Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Can I reignite an old Generations argument here? You know how lots of people said that Classic was young and Modern was older? How does that make sense with Metal Sonic? Sure, people said he'd been updated over time and that was plausible before... but that doesn't make any sense if he's been in Stardust Speedway this whole time, away from Eggman. Cause you know, it's his modern design in this game. YAY FOR IT CAN'T BE AGES! inb4 it's just something they neglected to think about

Anyway, I actually like like the prospect of Stardust Speedway being back. Long before the game was announced even, I said it would be the one stage I'd happily welcome. Just kinda wish we didn't have any rehashes in this game...

Edited by Blue Blood

Can I reignite an old Generations argument here? You know how lots of people said that Classic was young and Modern was older? How does that make sense with Metal Sonic? Sure, people said he'd been updated over time and that was plausible before... but that doesn't make any sense if he's been in Stardust Speedway this whole time, away from Eggman. Cause you know, it's his modern design in this game. YAY FOR IT CAN'T BE AGES! inb4 it's just something they neglected to think about

Anyway, I actually like like the prospect of Stardust Speedway being back. Long before the game was announced even, I said it would be the one stage I'd happily welcome. Just kinda wish we didn't have any rehashes in this game...

I always thought that Sonic's change in appearance wasn't something that was supposed to have canonically happened. In Generations it was just there as fourth wall-breaking fan service. According to official profiles, Sonic's the same age/older in the original games, isn't he?

EDIT: If I can add to that, Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic, outside of Generations, are supposed to be the same height: 100cm, or 3 ft 3 inches. They were represented as being short and tall because there's a percieved difference. I feel like it's kind of the same case with people thinking their ages were different.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 3

Except for those who bought it on Wii sad.png I didn't, but I do feel bad for those who did.

Like I did, since I didn't own a PS3 or 360 at the time. Now I'm screwed out of a chunk of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how everyone was enjoying the trailer so much that they overlooked the Dubstep music. tongue.png

No one cares about dub step. XP

I'm a bit ticked that I have to get Epi. 1 for Metal. I only have enough cash on my PS3 for Epi. 2 >.> I has no monies~~.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except for those who bought it on Wii sad.png I didn't, but I do feel bad for those who did.

How do you think I feel, I bought Episode I on my Wii so if I want to play this I got to get Episode I again in addition to Episode II. Dammit, why couldn't I have gotten my PS3 a year before.

Also, at least they're attempting some actual continuity now, even if it is faulty at best. I appreciate the effort.

Would I be judged negatively if I said that I actually like how the Desert Oil-Rig Zone looks? I ask this because, honestly, I do like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I am mixed.

Trailer looks ok, and metal looks like he may not be a clone of sonic in ep.1, At least it's free, though I wish it was Tails instead. Dissapointing.

And no Komo, it's your opinion, why would you get negativity for it?

Oil zone looks nice.

(sorry for bad grammar, typing a post on the phone is hell.)

Would I be judged negatively if I said that I actually like how the Desert Oil-Rig Zone looks? I ask this because, honestly, I do like it.

It's definitely a fairly interesting stage. Could've done with less Oil Ocean and more Dust Hill, but it's a'ight. Not to mention all the Badniks there genuinely do look cool.

Shame the game is still bad.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I must say I do think the Desert stage looks interesting what with the Tails flying segments, giant sandworms and vertical climbing while being chased by sand section. Ought to be a good way to mix things up

Even if it is the best stage in ep2, by say having more platforming and interesting segments, I'll probably hate the zone because, I just hate desert levels.

Hoping only one act is desert.

Orbinaut now has lazers. Looks pretty badass.

It feels like all they did was spend the last year creating new visual assets and then just gently skinned them over the top a prototype of Episode II they had; to quote Blue Peter, made earlier. It certainly looks like it.

Edited by Scar

EDIT: Never mind, found one. & holy shit, that desert construction place looks epic! & that SANDWORM.... MASSIVE!!

Edited by Hyper-Shan

Looks pretty friendly in these parts...

> Stardust Speedway is Bad Future

> Sonic didn't save Little Planet

> Eggman won Sonic CD

Well he is technically taking over little planet again, so that will more or less negate that.

Also I'm still buying this for Steve, he's co-oping with me whether or not he wants to 8|

Anyway I'll be picking this up on the 360 first since I've been given a wonderful amount of points as a gift earlier.

Edited by Jetronic

I think it looks fun.

Yes, I am saying that I see this being a fun game, co-op adding to that, and I honestly don't know why people are complaining about new stages skinned after episode 1 that are free. And yes they are new stages, the bits of level design we see for Metal do not actually appear in episode 1. Their obviously the same template, but their free so I don't really mind. I wish they would of done something like that for Metal Sonic in Adventure DX.

Is it going to be perfect? Of course not. But I long ago accepted this is a Dimps title with online co-op, and you know what? I'm alright with that.

You all are welcome to talk about this somehow being the stupidest thing you've ever seen or whatever. I just am honestly surprised so many of you are blowing up the faults this game may (or in some cases even, may not) have to such dramatic proportions. Not that I fully blame you, I don't think this should be titled Sonic 4. But I also don't think this game look horrendous, or even really bad. Misguided maybe, but despite that I can bet you it'll still be fun.

EDIT: I also know the reception on it is mixed, I'm still reading through the topic, but I heard about the news from a friend, looked for the trailer and read the first page people were posting about it with extreme almost unbelivable negativity, and the newest (this) page seemed like it wasn't resolved by now.

Given the last few days I have been playing some terrible games for some videos and this games looks leagues better than any of those.

Edited by Agent York
  • Thumbs Up 7

Hey, did anyone notice that Episode Metal uses the Episode 2 HUD?

mmmmu.png

At least they're making SOME improvements, as minor as they may be.

Also, I can't see how you don't like this. Having a booster ON TOP of a loop is revolutionary!

Now, all we need is to have loops on top of dashpads and we'll be set.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, did anyone notice that Episode Metal uses the Episode 2 HUD?

mmmmu.png

At least they're making SOME improvements, as minor as they may be.

Also, I can't see how you don't like this. Having a booster ON TOP of a loop is revolutionary!

Now, all we need is to have loops on top of dashpads and we'll be set.

I always thought it would be awesome to have a corkscrew loop. Just imagine...

I nearly posted this as it's own topic... then decided not to... so I'm posting it here instead.

=====

I was re-watching the gamespot footage again and I noticed something when it got to the Episode Metal section of the new trailer.

That being... it sounds like it's not just a 'play as metal Sonic through episode 1' But it the trailer makes it out to be it's own stand alone story/episode about what happened to Metal Sonic after Sonic CD and before Episode 2.

Take a look at the segment again, and watch whats shown carefully.

First thing we see is Stardust Speedway, and we see Metal Sonic on the ground, Eggman, presumably brings him back to life.

Well... if thats the case, then already the events here are seperate to Episode 2, and possibly take place either after or just at the start of episode 1. Whilst we see Metal Sonic in Episode 1 it's not until the very end of the game and it's not clear as to when specifically Eggman went to get him. Naturally we assume it's after the end final stage of episode 1. Only did the actual 'revival' take place much earlier.

Regardless... We see the bolt of lightning hit metal, now if you excuse the obvious plothole from both Sonic CD and Generations, that metal is fully intact. Would this not signify in terms of a story 'Eggman revives Metal Sonic?'

Then we see a clip of what looks like Splash Hill and that urm... Indianna Jones level...

But look what comes after, we then get the image of Metal Sonic and the words 'Episode Metal' not anything like 'play as Metal Sonic' which is what happened with Tails in Sonic CD, they made the distinction that it was just the extra character and not a stand alone story.

Now look what comes up.

It says four exclusive levels & Discover the Rebirth of Metal Sonic.

Alright, so we're all assuming that the exclusive levels are just episode 1 stages with a few alterations here and there. Ok fine, but the line discover the rebirth of metal Sonic. This sounds like it's trying to be it's own story doesn't it? We've seen how it starts, Eggman's lightning bolt.

Not to mention, ever since episode 2 was announced we've had the whole 'where does Sonic CD fit/what happened in between' lines coming from Sega.

Whilst Ken goes off on one about the Lock On technology, just ignore him for a moment and look at the actual material thats been cleared to be shown, everything from that suggests that this isn't lock on or anything at all to do with it, but it's own unique storyline. The adverts in the trailer say no such thing, they all say 'episode.' Now had Ken not done his interview and mentioned Lock On, chances are this wouldn't have got the reaction it did.

With other games, we sometimes get DLC which isn't about the main hero. In Enslaved, theres DLC in which you play as a character called Pigsy, it's set before hte main game. Red Faction Armageddon also has a similar DLC.

I don't think we should be looked at this as our 'lock on' but looking at is as it's own story seperate from the main events of episode 2. That being, the missing link between Sonic CD and episode 1/2 that Sega have been hammering on about for the last few months...

Well I'm hungry so I'm off to make a sandwich now.

• Thumbs Up 9

Interesting analysis, Hogfather. I'm actually kind of excited to see where they go with this. Do you think these "4 exclusive levels" are there to replace the boss acts, since having Metal Sonic fight Eggman would be kind of silly?

Interesting analysis, Hogfather. I'm actually kind of excited to see where they go with this. Do you think these "4 exclusive levels" are there to replace the boss acts, since having Metal Sonic fight Eggman would be kind of silly?

DOH! I knew there was something I forgot to mention.

Yeah, thats another thing Ithought was odd, the badniks... yes I can sorta understand him fighting those. But Eggman himself? erm... can't see it, unless they remove the boss fights totally... or we get that old eggrobo back.

If it starts to look like Episode Metal is a stand alone story, it might be worth topic of it's own. Only after todays reaction I didn't dare risk it.

• Thumbs Up 2

...maybe the will GUN robots return? tongue.png

I'd rather it be Eggmans machines... Piloted by the E-series robots!

You shouldn't give 2 flying shits what anybody else thinks about you because of your opinion. I actually think it looks pretty damn awesome.

If the physics are at least Episode II quality and the level design is altered to fit them, I don't see how this is a problem.

Also, for the record, the trailer makes the sand zone's level design look pretty fun, in all honesty. I'm no advocate for this game or anything, the initial reveals had me pretty disappointed, but these new announcements seem pretty cool, and actually have me somewhat excited to play the game at the very least.