Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

So, I just read the new Naruto, Bleach and One Piece chapters.

Kubo, Kubo, Kubo. Bleach never fails to amaze me in how that, after being in a blatant downward spiral for years now, it still manages to get progressively worse week on week. It just feels like it's turned into some generic high-school series now.

One Piece is just One Piece (decent fun, so long as you throw out any hopes for actual plot progression and enjoy the journey rather than the destination), and Naruto is freaking epic again, still,

and the war hasn't really even started properly yet

Didn't feel like making a topic for it, and this seemed like a pretty good place for it.

I wish that that new Fist of the North Star game had been made by Team Ninja instead of the dynasty warriors people.

Well I just finished Bebop. You know that feeling when you watch the end of something amazing? And you know that it was one of the best out there and now you'll be hard pressed to find anything that can compare? Then you think, "Wow, most anime really are shitty." (but watch more shit anyway)? I'm feeling that.

I was surprised, but despite knowing how the show ended (does anyone not know? Seriously) it still made me cry. I'm such a pansy. Although I was much more saddened about Ed and Ein.

Not much to say about the show... everything worth saying is pretty much common knowledge at this point. But this is definitely one of my favorites. Maybe number one.

Can't wait to watch the movie!

Well I just finished Bebop. You know that feeling when you watch the end of something amazing? And you know that it was one of the best out there and now you'll be hard pressed to find anything that can compare? Then you think, "Wow, most anime really are shitty." (but watch more shit anyway)? I'm feeling that.

I was surprised, but despite knowing how the show ended (does anyone not know? Seriously) it still made me cry. I'm such a pansy. Although I was much more saddened about Ed and Ein.

Not much to say about the show... everything worth saying is pretty much common knowledge at this point. But this is definitely one of my favorites. Maybe number one.

Can't wait to watch the movie!

Samurai Champloo. Watch that and you will be fine.

Remz, I honestly feel like I am the only person on Earth who prefers Samurai Champloo over Cowboy Bebop. I mean maybe because the show combines three of my favorite things together and makes it awesome. I don't know. I just feel like I am in a minority.

Edited by turbojet

I'd probably say that I like Champloo more, but I can say that they are pretty damn close. It probably helps that Champloo isn't nearly as depressing in the end. Then again, the lack of a kick ass movie like Bebop had balances that out somewhat.

Edited by Tornado

I'd probably say that I like Champloo more, but I can say that they are pretty damn close. It probably helps that Champloo isn't nearly as depressing in the end. Then again, the lack of a kick ass movie like Bebop had balances that out somewhat.

It is not like I think Bebop is just a complete waste of time compared to Champloo. It's just that Champloo establishes the plot at the very first episode so you never get thrown off about the sudden seriousness thrown in at the middle of the series. We know that Fuu wanted to find some Sunflower Samurai and that was the goal. Bebop never alluded to Spike's issues until like the middle of the series. I need to rewatch it to be sure, but I am damn sure that it was not that consistent. Also, Nujabes and awesome rap made Champloo made favorite anime of the two. Honestly, Champloo and Bebop will always be in my top 20.

Edited by turbojet

Bebop never alluded to Spike's issues until like the middle of the series.

I'm pretty sure that they popped up a lot earlier than that. They just weren't major plot drivers until after the halfway point.

Though I get your point.

Edited by Tornado

I'm pretty sure that they popped up a lot earlier than that. They just weren't major plot drivers until after the halfway point.

Though I get your point.

P&S Episode 7 was really great, I got those Episode 4 vibes again of focusing more on the humor above the innuendo which instead was this time handled alot more cleverly.

So I guess Gainax are going with the "plot-dedicated episodes" approach on this series with more breather episodes in between, which is pretty clever. Scanty and Kneesocks are pretty much confirmed for being the Goldfish Poop Gang of the show after this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Transformers fans are gonna love this week's episode of Panty and Stocking, lol.

Fun episode btw.

To put my mind off of...that video.. *shudder* I've been watching Chi's Sweet Home. Aaaaaaiiiiee it's so SWEET indeed! And cute and ahhhh~ *melts*

Seriously, this is the cutest anime I've ever seen. <333 I must watch all of it!!

PS: What's this Panty & Stocking anime? If it's by Gainax it should be really good but..what is it about? Oh no not another fan service anime~ XP

Yeah, the plot getting thrown into Bebop was a little awkward at times. But it was only like what, five episodes? The first mention of Spike's involvement with the Red Dragon was episode 5 or something and then there was just Jupiter Jazz and The Real Folk Blues. You could see it coming since it was always two parts. Although I felt like Faye's past was fleshed out more to be honest. I didn't feel as bad about Spike's death as I did about how she would feel because of it.

One thing that I'm wondering about though, I remember back when I started Tornado mentioned that

learning that Spike saw the past and present at the same time

was the main reason to rewatch the show but I'm not quite seeing why. It worked as an explanation for why he cared so much about his past but it's not like a big revelation that completely changes how I look at the show. Unless I'm just missing something.

Also Blue is pretty much one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

To put my mind off of...that video.. *shudder* I've been watching Chi's Sweet Home. Aaaaaaiiiiee it's so SWEET indeed! And cute and ahhhh~ *melts*

Seriously, this is the cutest anime I've ever seen. <333 I must watch all of it!!

PS: What's this Panty & Stocking anime? If it's by Gainax it should be really good but..what is it about? Oh no not another fan service anime~ XP

I love Chi's Sweet Home! I agree, and it's definitely one of the cuter anime I've seen. I totally want this Chi plush!

Panty and Stocking is about these two angels who were kicked out of heaven due to their bad behavior. They are sent to Daten City where they have to destroy these ghost to earn Heaven Coins in order to get back to heaven.

It does have some fan service in it, but it's done in a way where it's really funny and not in just for the sake of being in like High School of the Dead. I suggest you watch an episode or two and see if you like it or not.

Edited by Kevin

Yeah, the plot getting thrown into Bebop was a little awkward at times. But it was only like what, five episodes? The first mention of Spike's involvement with the Red Dragon was episode 5 or something and then there was just Jupiter Jazz and The Real Folk Blues. You could see it coming since it was always two parts. Although I felt like Faye's past was fleshed out more to be honest. I didn't feel as bad about Spike's death as I did about how she would feel because of it.

It's not like they didn't allude to it at all before. It was brief mentions that could have meant anything. By the time, you get to the final stretch, shit comes down like a ton of bricks. It goes from,"Collect and fail to collect the bouny of the week," to "Holy shit WTF just happened," a little too quickly for my taste. Spike getting into an ultra serious conflict like that caught me way off guard. I am not saying Bebop sucks. It's awesome. It was just that point that threw me for a loop. I still prefer Samurai Champloo over it just because the plot was more fleshed out over the span of the series.

I was never a Bebop fan. I could never catch the plot personally and it just wasn't my cup of tea. I did like Samurai Champloo however. I enjoyed it like turbojet said, the plot was more fleshed out and personally I liked its action and animation style better.

Now watch as all the Cowboy Bebop fans come and beat me into a bloody pulp.

It's not like they didn't allude to it at all before. It was brief mentions that could have meant anything. By the time, you get to the final stretch, shit comes down like a ton of bricks. It goes from,"Collect and fail to collect the bouny of the week," to "Holy shit WTF just happened," a little too quickly for my taste. Spike getting into an ultra serious conflict like that caught me way off guard. I am not saying Bebop sucks. It's awesome. It was just that point that threw me for a loop. I still prefer Samurai Champloo over it just because the plot was more fleshed out over the span of the series.

I got the same vibes about it, but I think this is a cultural difference more than anything else. I read somewhere that the overall story of Bebop was... generic? No, I suppose archetypal is a better way to describe it. Like how Shonen is a genre with a wide variety of stuff in it, Bebop was a part of the genre that usually doesn't come to America, and Bebop is like the best thing ever in the genre. What I'm trying to say is, it was structured the way it is because that is the way most of the stuff in that genre is structured like, and we aren't used to how it was presented because we aren't used to the genre itself.

One thing that I'm wondering about though, I remember back when I started Tornado mentioned that

learning that Spike saw the past and present at the same time

was the main reason to rewatch the show but I'm not quite seeing why. It worked as an explanation for why he cared so much about his past but it's not like a big revelation that completely changes how I look at the show. Unless I'm just missing something.

There are specific episodes where the significance of that detail, if you pay really good attention, can be found to take command of the entire plot. "Pierrot le Fou" is one of them, as an example.

Edited by Tornado

There are specific episodes where the significance of that detail, if you pay really good attention, can be found to take command of the entire plot. "Pierrot le Fou" is one of them, as an example.

soooo in light of recent discussioin I've decided to watch ALL OF SAMURAI CHAMPLOO to repent for not seeing before now.

first up ep1: so mugen is basically breakdancing Spike and Jin is Jet? They're even still broke! awesome, got it, sweet! Character designs are really cool. Like a lot of the hip hop style stuff in it, the fight music/random scratching and cuts really gives it it's own flavour.

fight direction is top notch. like seriously intense. really a pleasure to watch. the shaky cam/cinema stuff is super good, watching this makes me wish wantanabe would hurry up and direct a new show already lol. I really hope that maybe later he has some more involvement with star driver than just the OP :o

the art style shifts are kind of disorienting sometimes though... like from thick outlines -> distorted/flat type stuff, but i guess it's cool.

all over: strong start to the show

fight direction is top notch. like seriously intense. really a pleasure to watch. the shaky cam/cinema stuff is super good, watching this makes me wish wantanabe would hurry up and direct a new show already lol. I really hope that maybe later he has some more involvement with star driver than just the OP :o