Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

So I've finally returned here from playing the PS3 version all day (and cleaning a virus off my computer in the backround >_>), and this game is awesome (as if you all didn't already know :P). It's so awesome, that I plan to also pick up the 360 version in a day or two. So far, I'd personally say this beats Mario Kart, although that might just be the newness.

I played every default track and racer, plus I unlocked some of the more old school SOnic tunes as well as Ryo and Big. Played an online race and cleared the first 5 missions with AAA rank. I'm lovin' it!

Some tidbits:

-One of Big's victory moves is careening towards the camera, nearly hitting it, and then losing his motorcycle. Then he strikes a disco fever pose. lol

-House of the Dead is snuck in a few times. There is a mission titled "House of the Dread!" and in the history section the game is "HOTD".

-The final mission supposedly features Sonic in the Seaside Hill arena against a giant robot!

-Lack of ASMs in online mode really isn't missed. It's very competitive and once you are an ace player, you wouldn't get the ASMs anyway. You'd be too busy in first place! :P

-The Avatar bio made me laugh ( Something like "The avatar likes everything you like because the avatar is you!")

-I placed first with every default racer, so no unbalanced characters thus far.

Two of my friends have the game and tell me you CAN use All-Star moves online.

What are you guys talking about?

Better find new friends! ;)

Well, the game DID have an update (oddly) when I first put the disc in. But I doubt it was to include ASMs.

Better find new friends! ;)

Well, the game DID have an update (oddly) when I first put the disc in. But I doubt it was to include ASMs.

No I mean one of them is streaming online and I have SEEN them use All-Star moves online, but he has the Wii version.

-Lack of ASMs in online mode really isn't missed. It's very competitive and once you are an ace player, you wouldn't get the ASMs anyway. You'd be too busy in first place! :P

Thinking back to SOS 09's demo... Not played the new demo yet...

Would the online not be shockingly unbalanced if they were in? Go back to my ASR impressions post about the ASM's, I wondered if Sonic's would just put everyone elses to pointless since it was a boost/invincible charge... but Amy's could only damage people either side of her?

Maybe they should not go in the online mode, if only for the sake of game balance?

edit:

Two of my friends have the game and tell me you CAN use All-Star moves online.

What are you guys talking about?

Oh well if the god dam moves are in then this post is now worthless.... WORTHLESS! *manical laughter*

Grrr thats it! S0L Please may I have a Ryu F code for the PS3!? Owww look 1014 posts! Oh lord make this post useful... urm urm.... Bananas are a good source of potassium! Yeah that'll do!

Edited by Casanova

Is there an online battle mode? :3

Doubt it, but just makin' sure. xP

Nah, only racing apparently. But that's fine, battle mode is only offline multiplayer.

Instead of posting all of the All-star moves on here. (I haven't unlocked everyone yet, nor seem them all.) I'll just say that my favorite would have to be the Bonanza Bros. It's really cool when one of them jumps into the blimp( Which you control.) and skips to the head of the line, preceding by dropping bombs in front of everyone. (The car still boosts towards the front, unaffected by the bombs.) It's pretty cool.

And the more you press A, the more bombs you toss.

I'm a fan of Beats All-Star move. Nothing beats... well Beat skating down the raceway, tagging anyone who gets in his way! Not to mention it play JSRF music which just makes it worth it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the game is turning out great so far. If you like the demo, you'll like the rest of it. The roster is pretty balanced, the and characters feel unique. Big is probably one of my favorites so far.

The framerate in the 360 version has been fixed, and hiccups are minimal. So if you're debating on what version to get, it shouldn't really be a factor.

I will complain though(and someone is going to bitch at me for this, I'm sure) but it carries with it one of those big problems Mario Kart had, which would be leading for the entire race until you're hit with an item or All-Star move, and then you're in the "middle of the pack" where you're just far back enough not to get any of the good items, but not enough to save you from the onslaught that comes from behind you. Honestly, I can do well, but one screw up, preventable or otherwise can really do you in, and it's kind of frustrating.

That aside, it's a really great game and I recommend it to all.

• Thumbs Up 1

The framerate in the 360 version has been fixed, and hiccups are minimal. So if you're debating on what version to get, it shouldn't really be a factor.

I get a solid 30 frames that'll sometimes jump up to 60. It looks so pretty when it's in 60. 'tis a depressing thing. @u@

Also-- is it me or is the framerate better ONLINE than it is Offline?

On an incredibly trivial note, I love the way the rings look in this game. I mean, I generally prefer the slimmer rings from the Adventure games, '06 and Unleashed, but SaSASR's version of the Heroes/Shadow chunky donut rings are really quite nice, and the pickup animation's great as well.

All in all, the missions look very worthwhile. I'm starting to want this game rather badly.

Looking at this game as an achievement whore:

The achievements in this game are seriously wonky. I tried several times to get the one where you have to finish a race without making any "collisions." Yet I know I've finished races without hitting any walls, other players, nor get hit by items. And no achievement. So I started doing crazy crap like not hitting item boxes, not attacking other players with items, etc. FInally got it after one random race, not sure what I was doing in that one.

And I got the one that has you knocking another player off the track without an item, with an item. Playing as Shadow on the first track and launched a triple boxing glove around that corkscrew. A second later the achievement popped. I didn't bump into any other racers during that time or anything.

But anyway thus far fairly easy achievements(when they work) assuming you're playing on beginner. Game has a list of integer incremented progress bars for all the achievements for easy reference. The one that has you do the All Star move as all characters is a little annoying and time consuming though, especially when you can't figure out which of 7 characters you haven't done it with if you're trying to match your progress up with the win a race with all characters achievement.

Why in the world should we take out one shitty hedgehog rival in order to put in another (even shittier) hedgehog rival?

>implying Metal Sonic is inferior to Shadow

Chuckling_muttley.jpg

No seriously, it's a god damn shame Shadow is the more popular one. He does NOT deserve it.

Also, if I wanted to get into drifting matches, I'd find a mode specifically made for such. Ah well, clearly online is not the main attraction here.

A 7/10 review from Official Xbox Magazine UK -

Full review

Verdict

A fun but deeply familiar karter

Uppers

Good use of Sega history

Tight controls

It's basically Mario Kart

Downers

Doesn't feel at all fresh

Occasionally irritating courses

Looks like reviewers have moved on from comparisons and are now calling it Mario Kart. At the top of the review they call it Sonic Kart, make your minds up OXM.

My copy just came troug te post. Yay! Gonna play as soon as i can, ut frist i must read te manual. And umm, keyoard s roken. Sorry.

Come on Mr.Postman!!!!!!

EDIT: YAAAAYYYYY ALL 3 VERSIONS HAVE COME :D Will pick up PS3 version tomorrow XD

The ASR Wii Wheel says it was made by Mad Catz.

EDIT 2: Why do the Wii and DS versions back covers say 19 favourite characters? :huh: Shouldnt they say 20 or 21 in the Wii's case because of Mii's?

Xbox 360 says 22 which we all know inclues Banjo & Kazooie and Avatars.

EDIT 3:

I like the Sonic Spinball advertising on the back of the manuals :D

Just got it and been playing it for an hour or so now :P

It's too early for me to comment on the racers and tracks, but I'd say they're well varied :]

If any of you fancy randomly adding me on Xbox Live to race online feel free to add me (as long as you leave a message saying you're from here), my GT is Nerotic Shadows.

Looking through the packaging, in the box and in the manual but no Ryo-F code. I definitely pre-ordered my Xbox 360 version at GAME's website when the offer was there. Do we get the code e-mailed to us?