Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Sonic 4 isn't NEARLY as hated as you think...from a causal perspective they liked it and it sold very well on XBL. If anything it helped Sonic gain recognition.

While the quality of E2 depends how you look at it from a fan perspective....the game is leaps and bound better than the first already with a lot of major nit picks already proven fixed. This game will selll....

It will sell very well.

Even though Episode 2 is still better then it's predecessor(In ways more or less then to different people), Episode 1 to some was maybe a warning to tell others to stay away from future installments. Hell since IGN put Episode 1 in their Top ten gaming dissapointment's of 2010, that's an example.

It will still be a commercial success, at least in Sega's eyes anyway, but I don't think it will Sell as much as episode 1 did. Since some people didn't know what to expect for episode 1, they bought it anyway. Probably just because the name "SAWNIC HEADHAWG FOOR" was in the title, or just because it was a new 2D console Sonic game.

Edited by Mephiles550

Upload inteview with Ken:

Gotta clean out your PM box Woun tongue.png

you can start posting those there now instead of the screenshots and videos topic.

....I actually really like what I'm seeing here. It's got a few little flaws, but I think the good points here overshadow the bad.

Lock on technology back in 1994 was simply stunning. S3&K had a better story and made more sense than playing Sonic 3 and S&K separately.

What would really be cool is if you could play Episode Metal first before you even play Episode 2 as Sonic and Tails - I will do that if I can.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Edit: Also I wish Jun Senoue would just retire by now. The fuck was that?

Why?

Though I agree, he shouldn't really being doing Sonic 4 (its obviousl he's not playing to his strengths), his work elsewhere is just fine. The stuff he did in Generations barring Green Hill, was all pretty excellent. Chem Plant Modern being the stand-out (yeah its divisive, but its perhaps the most unique interpretation of that song, that perfectly fits the aesthetics of the modern stage). Sky Sanctuary was also pretty boss.

Let him stick to the stuff he knows, and let him work with a group of other composers.

Edited by Scar

Why?

Though I agree, he shouldn't really being doing Sonic 4 (its obviousl he's not playing to his strengths), his work elsewhere is just fine. The stuff he did in Generations barring Green Hill, was all pretty excellent. Chem Plant Modern being the stand-out (yeah its divisive, but its perhaps the most unique interpretation of that song, that perfectly fits the aesthetics of the modern stage). Sky Sanctuary was also pretty boss.

I didn't really like Modern Chemical Plant's music (though hence why you said it's divisive). It's far too slow paced for what's one of the fastest paced stages in the game. Chemical Plant has always been about speed (hence why its gimmick in the classics was speed boosters) and it had a heart pumping tune to go with it. I dunno, Modern Chemical Plant's music does nothing for me personally and I honestly think it's the worst incarnation of Chemical Plant I've heard.

I also really liked Modern Green Hill's music. Now that was heart pumping, especially the boost mix. Too bad the stage itself was the weakest of the Modern stages.

I do agree with you though, there's no reason for Jun Senoue to retire.

Eh, he has to up his game for Sonic 4. Not counting remixes and vocal songs he hasn't really done anything since Shadow. For the rare times he does do original work, I expect it to be much better than what he's giving and I actually like most of Sonic 4's track.

While I like the melody for Sylvania Castle, I find it very disappointing that it doesn't fit the ruins section. He should of composed it as a ruins level, not a "Start of Adventure" level. I don't know who gave the restriction in music, but it was incredibly stupid. The music can sound classic, even with normal instruments at disposal. Just look at most of Adventure's music.

Eh, he has to up his game for Sonic 4. Not counting remixes and vocal songs he hasn't really done anything since Shadow. For the rare times he does do original work, I expect it to be much better than what he's giving and I actually like most of Sonic 4's track.

Err, Black Knight and the Rivals games?

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't really like Modern Chemical Plant's music (though hence why you said it's divisive). It's far too slow paced for what's one of the fastest paced stages in the game. Chemical Plant has always been about speed (hence why its gimmick in the classics was speed boosters) and it had a heart pumping tune to go with it. I dunno, Modern Chemical Plant's music does nothing for me personally and I honestly think it's the worst incarnation of Chemical Plant I've heard.

That's where the division comes from. People think its too slow. I think it perfectly suits the stage's aesthetics, kind of dark, gritty and heavy. Its nothing like the original in terms of pacing, but IMO, that's its strength. Its unique, unlike most other remixes and unlike what most were expecting. Plus, I love the main Chorus of the track with that sexy guitar riff.

Personally, I never found the original Chemical Plant to be heart-pumping or particularly fast paced. It just worked with the aesthetics of the stage. Kind of like how I think Modern Chemical Plant works with the aesthetics of its respective stage, which is radically different to that of the original.

Its divisive, but at least it does something.

I also really liked Modern Green Hill's music. Now that was heart pumping, especially the boost mix. Too bad the stage itself was the weakest of the Modern stages.

I thought it was just OK. The Boost Mode version is sufficiently fast paced enough and I prefer it to the standard version.

While I like the melody for Sylvania Castle, I find it very disappointing that it doesn't fit the ruins section. He should of composed it as a ruins level, not a "Start of Adventure" level. I don't know who gave the restriction in music, but it was incredibly stupid. The music can sound classic, even with normal instruments at disposal. Just look at most of Adventure's music.

Yeah, that bugs me. Makes me wonder though....was Episode II always supposed to be like this, or did they start out with something similar to Episode I, but then changed it when they realised we weren't exactly happy with the way E1 turned out. The way the level design is constructed, it seems almost identical to the prototypical Episode I stage, just with better graphics and badniks. Feels like most of the extra year they spent on E2 was just to create the improved visuals. With little to effort being put into redesigning and restructuring the level design and possibly even the soundtrack (which may have already been composed with E1's style in mind)

This is all just speculation though, and as it stands Slyvania Castle Act 1, whist decent, doesn't suit the visual design at all.

PushSquare: PAX Impressions

http://www.pushsquar...hog_4_episode_2

We're not quite ready to brand Sonic 4: Episode 2 a resounding success, but it feels more confident in its shoes than Episode 1 did. Maybe it's a manner of expectations; a lot of weight was on Episode 1 to earn that dubious "4," and all Episode 2 has to do is be better than Episode 1. Sonic has had his share of ups and downs — with Episode 1 being particularly divisive — but it's good to see him back on his feet.

Forgot to mention this yesterday, but I noticed the title screen still uses sprites in the White Park/Sylvania Castle video. The animation looked kind of choppy to me. Wonder why they're keeping it that way, instead of doing it like Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

Someones playthrough.... not the best camera work in the world but a decent run... also at 0:46, I wonder if it's possible to actually skip that co-op section since he seemed to be going fast enough to miss it had he known the level layout better.

Game looks great, except for the speed boosters which look uglier than ever and the weird platforms in Sylvania Castle.

• Thumbs Up 2

You no longer bounce off the stage alteration wheels... Sega...

I. AM. DISAPPOINT.

Edited by Wooly-Rolls
  • Thumbs Up 2

You no longer bounce off the stage alteration wheels... Sega...

I. AM. DISAPPOINT.

Honestly, I can't say I'm disappointed by this. I mean, did that actually have an effect on the gameplay in Sonic 3?

Honestly, I can't say I'm disappointed by this. I mean, did that actually have an effect on the gameplay in Sonic 3?

It was a cool detail that showed how much thought was put into everything. S4 doesn't have that in any area. Even E2 is just sort of bunged together.

> Blue spindash wheel from Sonic 3 is in S4E2

> REHASH

> Blue spindash wheel from Sonic 3 doesn't function the same in S4E2

> I AM DISAPPOINTED

That's what I'm getting from those complaints.

Not so sure it was an entirely serious complaint anyway. But you know, the point still stands about S4 not having any heart in it.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

Speed boosters are still really bothering me. Not just because of how frequent they are, but because of how bland, generic and disgustingly huge they are. Whatever happened to the unique kinds of speed booster from the Classics? I know we haven't had that in a Sonic game since the Advance and to an extent the Rush games but it would be nice to see them back. Or at least make the speed boosts and their locations smaller and more practical (again, like in the Advance games).

> Blue spindash wheel from Sonic 3 is in S4E2

> REHASH

> Blue spindash wheel from Sonic 3 doesn't function the same in S4E2

> I AM DISAPPOINTED

That's what I'm getting from those complaints.

• Thumbs Up 2

At 1:56 onwards... lots of Sonic footage. Quality isn't that great and for some reason the video won't load very well for me, but you lot might have more luck.

Notice how you can't 'bounce' off badniks when you do that co-op spin attack.

At 1:56 onwards... lots of Sonic footage. Quality isn't that great and for some reason the video won't load very well for me, but you lot might have more luck.

Hmm... Here's a thing to think about. The twin attack really doesn't seem to be affected by momentum, but speeds up gradually.

They could fix the "it's just a boost" problem by having the combo spin attack be much heavier than it is in the current build. You don't look much heavier when in that form, but you'd think you would be about twice as heavy. Which you aren't... Being much heavier would make you speed up on downward slopes, but at the same time drastically slow you down on upward slopes, so doing the combo attack wouldn't really be helpful to your speed, but still be much more powerful...

Oh yeah, and it last WAY to long! :U

Oh yeah, and it last WAY to long! :U

This is my main complaint about those moves. Had he not been stopped at the Marble Zone door, how long do you think he could have remained in that form?

Theres just no negative reason to use that move. At least do something like drain rings or some kind of energy bar. Just something so that it's not twin to win.'

• Thumbs Up 6