Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Track Roster Thread

Cortez

First, it's Seaside Hill as now we've got boats and cars it makes sense. It's a whole new track BTW. With regards to the box art comments, we actually (correctly) told you that it didn't mean it was or wasn't in the game. You know the rules, we can't confirm or deny anything not already in the game until SEGA themselves do so.

The Samba track is also all new, one of the 16 new tracks so therefore qualifies for land, air and sea play as fits.

There is only one Classic Track left to reveal I believe, which returns from the previous game, all the rest (and all the ones in the trailer) are new ones :P

---

S0L

---

As Blue Blood has said, there a plenty of other stages that could've done land and water. I really don't understand why SSH of all things was chosen again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Seaside Hill is a new track, humm, I bited my tongue a little. But hey, thinking about it. Starlight Carnival track = modern, Seaside Hill track = adventure. Sumo, you know what to do, the Mega Drive's Sonics deserve it too biggrin.png

Edited by Jango

First, it's Seaside Hill as now we've got boats and cars it makes sense. It's a whole new track BTW. With regards to the box art comments, we actually (correctly) told you that it didn't mean it was or wasn't in the game. You know the rules, we can't confirm or deny anything not already in the game until SEGA themselves do so.

---

S0L

---

Hi Sol,

Quick question, the Sonic franchise has loads of stages with water in, I think a lot of people would have loved to have seen Hydrocity or Aquatic Ruin, both of which would also have lent themselves very well to land and water gameplay. So was the decision to include sea-side hill again just down to the fact "it worked" or did the fact you had re-usable assets for it also play a significant part in the decision?

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 2

*sigh*

There's just so many other stages that would have made sense. And the boxart comment was just plain misleading. Seaside Hill being on the box was confirmation of it being in the game as we all (correctly) assumed, and we were then told "well actually, maybe it's not...". So you know, it's all perfectly fair game on our end.

But alas. It's just one stage in a game that's otherwise looking fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would have chosen Emerald Coast if a Sonic beach stage was needed. It also happens to fall into the Dreamcast era just like Seaside Hill (because Generations). I'm guessing Seaside Hill being picked has more to do with the HD assets already existing. There's already effort being poured into Starlight Carnival and a probable classic level besides the Death Egg.

Edited by Toothpaste

Hi Sol,

Quick question, the Sonic franchise has loads of stages with water in, I think a lot of people would have loved to have seen Hydrocity or Aquatic Ruin, both of which would also have lent themselves very well to land and water gameplay. So was the decision to include sea-side hill again just down to the fact "it worked" or did the fact you had re-usable assets for it also play a significant part in the decision?

Thanks!

Sort of. We built a whole Seaside Hill track in pre-production as it was deemed a safe track to use, mostly as we were still in the process of locking down what IP's and tracks would be in the final game at that time.

The prototype track was pretty much finished... But due to lessons learned in the making of it, wasn't as much fun as it could be. At that point you're faced with living with it or tearing it to pieces and doing it over. We opted for the latter. However, since we'd generated a load of new art work (effectively a next-gen version of Seaside Hill, very different to anything in ASR) we didn't want to bin all that work, so we decided to re-use models and textures from the level in the construction of a new one.

I know a lot of you want to see other locations, but Seaside Hill or Green Hill are exactly what non-SEGA fans see as being iconically Sonic and SEGA. You will always have something that had to represent that aspect in a multi-IP title. Many of the other locations you mention are lovely cool environments, but with the variety we're aiming for, we've already got things covered in those kind of level tropes.

It's as much about making sure there is variety across the whole range of SEGA game references as it is about the referencing of Sonic. I'll remind you again this is not a purely Sonic based title :)

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh boy, Starlight Carnival AND After Burner in one day? That's just too much, Sumo. <3

I suppose Seaside Hill is okay, but I think Emerald Coast or Emerald Hill might have been just as good. That's just my thoughts, though.

But there's hope for an ice level, like Ice Cap? I didn't saw any ice trope so far, and Ice Cap would be great to represent the Mega Drive era of Sonic.

Starlight Carnival as a track is great, even in colors the majority of the time SC felt like it would've been more fun as a multiplayer racer.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not gonna lie that the seaside hill level reveal, as an allnew stage really sucks. Kind of a missed opportunity there S0L. You are doing such a great job and while perfection seems to be so close, this feels like you guys just forgot about the last mile. It would have been great if we got a classic stage reveal instead *sigh

Both versions are exactly the same, bar the name.

The exclusive OutRun Bay track contains all the standard race modes found inSonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, plus challenges and time trials specific to the track. This time though, the whole race is transformed as you get to speed across the gorgeous shimmering blue ocean as well as the roads in a spectacular level inspired by SEGA’s classic arcade racer OutRun. Sonic the Hedgehog’s popular rival Metal Sonic explodes on to the tracks in the exclusive Metal Sonic Mod Pack in the Limited Edition of the game, this prototype levitation vehicle was crafted purely to race – and race it must! In addition to the track and character, an Emoticon Sticker Pack can also be found in the Limited Edition. These collectables are found throughout the game and are given as rewards for skilful play, high scores and more.

I thought that was an additional feature in the EU one; maybe I'm wrong.

I loved the whole thing! I loved the trailer and the reveals that came with it! But I am very disappointed with Seaside Hill returning. I mean i thought they said the new Sonic stages wouldn't be from Sonic heroes. I mean I swear I'm really getting tired of the stage. But, We got Starlight Carnival so I'm more happy than disappointed.

But there's hope for an ice level, like Ice Cap? I didn't saw any ice trope so far, and Ice Cap would be great to represent the Mega Drive era of Sonic.

Pffft, Ice Cap?

You'll get Cool Edge and like it mister! >:U

• Thumbs Up 4

Best be adding these new stages:

Seaside Hill - Sonic Heroes

Starlight Carnival - Sonic Colors

After Burner

Skies of Arcadia

Movie Studio - Samba de Amigo

S0L has confirmed that the Heroes and Samba track are new, not returning.

Pffft, Ice Cap?

You'll get Cool Edge and like it mister! >:U

I don't quite mind if mr. Jacques remix the Ice Cap music for it *--*

Also, to Prof J:

You should probably note that the OutRun track is a bonus, so it does not count towards the 16 new and 4 returning.

So right now we have:

10 of the 16 new tracks revealed

1 of the ??? new DLC tracks revealed

3 of the 4 returning tracks revealed

7 more tracks to reveal, not including any DLC we may see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sort of. We built a whole Seaside Hill track in pre-production as it was deemed a safe track to use, mostly as we were still in the process of locking down what IP's and tracks would be in the final game at that time.

The prototype track was pretty much finished... But due to lessons learned in the making of it, wasn't as much fun as it could be. At that point you're faced with living with it or tearing it to pieces and doing it over. We opted for the latter. However, since we'd generated a load of new art work (effectively a next-gen version of Seaside Hill, very different to anything in ASR) we didn't want to bin all that work, so we decided to re-use models and textures from the level in the construction of a new one.

I know a lot of you want to see other locations, but Seaside Hill or Green Hill are exactly what non-SEGA fans see as being iconically Sonic and SEGA. You will always have something that had to represent that aspect in a multi-IP title. Many of the other locations you mention are lovely cool environments, but with the variety we're aiming for, we've already got things covered in those kind of level tropes.

It's as much about making sure there is variety across the whole range of SEGA game references as it is about the referencing of Sonic. I'll remind you again this is not a purely Sonic based title smile.png

---

S0L

---

Thanks for that Sol, an awesome insight into the development process!

In defence of the fanbase, I'll just address this bit: "It's as much about making sure there is variety across the whole range of SEGA game references as it is about the referencing of Sonic. I'll remind you again this is not a purely Sonic based title" as I really don't want you thinking we're a whinging, entitled bunch!

The fanbase absolutely 100% acknowledges that the game is all about sega, we fully know and support that there can only be a limited amount of Sonic, and that's the reason some are upset that this bit of Sonic representation that is there, has already been represented in the first Sonic and Sega Racing aswell as Generations. No-one is saying they want Hyrdocity AND Seaside Hill, I think they'd ditch the latter for the former, so it's not about MORE SONIC it's about different sonic from last time. Although given what you've said here, including seaside hill again was the sensible choice and one I think anyone can understand, personal preference aside. Looking forward to see'ing what stages you guys have planned that cover the hydrocity tropes! I certainly won't let the fact that Id rather see more representation of pre-millennium Sonic games distract from what's looking to be another incredible title. Keep up the great work Sol and everyone at Sumo.