Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Another thing that bothers me is when people still complain about Sonic's voice actor.

>Ryan leaves, and Griffith replaces, fans want Ryan back

>Jason leaves, Roger replaces, fans want Jason back

What is also ironic is that the second Jason walks out of the door, the same people that bashed him during his acting days as Sonic want Jason to voice Sonic again.

• Thumbs Up 2

My writing style is original flavor... So I just write characters and their relationships exactly as they are in the game continuity... THAT is why I spend good afternoons on TV Tropes doing extensive research on them.

I'm a fanfic maniac and I don't tend to favour fics with OC's in them. Afterall, I read fics to read about Sonic and co, not some self-insert, spotlight-stealing annoying Sue. Which 95% of OC fics tend to have

HOWEVER. There have been quite a few fanfics I've read that contain balanced, likeable and non-spotlight stealing OC's. So I'm not against fics on principle when they announce that they contain OC's in the description. But as I said, because about 95% of OC-containing fics have annoying, spotlight-stealing Sue's in them, I'm automatically inclined to be wary.

Also; Characterization, abilities, quirks, actions etc make a character. Not voice. Voice makes the character more believable but it's not as important as the character's personality etc.

Another peeve? Those who label Tails a girl. Spanish dub of SatAM refers to Tails with female pronouns in that language and you make it into a gag or even make it a fact that Tails is a girl? Oh ha ha, you're so funny and knowledgeable dry.png

• Thumbs Up 1

The pale and vague art style-based discussions that happen in the Sonic community kind of cheeses me off. I know I shouldn't be so critical considering a game series is going to be more privy to game design discussion more than anything else, and even I'm not an art expert myself so I can't be too critical, but I do wish the conversation could be more than just "Sonic is a cartoon-looking character thus realism is bad." It just really speaks of a striking ignorance of both art and even the actual art style of the series, so the more I go through my schooling to actually learn about cartoons, the less patient I am with such statements and conversations. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont mind realism as long as it meshes well with the characters, which is why I constantly say that games like Sa1 and Unleashed have the right idea while games like Sa2 and 06 do not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'd assume most people don't mind anything "when it meshes well" with something. Rather, my complaint is aimed at the sweeping generalizations that tend to happen in art-based discussions, such as the vague demonization of realism. Even the classics got progressively more realistic in the way the locations and effects were rendered (CD notwithstanding; it is an anomaly in everything), but even they're considered "surreal" by a lot of people, which is both shortsighted critique and technically incorrect.

I don't even think of SA2 as realistic in the vein that Sonic 06 was either; in fact, I think SA2 gets an undeserved bad rap in this regard. It has a bright, sometimes highly contrasting color palette, a noticeably angular style for its characters and locations, and Disney-ish humans in the FMV cutscenes. It's not anymore real to me than SA1 is.

A hilariously ridiculous one. This is a screencap from Sonic the Comic Online:

Stivsuper.jpg

The fact there are three spikes on his right eye and four on his left annoys me greatly. Needs more symmetry!

Oh, I think this was mentioned sometime back, but here's a pet peeve of mine:

The bounce attack and the light speed dash being mapped to the same button. It was a problem in SA2, and they (Sonic Team) repeated it again in 06. Not to mention that 1) The B and Y (at least in CG, I think it's the same for the levels too) buttons do the exact same thing in NGC version of SA2 (perhaps they could map the bounce attack to the Y button and the light speed dash to the B button?) and 2) the B button isn't even used in Sonic's story in 06...when it could have been used to map the two moves on seperate buttons. Bottomless pits + light speed dash is never really fun in these two games.

Edited by Burnt Ash
  • Thumbs Up 8

A hilariously ridiculous one. This is a screencap from Sonic the Comic Online:

Stivsuper.jpg

The fact there are three spikes on his right eye and four on his left annoys me greatly. Needs more symmetry!

i don't think symmetry is necessary for this, its merely just his quills bristling out randomly to cause a tattered look, Fleetway Super has always had this look.

Those countless "episodes" of Mary Sue recolours that you find all over YouTube annoy me. Not only are they badly made in Windows Movie Maker, but they also have stupidly long intros and some TERRIBAD voice acting. And why do they always have to take images from Sonic X or random recoloured fanart from DeviantArt? Don't get me started on some AMV's!

• Thumbs Up 1

Those countless "episodes" of Mary Sue recolours that you find all over YouTube annoy me. Not only are they badly made in Windows Movie Maker, but they also have stupidly long intros and some TERRIBAD voice acting. And why do they always have to take images from Sonic X or random recoloured fanart from DeviantArt? Don't get me started on some AMV's!

Those are so stupid, pointless, and annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of my friends told me Nazo was his favourite character and asked me what games he's in. -_-

The way Tails and Knuckles don't go fully Super in Heroes. Also the way it's never explained what happened to Sonic or Knuckles' family. Did Knuckles' egg take 1000s of years to hatch or something?

The way Tails and Knuckles don't go fully Super in Heroes. Also the way it's never explained what happened to Sonic or Knuckles' family. Did Knuckles' egg take 1000s of years to hatch or something?

How could Tails go super?

People are forgetting that Tails' Super form not only was non-canon but also could only be achieved through Super Emeralds NOT Chaos Emeralds. So if Tails could suddenly turn Super in Heroes, it would make no sense whatsoever and would be highly inconsistent.

People are forgetting that Tails' Super form not only was non-canon but also could only be achieved through Super Emeralds NOT Chaos Emeralds. So if Tails could suddenly turn Super in Heroes, it would make no sense whatsoever and would be highly inconsistent.

Oh yeah how could I forget :o there's another pet peeve of mine: Why can't Tails go super with the Chaos Emeralds?

Oh yeah how could I forget ohmy.png there's another pet peeve of mine: Why can't Tails go super with the Chaos Emeralds?

I've always personally thought that it was due to his age. He couldn't tap into the amount of Chaos Energy given off by the normal emeralds and was only tuned and receptive to enormous amounts of Chaos Energy given off by the Supers and even then, could only use a certain amount of that energy, sufficient to make a Super form.

Only a theory though.

Oh yeah how could I forget ohmy.png there's another pet peeve of mine: Why can't Tails go super with the Chaos Emeralds?

Because, if he did, Sonic would essentially be rendered useless?

Tails Super form was inconsistent in itself. Why was it that he couldn't tap into the power of the Chaos Emeralds, but could harness the power of the stronger Super Emeralds? It only made sense from a gameplay perspective.

It bothers me that Tails and Knuckles' Super forms are considered non-canon. Not everyone should be able to go Super, like say Amy or Rouge, but Tails and Knuckles work. Knuckles due to his obvious connections to the Master Emerald and S3K plot, and Tails because he's proved himself a force to be reckoned with. It kind of bugs me that he no longer admires and wants to be like Sonic, but instead tags along as his portable mechanic. Having him grow tired of Sonic's attitude is great ("Well I've seen you save the day a lot of times, but I've never seen you talk to a pile of metal."), just don't get rid of what Tails' character was all about in the beginning.

On the subject of the Emeralds, I kind of don't like the way that they're the go-to plot element for just about everything. It really worked for Chaos and everything else is rather forced. Colours distinct lack of Emeralds in the plot was really nice, and Generations the opposite.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know this is probably beating a dead horse, but I cannot stand what has happened to the supporting cast.

Every single character barring Sonic & Eggman has lost all relevance in the series outside of the occasional spin off. Tails? He's just there for exposition and some "techy" stuff and the only reason he's probably even kept in the newer games is probably so Sonic can have someone to talk to. Knuckles? He's a fucking joke now who nobody takes seriously and is just there to be abused under the impression that it's "funny". Amy? She just fangirls over Sonic. Shadow's a walking cliche, and Rouge is just around for the furries. Everyone else is just multiplayer fodder. And what really gets me is how Sega are getting praised for this shit, basically ensuring they're going to keep things this way for god knows how long.

It's just how the fuck can people praise Sega for this shit? It's like nobody has a brain and would rather kill everyone else off rather than doing the logical thing and fucking fix them, it's absurd. It's like the hatred this series has attained has robbed people of common fucking sense, and it's actively preventing the progression of an easily fixable problem. And if you actually try to explain something so simple to these people? "Lol ur a Sonic fag" It's just Fuck. the gaming community sometimes. I know Sega/Sonic Team are mostly to blame for trying to cater to these assholes, but I blame them more for putting such a mentality in their heads; Sega are just doing what the public wants which there's nothing with, that's a logical business decision on their part, especially given their financial situations(Which they admittedly got themselves into), but for the public to assume, that for some ungodly reason, getting rid of an entire portion of the cast is somehow a solution instead fixing them is just, *UGH*.

So yeah, I kind of hate the media. That felt good.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've always personally thought that it was due to his age. He couldn't tap into the amount of Chaos Energy given off by the normal emeralds and was only tuned and receptive to enormous amounts of Chaos Energy given off by the Supers and even then, could only use a certain amount of that energy, sufficient to make a Super form.

Only a theory though.

Adding to that, it would be cool for them to show now that since then, Tails has gotten more experienced and gained better control over Chaos Energy and is now able to turn Super with only the Chaos Emeralds.

Or, whatever it was that prevented Tails from using the Chaos Emeralds had changed. Like, for example...

I've always personally thought that it was due to his age.
Hey, time passed between S3&K and Heroes. Tails is older and more experienced. Maybe now he can use the emeralds?

Tails Super form was inconsistent in itself. Why was it that he couldn't tap into the power of the Chaos Emeralds, but could harness the power of the stronger Super Emeralds? It only made sense from a gameplay perspective.
The Super Emeralds have more energy to give, maybe? Like trying to reach into a Pringles can, it's easier when it's full, and you don't have to try to cram your hand all the way in.

Not everyone should be able to go Super, like say Amy or Rouge, but Tails and Knuckles work. Knuckles due to his obvious connections to the Master Emerald and S3K plot, and Tails because he's proved himself a force to be reckoned with.
And other characters haven't? What's Tails done that Amy hasn't?

It kind of bugs me that he no longer admires and wants to be like Sonic, but instead tags along as his portable mechanic. Having him grow tired of Sonic's attitude is great ("Well I've seen you save the day a lot of times, but I've never seen you talk to a pile of metal."), just don't get rid of what Tails' character was all about in the beginning.
I really have to disagree. I mean, there's problems with how they've handled Tails' character past SA, but having an arc where he realizes that he's not going to grow up to be just like Sonic, but instead he's got to find his own way to do things...that is genuinely good, that is a better concept than most of what the series has produced. I would prefer he be a bit more front line and a bit less support, but I think it's a good thing for him to evolve past how he was in the Genesis games, both in character and in gameplay.

Tails? He's just there for exposition and some "techy" stuff and the only reason he's probably even kept in the newer games is probably so Sonic can have someone to talk to.
That's not relevance? What great relevance did he have before that he's lost?

Amy? She just fangirls over Sonic.
Was there ever a time where this wasn't true?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah the immortal guy is frail.

Okay, I know late to the party but this kinda bugged me. But immortality and frailness are not antonyms of each other. A better term would be "invincible" which thankfully Shadow is not.

Despite Shadow being immortal, we have no idea to what extent whether he can easily regenerate wounds, or that he flat out cannot die period. We know he's ageless, but all in all being immortal doesn't mean he can't be a Glass Cannon and be incapable of taking more powerful hits.

Which is what I honestly believe should happen for Shadow. As much as one hates to hear him being called overpowered (and despite how debatable it is), it becomes hard to argue when he has the powers he wields.

Was there ever a time where this wasn't true?

SA1? Sure she still had eyes for Sonic, but she wasn't so fangirlish there.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

And other characters haven't? What's Tails done that Amy hasn't?

Tails purpose is/was to be like Sonic, Amy's is to get laid. I suppose the "Tails isn't experienced enough to use the Emeralds card kind of works, but I don't particularly like it, and it leaves a problem when the naive and inexperienced Silver can. Blaze grew to understand the power of the Sol Emeralds and harness them, Silver just magically used the Chaos Emeralds off the bat. He's otherwise not shown himself to be at all special in any way expect, well being 'special'.

Pet peeve: Thinking too bloody hard about this series where things are made up on the spot.

Edited by Blue Blood

I think a testament to how badly the emeralds an be used is Heroes where they played absolutley no role in the story until the final act where Eggman wishes on a whim that they had the emeralds to stop Metal Sonic, and lo and behold Sonic and co just /happen/ to have them, despite the characters having no story incentive to actually GET the emeralds, it was literally pure coincidence.

Edited by The Noodle

Ah, speaking of Chaos Emeralds... Aquaslash will probably hate me for this, but... Super Forms... meh.