Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

I'm gonna wait until some vids are released before I judge. I still think the game looks pleasant visually,if not particularly interesting. You do wonder how the Wii U game (if it is indeed NSMBMii) shall connect to it.

Looks bland, but I said that about 3D Land too and I was very very wrong. However, the graphics look terrible...did Nintendo actually say this is going to be a physical release?

I'd be way more hyped for this game if Nintendo announces at E3 that it's actually going to be the first original Mario game released in the eShop.

Y'know what I think... I think they call it New Super Mario Bros. 2 because it's a sequel to the original.

New Super Mario Bros Wii was sort of a reimagining of the original (and by that I mean the original NSMB), and this is an actual sequel.

Oh and the aesthetics don't look exactly the same too me. They look even worse.............

Edited by Egg-Nega-Wooly

People are just really critical of Mario it seems. It doesn't really amount to much because, we still love him and buy his games anyway. Not that it's a bad thing, considering Mario has yet to have a game that was worse than good (except for CDi games but, screw those).

Y'know what I think... I think they call it New Super Mario Bros. 2 because it's a sequel to the original.

New Super Mario Bros Wii was sort of a reimagining of the original (and by that I mean the original NSMB), and this is an actual sequel.

Oh and the aesthetics don't look exactly the same too me. They look even worse.............

I was at Gamestop today a took a look at NSMB DS box art (cuz I don't have it) and compared it to NSMBWii box art ( which I do have) and I found something interesting in the titles. With NSMB DS the "New" is inside a Yellow background figure, while NSMBWii has "New" in a Red background. Now one may take that as an oversight but in this case would justify why this game is called NSMB 2 because the "New" is once again incased in a Yellow Background.

I was at Gamestop today a took a look at NSMB DS box art (cuz I don't have it) and compared it to NSMBWii box art ( which I do have) and I found something interesting in the titles. With NSMB DS the "New" is inside a Yellow background figure, while NSMBWii has "New" in a Red background. Now one may take that as an oversight but in this case would justify why this game is called NSMB 2 because the "New" is once again incased in a Yellow Background.

The huds/graphics are styled closer to the DS version too.

Looks bland, but I said that about 3D Land too and I was very very wrong. However, the graphics look terrible...did Nintendo actually say this is going to be a physical release?

I'd be way more hyped for this game if Nintendo announces at E3 that it's actually going to be the first original Mario game released in the eShop.

I was actually thinking about this as well. I really want an eShop Mario platformer that isn't just a port of already existing Mario games. This whole game seems more like an expansion of previous NSMB games than a new game so I think it would fit the eShop perfectly.

I mean the only reason I still play Sonic 4 is that I can access it so easily since it is right on the Wii's menu screen. It just is a massive bonus that I don't have to change the game discs in order to play it since it really wouldn't be worth the trouble. I think that also applies with NSMB2. A good fun you can play for a few minutes every now and then but if it makes you to change game cartridges in order to play it, then you might as well put in a better game.

All we have are a couple of LQ screenshots... Give it a chance.

Fact is most people here will still buy it. I mean it's Mario. The gameplay is gonna be as perfect and solid as ever, that's kind of a given. But it could be so much more of an experience if they just gave the aesthetics the same love as the gameplay. 3D Land would have been perfect if the music had matched the more surreal/beautiful looking levels, but now we've gone and taken a step backwards again.

I'm actually fine with the NSMB art style because it's so clean and easy to read, but I really really want some new aesthetics.

Let's see, what have we had in the first two?

Grassy Hills - Egypt-esque Desert - Beach/Tropical - Swampy Jungle - Snowy Mountain - Rocky Mountain - Cloudy Sky - Spooky/Lava

They will probably do this again, when they could do... I dunno.

Grassy Woods - Western-esque Desert - Seaside Town (Isle Delfino callback?) - Overgrown Caves/Ruins - Glacial Ice Floe - Pipe Island (Since this is SMB3 callbacks and all, why not?) - Surreal (Music/Sweets/Patchwork etc) - Space (Yeah we had Galaxy I know but it'd make a change from the usual lava lair, and an all 2D set of gravity-based levels and circular planets would be neat. Just bring it back down to earth (not necessarily literally, just, you know, gimmickless) for the big finale stages).

Then the Secret World (assuming there is one) can be the usual mish-mash of styles. They don't have to go totally wild just... SOMETHING that makes it not look like NSMB's aesthetics redrawn - AGAIN.

I hope to god it isn't the same art staff on each one. They must be getting awfully bored.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

^This. I'd be more than happy if this game was original for once and not a complete rehash. This is like a huge problem for Nintendo these days. Look at Pokemon, for example (mostly the mainstream games).

How is this a huge problem with Nintendo as a whole? Pokemon has ALWAYS played the same (And it's actually a GOOD thing that it doesn't change too much.), and the NSMB series is a rare case of extreme laziness (As far as level themes and tile sets goes). But everything else we've seen from Nintendo has actually been pretty original. Such as Kid Icarus: Uprising.

It's expected of a franchise to stay true to a defining formula or else there wouldn't be much of a franchise. That's not the ultimate issue here. The problem is that they're not introducing anything new to the table, or making it fresh and unique for a new installment. If I wanted to play New Super Mario Bros, I would just play New Super Mario Bros. What difference would it make for me if it had a Tanooki Tail? I'm not MovieBob.

Or to put it in a more elaborate way, all of these videos/article demonstrates the point and issue most people are having with this.

• Thumbs Up 6

How is this a huge problem with Nintendo as a whole? Pokemon has ALWAYS played the same (And it's actually a GOOD thing that it doesn't change too much.), and the NSMB series is a rare case of extreme laziness (As far as level themes and tile sets goes). But everything else we've seen from Nintendo has actually been pretty original. Such as Kid Icarus: Uprising.

And Pokemon isn't filled with laziness either? Ever since RBY, Game Freak keeps releasing the same game over and over again every year. They don't even bother doing anything new to the gameplay other than a new region and craploads of new Pokemon. It wouldn't hurt if they did some new things to the series like give the protagonists actual personalities instead of not having any.

I know Nintendo did some original things lately, but series like NSMB and Pokemon still suffer from having no originality whatsoever.

Edited by Arle985

It's expected of a franchise to stay true to a defining formula or else there wouldn't be much of a franchise. That's not the ultimate issue here. The problem is that they're not introducing anything new to the table, or making it fresh and unique for a new installment. If I wanted to play New Super Mario Bros, I would just play New Super Mario Bros. What difference would it make for me if it had a Tanooki Tail? I'm not MovieBob.

Or to put it in a more elaborate way, all of these videos/article demonstrates the point and issue most people are having with this.

I wasn't asking why he had a problem with this game, I was asking how Nintendo has a huge problem with un-originality as of late. I understand why everyone has a problem with the unoriginal level themes. I have a problem with them too. (Though it doesn't matter much to me because this game will still be loads of fun despite the laziness)

And Pokemon isn't filled with laziness either? Ever since RBY, Game Freak keeps releasing the same game over and over again every year. They don't even bother doing anything new to the gameplay other than a new region and craploads of new Pokemon. It wouldn't hurt if they did some new things to the series like give the protagonists actual personalities instead of not having any.

I know Nintendo did some original things lately, but series like NSMB and Pokemon still suffer from having no originality whatsoever. ]

I didn't say that Pokemon wasn't lazy (Although I don't really think so but whatever), just that it's better off the way it is. The protagonists have no defined personality because they're supposed to be you. Making them into actual characters would defeat that.

You're kinda acting like Nintendo has made nothing but a bunch of rehashes lately. Sure NSMB and Pokemon are pretty samey, but games like Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 shook things up quite a bit.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

The problem really is that NSMBWii was at least forgivable because it was an HD (well... as HD as Wii gets) re-imagining of the low resolution DS graphics. It looked quite swish despite everything. But what's this gonna be... an inbetweeny not quite upgrade of the original? Just... eh.

Actually, if they give the option to play as luigi again, I'd probably get it.

That's something that pissed me of about the Wii version :I

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really would have preferred a game based on SMB2 USA, but then I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to not have any differences between characters or not have Peach playable because effort.

• Thumbs Up 3

I didn't say that Pokemon wasn't lazy (Although I don't really think so but whatever), just that it's better off the way it is. The protagonists have no defined personality because they're supposed to be you. Making them into actual characters would defeat that.

You're kinda acting like Nintendo has made nothing but a bunch of rehashes lately. Sure NSMB and Pokemon are pretty samey, but games like Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 shook things up quite a bit.

I think you missed on what I said earlier. I'm already aware that Nintendo did do some original things with their other games. I was really impressed with Super Mario 3D Land due to how different it was. A 2D Mario game in 3D? Now that was an interesting twist. Something like that makes me wish that Nintendo gave the NSMB series some justice by not making later installments the same game (which in this case, NSMB2). As for Pokemon, nothing changes. At all.

The bottom line is people, this game is the embodiment of laziness; most of the level tropes are going to be ripped from the previous games, yeah sure the design is going to be different but its still the essentially the same levels you've been trudging through since 2006, its like eating a cake, and then eating the exact same cake but with a different type of frosting. If you want to play New Super Mario Bros, get a DS lite, and go buy a used copy, there I just saved you maybe $100 for buying a 3DS and this piece of shit.

This is bullshit, and you know it.

Please tell me you're joking, because that's a load of shit and you should know it.

Sadly, I'm not. Seriously, what's one thing they did differently in some of the later installments? Point out one thing they did to change them outside of new Pokemon and a new region. And why is it everytime I say that Pokemon barely changes, the fans come in and defend it? That annoys me. -__-

Point out one thing they did to change them outside of new Pokemon and a new region.

Example:

Gen 3 Introduced: "A complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure; Pokémon now have an individual personality value which can range up to a number above four billion. Abilities and natures, also newly introduced, are determined based on this value, as is a Pokémon's gender, while the IV system has been overhauled for greater variance (0-31 rather than 0-15 as it was before). Shininess is now based on a calculation between the personality value and Original Trainer's Trainer ID number and secret ID number with the same rarity."

The problem really is that NSMBWii was at least forgivable because it was an HD (well... as HD as Wii gets) re-imagining of the low resolution DS graphics. It looked quite swish despite everything. But what's this gonna be... an inbetweeny not quite upgrade of the original? Just... eh.

Don't you see? It's a 3D re-imagining of the low-res 2D graphics of the DS version, thus perfectly justifiable.

On a more serious note though, what really made me enjoy the Wii version was the increase in difficulty and multiplayer, both of which I really missed while playing the DS one. The 3DS version might crank up the difficulty again, which I do welcome, but I don't think it can offer a same kind of multiplayer experience the Wii version did. They could add online co-op, but honestly, I can't really see myself enjoying it anywhere near as much as I did on the Wii. There's just nothing like sitting next to your friend while playing, screaming and yelling at each other when you accidentally jump on one another, laughing and just having a good time. The 3DS version should at the very least include voice that to sort of make up for that but even then it just doesn't feel the same.

Example:

Gen 3 Introduced: "A complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure; Pokémon now have an individual personality value which can range up to a number above four billion. Abilities and natures, also newly introduced, are determined based on this value, as is a Pokémon's gender, while the IV system has been overhauled for greater variance (0-31 rather than 0-15 as it was before). Shininess is now based on a calculation between the personality value and Original Trainer's Trainer ID number and secret ID number with the same rarity."

But that still doesn't change the style of the gameplay, though. That's just a minor change.

Edited by Arle985

But that's nothing to change the style of the gameplay, though.

Yes it is. It changes the gameplay completely.

Abilitys, Natures and Ivs change the way you play the game at 100%.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 2