Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

Well, it's a Mario platformer, so I'm sure it will be of high-quality design. But my interest for the series (and many other Ninty franchises lately) is starting to decline. As much as I love all his games, nothing Mario has done has been particularly innovative or exciting since the first Galaxy. I loved Galaxy 2 and NSMBWii, but 3D Land felt kinda bland after playing the Galaxy games, and I feel like another NSMB isn't going to bring us the innovation the series is known for.

The return of the P-meter is cool, as is the return of the raccoon suit in a 2D game. But it seems like they are keeping this game, for the most part, the same as the other 2. Lately, Nintendo is appearing to refuse to let their franchises evolve just for the sake of maintaining "tradition." As much as I love the plumber, I doubt this game is going to be anything new or interesting.

But hey, we have barely any info. Maybe I'm wrong, and it'll end up being freaking amazing. C'mon Nintendo, surprise me!

How is Mario supposed to evolve? It's a platformer. It's not going to like...change into Ratchet & Clank.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Miyamoto himself is the guy who holds the series back. Wasn't he against little things like the gliding and underwater driving in MK7? I wouldn't be surprised if he's against changing the rules too much.

Maybe "evolve" isn't the best word, but older entries at least tried to mix things up a little more.

3 added several suits, the P-meter, lots of powerups, special stages, etc.

World added Yoshi and more secrets to find.

64 brought exploration and 3D environments.

Sunshine added the water pack, a slightly more interesting story, and, for better or worse, voice acting.

Galaxy brought gravity mechanics.

NSMB Wii added multiplayer.

But recent games, like 3D Land and Galaxy 2 (which I love, but I digress), haven't really added anything new outside of a couple powerups. Most of the content is just the "big return" of a feature from an older game - which is fine and dandy, but can only be repeated for so long.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Miyamoto himself is the guy who holds the series back. Wasn't he against little things like the gliding and underwater driving in MK7? I wouldn't be surprised if he's against changing the rules too much.

He was also against kart customization but he let the team do it only if they could integrate it properly. So we know how that turned out. i.e it was a hit.

You know what I'd like? After the truly legendary lack of fucks given for NSMBW (and it isn't like the first game was the most amazingly crafted piece ever anyway), I'd like something that implies that there was actual care and love put into it.

SMW was superficially quite similar to SMB3, and I've seen people dump on the game because of that, but you can still feel how much effort was expanded into making it that makes it stand apart. Neither of the NSMB games have given off anything remotely like the same feeling, and I don't think it is too much to ask that Nintendo at least pay lip service towards the idea that they are more than the lazy cash-ins that they are. As shitty as Sonic 4E2 may end up being, you can at least see that they tried to make it stand out.

Yeah cuz graphics are the deciding factor on how they made the game stand out.rolleyes.gif Let forget that Level design can make a game stand out.

Let forget that Level design can make a game stand out.

We might as well, since that isn't something the NSMB games have ever held in distinction anyway.

*insert extra-clever rolleyes sarcasm smilie here*

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

We might as well, since that isn't something the NSMB games have ever held in distinction anyway.

*insert extra-clever rolleyes sarcasm smilie here*

Well Sonic 4 ep 2's level design of speed boost, loop, bumper bumper, run, jump bumper bumper grind rail end, isn't distinctive eithertongue.png

Love how this became a "Lets compare this to S4E2" thread.

As long as the game plays well and I have fun with it (which, in the end, that is what should really matter) I could careless how similar it looks to the previous titles. Kinda bummed that there is no multiplayer (idk if that's confirmed or not though, just been skimming this topic).

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

^What Team Chaotix said. Nintendo may not be trying, but somehow, this "not trying" is turned out way better than the "a bit trying" of Dimps.

Edited by Thigolf

Well, at least NSMB isn't half automated.

Again, I'm not saying S4E2 will be better than this. No way in hell it would. But they clearly care deeply about the game they are making (with the caveat that they just don't seem to have any idea what they are doing). But even if it ends up terrible, you can already tell that it is an earnest attempt so it is at least understandable why people are excited for it.

Neither of the first two NSMB games can hold the same distinction, so even if this one somehow does somehow break the mold the first two set why is it so crazy that people want it to at this point rather than just being okay with the same "there's nothing technically wrong with it" style of competency presented by them?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

Love how this became a "Lets compare this to S4E2" thread.

Well when some people are saying that Dimps is making S4E2 stand out compared to this ( which it being compared graphically) then there is cause for disscussion.

As long as the game plays well and I have fun with it (which, in the end, that is what should really matter) I could careless how similar it looks to the previous titles. Kinda bummed that there is no multiplayer (idk if that's confirmed or not though, just been skimming this topic).

That's what I want to. Plus I think will get more details on mutiplayer (if any) by E3

Again, I'm not saying S4E2 will be better than this. No way in hell it would. But they clearly care deeply about the game they are making (with the caveat that they just don't seem to have any idea what they are doing). But even if it ends up terrible, you can already tell that it is an earnest attempt so it is at least understandable why people are excited for it.

If they cared deeply they would have gone the extra mile to improve the level design along with the physics and graphics, with level design being the chief priority

This game is lazy. I don't really care of Nintendo's version of lazy is better than Dimps' version of lazy, it is lazy nonetheless.

You can't really justify this game because "its better than Sonic 4", because that's not really saying much is it. However, if Sonic 4 can at least try to look pretty, even if its just superficial, there is a huge problem. Nintendo are a massive company compared to SEGA and Dimps, I'm pretty sure they have access to people who can throw together decent 2.5D graphics (I dunno, something like DKCR). The 3DS may not be able to compare to the HD consoles, but goddamn, its no graphical slouch either. Nobody knows the 3DS's capabilities better than Nintendo and its a little sad that they couldn't even be bothered to try with this entry.

I don't care that this game is better than Sonic 4. Many things are better than Sonic 4. Nintendo can do so much better than they are with this game and its annoying. I believe the phrase is "not living up to potential".

And what would I rather have? I'd rather have game that isn't yet another NSMB. In fact I'd rather not have anything at all. Let the 3rd party do something.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 6

Aq-hYHUCMAACNeE.jpg

3 different games.

I haven't bought the other 2, so if I'm going to buy any of them I may as well go for this. Another thing I want to note, it better have something exciting like the Wii version, that was actually quite a nice twist for a boss fight.

NSMB2 looks so much more colorful. I love it.

It looks fun, and I'll be picking this one up for sure.

new_super_mario_bros_wii1253652260.jpg

What HAPPENED? There's no life, or depth, or effort being shown here. It's so dull. And this is coming from someone who likes the game.

That's a beta screenshot, isn't it? You're right, though. It's pretty dull.

At least NSMB2 has a bit more color.

I just really wish they would stop reusing the same damned tilesets.

Edited by Cola

Ehhh... I'm not really in the mood for NSMB2. I'm sure it'll have some brilliant level design and all that fun stuff, but I wish they'd play around with the aesthetics a bit more and add a bit of life to it.

...really dissapointed on the visuals, they look like cleaned up DS visauls. However, the game usually ends up being fun to play.

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFan

I still like the NSMB visual style, it's always clear and concise and very easy to read. But yes I really wish they'd mix up the visuals by now. Just give us a sunset or some rain or something. While it never had the music to match (thus the atmosphere was somewhat lost), 3D Land had some FANTASTIC skyboxes.

But yeah, this'll be a day 1 purchase for me anyway. Considering it's been less than a year since 3D Land was out, I don't mind the clearly lower budget here. It'll be like going to a favourite fast food resturant or something. Doesn't look pretty but tastes damn good.

Edited by JezMM