Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

But that still doesn't change the style of the gameplay, though. That's just a minor change.

If you just go for the story, that might be true, but if you wanna compete in tournaments or online, each Gen changed the gameplay significantly.

But that still doesn't change the style of the gameplay, though. That's just a minor change.

Style of the gameplay? No, not really, but there are subtle evolutions to the formula. They might not seem like much, but they really do change the experience. If you play a Gen 1 game then go to one of the more recent installments, you'll see a lot of progress has been made.

Sadly, I'm not. Seriously, what's one thing they did differently in some of the later installments? Point out one thing they did to change them outside of new Pokemon and a new region

Gen II: A day & Night system which dictates which Pokemon you meet.

Gen III: Natures, and a complete overhaul of the EV and IV system for competitive battling

Gen IV: Physical and Special Split.

Gen V: Triple Battling, as well as a further overhaul of the game system.

And if a series sticking to its general forumula counts as "lazy" then I question you even know how game work at all.

And why is it everytime I say that Pokemon barely changes, the fans come in and defend it? That annoys me. -__-

Because its bullshit, and you really have no support to back it up. Yeah, it reuses the same gameplay, how is that bad in anyway?

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of get what your saying. Your talking about the going to 8 gym, defeat Villianous team X and become Champion right. I could compare that to the look and feel of this games graphics. Plus it surprises me that mostly everyone has their panties in a bunch out of 4 badly taken screenshoot.

I kind of get what your saying. Your talking about the going to 8 gym, defeat Villianous team X and become Champion right. I could compare that to the look and feel of this games graphics. Plus it surprises me that mostly everyone has their panties in a bunch out of 4 badly taken screenshoot.

There's a lot of information one can gather from those four badly taken screenshots though. They pretty much confirm it's another by the numbers New Super Mario Bros game. They prove there's gonna be more of the same art, same level tropes, etc. Now, theoretically, it COULD be that these four screenshots exist to throw us off and the rest of the game will be like nothing we've ever seen before, but based on past history, it seems very, very unlikely.

There's a lot of information one can gather from those four badly taken screenshots though. They pretty much confirm it's another by the numbers New Super Mario Bros game. They prove there's gonna be more of the same art, same level tropes, etc. Now, theoretically, it COULD be that these four screenshots exist to throw us off and the rest of the game will be like nothing we've ever seen before, but based on past history, it seems very, very unlikely.

Compare Super Mario Bros 1 with Lost levels. Cuz that's in terms what whats going on here.

Compare Super Mario Bros 1 with Lost levels. Cuz that's in terms what whats going on here.

How are games from the 80's possibly relevant? It was lazy back then too, but they at least had the benefit of the fact that they really weren't sure what to do for a sequel back then (until they struck gold with mario 3).

• Thumbs Up 1

You mean how they're essentially the same game except one's hard as balls? That was 1986, with both games on the NES. Even if something like that does happen with this game, I expect better from Nintendo in 2012, when they're making this on a significantly more powerful system than its predecessor.

Ninjezzed!

Edited by Chili Dawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fuck the lost levels.

Anything is better than that, even this game.

Edited by Solkia

And why is it everytime I say that Pokemon barely changes, the fans come in and defend it? That annoys me. -__-

How dare they defend something that they like.

/blatentsarcasm

Edited by Rawpowered

How dare they defend something that they like.

Which is basically what some people who like this game are doing as well.

I love how this turned into a Pokémon thread so quickly.

yeah me too. Really got derailed

That is what I'm trying to say here. I'm tired of the series using the same formula all over again. All I want to see is something different like having a different plot and change the battle system a bit. Constantly using the same battle system all over again since 2003 is already getting too stale for me.

I love how this turned into a Pokémon thread so quickly.

The game looks like shit, what more is there to talk about? :U

I'll just wait unitl more info come out

Edited by Team Chaotix
  • Thumbs Up 2

That is what I'm trying to say here. I'm tired of the series using the same formula all over again. All I want to see is something different like having a different plot and change the battle system a bit. Constantly using the same battle system all over again since 2003 is already getting too stale for me.

You know there are Spin-offs like Ranger, Rumble or Mystery Dungeon that don't use this formula right?

You know there are Spin-offs like Ranger, Rumble or Mystery Dungeon that don't use this formula right?

You know that what was talk about was main series games right?

NSMB2 looks like a DS game, it's really not showing off the 3DS' pretty graphics. hopefully its more than NSMB again.

Like others have said they've changed the battling system with each Gen since Gen III

Gen III - Natures, Double Battles, IVs and EVs are completely overhauled

Gen IV - The Physical and Special Split

Gen V - Triple and Rotation battles and the Wonder Launcher

Edited by Rawrdom

@Team Chaotix: Even if he is, I just wanted to mention that there are a lot of different gameplay styles, so if someone is sick of the "regular" formula of Pokemon and wants something different, there are still a lot of options he can go to.

NSMB2 looks like a DS game, it's really not showing off the 3DS' pretty graphics. hopefully its more than NSMB again.

a few posts back there was someone who posted pics of NSMB, NSMBWii and NSMB2, compare NSMB and NSMB2, their similar but not the same

For the sake of arguing I found this:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=175983

Double ninja'd, but it should be made clear that pulling this crap just because you could get away with it was bull back in 1986 too.

Lost Levels being such a half-assed, uninspired (and greatly inferior) retread of the first game is exactly why Lost Levels is Lost Levels outside of Japan and not Super Mario Bros. 2; and considering Lost Levels was basically a quickie cash-in Nintendo made because they were having so much problems with what was originally intended to be SMB2 (which, ironically, ended up becoming Doki Doki Panic and eventually SMB2), it isn't even directly comparable in the first place.

Edited by Tornado

Looks really lazy and dull to me, but I never really liked Mario in the first place so I don't really care. I'm just here to talk about the Pokemanz.

Pokemon:

You do realize that there are plenty of people who would ate for the battle system to be ditched in favor of something different for the sole purpose of "B-b-b-but you can't make subtle and worthwhile changes to something that's already fantastic for too long! You have to keep reinventing the wheel and divide your fanbase with a fucking buzzsaw with each new installment! Now that's entertainment!" (btdubs; the reason Sonic 1-3&K are typically regarded as the best games in the series, now along with Generations? Because they took an idea in the first game and expanded upon it, rather than doing something fucking stupid like

). The battle system is more than perfect as it is; easy to learn, insanely difficult to master. I couldn't ask for any more.

Oh, and have a different plot? ... Did you completely ignore Black and White? I don't really care if the plot's generally considered good or not (FYI: it is); it's still a huge stretch to say that it's exactly the same as the games that came before it.

Oh, and since your argument is that they don't change anything between games and that it's the epitome of laziness (with plenty of help from Bulbapedia):

Gen. I - Gen. II:

Major additions include:

• The introduction of 100 new Pokémon, bringing the total to 251. Several are evolved forms of or pre-evolutions of Generation I Pokémon, while others are their own evolutionary lines.
  • The addition of 86 new moves, bringing the total to 251 as well.
  • The addition of two new types, the Dark-type and Steel-type, to balance out the over-powerful Psychic-type and the underused Fighting-type.
  • A new region to explore, Johto, in addition to the Generation I region, with the latter accessible after the Elite Four have been defeated. Johto has its own set of eight new Gyms and Gym Leaders to defeat, while the Elite Four has changed in three years.
  • Genders for Pokémon, opening up the ability for two Pokémon which are similar enough to breed.
  • Two additional boxes in the Pokémon Storage System, which now includes the ability to move Pokémon directly between boxes, bringing Pokémon storage to 280.
  • A new player character, Ethan.
  • Seven new types of Poké Ball, all made from special fruit found in Johto.
  • A built-in clock, allowing for in-game events to be affected by the time of day and the days of the week.
  • Shiny Pokémon, which sparkle when brought into battle.
  • Baby Pokémon
  • Happiness, introduced in Pokémon Yellow, becomes a stat used by all Pokémon.
  • Pokémon can now hold items and use them in battle.
  • A special Pokémon virus is introduced that boosts stats.
  • Inheritance of a Pokémon's IVs from its parents.

Major alterations from Generation I include:
    • A change of the types of four moves (Gust, Sand-Attack, Karate Chop, and Bite), all formerly Normal-type, are now Flying, Ground, Fighting, andDark, respectively.
    • The addition of Steel as a secondary type for Magnemite and Magneton.
    • An improved stat system, with the former Special stat being split into Special Attack and Special Defense.
    • The bag is no longer one 20-item container, but has four separate sections for different items: Normal items, Poké Balls, TMs and HMs, and key items.
    • A key item can be set to and then subsequently accessed with the select button, for convenience on the field.
    • Opponent Pokémon Trainers are given individual names.
    • Exp. All is upgraded into the Exp. Share and is made a held item.
      • The definition of "upgrade" and not "replacement" in this situation is due to the items having the same name in the Japanese versions, suggesting an improvement on the item's mechanism and not necessarily a complete and independent substitute.
      • Town Map is replaced with an electronic device, the Pokégear, which also has cellphone and radio capabilities, alongside map functions.

Further additions in Pokémon Crystal include:
        • A female choice for the player, Kris.
        • Animations for all Pokémon when encountered or when sent from their Poké Balls.

Gen. II - Gen. III:

Generation I and Generation II, Generation III enhanced the Pokémon world the most yet, bringing about the most changes to the world of Pokémon. The advances include:

Through its incompatibility with

• The addition of 135 new Pokémon, the most added since Generation I (at the time of its release), bringing the total to 386. Many new Pokémon have previously unseen type combinations, while only two of them are related by evolution to older Pokémon.
          • Two new forms of Unown are also introduced.
          • The addition of 103 new moves, bringing the total to 354.
          • Pokémon may now have one or two of 77 different abilities which can change the tide of battle or affect out-of-battle gameplay.
          • The Pokémon Storage System has changed from a text-based interface to a full-color graphical user interface. Boxes, while remaining at 14, now have 10 extra spaces, allowing for storage of 140 additional Pokémon (for a total of 420 Pokémon).
          • The introduction of Pokémon Contests, where Pokémon show off their style in one of five Contest categories, with Contest stats enhanced byPokéblocks. Through this and other methods ribbons can be won for pokémon, which they wil retain when transfered to a Generation IV game.
          • A brand-new region, Hoenn, with its own set of eight Gym Leaders and Elite Four. Player characters are also different from before.
          • Seven new Poké Ball variants, replacing those found in Johto.
          • New villainous teams, Team Aqua and Team Magma, whose focus is on capturing the legendary Pokémon Kyogre and Groudon, respectively.
          • Weather conditions, introduced before, can now be found on the field and activate at the start of battle, while one more, hail, has been added.
          • Double battles, where both sides use two Pokémon at a time, introduced.
          • Communication capabilities with the e-Reader to activate certain events.
          • All handheld Generation III games have a framerate of 60, allowing for smoother animations.
          • Link trades and battles are made possible between Japanese and international releases due to the use of a worldwide character set. Due to the fact that online trading was introduced only in Generation IV, however, most are not made aware of this.

Major alterations from Generation II include:
            • A complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure; Pokémon now have an individual personality value which can range up to a number above four billion. Abilities and natures, also newly introduced, are determined based on this value, as is a Pokémon's gender, while the IV system has been overhauled for greater variance (0-31 rather than 0-15 as it was before). Shininess is now based on a calculation between the personality value and Original Trainer's Trainer ID number and secret ID number with the same rarity.
            • An overhaul of the Berry system introduced in Generation II: old Berries rejected in favor of Berries which grow individually as plants and can be picked and planted elsewhere. The effects of the first ten new Berries are similar to the ten Generation II Berries.
            • Each Pokémon has its own status screen sprite, for ease of use in the party screen or PC.

Further additions in FireRed and LeafGreen include:
              • Wireless communication between games (requires adapter boxed with FireRed and LeafGreen).
              • The ability to move multiple Pokémon in the PC at once.
              • The Sevii Islands, a collection of nine islands that contain many Pokémon otherwise only found in the Johto region.

Further additions in Emerald include:
                • Tag battles, where two opponent Trainers encounter the player at once and battle in a double battle.
                • A Battle Frontier, adding to the original Battle Tower, and featuring Trainers who head each facility.

Gen. III - Gen. IV

Much like how Generation II enhanced Generation I mostly by building on its features, Generation IV builds on the features introduced in Generation III. The advancements introduced in Generation IV include:

• The addition of 107 new Pokémon, bringing the total to 493. New evolutions and pre-evolutions abound in this generation, including ones for long-time favorites such as Electabuzz, Magmar, and Eevee.
                  • The addition of 113 new moves, bringing the total to 467.
                  • The addition of 47 new abilities (and removal of the unused Cacophony), bringing the total to 123. Many older Pokémon can now have one of two abilities, rather than the single ability they could have in Generation III.
                  • Four more boxes in the Pokémon Storage System, bringing the total to 18, for a total of 540 Pokémon.
                  • Another new region to explore, Sinnoh, yet again with its own Gym Leaders and Elite Four. Player characters are again changed.
                  • Four new variants of Poké Ball, retaining the seven introduced in Generation III.
                  • A new villainous team, Team Galactic, whose intent is to capture Dialga and Palkia, said to be the creators of the Pokémon universe, and remake it in the image of their leader, Cyrus.
                  • The return of the time system from Generation II, with enhanced transitions between the time periods of the day.
                  • A three-dimensional rendering of the overworld, rather than just sprites, with the same style seen in previous games.
                  • Moves are now designated physical or special based on the move itself, rather than its type. There is also now the category of status that includes moves that do not do direct damage such as Toxic, Recover, and Destiny Bond.
                  • Pokémon are now able to be traded and battled over the Internet through the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.
                  • When items are bought and sold, the item's proper plural is used, rather than a conditional (s). In past generations, the conditional (s) rendered selling some items, like the Silk Scarf or DeepSeaTooth, odd, with "SILK SCARF(S)" and "DEEPSEATOOTH(S)" used regardless of if one or many were sold. Selling one of these items now renders as "Turned over the DeepSeaTooth and received Pok%C3%A9monDollar.png100," while selling multiple renders as "Turned over the DeepSeaTeeth and received Pok%C3%A9monDollar.png200."

Alterations from Generation III include:

Because what you're saying is ignorant. It annoys me.

A complete overhaul of the inner workings of the battle system is a "minor change"?

... Am I being punked?

Edit:

Can we please keep the Pokémon food fights out of this thread? It's getting really heated and it doesn't even belong here.

My apologies. It's just a misconception that really bugs me, and I wanted to address it.

[*]New and enhanced versions of Pokémon Contests, featuring more rounds and a different appeals process. Poffins are now used to enhance contest stats, rather than Pokéblocks.

[*]Secret bases have been moved underground, where players can interact over local wireless connections.

[*]Some Pokémon now display differences in appearance based on their gender.

[*]The framerate has been downgraded to 30. This is likely to prevent slowdown or crashing in 3D areas.

[*]Players are now able to run inside all buildings.

[*]Pokémon hatching from eggs are now level 1 instead of level 5.

Further additions in Platinum include:

[*]Another new Battle Frontier, with several different facilities from the one in Hoenn.

[*]Ability to record and share battles with other players and in the Battle Frontier over the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

[*]Sinnoh Pokédex is expanded, making the total of 150 (in Diamond and Pearl) and 210 (in Platinum) Pokémon in the Sinnoh Pokédex.

Further additions in HeartGold and SoulSilver include:

[*]The re-introduction of the seven Poké Balls made from Apricorns, unavailable since Generation II.

[*]The first Pokémon in the party can now follow the player outside of battle almost anywhere in the overworld.

[*]Instead of contests, the Pokéathlon games are used.

Gen. IV - Gen. V

Generation II, the Generation V games enhance the Pokémon experience on the DS in several ways. Advancements introduced in Generation V include:

Being the first games on the same console as their predecessors since

[*]The addition of 156 new Pokémon, bringing the total to 649. No Pokémon from previous generations can be found in Unova itself until after the National Pokédex is obtained.

[*]The addition of 92 new moves, bringing the total to 559.

[*]The addition of 41 new abilities, bringing the total to 164. Many older Pokémon are allowed to have new Abilities, including some that were introduced in Generation III and Generation IV, by transferring them from the Dream World. This effectively gives most Pokémon three legitimate abilities, rather than the two which have been standard since Generation III.

[*]Yet another region to explore, the Unova region, far away from the previous four and based on New York City, rather than a region of Japan.

[*]A new villainous team, Team Plasma, whose goals include separating the worlds of Pokémon and humans to make a black and white world.

[*]Triple battles and rotation battles are now a part of gameplay, which are variations of battling like double battles.

[*]The introduction of the Wonder Launcher, a new battle mode which can stack with double, triple and rotation battles.

[*]The introduction of dark grass, where double battles against wild Pokémon can occur.

[*]The introduction of phenomena, occurrences which involve wild Pokémon or items moving and making sounds to indicate their position, somewhat similar to the Pokéradar.

[*]The introduction of seasons, which alternate every month.

[*]Expanded variance in camera placement, making the cities and towns of Unova more realistic and lifelike. There are also curves in places likeCastelia City, Dragonspiral Tower, and the Skyarrow Bridge.

[*]The Poké Mart is now combined with the Pokémon Center.

[*]Introduction of the Entralink, which allows players to visit each other in-game, rather than just inside of the Union Room or the Underground.

[*]The new Pokémon Global Link, which allows players to connect their games to the internet to view statistics or download some changes to the games, such as the design of the Pokédex. This also grants players access to the Pokémon Dream World, where players may befriend Pokémon and send them over to their games.

[*]Weather conditions and the current time are now displayed on the bottom screen during battle when making selections as to what to do during the turn.

[*]One new variant of Poké Ball, the Dream Ball, retaining the 25 found in previous games.

[*]The Apricorn Poké Balls and the Sport Ball are inaccessible without hacking and do not function as Poké Balls even if acquired; however, Pokémon caught in these Poké Balls in HeartGold and SoulSilver retain them when sent to a Generation V game.

[*]Pokémon now animate constantly throughout battle, rather than simply animating upon exiting a Poké Ball as in previous generations. These animations are reminiscent of those of Pokémon Crystal, rather than the two-sprite distortion method that has been the standard since Pokémon Emerald. The speed at which Pokémon move slows as the HP goes down and with most status ailments, and frozen Pokémon do not move at all.

[*]When a Pokémon is affected by a status ailment, in addition to slowing movement, it also glows a color depending on the status ailment (except for sleep). When a Pokémon is asleep, it uses a different sprite that depicts it sleeping, usually with its eyes closed.

[*]The back sprites of Pokémon show the Pokémon's body in full, with their poses and animations being the same as the front sprite, but seen from behind.

[*]The battle music changes under certain conditions. When one of the player's Pokémon on the battlefield has less than 25% of their HP, the music changes to a faster, more suspenseful music. When battling a Gym Leader's last Pokémon, the music also changes.

[*]The overworld music also changes in certain circumstances. Almost all the routes now have instruments that differ between the seasons, and layers that activate and deactivate when the player walks or stops, respectively; while music that plays in some towns and cities have layers that can be added by talking to citizens. These people can be seen playing different musical instruments like piano, guitar, etc.

[*]In the Japanese version of the game, the option to display kanji in game menus and text is available, in addition to hiragana and katakana as in the previous four generations.

[*]In international versions of the game, non-nicknamed Pokémon names are displayed with only one capital letter, rather than having all capital letters prior to Generation V.

[*]The number of boxes in the Pokémon Storage System has been increased from 18 to 24. However, players only start with 8 boxes. Additional space is available once the player has placed one captured Pokémon in each of the 8 boxes, then receiving an additional 8 boxes for storage, bringing the total to 16. This cycle continues until the player finally has 24 boxes, for a storage total of 720 Pokémon.

[*]TMs have expanded from 92 to 95. Many of the 92 TMs found in Generation IV contain different moves.

[*]In addition, TMs now have infinite uses, like HMs.

[*]To prevent repeated usage of TMs for the purpose of PP restoration, when a Pokémon forgets a move in order to learn from a TM or HM, the move learned takes on the current PP of the move replaced (up to its own maximum).

[*]The number of HMs has been reduced from eight to six. The first four remain the same as during the first four generations; HM05 is now Waterfall and HM06 is now Dive.

[*]The expansion of the Key Item shortcut feature to include access to several menu screens. After being registered, the player can access a quick access menu by pressing the Y Button.

[*]While the framerate for the overworld is still 30, the framerate has been increased to 60 for battles, the title screen, and 2D menus. However, the opening only has a framerate of 15.

Alterations from Generation IV

[*]The abandonment of Pokémon Contests and the Pokéathlon in favor of the Pokémon Musical, a different type of competition which does not factor in a Pokémon's moves.

[*]Seals and Ball Capsules are no longer available for use on Poké Balls.

[*]The ???-type does not exist in this generation. Curse is now a Ghost-type move.

[*]Rotom's appliance forms are now no longer Ghost-type Pokémon; instead, they are Electric and the type of their special move.

[*]Pokémon in the party can no longer follow the player outside of battle in any point of the game.

[*]The abandonment of encounter rate differences based on the time of day.

[*]Gym Leaders and Elite Four members no longer have animated sprites like those of HeartGold, SoulSilver, and Platinum, although certain characters still do have animated sprites.

[*]The option to have the Running Shoes on at all times, as in HeartGold and SoulSilver, has been removed.

[*]In the Wi-Fi Club, there is no longer an option to set all Pokémon at level 100.

[*]Items are displayed in a list format rather than the six-cell pages that were seen in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

[*]Mixing records is no longer a feature.

[*]The persistent bottom-screen menu from Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver is no longer present, as that screen now displays the C-Gear. The menu is brought up on the touch screen in the same way, though, with X.

[*]The way some key items are used, such as the Dowsing Machine, has been altered.

[*]A poisoned Pokémon no longer receives damage outside the battle.

[*]The player cannot rematch Gym Leaders.

[*]Badges are no longer necessary in order to use HM field moves.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 5

Can we please keep the Pokémon food fights out of this thread? It's getting really heated and it doesn't even belong here.

• Thumbs Up 8