Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Incorrect. Its right in the options menu.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Whoops, my mistake. It was under the Controls Tutorial option toggle the whole time. I honestly forgot that until just now; then again, I never really tampered with the Options Menu. Ah well.

Nope, unfortunately, it doesn't. Sonic Colors, on the other hand, did have this option for its warning signs..

Looks like you never went to your options screen:

aassdd1.png

I can't make it out that well, but what I'm hearing of the music sounds much better than Sylvania Castle Zone. It sounds poppy and twinkly and carnival-ly!

Awesome Stuff! Lol DAT DEATH! xD

The music at White Park sounds to winter-ly and carnival-ly. Love it.

Acts are pretty bigger like Kenesis said. He did 3:31 at finishing White Part Act 1 and in Sylvania Castle he tried to blast through as fast as he can and he got close to 2 minutes with one death...well to be expected it is the first act of the game.

Edited by frokenok3

Best footage from the game I've seen so far. I'm glad to see a player who doesn't suck.

There are some physics oddities that make it plainly obvious that the 'new' engine is just a modified E1, like the way he skids up a slope, but in general they look a lot better. Lots of rolling.

*obligatory raging about springs and boosters, cause they're EVERYWHERE*

• Thumbs Up 2

In the Sylvania Castle half of the vid, I have never see such an ungodly level of homing attack spammage. It screws him over most of the times anyway. Also rolling picks up speed, yay!

Wow...

That looked....somewhat enjoyable....

Dat Rolling.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, that video got me super stoked for the game. So many cool effects, like the White Park lamp post banners moving as you run past them, character shadows on the walls, the platform moving in and out of the castle wall in Sylvania Castle and all the White Park snowballs growing as you roll them.

Physics look much better. I laughed at the dude spamming the jump dash and failing. I noted a lot of alternate routes, plus I'm very interested to see what Red Rings do. Perhaps thats the next reveal?

Haha, when that guy was playing Sylvania Castle Zone, you could tell he was trying to speed-run, but it obviously didn't work as the level design does NOT compliment spamming of the homing attack. Sorry bro, but Episode 1 this ain't.

The Combo Roll Attack that Sonic and Tails use seems a bit slower than I remember it. This is certainly a good thing, as it'll put to rest the comparisons to the boost. Like Blue Blood said, there are definitely a few nuances that indicate that it was built up from Episode 1... so its a new engine in the sense that the physics have been modified heavily, but that's about where the differences end. I'm actually kind of glad that this is the case, because it implies that these physics changes can be ported over to Episode 1 on Steam by the hackers.

The music in White Park Zone: Act 1 is actually pretty catchy. The main melody is stuck in my head, even though it was fighting off background noise like nobody's business. But thanks to that, my expectations of the soundtrack are lifted quite a bit. Perhaps Sylvania Castle Zone: Act 1 was just a dud amongst successes.

And that death near the end was priceless.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Hm, you don't bounce off the wheels when you spindash on top of them anymore.

Crusher deaths while riding seemingly harmless moving platforms? This has more to do with classic Sonic than I once thought!

Seriously though that looked like a lot of fun. I've got a few gripes, but I really can't single this game out as doing anything wrong that any other Sonic game in recent history hasn't.

I think I liked the way White Park looked more in terms of level design. It's booster heavy but I liked the co-op mechanics.

I also liked the part a couple minutes later where the guy jumped past the speed booster intended to shoot you through the loop and just sorta walked (relative term) through the loop anyway.

The water effects are pretty, though.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

What amazing physics! Definitely an improvement over Ep 1!

http://youtu.be/AwSDwRlgImE?t=3m9s

Whenever there is a new Sonic game, I am one of the most optimistic people on this board.

This however could Pinkie Pie demand a drink of apple cider.

I think it looks alright.... Well that responce seems to be all well in order...

anyone at PAX so they can pick me up some free stuff?

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually think it looks quite nice. I can certainly say that I'm colored excited! biggrin.png

There really isn't anything to complain about I think, all the complaints seem minor and I can overlook them...

Edited by Wooly-Rolls
  • Thumbs Up 8

Level design is shite, but physics are good.

Sonic Team, bring your Generations Classic level designers up in here. Add some more curves and wham, good game.

That and have a proper music division. One guy, is not enough. Jun Senoue can crack out a brilliant track for a given level, for instance Mad Gear (all acts), but can't do an entire soundtrack by himself. And allow use of proper instruments, that I think will deal with half the problems.

Edited by Scar

For whatever reason, the homing attack seems really out of place in these videos to me; now that the physics are improving, reliance on homing attacks should be lessening. That's my take anyway.

A decent replacement could be a Sonic & Tails combo move a la the Rolling 69, involving Tails batting Sonic at a target with a swing of his tails. It wouldn't be used as often and would make Tails seem more useful.

• Thumbs Up 3

Blaaaaand, it's so bland it hurts.
Yeah, that's the same sense I get. Like, even if they've buffed out most of E1's biggest mistakes, there's just nothing interesting here. They aren't doing anything interesting with Sonic's abilities, they just throw him around the level, make him homing attack a few things and jump a few times.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Now that I've been watching the game more and more, I actually think it looks quite good. Maybe....JUST MAYBE....it's good enough to be called sonic 4?

And am I the only one that thinks that the snow boulder pushing in White acropolis takes the game to a screeching halt? Seriously, I hate that.