Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

This could have the best features, level design, and power-ups in any Mario game ever, yet it still looks like NSMB.

Yes, I do understand that (And I am kinda annoyed they still stuck with the same art style)

But I'm more so talking about the people calling the game bad, or just another boring mario game

To whip out my pizza analogies again, I guess this New mario game is like going to a new pizza resturant, ordering your favourite flavour of pizza that you love to have at home out of the freezer, and then they give you an actual supermarket oven-cook pizza. I mean it's your favourite one, it's still delicious but... damn you're eating out, you were hoping they'd at least dress it up a bit nicer for you.

No matter how good the new gameplay and level design is, it's still not going to be exciting.

When I think back to that glorious moment where I first watched Mario waltz his way up the starlit path to the opening sequence in Mario Galaxy, and how I thought "Wow... so this is next generation Mario. I am in love."

...I just can't fathom how that sense of magic and atmosphere managed to just fly over Nintendo's heads as being a one time thing.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well to be fair I'm sure the next 3D Mario on WiiU will give that feeling again. I honestly think Nintendo are scared to mess with the NSMB series too much because of how successful it's been for them.

My biggest beef with the game is that it could be so much more than it is.

Well to be fair I'm sure the next 3D Mario on WiiU will give that feeling again. I honestly think Nintendo are scared to mess with the NSMB series too much because of how successful it's been for them.

How is making the game look prettier than 3D models pasted in a 2D backdrop (essentially what Sonic 4 Ep 1 did) going to "mess" with the NSMB series? How is introducing a new powerup or something going to mess things up? There is plenty Nintendo could do to shake up and bring some life into the NSMB series without radically altering the fundamentals.

I don't disagree with you, I just think Nintendo don't want to change up something too much that's clearly been working for them.

...I just can't fathom how that sense of magic and atmosphere managed to just fly over Nintendo's heads as being a one time thing.

That's the exact reason why I thought Galaxy 1 was so much better than Galaxy 2. Nintendo can plaster on Yoshi and power ups all they want but it'll be nothing if the same atmosphere isn't there.

I'm pretty disappointed by the looks of this so far...same old crap. I want to be excited about a new Mario game again...Makes me hope that the recent rumblings of "Super Mario 4" could be a true return to form, and bring something new, or at the very least rip a bunch of ideas from Super Mario World for a change instead of draining SMB3's corpse any further.

Nintendo of America product page is up:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ehSBsDqZYxWzmHC9ODf7wDDu5_TdrXhw

Info:

System: Nintendo 3DS

Release Date: August 2012

No. of Players: To be determined

Category: Platformer

Publisher:

Overview:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series. The game was created specifically as a pick-up-and-play experience that can be instantly enjoyed by players of all skill levels on the Nintendo 3DS system. The game will launch across North America in August.

Better quality screenshots:

9yMhYsJupniJKhmxvyDLZiYZdfo6-bDr.jpg

EJNl6-aKQvzuw0vCxMXSE9I2nduVRqRY.jpg

mskg7VCmaNl0ylpK_D1zmF47K8k5qSVX.jpg

4LLB6J5tTa3WduL1L8P7Pp3_1m88ZrL9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Yay, it went from looking like shitty DS graphics to shitty 3DS graphics!

Something that's pissed me off in general about the 3DS, a lot of the games pixelization looks really jagged. If Mario Kart 7 didn't have these problems, at 60fps no less, why do these other games?

Edited by Solkia

So at least the game may or may not be multiplayer, that's good.

>Quality

biggrin.png

Those sexy DS-styled graphics in the game now in HQ.

Yeah, Mario Kart 7 looked just as jaggy in still shots. So did Mario 3D Land. So did everything.

"Pick-up-and-play experience"? Guuuuh. All Mario games are pick-up-and-play. That suggests this'll be EXTRA simplified and casual with no care for inspiring aesthetics.

I wish they would quit skimping out on the visuals for the 2D Mario games, but as long as they keep making quality 3D titles full of wonder and surprise I guess I can't complain.

It's just kind of a shame that they treat the 2D games like small, inconsequential projects that don't "need" a bigger budget or better art direction. The original games were never any breakthroughs in visual design (I honestly think SMW is one of the ugliest Mario games ever), but it's never too late.

I'm pretty disappointed by the looks of this so far...same old crap. I want to be excited about a new Mario game again...Makes me hope that the recent rumblings of "Super Mario 4" could be a true return to form, and bring something new, or at the very least rip a bunch of ideas from Super Mario World for a change instead of draining SMB3's corpse any further.

Technically anything involving Yoshi is ripping something from Super Mario World.

9yMhYsJupniJKhmxvyDLZiYZdfo6-bDr.jpg

mskg7VCmaNl0ylpK_D1zmF47K8k5qSVX.jpg

4LLB6J5tTa3WduL1L8P7Pp3_1m88ZrL9.jpg

It looks a little better, plus this is a pick up and play on the go game, so I'm not expecting blow me away graphics. It interesting to see that the p meter only seems to appear while being Raccon Mario, unlike in Mario 3 where the p meter was there regardless of the power up.

Nintendo of America is only responsible for Nintendo news that pertains to North America. Nintendo's Europe division will be the one to announce when the games comes out in Europe.

• Thumbs Up 1

This one just really bothers me, it looks like the Spiders just weaved the webbing in thin air, defying gravity. It just looks pasted on there and not fitting into the environment at all. Even though it's just a nitpick.

• Thumbs Up 1

"New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series."

Que?

This one just really bothers me, it looks like the Spiders just weaved the webbing in thin air, defying gravity. It just looks pasted on there and not fitting into the environment at all. Even though it's just a nitpick.

Whoa, whoa, seriously your acting like you have never seen something similar. That's just complain for the sake of complaining.

• Thumbs Up 1

In a world where platforms suspend in mid-air, Cheep Cheeps can jump out of lava, doors lead to parallel dimensions, and pipes that clearly have a base still warp you somewhere, I don't doubt that the spiders have mastered the art of creating levitating webs.

• Thumbs Up 1

"New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series."

Que?

Loads of other favorite characters = koopa troopa, goomba, Bowser, etc