Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

SumoRex has verified how it works; those ARE the characters, and they start off as their normal forms at the start line then transform into the vehicles and basically drive themselves. The little guys are just tagalongs, not really drivers.

• Thumbs Up 3

So Nights and Reala basically transform themselves into the boats and planes when not driving the car is what you're saying?

I'd assume that their All-Star Move is them in their original forms flying at high speeds. Maybe some sort of arial tricks system or flying through rings to attack opponents? Would LOVE to see Claris or Elliot appear for the ASM and merge with NiGHTS.

So Nights and Reala basically transform themselves into the boats and planes when not driving the car is what you're saying?

Ah, maybe I should have quoted directly...

They start off as the characters at the start line and transform into the vehicles to join the race! The Jailer and Nightopean just drop in for the ride really, as they aren't really drivers as such!

This kinda implies that all the different modes are vehicular transformations, car included. So they're not in any vehicle at the start.

Urgh. How incredibly lame.

I wanted to play as Nights, not a Transformers bootleg. I know it makes no sense for Nights to be in the vehicle but that never really stopped Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't really mind it, since it makes NiGHTS playable in a fun and unique way. Besides, the word "Transformed" is in the title, so making use of NiGHTS' inherent transforming abilities fits like a glove.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Beggars can't be choosers I wanted NiGHTS to be playable and and didn't care how. Probably not bothered by this because it's actually how I imagined Night's would work in ASR, though I did expect Claris or Elliot to be the drivers. BTW here's a clear version of Nights in his car form.

xvbUv.gif

• Thumbs Up 7

Beggars can't be choosers I wanted NiGHTS to be playable and and didn't care how. Probably not bothered by this because it's actually how I imagined Night's would work in ASR, though I did expect Claris or Elliot to be the drivers. BTW here's a clear version of Nights in his car form.

xvbUv.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That's incredibly hilarious.

That'd better be in the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I came here and saw people complaining about NiGHTS' form of transportation, I began wondering if anyone had ever played Journey into Dreams...

But it seems that those who have played it or know about it don't have as much of a problem with it. I'm actually impressed that they chose this particular way to include NiGHTS/Reala as racers, as it's a pretty awesome throwback to the second game, while keeping the character of the original that folks love (much like the Joe compromise they made with Shinobi.)

"Great work" is all I really have left to say.

xvbUv.gif

That is incredibly creepy and hilarious at the same time.

When I came here and saw people complaining about NiGHTS' form of transportation, I began wondering if anyone had ever played Journey into Dreams...

But it seems that those who have played it or know about it don't have as much of a problem with it. I'm actually impressed that they chose this particular way to include NiGHTS/Reala as racers, as it's a pretty awesome throwback to the second game, while keeping the character of the original that folks love (much like the Joe compromise they made with Shinobi.)

"Great work" is all I really have left to say.

I know of it and have a problem with it. Unlike JOD, I play NiGHTS as a vehicle the whole time here. In JOD it was only a few levels.

I don't really mind it, since it makes NiGHTS playable in a fun and unique way. Besides, the word "Transformed" is in the title, so making use of NiGHTS' inherent transforming abilities fits like a glove.

Agreed. While, if given the choice, I think I might prefer to play as NiGHTS in a car/boat/plane (opposed to a Nightopian/Nightmaren operating a NiGHTS/Reala vehicle), it makes perfect sense that Sumo and Sega went in this direction--in terms of the "transformed" aspect that you mentioned, along with the gameplay of Journey of Dreams. In fact, there was a large outcry from fans that Elliot and Claris should be in the next iteration in just the same manner that the Nightopian and Nightmaren are.

I know when I'm playing as the Nightopian/NiGHTS combo flying section, and I see the Nightmaren/Reala team, I'm going to have that twinge of giddiness, as I try to take the lead, bump them to the side, or unleash a special attack.

I'm good with this decision. Just glad to see NiGHTS and its evil twin in the game. smile.png

Edited by Wonks

jeez... some people are only happy when they're miserable. NiGHTs is playable in the game. You get to play them the whole time. What did you want? NiGHTs *IN* a car? That would make no sense whatsoever. The fact that NiGHTs can transform is the strength and very essence of the chartacter

It makes no sense for Sonic to be in a car either! /jk

But seriously. Yay NiGHTS, boo that he's his own car. We're disagreeing with that aesthetic take on things is all.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I played NiGHTS and it makes total sense to me. I am really happy with this great news. The highlight tbh is the vibrant and beautiful stage itself. Those beautiful music remixes are just the icing on the cake. Great work Sumo. I was very happy to see you guys open for the idea of creating a canon sonic game. May that day come

Edited by Djawed
  • Thumbs Up 1

(All this he/she stuff gets old very quickly... can I just say "he" as a default when I mean *both* please?)

"Shim" should do.

Anyway with Reala being in I think there might be a chance for someone like Gum to appear - especially as JSR is also getting the HD treatment.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who's played both NiGHTS games, I'm happy to see NiGHTS and Reala in the game AND that they transform into the three vehicle types. It's perfect representation and makes absolute sense. Why would any fan of the NiGHTS franchise want these characters limited to just driving pretty vehicles? I would be disappointed in Sumo Digital if they did that. That would be a complete and utter waste.

• Thumbs Up 7

I was so elated when they revealed not only NiGHTS, but Reala and Spring Valley! I happened to be up close to one of the screens at the time and it sure looked amazing. I'm also happy that they've gone in this direction with the transformations. Reala's flight form looks great.

Wait... Nights is a car?

What.

And Reala is also playable... hmm. Makes me wonder how much of the final roster is going to be secondary characters?

Anyways, this is interesting, I'm glad Nights got in even though I don't care that much about him. Would've been nice to see him driving a car though.

Edited by PsychoJosh

If NiGHTS and Reala are in the game with their transformations, is there any chance for Opa-Opa to be as well? I mean, Opa-Opa can be equipped with a lot of parts, so it's not like the character can only fly. I know that not the full roster of the first game is going to be in the sequel, but I'm especially afraid for Opa-Opa since I like the character a lot. I'm aware that SUMO isn't going to confirm or deny anything about the remaining characters, but I only wanted to know if there's any possibility for Opa-Opa to be in the game, nothing more.

This is awesome, NiGHTS is really winning this year. I'm not bothered by 2 NiGHTS chars, there are still 10 to 12 slots available. And been a car form does makes sense if you had played the game. But I just hope THIS:

xvbUv.gif

To be the all-star move, imagine that thing wrecking all the other players? It's full of retarded awesomeness that I always think some game industries should do sometimes, laughable things make everything more fun!

Edited by Jango

Just a random bit of toilet speculation about the 25 slots on the E3 build - those are probably the ones decided on early in development. I have a feeling that Reala wasn't originally intended to be in until NiGHTS HD was being made. Add Gum for JSR HD and of course Danica and we get our 28.

I think I'm over thinking things... I should probably go to bed now.

Wait until you see the renders of the vehicle... It's not like a car with a paintjob... It's all there, all of the NiGHTS character!

When the race starts he/she's him/herself... he/she transforms simply because he/she can! It's also currently set that during the Allstar move he/she transforms back to humanoid form.

This should alleviate most peoples concern, I'd hope.

And Reala is also playable... hmm. Makes me wonder how much of the final roster is going to be secondary characters?

I wouldn't worry about it much, because...

I have a feeling that Reala wasn't originally intended to be in until NiGHTS HD was being made.

I get that impression, too--which is fine. What better way to appease NiGHTS fans and give some more recognition to the into Dreams... remake. Also, I look at it this way--if they already have the build for NiGHTS, then it's all that much easier to make a "clone" character. I seriously doubt Reala took up an extra spot, and I'd much rather have an extra clone character than no character at all.

Edited by Wonks

I think it's a testament to the excellent car designs in this game that there are people who'd rather see NiGHTS driving a car. Indeed, I'm one of them. I'd have loved to see what sort of awesome designs they'd come up with.