Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Pet Peeve: When people treat only having Sonic as the main playable character as some type of plague on the series. I get that Sonic isn't everyone's favorite character, and that the fans have their own characters they latch onto, but I get the feeling that some people forget who's name is in the fucking title and completely forgot just what the hell happened when the supporting cast began to displace him as the main focus. The series almost died because so much focus was taken away from Sonic, but apparently people have forgotten the last 10 years. It's not like the supporting cast is dead, they're just in limbo for the time being and will be used when Sega feel like, and not because you keep on bitching about it.

Ahh that felt good.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just like to drop in and say for everyone to try not to get personal about opinions. I mean these are pet peeves; it's gonna lead to just people having distaste for things just because, and I know some people are going to take it to heart. Seems like it's died down a bit, but just want to make it clear now before heated finger pointing and faces of angry come out again.

Just stay cool and stuffs, thanks!

• Thumbs Up 5

Verte mentioned Super Sonic earlier, so I wanted to reiterate my pet peeve of him being the ultimate unlockable in most Sonic games. I don't know; I feel like after sitting down well past the main story's down to scour the levels for every single item necessary to my completion percentage, I deserve a lot more than a palette swap and invincibility mode. Why not give that to people who beat the main story and then make the final unlockable a new level or something? I mean, I was very willing to work towards Night of the Livid Dead, and I'm gearing up to do the same on Donkey Kong to reach the Golden Temple. I don't know; Super Sonic as the ultimate reward just feels like a cheap throwaway to me nowadays.

And speaking of full completion, who else's OCD meter goes through the roof due to it being impossible to fully fix the Earth in Unleashed? That one little chunk just sits there, and it makes me grind my teeth.

• Thumbs Up 8

Pet Peeve: When people treat only having Sonic as the main playable character as some type of plague on the series. I get that Sonic isn't everyone's favorite character, and that the fans have their own characters they latch onto, but I get the feeling that some people forget who's name is in the fucking title and completely forgot just what the hell happened when the supporting cast began to displace him as the main focus. The series almost died because so much focus was taken away from Sonic, but apparently people have forgotten the last 10 years. It's not like the supporting cast is dead, they're just in limbo for the time being and will be used when Sega feel like, and not because you keep on bitching about it.

Ahh that felt good.

See, you sort of gave yourself an answer right here. For so many years (1994 through to 2007, that's 13 years encompassing some of the best and worst games of the series) Sonic games had a wide cast of supporting characters, who played important roles not only in the gameplay and plots, but also in keeping fans interested. SEGA did some really stupid things with them time and time again varying from having so many characters at once to making them play terribly, though the important thing is the characters themselves were such a big part for so long. Now that they've been reduced to a pack of cheerleaders (and might I add, they're more like flag girls save for Tails) many fans are perfectly entitled to feel alienated and upset by this drastic change. It's not like SEGA have just reigned them all in, they've practically culled an important part of the series.

Unleashed was refreshing, but now I feel like it's been going on for far too long. And I really see no reason to make lesser versions of the main series titles (Unleashed Wii, Colours DS, Generations 3DS), rather than a less focused side series that does things differently (Advance, Rush). It's only limiting in my eyes. They still want to play it safe with the main games? Fine. Give me another spiritual sequel to Advance with a selection of characters to play as..

So please, do not say this is bitching. It's a legitimate feeling of disdain to handling of the series.

EDIT: So many errors and so little clarity.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 8

See, you sort of gave yourself an answer right here. For so many years (1994 through to 2007, that's 13 years encompassing some of the best and worst games of the series) Sonic games had a wide cast of supporting characters, who played important roles not only in the gameplay and plots, but also in keeping fans interested. SEGA did some really stupid things with them time and time again varying from having so many characters at once to making them play terribly, though the important thing is the characters themselves were such a big part for so long. Now that they've been reduced to a pack of cheerleaders (and might I add, they're more like flag girls save for Tails) many fans are perfectly entitled to feel alienated and upset by this drastic change. It's not like SEGA have just reigned them all in, they've practically culled an important part of the series.

Unleashed was refreshing, but now I feel like it's been going on for far too long. And I really see no reason to make lesser versions of the main series titles (Unleashed Wii, Colours DS, Generations 3DS), rather than a less focused side series that does things differently (Advance, Rush). It's only limiting in my eyes. They still want to play it safe with the main games? Fine. Give me another spiritual sequel to Advance with a selection of characters to play as..

So please, do not say this is bitching. It's a legitimate feeling of disdain to handling of the series.

EDIT: So many errors and so little clarity.

Thing is, I perfectly understand that; I want the characters to return too, and I think Sega's just being pushovers in not wanting to at least try. But alternately, I don't think the series is going to get 06 levels of bad if they're not immediately in every game, as if they have to play a role or do something, it's probably that type of thinking that had Sega handle them so poorly in the first place. They're not obligated to use these characters, and I kind of get irked when people treat it as some type of unholy sin when they aren't around for a game or two, especially when the character they happen to be defending never had a major or important role to begin with.

The fact that in Sonic '06 Sonic chooses Shadow and Silver to help him take down Solaris (so many freekin S's). What about Knuckles and Tails? Choosing Shadow makes perfect sense but Silver?!? Why did he only bring two friends? Also in one timeline Rouge has to live out her life and die without seeing her best friends ever again, while Shadow and Omega travel back to a different timeline and a different Rouge. That's pretty messed up. Another peeve is that Tails, Knuckles and Blaze disappear and reappear in Sonic and Silver's Stories at random without explanation, for example when Sonic returns from Kingdom Valley he travels to Aquatic Base alone, yet Tails and Knuckles seem to already be there. And why are the main cast bar Cream, Team Chaotix and Metal Sonic all in Soleanna at the same time? God that effing game! :L

The fact that in Sonic '06 Sonic chooses Shadow and Silver to help him take down Solaris (so many freekin S's). What about Knuckles and Tails? Choosing Shadow makes perfect sense but Silver?!? Why did he only bring two friends? Also in one timeline Rouge has to live out her life and die without seeing her best friends ever again, while Shadow and Omega travel back to a different timeline and a different Rouge. That's pretty messed up. Another peeve is that Tails, Knuckles and Blaze disappear and reappear in Sonic and Silver's Stories at random without explanation, for example when Sonic returns from Kingdom Valley he travels to Aquatic Base alone, yet Tails and Knuckles seem to already be there. And why are the main cast bar Cream, Team Chaotix and Metal Sonic all in Soleanna at the same time? God that effing game! :L

It's 06 dude. That's all I can say. It's 06.Don't try and find a answer.

They needed to destroy Solaris in the past, present, and future simultaneously. So they needed a guy troubled by his past, a guy who lives for the present, and a guy who came from the future.

It makes perfect sense just as long as you never think about it.

This actually does make sense when you do think about it, go figure

They needed to destroy Solaris in the past, present, and future simultaneously. So they needed a guy troubled by his past, a guy who lives for the present, and a guy who came from the future.

It makes perfect sense just as long as you never think about it.

Hm, this is certainly putting more thought into the matter than Sonic Team ever did at the time.

This actually does make sense when you do think about it, go figure
Except that "in the past, present, and future simultaneously" is nonsense and that there's no need for the heroes to have any association with what time period they're fighting in beyond symbolism.

Hm, this is certainly putting more thought into the matter than Sonic Team ever did at the time.
I think it's actually mentioned in game, at least the part about needing to destroy Solaris in multiple time periods. And I could believe they were intentionally going for the past/present/future, Shadow/Sonic/Silver thing, even if they didn't articulate it very well.

The fact that in Sonic '06 Sonic chooses Shadow and Silver to help him take down Solaris (so many freekin S's). What about Knuckles and Tails? Choosing Shadow makes perfect sense but Silver?!? Why did he only bring two friends?

Probably because they were the two other main characters of the game besides Sonic?

Probably because of the symbolism of the story; Shadow's the oldest and made in the past, Sonic is the character we play in present day, and Silver existed in the future? The exact points in time that Solaris existed simultaneously?

Of course nothing stop the game from being so poor regardless of what it does.

Probably because they were the two other main characters of the game besides Sonic?

Probably because of the symbolism of the story; Shadow's the oldest and made in the past, Sonic is the character we play in present day, and Silver existed in the future? The exact points in time that Solaris existed simultaneously?

Of course nothing stop the game from being so poor regardless of what it does.

Well it only makes sense in the context of that one specific game and not the series at large. Okay, so Shadow works. But Silver? Puh-lease.

Also, those were the only ones that could go super.

...besides Knux and Tails, but I don't even think that's canon anymore, or ever was.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unless you count Heroes which would be streching it.

Internally, the game files refer to Knuckles and Tails as Super. But that's not the be all and end all of confirmation.

For all intents and purposes, though, Tails and Knux might as well have been in their Super Forms in Heroes. They certainly look more flashy than how they appeared in Sonic 3.

Iizuka said that Super Tails was a one-time thing for Sonic 3 and Knuckles, so he at least didn't go super in Heroes.

Guys, the real reason Sonic went to Shadow & Silver is obvious, especially if you apply DBZ logic: Hedgehogs>Everyone else. Tails & Knuckles aren't hedgehogs, so obviously they weren't special enough like Shadow & Silver were.

• Thumbs Up 3

Guys, the real reason Sonic went to Shadow & Silver is obvious, especially if you apply DBZ logic: Hedgehogs>Everyone else. Tails & Knuckles aren't hedgehogs, so obviously they weren't special enough like Shadow & Silver were.

I've often maintained that SEGA desperately wishes that they could retcon Amy into being another species, since she doesn't fit into the "All-Powerful Hedgehog Master Race" like Sonic, Shadow, Silver, and kinda Metal Sonic do.

Also, here's another pet-peeve, somewhat related: Knuckles having Shadow's powers would make a million times more sense. I STILL don't get why Shadow has a connection to the Chaos Emeralds and Knuckles doesn't, beyond being able to stop them with the Master Emerald (which may or may not be a unique ability, since Tikal does the same thing and we don't know that she's the Master Emerald Guardian from back then).

Edited by HyperMetalWario

I've often maintained that SEGA desperately wishes that they could retcon Amy into being another species, since she doesn't fit into the "All-Powerful Hedgehog Master Race" like Sonic, Shadow, Silver, and kinda Metal Sonic do.

Also, here's another pet-peeve, somewhat related: Knuckles having Shadow's powers would make a million times more sense. I STILL don't get why Shadow has a connection to the Chaos Emeralds and Knuckles doesn't, beyond being able to stop them with the Master Emerald (which may or may not be a unique ability, since Tikal does the same thing and we don't know that she's the Master Emerald Guardian from back then).

Knuckles already has maybe the strongest base strength compared to the rest of the cast. Adding on Chaos Abilities wouldn't balance him out so well...

Well Amy's already a girl so.....yeah, I don't think I need to explain it.

Well Chaos powers weren't really introduced until Shadow's debut, but Knuckles having a closer connection does make more sense.

Knuckles already has maybe the strongest base strength compared to the rest of the cast. Adding on Chaos Abilities wouldn't balance him out so well...

:|

Shadow is immortal, can fly with his shoes/Chaos Control, has enough strength to flip busses, can fire lightning from his hands, can go super, and can use Chaos Control to instantly outspeed the fastest character in the franchise.

Silver can travel through time, fly (and keep up with/outspeed Sonic while doing so), has psychokinesis, can go super, can use Chaos Control, and is also capable of dead-stopping Sonic mid-homing attack.

Metal Sonic, in addition to all of Sonic's abilities, minus Super Sonic, can fly, outspeed Sonic in short bursts, turn into a dragon, copy any other character's abilites (although this ability has *thankfully* been downplayed lately), use Chaos Control, become invincible with the use of the Black Shield, probably has super strength from being a robot, and can be rebuilt upon death.

Knuckles has his strength and can glide.

Now tell me about balance. Anyway, I'm not suggesting that they add on Chaos abilities, as they're broken and pretty much the bane of the continuity. Knuckles just needs more powers that sets him apart as the Master Emerald's caretaker. He's sat next to the damn thing his whole life, you'd think he'd get SOME power from it.

EDIT: New pet peeve, Sonic isn't the fastest anymore.

Edited by HyperMetalWario

Well it only makes sense in the context of that one specific game and not the series at large. Okay, so Shadow works. But Silver? Puh-lease.

That was kinda the point on the first part.