What's wrong with permanently establishing him in the same time period as the other characters, but acknowledging that he won't actually be born for another 186 years? He'd still be from the future, even if he doesn't live there anymore!

Edited by ElectroKyurem

What's wrong with permanently establishing him in the same time period as the other characters, but acknowledging that he won't actually be born for another 186 years? He'd still be from the future, even if he didn't live in it anymore!

Well for one, I'd like to actually explore the future. Unless you're going to allow him to travel back and forth from the future to the present.

Well for one, I'd like to actually explore the future. Unless you're going to allow him to travel back and forth from the future to the present.

I don't think you understand. I want to disassociate Silver from the concept of time travel. In my opinion, it does his character more harm than good.

No, I get what you're saying. And I don't want Silver to be disassociated from Time Travel because I see far more value in it as far as world-building, interaction, and overall storytelling goes, as well as using that as an excuse to bring other elements into the series. Having him associated with Time Travel does not mean he should be limited to that alone.

But at the same time, you can't just leave the problem hanging there. And why should Silver be restricted to time travel? What's wrong with permanently establishing him in the same time period as the other characters, but acknowledging that he won't actually be born for another 186 years? He'd still be from the future, even if he doesn't live there anymore!

What's wrong with it? Well, for one, why would he not want to live there anymore? Why would he permanently establish himself in the same time period with Sonic if his goals all hinge on the fact that he wants to protect the future he lives in? He can't do that by staying in the past. He's only gone to the past when doing so was something that warranted helping out the timeline he lives in. Why would he just forsake it to stay with Sonic's friends? All that would do is ignore concepts and traits about his character and personality that make up why he is the way he is for the sake of keeping him around. 

And again, just being from the future means him staying in the past grossly affects and alters what happens in his future timeline. Even if the future he comes from is a happy one, why would he jeopardize it by staying in the past and changing the flow of history with what he does? And why wouldn't he worry about what was happening in his future because of him? And why on Earth would he even care about his future if he didn't have people and places there that he specifically cared about and wanted to protect and see again? Are you suggesting he just hop back and forth all willy-nilly to see them? The exact thing he himself highlighted in the Rivals series as something you shouldn't do?

Would you suggest just trapping him in the past and leaving him with no way to get back to the future? So that every game he's in he can constantly fail at reaching the goal and live an ongoing tragedy in a series with no end just so he can have constant appearances?

He's always going to be associated with time travel in some way... however, we don't (in theory) need to regulate his appearances to it either. If you can string together a list of scenerios that include the future boy without the risky use of time travel than go ahead.

We can do the idea of his friends visiting his future. I don't know exactly how many times we can get away with the plot device but there's more to explore there. Just so long as the writers can steer clear of plot-holes (which I know they can't) and can actually come up with ideas that allow for something new to happen with him each time.

Either that or regulate the majority of his appearances as an optional playable character or an unlockable one... which isn't very fair to his fans honestly.

Edited by Crystal Chaotix 3

What's wrong with it? Well, for one, why would he not want to live there anymore? Why would he permanently establish himself in the same time period with Sonic if his goals all hinge on the fact that he wants to protect the future he lives in? He can't do that by staying in the past. He's only gone to the past when doing so was something that warranted helping out the timeline he lives in. Why would he just forsake it to stay with Sonic's friends? All that would do is ignore concepts and traits about his character and personality that make up why he is the way he is for the sake of keeping him around.

When you think about it, staying in the past is a perfectly valid way to protect the future. It's certainly more efficient than going back and forth every time something comes up.

And again, just being from the future means him staying in the past grossly affects and alters what happens in his future timeline. Even if the future he comes from is a happy one, why would he jeopardize it by staying in the past and changing the flow of history with what he does? And why wouldn't he worry about what was happening in his future because of him? And why on Earth would he even care about his future if he didn't have people and places there that he specifically cared about and wanted to protect and see again? Are you suggesting he just hop back and forth all willy-nilly to see them? The exact thing he himself highlighted in the Rivals series as something you shouldn't do?

Why would he jeopardize the future if he's trying to protect it? And considering the way Silver is entranced by the beauty of Sonic's time period in NextGen, I doubt he has fond memories of his own. Also, it's funny that you should mention "hopping back and forth all willy-nilly", because isn't that what Silver is currently doing?

Would you suggest just trapping him in the past and leaving him with no way to get back to the future? So that every game he's in he can constantly fail at reaching the goal and live an ongoing tragedy in a series with no end just so he can have constant appearances?

When you think about it, Silver's already living an ongoing tragedy. He keeps going back in time to save the future, but he never succeeds. Being stuck in the past would be the lesser of two evils.

We can do the idea of his friends visiting his future. I don't know exactly how many times we can get away with the plot device but there's more to explore there. Just so long as the writers can steer clear of plot-holes (which I know they can't) and can actually come up with ideas that allow for something new to happen with him each time.

Either that or regulate the majority of his appearances as an optional playable character or an unlockable one.

That really isn't a good way to handle it at all. You might as well have him scrapped.

Replies are in bold because I don't know how to dissect posts.

By the way, I'd like to suggest once again: why not just retcon him? All of the games he appears in are of dubious canon anyway, so it's not like it would damage the continuity.

Edited by ElectroKyurem

Exactly. There are no limitations when it comes to imagination. And you can't just take away a character's foundation and hope that will fix everything. In both cases, with Knuckles and Silver, they're not capitalizing on how they can function regardless of the concept they come with. He has no major role to currently fulfill and every time they've tried to give him one it screws something up with regards to continuity.

What I was saying is that doesn't prevent them from doing something with him in the future, nor do I see it as a viable excuse to not use him at all. Sparingly maybe, but almost never like they're currently doing.