Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

:|

Shadow is immortal, can fly with his shoes/Chaos Control, has enough strength to flip busses, can fire lightning from his hands, can go super, and can use Chaos Control to instantly outspeed the fastest character in the franchise.

Silver can travel through time, fly (and keep up with/outspeed Sonic while doing so), has psychokinesis, can go super, can use Chaos Control, and is also capable of dead-stopping Sonic mid-homing attack.

Metal Sonic, in addition to all of Sonic's abilities, minus Super Sonic, can fly, outspeed Sonic in short bursts, turn into a dragon, copy any other character's abilites (although this ability has *thankfully* been downplayed lately), use Chaos Control, become invincible with the use of the Black Shield, probably has super strength from being a robot, and can be rebuilt upon death.

Knuckles has his strength and can glide.

Now tell me about balance. Anyway, I'm not suggesting that they add on Chaos abilities, as they're broken and pretty much the bane of the continuity. Knuckles just needs more powers that sets him apart as the Master Emerald's caretaker. He's sat next to the damn thing his whole life, you'd think he'd get SOME power from it.

EDIT: New pet peeve, Sonic isn't the fastest anymore.

To be fair, Sonic can also use Chaos Control, Shadow's is fairly limited when he doesn't have an emerald, and Metal Sonic is designed to be better than Sonic in anyway.

Even so, Super Strength isn't something that should be overlooked.

• Thumbs Up 1

My pet peeve: Why not bring Hyper Sonic back?

(It would be interesting to see him actually lose for once and thus forcing him to master his form. Would be a nice change of pace, if you will..)

Edited by LoiLoi17
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was non-canon even in its only game, it really seems that it was just a throwaway idea to mitigate the split of Sonic 3 into two parts.

EDIT: New pet peeve, Sonic isn't the fastest anymore.

He is, Shadow just has speed-enhancing rocket shoes. Speaking of, a pet peeve of mine is that the series has "the Ultimate Lifeform" as a character. Sonic is the fastest, Knuckles is the strongest, Tails can fly, then we have Shadow who can do all of this (better), as well as several other ridiculous abilities... Also, he died at the end of Adventure 2 yet they brought him back, ruined his character and made SA2's ending meaningless. And now he's just Boost fodder. As much as I enjoyed taking him down in Generations, he's a total pushover. Also SEGA can't seem to make Sonic's rivalries last more than 2 games except with Metal Sonic, who's been missing since Heroes (in the main series anyway).

The "Ultimate Life Form" label refers to Shadow's immortality because of the fact that he was designed to be an "Ultimate Life Form" he as created to cure a disease, plus he uses it to boost his own ego.

Plus, since can Shadow fly? And no Chaos Control doesn't count.

Plus, since can Shadow fly? And no Chaos Control doesn't count.

Well, he can hover infinitely on the spot in both ShTH and '06. I guess for Generations they just decided that his skating looked ridiculous at when boosting. Flying is the next best thing considering he's using his hover shoes.

... Good grief is Shadow a lame, over powered character.

• Thumbs Up 4

Tell me about it. If he was a fancharacter, people would be screaming to kill him. He's a creator's pet through and through and no games better show it than ShTH, Battle and '06.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, he can hover infinitely on the spot in both ShTH and '06. I guess for Generations they just decided that his skating looked ridiculous at when boosting. Flying is the next best thing considering he's using his hover shoes.

That's hovering, which is completely different from flying; Tails flies, Shadow does not.

And really Shadow's overpowered streak has been severely downplayed lately, considering he didn't do shit in Colors and in Generations he's no more powerful than Sonic.

EDIt: Ya know what's a new pet peeve of mine, when people go on about how terribly overpowered Shadow is despite not being the case for over 5 years. I mean really people, are we never going to let him that down and continue to demean him for it.

Edited by The Batman

Shadow hasn't stopped being overpowered, we just haven't seen much of him in those last 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 4

EDIT: Ya know what's a new pet peeve of mine, when people go on about how terribly overpowered Shadow is despite not being the case for over 5 years. I mean really people, are we never going to let him that down and continue to demean him for it.

He's as fast as Sonic... AND WEARS HOVER SHOES

He's as strong as Sonic... AND HAS GUNS AND SHOOTS ENERGY BALLS

He's a tough guy... AND HAS A TROUBLED PAST

He's look like Sonic... BUT IS BLACK

I could go on. See, I like Shadow, but he is terribly over powered. And that has nothing to do with the fact that he's had minimal appearances these past few years. He's just overpowered and 10 year old 'cool' by design.

• Thumbs Up 6

Those who say that Sonic was born in Green Hill Zone or originated from there.

There is literally not one single shred of canonical evidence that proves this notion to even be vaguely true. Green Hill Zone was the first zone in Sonic history. That doesn't mean it's Sonic birthplace or place of origin.

I've noted before how human aspects of Sonic character design is fanart is very off-putting and squicky to me but the other thing that looks awful in fanart/fanmade bio's of Sonic characters is making them as tall as human adolescents/adults. They're not 5-6 feet tall unless they're based on large animals or are naturally big (Like Big), they typically average 3 feet tall. And this is for a good reason; To not make them look freakish in their big-ness compared to humans.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a small pet-peeve: Sonic doesn't really have a back story other than he was born on Christmas Island, and left to go on adventures when he got bored of his birth place. It's no big deal, but it sort of bugs me that the protagonist doesn't have a little more back story than that, yet other characters like Knuckles, Eggman, and Shadow do.

I have a small pet-peeve: Sonic doesn't really have a back story other than he was born on Christmas Island, and left to go on adventures when he got bored of his birth place. It's no big deal, but it sort of bugs me that the protagonist doesn't have a little more back story than that, yet other characters like Knuckles, Eggman, and Shadow do.

Well, it does help his status as an enigmatic drifter esque character to a degree, wouldn't you say?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it does help his status as an enigmatic drifter esque character to a degree, wouldn't you say?

Yeah, I guess. I mean, it's not a big deal to me, it's just something I found a bit odd. But that's just me.

I think that would sort of take away the mysterious aura around him. Plus, Sonic's never been the kind of character to dwell or think about his past probably because I guess there's nothing that stood for him.

Sonic's more of 'foward' guy. He thinks less of where he's from and more of where he hasn't been.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think that would sort of take away the mysterious aura around him. Plus, Sonic's never been the kind of character to dwell or think about his past probably because I guess there's nothing that stood for him.

Sonic's more of 'foward' guy. He thinks less of where he's from and more of where he hasn't been.

Yeah, that makes sense, I suppose. I guess it ties to how he's like the wind and such.

Every character has one central ability that makes them different. (Sonic = Speed, Knuckles = Strength, Eggman = Control over Technology, Omega = Good with Weapons) Shadow has EVERYTHING. He can even do the *Sonic* Boost now. May god have mercy on us all...

Another pet peeve is the "Robotnik! No, Eggman! No, Robotnik!" thing getting so out of hand. Just because he doesn't call himself his real name doesn't mean you can't! How many times do Bowser and Tails refer to themselves as Koopa and Miles? Yeh that's what I thought ;L but S4:E2's listing of Dr. Eggman's full name as "?????????" pisses me off I will admit.

How many times do Bowser and Tails refer to themselves as Koopa and Miles?

Just nitpicking but Bowser is Bowser's real name. He just has a different name in Japan.

I find it bizarre as well because they made Eggman AND Robotnik canon in the best possible way in all regions and people still aren't satisfied. That and I wish it would become common knowledge that Sonic Adventure was badly translated and we should ignore the "he calls himself Robotnik but Sonic calls him Eggman as a joke" attempt at a transition to the new name, which of course failed miserably.

• Thumbs Up 7

He's as fast as Sonic... AND WEARS HOVER SHOES

He's as strong as Sonic... AND HAS GUNS AND SHOOTS ENERGY BALLS

He's a tough guy... AND HAS A TROUBLED PAST

He's look like Sonic... BUT IS BLACK

I could go on. See, I like Shadow, but he is terribly over powered. And that has nothing to do with the fact that he's had minimal appearances these past few years. He's just overpowered and 10 year old 'cool' by design.

I didn't know half of those things were superpowers?

Seriously, if you don't go by the extra shit spin offs add to his moveset, he only has two moves over Sonic; Chaos Spear and Chaos Blast neither of which are shown to be very destructive or overpowered in any way(Hell 06 nerfed Chaos Blast funnily enough). Overpowered implies that he can just one shot everything, and can defeat anyone, which I'll admit to being completely true prior to 2007, he beat virtually everyone and no one could touch him in the slightest, especially in Sonic X, but afterwards?Hell no. His major appearances were in the Rivals games, and Black Knight where he was no more powerful than every other character in those games.

I understand people would have a problem with the amount of powers Shadow has, but unless he begins one shotting people like he was back then, he's not overpowered, he hasn't been since 05-06.

On the other hand, this whole perception is probably due to the fact that Shadow has no clear weaknesses or flaws, at all. He's never been presented as less than perfect at anything, at worse he's just equal to everyone else.

and Black Knight where he was no more powerful than every other character in those games.

Ha ha ha.

NO.

Lancelot was by far overpowered in Black Knight. Even more so with Draig Goch equipped. There is literally no reason as to why one should pick any other knight over him because he is that almighty. His only setback is his ability on walls, in which his wall attack is very linear and has a near-suicidal delay time but these are very minor weaknesses and do not offset his outstanding capabilities.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow was absurd in Sonic X.

Its ironic, that Shadow has the most "development" of all Sonic characters, yet is in dire need of an almost complete retooling in character. Mostly, reducing the range of attacks he possesses, and/or offsetting some of his major powers with drawbacks (i.e, he's as fast as Sonic, but doesn't handle as well due to rocket boots). That and I'd rather see him with a snarky, but smooth secret agent/spy personality (given him being a supposed military weapon.

Overpowered implies that he can just one shot everything
No it doesn't.

I mean, look at this. In addition to being able to do pretty much everything Sonic can, Shadow:

1. Is supposedly immortal

2. Has a wider variety of chaos powers

3. Actually uses his chaos powers

4. Can flip a bus with one hand

5. Has hovershoes

6. Is both willing and able to use a wide variety of guns and vehicles

7. Can power up further by removing his ring cuffs

You could take one of these and build an interesting and balanced character around it. Having all of this is pretty ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2

No it doesn't.

I mean, look at this. In addition to being able to do pretty much everything Sonic can, Shadow:

1. Is supposedly immortal

2. Has a wider variety of chaos powers

3. Actually uses his chaos powers

5. Has hovershoes

7. Can power up further by removing his ring cuffs

You could take one of these and build an interesting and balanced character around it. Having all of this is pretty ridiculous.

I choose this one!

"I thought I knew who I was... I thought fulfilling Maria's wish would allow me to live a life of importance and freedom, but once again I sit here, just wondering what it is in this world I'm supposed to d-"

"Someone help, the phantom upside-downer is on the loose and wrecking havoc with the busses!"

"STAND ASIDE CITIZENS."

Game of the year.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 7

Ha ha ha.

NO.

Lancelot was by far overpowered in Black Knight. Even more so with Draig Goch equipped. There is literally no reason as to why one should pick any other knight over him because he is that almighty. His only setback is his ability on walls, in which his wall attack is very linear and has a near-suicidal delay time but these are very minor weaknesses and do not offset his outstanding capabilities.

I meant storywise.

But damn, I had almost forgotten how broken he was in that game.

No it doesn't.

You have a better definition?

He does this in two games, and now suddenly it's apart of his permanent moveset? I guess that means Amy can turn invisible now too huh.

5. Has hovershoes

...This is a power?

And you could still build a balanced character out of it, it just hasn't been done. Even then, in Generations he's no more powerful than Sonic in their boss fight.

Just nitpicking but Bowser is Bowser's real name. He just has a different name in Japan.

I thought his full name was King Bowser Koopa now?

Speaking of which, second names for animal characters. We go from Blaze the Cat and Vector the Crocodile to Tails Prower the Fox and Amy Rose the Hedgehog, and it bugs me because does this mean all animals have second names? I hope not because I know they'll give them stupid names like Sonic Ogilvie Maurice or whatever Archie calls him...

• Thumbs Up 2