Awoo.

Ultimate Spider-man (cartoon)

Eternal EX

Alright folks it's rumor time: http://www.marveltvn...of-s-m-a-s-h-2/

Not saying it's completely legit, but it does have some facts I've heard about previously regarding both Ult. Spider-man and Agent's of S.M.A.S.H especially that part about their being reality show like moments. Do not want.

And this is why you don't green light a second season before the series has even premeired. Turns out people hate it, and production is too far invested in the thing to admit they screwed up. How do you give the go ahead for season 2 without even knowing if your audience will like the show or not?

Not that it really matters in this case, when you have them canceling AEMH, a series that is actually loved and bringing in the ratings. While at the same time continuing production on a series that is pretty much hated and not doing so well in the ratings. Where is the logic?

Gotta say the future isn't looking to bright for Marvel cartoons when you have practices like this happening.

Edited by Kamina

A lighter take in a Marvel series?

The fuck is this shit? No really. It kind of ruins the entire point of the Marvel franchise. If you wanted a series with a light hearted tone, go to Deadpool or Squirrel Girl. Spider-man is not that type of fucking series.

And this is why you don't green light a second season before the series has even premeired. Turns out people hate it, and production is too far invested in the thing to admit they screwed up. How do you give the go ahead for season 2 without even knowing if your audience will like the show or not?

Not that it really matters in this case, when you have them canceling AEMH, a series that is actually loved and bringing in the ratings. While at the same time continuing production on a series that is pretty much hated and not doing so well in the ratings. Where is the logic?

Gotta say the future isn't looking to bright for Marvel cartoons when you have practices like this happening.

The Mighty Kamina has spoken.

• Thumbs Up 1

Decided to try and watch the latest episode. At some points it showed real promise, but then of course a poorly timed gag was added just to ruin everything. The story wouldn't of even been that bad either if they'd actually attempted to put a shred of effort into making this series anything more than "kid-friendly".

Oh, and the voicing is terrible. Especially Spider-Man.

Spider-man is not that type of fucking series.

See I'm opposite here. I honestly believe much like Batman Spider-man can also be interpreted in any number of ways, including a lighter version. But in order for that to work we'd need a development team behind the scenes that get what Spider-man is all about, can grasp story structure, and can master consistency.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ok as of now I have officially given up on this show. It's truly a shame that something like this was made after the cancellation of spectacular.

It's like the hate for this show grows more and more everyday. I haven't even watched it yet and it sounds like I don't want to.

If you wanted a series with a light hearted tone, go to Deadpool or Squirrel Girl. Spider-man is not that type of fucking series.

Deadpool may be funny and break the fourth wall but he can be really dark and tragic too. I wouldn't put Deadpool of all characters as an example of who should have a light hearted series.

But on a more related note,I have to agree with Balding, Spider-Man can be interpreted in multiple ways. He can easily work in a light hearted series. The writers just have to get him. Just look at Brave and the Bold. that was a light hearted homage to the silver age comics and all their silliness and yet that show was good and well liked because the writers got the character.

It's like the hate for this show grows more and more everyday. I haven't even watched it yet and it sounds like I don't want to.

Basically, if you're a diehard Spider Man fan, you're probably going to hate this show.

Hey look kids it's Thor! Along with more fourth wall breaking!

I love how Spider-Man is a weakling that nobody respects.

No, really, it's fantastic. Please continue pissing on the character, Marvel. I'm loving it.

I havent seen a SINGLE epidode of this show and this board still depresses me, goddamn.

I tried to get behind this show I really did. But I just can't get past the bad jokes, the 4th wall breaking and the retarded character models they use in those moments. The main characters in this show aren't even remotely likable, and Spider-Man is really out of character.

Some of the voices even sound horribly miscast. I love the fact that they got JK Simmons to come back as Jameson, but damn its nothing but wasted potential on this garbage show. Drake Bell isn't the worst voice Spidey's ever had, but for some reason I just don't like it.

How does Marvel put out a Spider-Man show like this when we have awesome shows like The Legend of Korra, Young Justice, Transformers Prime, Thundercats, and their very own Avengers? All of which are far superior in writing and are being aimed at the same target audience. And to top it off they're canceling AEMH for a new Avengers series thats in the same style as Ultimate Spider-Man. It doesn't make any sense.

Did Marvel really think we would accept this crap after the awesomeness that was The Spectacular Spider-Man?

When Marvel first announced this show, they bragged about how awesome it was gonna be because it will be the first Spider-Man series made in house since they got the TV rights to the franchise back, and it was gonna have nothing but pure "Marvel DNA" in it. If you ask me I'd say the really dropped the ball here.

Edited by Kamina
  • Thumbs Up 4

I love how Spider-Man is a weakling that nobody respects.

No, really, it's fantastic. Please continue pissing on the character, Marvel. I'm loving it.

And to top it off they're canceling AEMH for a new Avengers series thats in the same style as Ultimate Spider-Man. It doesn't make any sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you freaking serious?!!! Oh Marvel, you've done really well with your Avengers movie and yet you screw up royally with your tv shows. What the Hell?!

To be fair, production on the second season of AEMH has been complete for awhile now. I think they were waiting to air it so it could launch with Ultimate Spider-Man, the Marvel Universe block, and to of course coincide with the Avengers movie.

But still, AEMH does pretty well in the ratings so instead of doing whats logical and just pick up where the they left off, they drop it in favor of a new dumbed down Avengers show.

If ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by Kamina

Are you freaking serious?!!! Oh Marvel, you've done really well with your Avengers movie and yet you screw up royally with your tv shows. What the Hell?!

Yeah I'm still trying to wrap my head around them dropping an Avengers cartoon to tie into the movies for an Avengers cartoon to tie into the movies.

Anyway you wanna know what's gonna kill me more then knowing theirs a dumber version of the Avengers on the way? The Hulk's not gonna be in the show, he's gonna be in SMASH and odds are he's gonna act like that dumbass Hulk from Ultimate Spider. Meaning he's not going to speak in complete sentences, smack talk, or have proper volume control.

PS: Oh and after the 13th episode Loeb and MOA are officially taking over the remaining episodes for the series. Meaning the remaining episodes are standalone episodes.

Edited by Balding Spider

They wern't standalone to begin with? I never really saw any connections between each of the episodes.

They wern't standalone to begin with? I never really saw any connections between each of the episodes.

Yeah, it's kinda like the thing the Batman animated series had going on. Every episode had it's own story. Only difference is that Batman did this the right way.

• Thumbs Up 1

PS: Oh and after the 13th episode Loeb and MOA are officially taking over the remaining episodes for the series. Meaning the remaining episodes are standalone episodes.

....You mean the Skrull arc isn't lasting the entire season?

....You mean the Skrull arc isn't lasting the entire season?

Nope, and what worries me is that we're supposed to be getting the Vision this season along with the return of Ultron later.

After the reaction in this topic, I'm kinda afraid to watch the rest of the series... I've only watched a few clips online and from what I've seen from the show's sense of humor, it makes Avatar: The Last Airbender's Nickelodeon humor comedic gold in comparison (AN OPINION FROM SOMEONE IN THE MINORITY THAT DIDN'T LIKE THAT SHOW'S SENSE OF HUMOR) and the Ferris Beuller style narratives kinda irked me in the first episode, so knowing that doesn't let up doesn't fill me with much confidence.

The animation's pretty nice from what I've seen, and honestly, actually kinda like it better than Spectacular Spider-man's... I just know I'm gonna get hatred for saying that. Besides, I am aware that just because it's animated well, it doesn't reflect the overall quality of the show.

If only they took a note from Teen Titans and Avatar when it came to the humor, and use it only when necessary... And not resort to Family Guy style cutaway gags. Seriously, those got old years and years ago.

Edited by Wayward Vagabond

Deadpool may be funny and break the fourth wall but he can be really dark and tragic too. I wouldn't put Deadpool of all characters as an example of who should have a light hearted series.

But on a more related note,I have to agree with Balding, Spider-Man can be interpreted in multiple ways. He can easily work in a light hearted series. The writers just have to get him. Just look at Brave and the Bold. that was a light hearted homage to the silver age comics and all their silliness and yet that show was good and well liked because the writers got the character.

See I'm opposite here. I honestly believe much like Batman Spider-man can also be interpreted in any number of ways, including a lighter version. But in order for that to work we'd need a development team behind the scenes that get what Spider-man is all about, can grasp story structure, and can master consistency.

So since I am going to bed, I might as well say something about this.

Why I say Spider-man can't be shown in a light hearted way like Batman and the Brave and the Bold or that weird Marvel Show is that he always dealt with serious adult issues. Sure he cracked jokes, and is all fun, but the theme of Great Responsibility falls a little flat when he is being all Silver Age(which by the way is why Marvel thrived). You want to know why Marvel is Marvel and DC is DC. Marvel took the flawless, paragon-like superheroes and gave them real world flaws. They essentially created the relate able super hero. Iron Man is genius playboy millionaire like Bruce Wayne, but is an alcoholic. Hulk has the strength of Super Man but endures uncontrollable rage. Thor may be godlike similar to Superman, but he cannot fit in with a world completely alien to him. And of all of this is exemplified with Spider-man. He is someone who constantly looking for a check, has a tumultuous romantic life, constantly doubts himself, and loved ones are affected by his super heroics i.e. people die. I want them to try to make Harry Osborne's addiction to drugs "light hearted." I want them to attempt to make Gwen Stacey's death and reaction to it "all jolly and sunshine." I dare them to recreate the death of Spider-man from the Ultimate Universe and try to make it a jolly ol' affair with sunshine and rainbows and shit. What I am trying to say that making Spider-man lighthearted takes away everything the series exemplifies. The reason why one can make Batman BatB is because the Silver Age comics in DC. Sure, there have been light hearted Spider-man comic series(Spider-man loves Mary Jane) and there has been one light hearted show that was decent(Spider-man and his Amazing Friends), but come on. We are seeing light hearted Spider-man in this show and it has proven to be so unlike Spider-man that it shows.

• Thumbs Up 3

The animation's pretty nice from what I've seen, and honestly, actually kinda like it better than Spectacular Spider-man's... I just know I'm gonna get hatred for saying that. Besides, I am aware that just because it's animated well, it doesn't reflect the overall quality of the show.

No your pretty cool with that statement the animation team is pretty damned steller we can all agree on that. too bad their talents are being wasted on this crap...

Alright folks it's rumor time: http://www.marveltvn...of-s-m-a-s-h-2/

Not saying it's completely legit, but it does have some facts I've heard about previously regarding both Ult. Spider-man and Agent's of S.M.A.S.H especially that part about their being reality show like moments. Do not want.

Yeah, I'm gonna take this one with a fairly hefty grain of salt. To paraphrase jph139 on the Toonzone forums, that "report" reads like a checklist of anti-USM talking points rather than actual news. It just sounds like a bunch of fans being overdramatic like "Ooh, Paul Dini is being ordered around by Loeb and Marvel who have no idea how terrible their show is and it's dooming the company and Avengers is so much better and they're holding Avengers back to make USM look better!"

The Hulk's not gonna be in the show, he's gonna be in SMASH and odds are he's gonna act like that dumbass Hulk from Ultimate Spider. Meaning he's not going to speak in complete sentences, smack talk, or have proper volume control.

You mean he's going to act like the same Hulk that's been fairly common in pop culture and is used in every other animated series and movie barring Avengers: EMH and Planet Hulk? ROOINED FOREVUR. :P Don't get me wrong, I prefer Hulk being fairly intelligent, too (Heck, EMH's version is my favorite for that reason), but I see nothing wrong with using the Hulk that pop culture is more familiar with. Heck, the recent Avengers movie used him.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

So since I am going to bed, I might as well say something about this.

Why I say Spider-man can't be shown in a light hearted way like Batman and the Brave and the Bold or that weird Marvel Show is that he always dealt with serious adult issues. Sure he cracked jokes, and is all fun, but the theme of Great Responsibility falls a little flat when he is being all Silver Age(which by the way is why Marvel thrived). You want to know why Marvel is Marvel and DC is DC. Marvel took the flawless, paragon-like superheroes and gave them real world flaws. They essentially created the relate able super hero. Iron Man is genius playboy millionaire like Bruce Wayne, but is an alcoholic. Hulk has the strength of Super Man but endures uncontrollable rage. Thor may be godlike similar to Superman, but he cannot fit in with a world completely alien to him. And of all of this is exemplified with Spider-man. He is someone who constantly looking for a check, has a tumultuous romantic life, constantly doubts himself, and loved ones are affected by his super heroics i.e. people die. I want them to try to make Harry Osborne's addiction to drugs "light hearted." I want them to attempt to make Gwen Stacey's death and reaction to it "all jolly and sunshine." I dare them to recreate the death of Spider-man from the Ultimate Universe and try to make it a jolly ol' affair with sunshine and rainbows and shit. What I am trying to say that making Spider-man lighthearted takes away everything the series exemplifies. The reason why one can make Batman BatB is because the Silver Age comics in DC. Sure, there have been light hearted Spider-man comic series(Spider-man loves Mary Jane) and there has been one light hearted show that was decent(Spider-man and his Amazing Friends), but come on. We are seeing light hearted Spider-man in this show and it has proven to be so unlike Spider-man that it shows.

While you do make a pint of Marvel being Marvel and DC being DC, just because a show is lighthearted doesn't mean it can't deal with adult issues. Brave and the Bold dealed with a good number of adult issues and a pretty good number of deaths. Hell, they've shown people die on screen more than once in the same episode and seemed to be trying to keep Batman's origin as dark as possible. If they made a Brave and the Bold like show for Spider-Man it wouldn't have to be all rainbows and sunshine because Brave and the Bold, unlike Ultimate Spider-Man, knew when to deal with a dark and serious issue and to keep it dark and serious. If BatB could get away with onscreen deaths then there's no reason that a show in the same style for Spider-Man would have to handle stuff like Gwen's death by making it "all sunshines and rainbows.".

Just because one lighthearted take on the character is bad doesn't mean it can't work. It just has to be done well and be made by people who don't believe in the Animation Age Ghetto like Joseph Leob does and by people who actually get the character.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond