Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

I'm sorry but all I can say is I don't like the look of Nights characters. But it doesn't really matter cause Ive got Shadow, Sonic, Eggman and others (and hopefully some new Sonic character/s).

Edited by ArtFenix

jeez... some people are only happy when they're miserable. NiGHTs is playable in the game. You get to play them the whole time. What did you want? NiGHTs *IN* a car? That would make no sense whatsoever. The fact that NiGHTs can transform is the strength and very essence of the chartacter!

Yes.

Maybe you could simply play something else if you don't like it?

OK, seriously? What kind of bullshit reply is this?

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have to say that I'm one of those who would have prefered NiGHTS in his/her normal form driving a vehicle, just because I love his normal appearance and design, a big eye jester like creature. They could have came up with a pretty original vehicle design. Anyway I have to say that I appreciate their effort to create a unique feeling for this game, and this original choice will be more appreciated when seen in action. There's always DLC though. They did a similiar thing with Ryo in the last game, so I'm pushing normal NiGHTS (and why not, normal Reala) for DLC. Nothing to say about the stage though, it is one of the best level design I have ever seen, i had goosebumps at SoS after seeing the reveal, and I had the opportunity to praise Sol and SumoRex ;)

You know, we are allowed to disagree with you sometimes, I suspect though it's mostly down to some frustration that we got harangued like hell last time as NiGHTS wasn't playable, we make it happen (and add a track and Reala) only to get the same annoying 'Why is Sonic in a car/Why is NiGHTS the car' style questions smile.png

I do realize that and I'm ok with that. That doesn't change the fact that telling me to just go play something else because I'm not happy about a few things is stupid. I think the game looks great and really want it. I'm not happy about NiGHTS being the way he is, but I'll get over it.

Plus with those, when we do transformations / start line / end anims - those characters are much easier to deal with, kids can't fly for a start smile.png

By the way, this isn't totally true :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvLdIylY40

The same happens in JOD. But that isn't that big of a deal. I would've preferred the kids, but I like the Nightopians.

Man, NiGHTS and Reala look fantastic! I expected NiGHTS honestly, especially after last time, but I didn't see Reala coming at all! I'm cool with the Pian/Guardle drivers, they're neat, and I was totally expecting NiGHTS to be the vehicle too, so that's not an issue for me at all.

(On a 'Sumo please don't hate me' note, It would've been/would be a totally badass little feature if your Xbox 360 Avatar/Mii/PS-Home Character could've been the driver of NiGHTS/Reala. But then you'd have people complaining about NiGHTS being the Avacar... Alas...)

Welp, Eagerly awaiting ALL of the news from this game! Especially the Jet Set Radio related stuff... like the music that Richard Jacques cooked up for Graffiti City...! All of my want! Although people clawing for information can be simply annoying, of course, so I can wait! When this releases, it's totally gonna be the best racing game ever, by the way.

Edited by Travcodad

I believe the problem about Nights is not that he/she's a vehicle, rather that said vehicle has dull and uninspiring design. It really looks like recolored Sonic's or Shadow's plane form.

Edited by ArtFenix

Oh, so they're vehicles eh? I don't now why almost everyone is up in arms about this! If they say their vehicle forms have the character of NiGHTS and Reala, then I'm sure they will once we see some hi-def images. Also if there's a vehicle form anything like THAT gif, or All Star move, that. Would. Be. Hilarious!

So to recap the last page of discussion.

wjj66x.jpg

Honestly, as weirded out as I was at first, I think it's a really neat way to capitalize on that aspect of the character. It's actually really creative. I get people wanting normal NiGHTS, but this is a pretty cool idea itself.

• Thumbs Up 4

NiGHTS as a vehicle is hilarious. The problem people have no doubt is that NiGHTS is less magical in this form. They wanted a spinning jester but they got a floppy inflatable toy instead. I'll enjoy the heck outta this though.

S0L, Sumo, I really like what I see here with NiGHTS. Them being the car is a brilliant idea, and I'm sure once we get a clearer look at the transformation designs, people will warm up to them. I suppose I can understand the backlash, since when people were expecting NiGHTS, they wanted to see NiGHTS in his original humanoid form. But hey, this is more creative and true to the character than putting him in a vehicle! At least, that's what I think. I imagine NiGHTS' "true" form shows up in the All Star Move, character select screen and starting line, anyway. :)

Also, are Reala's transformation's shapes and All Stars Move different from NiGHTS?

I believe the problem about Nights is not that he/she's a vehicle, rather that said vehicle has dull and uninspiring design. It really looks like recolored Sonic's or Shadow's plane form.

I've yet to see NiGHTS, Reala or the NiGHTS-inspired track- I'm spoiling as little of the game as is physically possible. So that there certainly isn't my problem. And in saying that, the problem isn't very big either. I don't like the idea of them being the vehicles because it feels less like you're playing as them really. But we'll see. I'm sure I'll like it much more in reality than concept.

Also, I still think that adding Reala was a fantastic idea. I don't care if that slot could have been used by a different IP as some would argue, the NiGHTS series has two very, very prominent characters and it's nice to have them appear together.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

Bah, off to the pub anyway wink.png

Filled up your All-Star meter eh?

</in-joke for SoS visitors/viewers 8D>

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't know why, but for some reason, I really want Reala's spinout animation to be him popping back into his Jester form, and comedically slapping the Goodle for letting it happen. I just really like to imagine a Dick Dastardly and Muttley mechanic going on between the two, I suppose. tongue.png

Edited by Mykonos
  • Thumbs Up 5

People seem to be forgetting the allstar move. Pretty sure Sumo stated that the asm is NiGHTS in his/her's original form. So want a pure NiGHTS? Drive well, initiate asm and enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't you have to drive BADLY to initiate ASMs? At least, I never got one in the lead in the original ASR. :/

Yes, you don't get ASMs from item boxes anymore. Instead you have to fill up an all-star meter by collecting stars around the track or meeting specific requirements (getting the pole position, getting a max level boost, etc.)

People closer to the rear build up their all-star meters faster.

The way Sumo went about this was pretty good actually, NiGHTS has always had the ability to transform. He even transformed into a sled in Frozen Bell.

The way Sumo went about this was pretty good actually, NiGHTS has always had the ability to transform. He even transformed into a sled in Frozen Bell.

And even grew a fish tail and became a Mer-NiGHTS briefly in the underwater section of Splash Garden.

What is wrong with you people? Not wanting NiGHTS to transform in a game designed around the concept of transforming? If Vectorman gets confirmed and transforms are you going to complain about that? Not having NiGHTS perform one of his characteristic moves in a game that is perfect for it would be a disgrace to the character. If you honestly thought NiGHTS was going to be in this game and not transform, then you probably didn't even know who NiGHTS really was.

• Thumbs Up 2

I figured since Sonic wasn't on foot that meant that everyone had to drive a car instead of being their own car.

That would include Vectorman. But I guess he's going to be his own car if he's in. Which is fine.

If anything it should be flattering to the design team that people want to see these characters in cars because that's how excellent their car designs are.

• Thumbs Up 1

If anything it should be flattering to the design team that people want to see these characters in cars because that's how excellent their car designs are.

Yeah. My main complaint with Mario Kart 7 was that most of the new the karts didn't really look like something you would drive. But here, most vehicles actually look pretty neat.

Anyway, I don't really see how SUMO could have made NiGHTS and Reala ride in cars or boats and still stay true to their character. They said it was WiP, so hopefully the finished versions have more life to them.