Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

First, I'll say almost every worry I had was taken away when it was pointed out that they're in humanoid form at the start of the race.

The only "problem" I have might relate to the footage quality, or how the similar transformations in the games were compared to NiGHTS normally if trying to be accurate, but I always saw NiGHTS as rather bendy and flexible, while the vehicles in the footage we can see seem... well, like vehicles.

It makes sense, to be honest, but I hope when we can see clearly there's a bit more life than what I am thinking, kinda like Opa Opa with wings and such moving for animations beyond blinking eyes, like a less creepy version of that gif in this topic. Not sure if that's possible with the engine when most vehicles aren't... "alive" like their drivers though.

Oh, and I also understand but am a little sad the loop things don't seem to "close" when you fly through them, even if they were to just reopen, since it otherwise looks like you're flying through a NiGHTS level in a 3D view. Might be a testament to the quality that I keep expecting it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Im shocked by the news, lemme tell you Im very happy to see NiGHTS and Reala playable!! and Oh Gawd that stage is so gorgeous *w*

I have to admit Id much prefer to see NiGHTs in his/her original forme, than a silly looking plane/car but NiGHTS thing IS transforming! and knowing Ill see Nights normally in the beggining, end animation and all-star move is awesome enough for me!! I also love reala...but seeing its practically the same aesthetic thing and that its probably only gonna have a different all-star move, I sorta feel hes taking an important character slot...ah heck, I still love Reala so I cant be mad at that.

THANK YOU SUMO! Now just give me Vectorman or Ristar and my dream roster is complete!

Now I got more than enough awesome characters to pick! even if there was a large variety last time when it came to pick characters it was like "hmmm Sonic is already picked ...lets see... er...Beat I think...or OpaOpa". Now I have Vyse, NiGHTS, Reala, Gillius, Joe Musashi so many choices!

I'm taking a break from my constant Altered Beast hopes to suggest a racer from the Oasis series. It has had a somewhat lengthy legacy, with games spanning Genesis, Game Gear, and Saturn (Beyond, Defenders of, and Legend of). I've never played any of the games, myself (something that may change in the near future), but it seems like a series that would be unexpected, and could be rife for creativity in Transformed.

Edited by Wonks

After getting back in the PSO series with Phantasy Star Online 2, I'd love to see it get some representation. Considering that it's not out in the West until 2013 makes it rather unlikely though. Perhaps a racer or track from the first PSO would work then, or something from the original Phantasy Star series.

Edited by Lungo

I think it's a testament to the excellent car designs in this game that there are people who'd rather see NiGHTS driving a car. Indeed, I'm one of them. I'd have loved to see what sort of awesome designs they'd come up with.

I don't believe the fact that they *are* NiGHTS and Reala has hampered the design of the vehicles! Personally I love the way they look. This unique feature of these characters is what differentiates them from all the other vehicles! ...but each to their own! "vive la différence"

As I said earlier if anyone doesn't like them enough, there are lots of other racers to choose from... I'm sure that ultimately everyone will develop their favourites based on different reasons than seem apparent now, like handling type ...etc.

Oh and just for the record, for those that mentioned it, Reala was decided at the same time as NiGHTS and isn't really a recent addidtion. We didn't even know about the recent announcement about NiGHTS HD until you guys did, basically.

OK, seriously? What kind of bullshit reply is this?

I didn't think it was bullshit tbh. I was saying that if you dislike NiGHTS as a car enough that it offends you, then there are plenty of other choices in the game. Choose one you do like.

But if you don't like my reply then suit yourself on that front too. I will survive fella. smile.png

Edited by SumoRex

I can't be the only one hoping for some Valkyria Chronicles representation right? RIGHT?!

You know, we are allowed to disagree with you sometimes, I suspect though it's mostly down to some frustration that we got harangued like hell last time as NiGHTS wasn't playable, we make it happen (and add a track and Reala) only to get the same annoying 'Why is Sonic in a car/Why is NiGHTS the car' style questions smile.png

Anyway...

The truth is when we made the choice to have them in, they were always going to be the vehicles. It goes back to the core of the characters (that they can be anything they like) and this is the same view SEGA had too.

We went the Pian/Guardle route as drivers as you can bet no matter which set of kids we picked it'd be the wrong ones. We put Nights into Dreams ones in, people would want Journey of Dreams ones and vice versa.

Plus with those, when we do transformations / start line / end anims - those characters are much easier to deal with, kids can't fly for a start smile.png

Bear in mind we're just as human as you though so sometimes the comments make us just as mad as our design choices confuse and annoy you wink.png

---

S0L

---

Ah Did it sound like I was mad at the guy? I'm ok with peoples choices/preferences. On re-reading I see it sounds like I might have been saying *play another game*. I was just saying choose a different character. One he does like. If he likes NiGHTS enough he'll play them *as* the vehicle, and find a way to move beyond his personal like/dislike...

Still hoping for Toejam and Earl to make an appearance. Maybe Sketch Turner from Comix Zone as well.

People seem to be forgetting the allstar move. Pretty sure Sumo stated that the asm is NiGHTS in his/her's original form. So want a pure NiGHTS? Drive well, initiate asm and enjoy!

That *is* the current ASM. I still believe that the Character *as* the vehicle is the most unique and interesting feature of these guys. You still get to see them as the character at the start of the race and during ASM. I dunno what the fuss is about if I'm honest. It's absolutely spot on with the series (See NiGHTS as a large flying snake and fish) It makes more sense for a dream dweller to transform into the vehicle than to have one. And the IP holder agrees, as he's been overseeing the designs quite heavily.

I had the opportunity to praise Sol and SumoRex wink.png

Not so. S0L was with Tim, AKA *SumoSpartan* for SoS.

• Thumbs Up 2

And the IP holder agrees, as he's been overseeing the designs quite heavily.

• Thumbs Up 3

My wants:

Blaze and Rouge duo car: They would fit in excellently. They are also another female. They would have funny moments as Rouge tries to grab Blaze's jewels.

My wants:

Blaze and Rouge duo car: They would fit in excellently. They are also another female. They would have funny moments as Rouge tries to grab Blaze's jewels.

• Thumbs Up 3

My wants:

... Grab her jewels?

• Thumbs Up 2

If you're going to have duos in the game at least have pairs that make sense. There is no reason for any Sonic character to be part of a duo in this game. You can't just shove two characters together because they're both girls or because you have a shipping fantasy of them being together (like an earlier suggestion of Shadow + Rouge in the same car). That's just stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're going to have duos in the game at least have pairs that make sense. There is no reason for any Sonic character to be part of a duo in this game. You can't just shove two characters together because they're both girls or because you have a shipping fantasy of them being together (like an earlier suggestion of Shadow + Rouge in the same car). That's just stupid.

Suddenly, Bean and Bark will be announced.

... Grab her jewels?

I meant her necklace, sir. Also, [[-link removed- a new Sonic fourm has opened]].

Edited by ^DiZnEy^

Why Rouge and Blaze? I think they should be their own characters. In fact, drop Rouge and just keep Blaze.

Edited by ^DiZnEy^

I'm not sure advertising other forums is allowed.

Why Rouge and Blaze? I think they should be their own characters. In fact, drop Rouge and just keep Blaze.

I dunno, Rouge is a pretty cool character too, why not drop Blaze and keep Rouge :U

Though I'd be fine if both were dropped for the sake of Cream or the Chaotix

Edited by Cero

Rouge, Blaze and Big are the only Sonic characters I want to see. And I don't mean all three of them, I mean any ONE of just those three. Three more Sonic characters would be too much.

Edited by PsychoJosh

Chaotix could be in one car.

The Chaoticar.

All Star Move they jam out!

The Chaoticar...

It so surprisingly catchy...

I don't really understand how this would work, seeing as I don't think these two have ever interacted at any point in the series. Putting them together just because they're females is a bit farfetch'd don't you think?

Women go to the bathroom together, so it makes perfect sense.

Actually... I really like that' date=' but it wouldn't really happen purely for various boring licensing reasons![/quote']

I see! Man, tell me about it, I'm all about boring licensing issues, I know how it is... xD I'm glad you liked the idea though at least!

(on a slightly more 'boring' note, I was unaware that Miis/Avatars/Home User Characters had to be licensed-- Avatars at least are freely usable in Xbox 360 Indie Games, so I just assumed...!)

I meant her necklace, sir. Also, [[-link removed- a new Sonic fourm has opened]].

You may only advertise content such as other forums in your profile or signature. ;)