Awoo.

Sonic '06 Done Right.

Linneus

I don't see the point of redoing the game's story and everything else if it's just gonna be nothing like the original game whatsoever. Sure, it'd be a good way to make a good story (and game) replace a dreadful one within the timeline (rather than forgetting anything happened there at all), but on it's own it'd be a waste of time compared to the other adventures Sonic could be having from there.

I'll humor you all, though, and give redoing 06 a shot for a second here. I had a couple of ideas floating around anyways.

--Posting in quote tags from the rest of this post--

There, I just gave an entire plot and some information on how things tie together regarding elements from 06 that I changed. Even so, like I said, it comes out nearly nothing like 06 and could easily pass as a retcon of 06 plus a spiritual sequel to Sonic Rush Adventure; because honestly the entire aesthetic, characterization, gameplay, and the rest of it would be completely different from 06 in every way possible.

Why don't you try developing this outline, I'd love to read more of it biggrin.png

I think it could still be ironed out a little bit but it's looking really good.

Edited by XRick

I'll start out by saying that under no circumstance should this game ever be remade. It is ripping open an old wound that has caused a lot of pain, and in the best case scenario, the question becomes "Why the fuck couldn't they have done this the first time?" That being said if a remade were to be made (and there won't be, since Sonic Team's time would be better put to making a new game), I think a decent/good (not excellent) game could be made from the basic premise of 2006. And don't tell me Sonic Team would do better making a new game. I know they would. But if they hypothetically did try and fix '06, here is what I think they should do.

Story

It seems like the story is that anyone likes from '06, which is really saying something, considering how poorly done it was. I will also say that the one part that I think is relatively well done in the story is Shadow. He's not an angst ball anymore, though it wouldn't hurt for him to show a little bit of emotion.

Sonic's story is by far the worst of the game. I think his story could be tied into Silver's a lot more (and better). Get rid of Elise. Blaze can be the princess (an idea I saw a few other times in this thread). Eggman transports Sonic to Blaze's world (parallel dimension). Silver is Blaze's bodyguard/soldier (but don't have Blaze be a damsel in distress). Eggman fools Silver into thinking Sonic is the enemy. Turns out if either Blaze or Sonic dies Mephiles and Solaris join together and rape bitches in both dimensions or something. Sonic's story can revolve around him finding this out somehow, and learning the Blaze and Silver are not the enemy. And for the love of God, have Mephilies at least get the chaos emeralds or something before he shoots Sonic so it makes a tiny bit of sense.

The above is (obviously) a very rough sketch of an idea. The main reason for even keeping the story is because I think a significant portion of the fanbase likes the darker, more story driven Sonic games. The main thing that really needs to cut Elise out and the Sonic love story crap.

Gameplay

Fix the glitches. Derp. To put it more concretely, here's what I'd like to see.

Sonic: Have his normal jump damage enemies. Include the spin dash. Don't make any enemy take more than one hit to defeat. Have him turn easier. Redo or abandon mach speed sections (perhaps have many of the platforms fall behind him as he runs, but don't force him forward?).

Shadow: Get rid of the vehicles, except the hang-glider and hovercraft. Have him be able to shoot chaos energy with the X (360) button that does damage to enemies. Occasional heavy enemies can take 3 hits (max) to defeat. Have him slightly slower than Sonic.

Silver: Speed him up significanly (as fast as Knuckles or Rouge in 06). Don't make him stop running to throw things. Give him a spin jump, but no homing attack. Add a few more puzzles.

Amigos: Keep them, but fix them up. For most of them, fixing their shitty controls should be pretty self explanatory. Make a few a little faster, perhaps. Significantly change Tails, however. Make him control like Sonic Adventure, although his speed can be reduced a little if need be.

Level Design

For the hub worlds, make them smaller. Like have each one be a quarter its current size. And made it less bland, for the love of all that is holy. Give the humans a more cartoony look. Get rid of sliding on water as Sonic in Wave Ocean. Give Sonic a level in the cool, underground part of Dusty Desert like Shadow has (seriously, it reminded me a lot of Sandopolis Act 2). Fix the board physics in White Acropolis and Crisis City. Make the speedy parts of Flame Core less scripted. I'm not sure if this is considered a level design flaw, but fix the loading screens.

That's most of what I have for now. Might not be an AAA title after all that, but it certainly wouldn't be an F one.

• Thumbs Up 1

About humans with a more cartoony look, as long as they're not on the likes of Sonic Unleashed, maybe more SA1&2-like, then it's OK.

I don't hate but really dislike their design in Unleashed. But I admit the '06-style wasn't any better as well... What the hell!!!

You know, beating a dead horse doesn't quite describe it accurately. By this stage, all the flesh has already been rotted off and fed on by carrion feeders, the skeleton has already fallen apart due to neglect and all the bones have already been ground up into a fine powder by idiots who insist on letting this game influence future games in the series rather than look to the present or future like they really ought to be.

But hey, "beating a dead pile of bonemeal that used to be a horse about five years ago" doesn't roll off the tounge quite as well, so that's fine too.

• Thumbs Up 5

Not everyone wants a remake but there's no harm in discussing a possible scenario. Don't get your panties in a knot.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not everyone wants a remake but there's no harm in discussing a possible scenario. Don't get your panties in a knot.

Wow scary explosion of words. In my case I fault myself. I had no idea that this game had been talked about to the point that everyone goes into auto rage mode. If I had known before I never would have ....well no. Actually I still would have tried because I've never been one to shy away from a topic just because people gnash teeth over it. And I'm not fixin to start now.

A few people poked their heads in trying to have intelligent discussion. I really don't feel that it is justified that a few nay sayers get to be regarded as heroes just because they like to piss into the punch bowl. Regardless of how you feel on the topic. If people want to talk then I don't feel it is justified to tell them to shut up just because You don't like the topic of discussion. This topic nose dived when, Not a moment before, the nay sayers busted in, hee hawing with their anger and dead horse slogans.

Edited by Dejablue
  • Thumbs Up 1

Umm......what if the Elise was t....a.... raccoon princess? And Soleanna was a city that nested itself in the trees, and Eggman wanted to plow down the forest and the kingdom to uncover the mystical entity that layed on it's hallowed ground. The flames of Solaris.

Well, its a start

I say the safest route is to take Elise out entirely. The story is about Sonic, Blaze and Siver stopping Mephelis.

Then what would be Eggman's point over then the usual Steal the chaos emeralds plot?

Then what would be Eggman's point over then the usual Steal the chaos emeralds plot?

He could do the usual steal the emerald plot. It's better than that nightmare scene with a blue hedgehog kissing a human princess.

And so, The thinking of a new 06 story might have began....

Edited by Mephiles550

It's city-state type of place that has a species mostly comprised of Raccon-like animals. You may see humans on occasion, but they're the minority.

I kinda still want to keep the plot point of of the Princess not being able to cry, but instead of being a useless bitch who cant do anything for herself. She should be a headstrong leader, and a arm of strength for her country. Yeah, this is sounding very similar to Blaze aint it? But I don't want her in the game so I can preserve SOME continuity with her. Raccoon-Elise put up a strong front to her people but she doesnt want to get attached to them on a personal level due to the fact that if anything had happened to said person(s) it could lead to the end her people, her country, and finally the world.

A known ability that is unique to the raccoon people of Soleanna is that they have the ability to make frequent trips into the special zone. Which is where one group of warriors go and retrieve a Chaos Emerald (which is where I assume they go to, after each use) for the ...you know what, shes a damn Queen. Theres no one above her, shes a queen goddamit, QUEEN. The emerald sends out significant energy surges, Eggman catches wind of it, yadda, yadda. And that's where we get to the beginning of Sonic 06 - The good version.

I may expand on this later.

Edited by Sonimas032

Well I mean you could preserve continuity by just saying Mephelis came from Blaze's world. And passed through a portal created by a Sol Emerald. Say Nega was faffing about in some ruins and discovered it. Tried to harness it but the creature was too "alive" and just said

"Screw you, Nega" (lol that sounds kinda....yeah) and wrecks a wee bit of havoc. Just enough to get 1 sol Emerald and create a portal to escape Blaze's world. The game play would require hoping between dimensions but to me that's more tolerable than screwing around with TIME.

But the Raccoon idea sounds cool. It eliminates the awkward humans.

Edited by Dejablue

I hate to look like I'm advertising the idea, but I feel as if many people jumped over what I had to say due to me not putting it out in the open. Just saying, I completely rewrote the backstory behind crappy characters as well as an entire synopsis, and basically rounded up the game to be in Blaze's dimension and such. Let me redirect the majority of that post, actually.

So first off, if you're gonna rewrite 06, use a good and already existing princess character. Like Blaze. Not desperately pulling from Archie for Sally (eghhh, ewwww), not some original princess character, but Blaze.

In fact I still believe around the beginnings of production she was the princess of this story (I mean think about it. Sol Emeralds. Solaris. Soleanna. Plus 2005-06 was right around the release of Sonic Rush), and then somewhere down the line they thought it'd be a good idea to instead make it a do-nothing human princess who only served as a plot device and a failed (or one sided) love interest. If they really didn't intend her to be Blaze in the beginning then it sure does just fall in all the right places to make her be the infinitely better choice.

Next off, rewrite Mephiles/Solaris into a practical story that would fit Blaze's kingdom and dimension. Alright, let's go:

Many ages ago there was a magic-conjuring king named Mephiles, who became so engulfed in the idea of protecting his world that he became twistedly power-hungry. Using a mixture of light Sol Emerald power and dark magic, he was able to unlock the key to manipulating time and space and infuse the ability within his body; the price being that it started to morph his being into a shapeshifting mass of black matter, losing his grip on morality by the week, and his grip on reality by the day (that's right, I just made him the Time Eater). Before long, he had become so hungry for power that he decided to consume all the energy of the Sol Emeralds, becoming the winged flaming demigod Solaris, which contorted space and time while putting in flames and destruction the same world he vowed to protect.

His power was so immense that he was unstoppable, until one day a mage from afar appeared and summoned an other-worldly power similar to the Sol Emeralds (*coughchaosemeraldscough*). With the mixture of his own firepowers and the positive energy of these emeralds, he placed the power of the Sol Emeralds back in place, rendering Solaris to transform back into Mephiles. With the final blow, he decided to give mercy to the monster, placed him within Mephiles' own scepter; The Scepter of Darkness; and banished it into the deep undergound where the world would never see it again. The mage sent the mystic otherworldly gems he had used back to their place of origin forevermore (the special stages).

The mage became a hero known the world over and was placed as new heir to the throne. His bloodline has forevermore passed down throughout the ages and Blaze is the most recent descendent. Even the mage's own scepter, The Jeweled Scepter (as seen in SRA), is still passed down and protected in the palace walls to this date.

^The story above would basically be the strong bit of backstory to the game explained at some point all at once, instead of going to as high of detail throughout it's entirety. ^

The story synopsis:

Marine and a fellow servant koala ride in a dimension-portal boat (much like Tails' at the end of SRA). Arriving at South Island, they find the location of Sonic and Tails; lying on the beachside of the Green Hill Zone. Marine gives them a formal invitation to come to Blaze's coming-of-age ceremony; known as the "Soleanna Festival". Sonic, happy to go, decides to hop in the boat and come with Marine and the koala servant; but Tails is a bit worried of leaving their dimension without anyone there to stop Eggman's schemes if they ever happen. Sonic, assuring Tails that Eggman hasn't been around for months (and telling him that they'll only be there for the night), gets Tails to agree with him and ride off into Blaze's dimension.

Making it into the kingdom of Soleanna (it's more literally a castle town; the inside borders of the castle walls), Sonic and Tails are amazed by all of the color and beauty the town beholds, and the crowds that are awaiting the festival to start at sunset. As the sun finally takes it's course and the celebration begins, the ceremony is commenced, until suddenly interrupted by a descending, massive black shapeshifting monster (Mephiles) with a massive group of smaller but similar cronies, asking for the location of the seven Sol Emeralds. Blaze, fearful but stern, denies giving him the location, leading him to commence an attack on her. A massive whirlwind hesitates his attack, as Sonic and Tails zoom through just in time and knock away his cronies, much to Blaze's surprise. Angered by this, the monster them spawns more cronies and then tries to obliterate the location in which they stand, only to be blocked by a forcefield. A strange hedgehog (Silver) has protected them from his attack, which the light energy he beheld caused the monster to retreat, leaving his cronies behind to wreak havoc (causing the population from all over to flee). All three confused by who this hedgehog was, he told them to ask questions later and start removing the city of these creatures, in which they quickly replied.

After ridding the city of these blobbish shadow-creatures, Silver introduces himself: a psychokinetic hedgehog prince that descended from Blaze's bloodline well over a hundred years in the future, that learned how to manipulate time travel so he can save his kingdom from the "Flames of Disaster" that apparently began haunting this world at this very point in time. Blaze, being absolutely terrified by this news, worried Sonic, Tails (and Marine, which tagged along), for they didn't know what was scaring her so badly besides this. Blaze, knowing of the story of this kingdom's legacy, explains the story of the evil King Mephiles (which I wrote before this synopsis).

After telling of the tale, Silver explains that the causing of his release from the Scepter of Darkness was, according to tales passed throughout the century, caused by "two old fat crazy men", which immediately struck a realization to all four of the others.. Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega were the cause of his freeing. By this moment the battle plan was already made: find the Eggmen and get the Scepter of Darkness from them (so they could reseal Mephiles), find out what this magic power was that the mage-king used (to find how to reseal Mephiles), and to retrieve the Sol Emeralds (to make sure Mephiles doesn't obtain them first and transform into Solaris).

Blaze goes on the search for the Sol Emeralds (being able to sense their locations), Tails and Marine search for what could've possibly been the mage-king's power (through investigation and research), and Sonic chases after the Eggmen to find the Scepter of Darkness. Silver embarks on his own journey to fight Mephiles as a method of vengence for his future destruction.

^From there the story just goes on and evolves from there, but at least I gave the basic roundup on it all.^

Also yes, I understand it is "beating a dead horse with a stick" in the sense of actually hoping for this to happen, but it's fun thinking of what could've been 06. Maybe it depresses you that it's not anywhere near some of people's stated idea, okay. Maybe it's useless to do this, okay. But to me it's at least a fun thinking exercise on how to make something that really sucks.. you know, not suck.

Edited by Azublitzen
  • Thumbs Up 4

Posted this in another thread a while back

I'd totally revamp Sonic 06's story, because it was a stupid convoluted mess that screwed over Blaze's origin story and introduced that terrible Princess Elise.

I've said this before elsewhere on the board, but I still think its worth repeating. I'd replace time-travel with dimension hopping and replace Princess Elise w/ Princess Blaze. Actually, given all of the "sol/sun/fire" stuff in Princess Elise's story I've wondered if she originally started as Blaze.

Here's the set-up: It's the Soleanna Festival of the Sun and Doctor Eggman has torn another whole between the Sol and Chaos Universes. Eggman has come to steal one of Blaze's Sol Emeralds, but is interrupted by Sonic and Co. who have pursued Eggman across the dimensional rift. Meanwhile, a mysterious figure appears to Blaze's young, enthusiastic guard who seems impressed by Sonic's heroics. Mephiles warns Silver that Blaze has made a great mistake trusting this blue hedgehog and shows him a vision of an apocalyptic future he claims Sonic intends to cause. Silver vows that he will be the one to save the world. 

If you revamp the story, it's no longer Sonic '06. The plot was terrible. Again, why are we talking about this? A remake of the worst Sonic game? With that story?

I'll never forgot though about those ugly character models. Tails looked like a robot and Sonic looked like ugliest thing alive.

I like Azu's idea. It's not a far shot from what I had in mind. But I don't think Silver needs to be from the future. Why can't all of this just be happening in the present? Why can't Silver just be a gifted individual from Blaze's world? Though I'm swell with the idea of Blaze coming from a long line of Pyrotechnic cats

Edited by Dejablue

I find it pretty funny how we want to erase an important character of the story (Elise) Just because she had a terrible run in the original game.

I'd say keep everyone who was there in the first place, just de-shittify it. (De-Shittify is now my word.)

I find it pretty funny how we want to erase an important character of the story (Elise) Just because she had a terrible run in the original game.

I'd say keep everyone who was there in the first place, just de-shittify it. (De-Shittify is now my word.)

And how do you propose we do that without making it a different game. Take out the shittyness and it's not 06.