Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Pet Peeve: The entirety of Sonic 2006's plot. Every single thing about it was so poorly executed, it's embarrassing that they thought it was even remotely acceptable.

Well, yeah. But the fact that utter clusterfuck of a plot was thought up to begin with and then approved-of is enough of a peeve.

Though I've always wondered myself if the reason as to why it was retconned and written out of continuity was because Sonic Team realized the mess they came up with and decided to conveniently press the reset button. If this really is so, then it proves how insane '06's story is even more because even the writers/creators disowned it.

Sonic '06 totally did happen:

Sonic went to the Sun Festival. He had a decent time there, as nobody bothered to cause a ruckus. While there, he received word that Eggman's assembled a space armada, so he grabbed the Chaos Emeralds and hauled ass up there. Then, Unleashed happened.

Simple, no?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic '06 totally did happen:

Sonic went to the Sun Festival. He had a decent time there, as nobody bothered to cause a ruckus. While there, he received word that Eggman's assembled a space armada, so he grabbed the Chaos Emeralds and hauled ass up there. Then, Unleashed happened.

Simple, no?

Doesn't SatSR chronologically happen after '06's Sun Festival and before Unleashed?

Doesn't SatSR chronologically happen after '06's Sun Festival and before Unleashed?

Well, there's nothing in the story that states that Secret Rings couldn't happen before the Sun Festival. It'd make a little more sense, really, considering what went down in that game.

Well, there's nothing in the story that states that Secret Rings couldn't happen before the Sun Festival. It'd make a little more sense, really, considering what went down in that game.

As Iizuka said at Sonic Boom, try not to think too hard about the chronology of the series. Unless it's explicitly stated otherwise, there's no reason to think that the games happen in any order other than the order they were released in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic and the Secret Rings is a spin-off and has been confirmed to take place outside the main canon. I don't think the throwaway line about the game in Generations counts for much.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is a spin-off and has been confirmed to take place outside the main canon. I don't think the throwaway line about the game in Generations counts for much.

I'm... pretty sure it counts for everything actually. If Secret Rings was non-canon and never happened in the main canon, why would Sonic say that? Sure Generations has a ton of plotholes but Sonic saying that seems pretty solid to me.

Where was this confirmation exactly?

For the record I think SatSR can more or less fit in anywhere, and considering nothing happened at the Sun Festival I don't see why it couldn't occur before or after.

Edited by JezMM

Where was this confirmation exactly?

NO.

Don't tempt it.

Or Kevin will have to step in and be dragged through the hedge. Again.

See I thought it of Kevin's post but then I thought "no we already had this discussion a few months back, maybe he has a different confirmation".

a recent pet peeve i've just realized is when SEGA throws rehashes of Green Hill whenever they can, but when we have an opportunity to request other level realizations... people still say "Oh! how about Green Hill?"

As if we don't get enough of that level as it is...

• Thumbs Up 2

A big peeve of mine is when people try to say that the Storybook games aren't canon.

Black Knight, however, is canonically NOT canon, as, if what I've been led to believe is correct, it's all a story that Sonic made up to get out of trouble with Amy. But he could've been telling the truth. :V

Yeah the immortal guy is frail. Here's a list of all the times that Shadow has been frail:

He was in Battle if you wanna go there.

Except that Knuckles has slowed down significantly (or Sonic has gotten faster, whichever) since S3&K, and there are more factors at play than speed, strength, and endurance. Like the fact that Shadow can teleport and throw energy spears.

That doesn't change the fact that his strength and probably his endurance pale in comparison to Knuckles.

Except that they give Shadow all of Sonic's abilities as well as his own unique abilities. What does Sonic have over Shadow, besides being the hero?

Nothing really, but then again he's never really needed anything over him to be equal.

The fact that it was a poorly conceived ploy to make Shadow more badass does not change that it was added to his character.

For those games only, it's not something long lasting nor recurring for him to do such things.

He could hover quite a bit higher while shooting in ShtH. He also used them as an attack in Battle. They're an underused tool, but that's different from being useless.

Well unless they're as consistent as his Chaos powers, I don't really think it count, but whatever.

And yet Sonic doesn't matter at all, beyond being a stepping stone. He doesn't even have a health bar.

Hence why I said it's a poorly structured boss fight with him.

No shit, it's almost like the fight is rigged to make the characters look equal, even though they aren't.

Oh cut the bullshit, Shadow still uses every other power he has and the boss fight is still even until one of them gets a power core. There's no rigging about it.

Do you want me to make a list?

The fact that you used a smiley scares me, regardless I was talking in regards to the boss fight.

• Thumbs Up 3

The plot to Sonic 06 kind of seems like a knock off of Chrono Trigger. Destroyed future, flaming evil thing, princess with an important pendant, they even have a robot waiting for a few hundred years with a green thing inside of it.

He was in Battle if you wanna go there.
Edited by Phos

This too, I mean, in 10 years are people gonna be going: "Oh man, Sonic's 30 now, he's getting up there but he still looks young."?

When you play as him he's both faster and stronger than Sonic. It's kinda funny how this game made no pretensions at being balanced, Shadow's moves and attributes are almost always the most expensive to equip.

About the talk about the storybook games canonicity a while back:

What ultimately consitutes as a series "true" canon is what the people behind the series says is canon. And since Sega has never confirmed anything about which games "count" or "doesn't count" i think the best thing to do for us fans is just to accept that they all count. All of these fan theories based on things like "but that game cant be canon because it contradicts that other game" is really just that; fan theories, no matter how much sense they make.

Edited by batson

i think the best thing to do for us fans is just to accept that they all count.

Except Knuckles Chaotix.

Other people's pet peeve; Me bringing this up time and time again.

A big peeve of mine is when people try to say that the Storybook games aren't canon.

Black Knight, however, is canonically NOT canon, as, if what I've been led to believe is correct, it's all a story that Sonic made up to get out of trouble with Amy. But he could've been telling the truth. :V

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay, picture this; You wrote a Sonic fanfic, okay? But it's primarily fan character-based. However, you know the unwritten rules of fan character creation and fan fic writing and you don't make these characters Mary Sues that can out-run Sonic. You post two stories in this saga you are writing and don't get many reviews. You don't care much, you just keep writing.

Flash to today. You have posted most of the third story so far. You have just woken up this morning and find a review to your story. You're happy to find this out - until you find the reviewer NEVER READ IT and is just, get this, reviewing it 'by the cover'.

Now you have a giant headache and want to pound some sense into this person.

I'm not going to lie; I would rather have gotten a full-on FLAME from someone who DID read my fanfic instead of the crap I got instead.

And that is my pet peeve of the day - reviewing fanfics without reading them.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

I wouldn't write a fan-character based fanfic anyway since I feel that's missing the entire appeal of it, so I can't really picture it.

That said, I wouldn't go looking for them either to just bash on, so that guy's a dolt anyway.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't write a fan-character based fanfic anyway since I feel that's missing the entire appeal of it, so I can't really picture it.

That said, I wouldn't go looking for them either to just bash on, so that guy's a dolt anyway.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

....It's not just that he didn't read it. If he didn't read it, that's fine. But normally, if you don't read something, you don't leave a review on it, right? He, on the other hand did and not only was the review unable to help me improve at all, but it was, as a friend of mine called it, 'obnoxious, self-important drivel'.

In other words, if you're going to review a fanfic, or any story really, read it, and don't be all conceited and such.

That was my problem.