Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

Just put Axel n Blaze, Ristar, Sketch Turner, Kid Chameleon and it's going to be the GOTY. And Segata Sanshiro with a Daytona USA track (or at least make Danica drives Hornet) and Roooolling Staaaaaaaaaaaaart!

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the fact that Metal Sonic features so much in Sonic 4 Episode 2 means he'll be upgraded to on-disc. I'm hoping that there's more DLC this time around, aslong as it doesn't affect how much the game ships with, character wise. A racer/track combo, like Metal in ASR.

Not really sure how well Opa-Opa would be for this game. It's about transforming, and moving from land to sea to air. Opa-Opa is his own vehicle and can't do those things. Yeah, he could hover over the ground instead of driving, and he can natrually fly, but he wouldn't have any transformations. Not sure what he'd do about water either.

Not really sure how well Opa-Opa would be for this game. It's about transforming, and moving from land to sea to air. Opa-Opa is his own vehicle and can't do those things. Yeah, he could hover over the ground instead of driving, and he can natrually fly, but he wouldn't have any transformations. Not sure what he'd do about water either.

thats why i think he'd be out. He does have wheels in one game, I believe. Then he flies... and his flight mode would basically be his boating mode. Not too creative in terms of transformation. However, if there was a Fantasy Zone battle arena with Opa Opa flying about shooting players, that would rule. I don't need to play as him, I just want to see him.

I don't get why people think Billy Hatcher will be cut? He's a popular enough of a character and the game has unique enough design to warrant his appearance + a track.

This game needs more COCK-A-DOODLE DOO anyway.

The fat that has to be trimmed? I've never seen anyone say that about ASR. Are those people just incredibly stupid? I don't see why you would want to trim fat from a crossover title like this. The best thing about these is putting as much as possible in them.

So Barry, I think you can update your list with a character that won't be in the game now.

Well I think it's safe to say big won't return since, you know, he's scrapped and all that jazz.

The fat that has to be trimmed? I've never seen anyone say that about ASR. Are those people just incredibly stupid? I don't see why you would want to trim fat from a crossover title like this. The best thing about these is putting as much as possible in them.

Sumo already said characters are getting chopped. So if I had to guess on which ones would get cut it'd most likely be Billy #1, followed by Big, the Bonanza Bros, and the zombie couple.

Edited by PsychoJosh

To be fair, I haden't even seen the zombie couple before their appearance in the first racer. They weren't even G or the protagonists or anything! So I can totally see them getting the cut for being obscure alone. Not so sure if that also includes the Bonanzas since that is a cult classic type of game. And based on my avatar, you can imagine who I might want to see make a return despite being slightly obscure. xD

I'd like to see Opa Opa come back too, but I'm not getting my hopes up. He needs to transform after all.

Sumo already said characters are getting chopped. So if I had to guess on which ones would get cut it'd most likely be Billy #1, followed by Big, the Bonanza Bros, and the zombie couple.

I don't see Billy being number 1 on the list of removals. That honour goes to Zobio & Zobiko. Methinks everyone was saying "Buh?" when they appeared. For Billy, I think he'll stay. The game shows Sega through the ages and back in the Gamecube era, there weren't many Sega games to choose from. So Billy should appear, for lack of other franchise's at the time.

I'd actually just like to see Opa Opa back to see how the transformations would work. And the Bonanza Bros, but that's just a personal thing. Oh well, there's always DLC.

I don't think that Opa-Opa need the transformations to be included, he could just belly slide or kick his legs to swim/boat.

I know that and it's not my point. I don't understand the people who would complain about the "fat" in this type of game.

Edited by PsychoJosh

I think Opa-Opa could work, especially considering how creative the team have been with the other characters' vehicles. Since he has always been able to upgrade and change his body parts it gives them room to get really inventive. Therefore I don't count him out based on that, but I do worry that he's a little obscure for people. Then again isn't Alex Kidd pretty damn obscure?

It would seem a bigger shame to me for him to be left out over a lot of other racers, not simply because he's one of my personal all-time favourites (although yes, that is a significant reason =P), but due to how unique he is among the roster.

If we don't get Opa-Opa, please give us Omochao in his Opa-Opa car from SA2's karting mode!

Edited by Debug ring

Then again isn't Alex Kidd pretty damn obscure?

Not really. He was Sega's first attempt at a corporate mascot before Sonic came along so he's kind of a big deal.

Then again isn't Alex Kidd pretty damn obscure?

For kids, yes. But most seasoned gamers will know him. To be fair, most of the SEGA cast is obscure.

• Thumbs Up 3

So Barry, I think you can update your list with a character that won't be in the game now.

NEVER! Keep the Big alive.

Actually I'll wait and see. Big probably won't return, but who knows. Iizuka is weird. Could mean no more Big in Sonic Team developed titles, but he'll be in stuff like ASR2. We'll have to wait and see. I'd consider characters like Bonanza Bros or Opa Opa or Alex Kidd retired, but they showed up in the last game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Actually I'll wait and see. Big probably won't return, but who knows. Iizuka is weird. Could mean no more Big in Sonic Team developed titles, but he'll be in stuff like ASR2. We'll have to wait and see. I'd consider characters like Bonanza Bros or Opa Opa or Alex Kidd retired, but they showed up in the last game.

The difference here being that the rest of the Sonic series isn't retired and Ken specifically said there are no plans for Big. It's not confirmation he won't be in the game, but you know... =(

Wasn't that article an april fool's joke?

Not really. He was Sega's first attempt at a corporate mascot before Sonic came along so he's kind of a big deal.

While I know of the character and his history, the fact that he had not had a major appearance in a game in almost two decades before Superstars Tennis came along would cause him to fade into obscurity. On the other hand Opa-Opa continued to star in games for a couple of years after Kidd's replacement and has had significantly more cameos in the last twenty years, so he has always come across as more important to Sega. I guess that's all the more reason to put Kidd in though, given that he was abruptly dropped for the most part despite garnering some popularity in the 80s.

Anyway, for those reasons Kidd just doesn't appear to be any less obscure to me than Opa-Opa. Come to think of it, I often see the claim that Opa-Opa acted as a mascot for Sega before Alex Kidd, but this seems to vary among people.

For kids, yes. But most seasoned gamers will know him. To be fair, most of the SEGA cast is obscure.

Yes, but that's true of many Sega games. Alex Kidd and Opa-Opa are on the same level, they're both separate mascots that came out around the same time and enjoyed varying degrees of popularity in Japan and America individually, they're sort of brothers in that sense.

Agreed. I didn't mean to infer that Kidd is a hell of a lot more unknown than the others, but used him as a comparison since he and Opa-Opa were essentially a part of the same era.

Edited by Lungo

While I know of the character and his history, the fact that he had not had a major appearance in a game in almost two decades before Superstars Tennis came along would cause him to fade into obscurity.

Yes, but that's true of many Sega games. Alex Kidd and Opa-Opa are on the same level, they're both separate mascots that came out around the same time and enjoyed varying degrees of popularity in Japan and America individually, they're sort of brothers in that sense.

Edited by PsychoJosh
  • Thumbs Up 1