Awoo.

Sonic '06 Done Right.

Linneus

It's 5 AM EST here...and I'm reading this...oh well..

At this point, Sonic 2006 had done bite the dust. There are numerous problems with the 'Obvious Beta' (silly to call it a game at this point to me). From a philsopical view, yes I'm sure mostly everyone here wished the flaws were fixed. No they were not, and we suffered for it. There are games that done well in the past are fondly remembered for their gameplay, story, etc. Sonic 2006 was not one of them.

So...is there any chance of going back to 'remaking' this Obvious Beta?

Not going to happen.

Why?

Because SEGA moved on. Hell, I wished for the story, gameplay, physics to be similar to what the game was 'based' on (Adventure Series). But what I got and everyone else got was broken piece of gaming software the everyone wish didn't exist....

yawwwnnnn...man, I need some sleep...oh hey, is this my seventh post? HUZZAH!

Edited by TheChaosBlue
  • Thumbs Up 2

Late to the party; but even trying to ressurect Sonic 06 from the grave in any form whatsoever is similar to trying to calculate Bill Gates's and Steve Job's combined credit scores-it's pointless. Even a spiritual sequel is highly unrealistic, considering that there's (almost for me) NOTHING worth rescuing from this convulted scrappy heap of a videogame. Once the game was commisioned to be the 15th Anniversary title, the game was in a way doomed to be unfinished, due to it's short development time (development started after ShTH), which was made even worse due to Sega forcing Sonic Team to Christmas Rush/Milestone Rush the game. Naka's departure, as well as the finalized plot concept for the game didn't help either.

Personally, the only aspects I think are worth salvaging for a second chance are the level themes, the music, and a few other gameplay ideas (i.e. amigo system. Probably the closest thing we got to a 3D S3&K in terms of playable characters).

When I learned to work around the glitches, I did have a really good time for most of the game.

Some people still maintain that '06 is fine, it's not glitchy', there are even videos on YouTube of people trying to 'prove' that it has no glitches, so I think it really depends on how people play games. My friend Chris tried to play the game when I had it and he encountered a ludicrous number of glitches which I had never even touched, and I think it's due to the nature of how he plays games compared to how I do. Being a Sonic fan I like to just kind of head for the goal, whilst Chris likes to stray off the beaten path, an example would that he always tried to water-ski around the ramps in the beach level whilst I saw the ramps and just automatically thought to go over them. SEGA obviously hadn't planned for gamers like Chris because the water either side of the ramp wasn't implemented, Sonic would just fall to his death.

06 can be fun, but that doesn't stop it from being poorly programmed and an overall poor game. Far too much of the game is scripted or automated, collision detection is atrocious and level design ranges from decent to absolutely abysmal. Some of the stage concepts, like Aquatic Base and Kingdom Valley are good ideas, but their full potential is never fully realised within the game. Alternate characters like Knuckles, Tails and Rouge are literally broken. Omega is broken, but in an abusable "I'm going to skip half the stage" kind of way and Amy is completely and utterly fucking appauling. The only good amigo character is Blaze and she controls better than Sonic.

The game just confuses me so much. I'm not sure what they were thinking in making a game like 06. Some of the level design was OK I suppose and a few level concepts I want to be reused in a good game, but all in all, it was such a horrible concept for a Sonic game. Any other character and it would have worked fine if the game was better made, but no matter how polished the gameplay could be, it wouldn't shake the overall inappropriateness the concept of the game would feel.

Sonic can have serious stories and all that, but not like 06. It just didn't gel well with Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 1

06 can be fun, but that doesn't stop it from being poorly programmed and an overall poor game. Far too much of the game is scripted or automated, collision detection is atrocious and level design ranges from decent to absolutely abysmal. Some of the stage concepts, like Aquatic Base and Kingdom Valley are good ideas, but their full potential is never fully realised within the game. Alternate characters like Knuckles, Tails and Rouge are literally broken. Omega is broken, but in an abusable "I'm going to skip half the stage" kind of way and Amy is completely and utterly fucking appauling. The only good amigo character is Blaze and she controls better than Sonic.

The game just confuses me so much. I'm not sure what they were thinking in making a game like 06. Some of the level design was OK I suppose and a few level concepts I want to be reused in a good game, but all in all, it was such a horrible concept for a Sonic game. Any other character and it would have worked fine if the game was better made, but no matter how polished the gameplay could be, it wouldn't shake the overall inappropriateness the concept of the game would feel.

Sonic can have serious stories and all that, but not like 06. It just didn't gel well with Sonic the Hedgehog.

What concept? Beach Level, Sand Level, Mechanical Base, Jungle Level, Ice Level. That seems pretty standard for Sonic levels there. The only one that I could probably see as inappropriate is Crisis City.

I'm just throwing my two cents in. Even if you polished the glitches and the load times, even if they made Elise an antro, it's just not fun to play. Playing as anyone other than Sonic or Blaze just sucks. Why the hell they did decide that Tails and Rouge should use bombs? Why? They would have to completely overhaul the game and rethink the game design just to get me personnaly to approve it, and given that, the energy should be put into making a completely new game. Leave this game buried and move on.

What concept? Beach Level, Sand Level, Mechanical Base, Jungle Level, Ice Level. That seems pretty standard for Sonic levels there. The only one that I could probably see as inappropriate is Crisis City.

He's talking about the ultra realistic style they were going for, trying to put cartoony animals alongside realistic humans.

I'm just throwing my two cents in. Even if you polished the glitches and the load times, even if they made Elise an antro, it's just not fun to play. Playing as anyone other than Sonic or Blaze just sucks. Why the hell they did decide that Tails and Rouge should use bombs? Why? They would have to completely overhaul the game and rethink the game design just to get me personnaly to approve it, and given that, the energy should be put into making a completely new game. Leave this game buried and move on.

I really wouldn't mind the bombs thing if Tails was still able to jump and use his slash attack. Also, about Rouge, half her gameplay revolves around gliding and sneaking around without combat, so I don't really see the big problem with giving her bombs. Especially since her previous powers were not very well defined aside from her gliding.

They're all there, but they all manage to be poorly executed.

He's talking about the ultra realistic style they were going for, trying to put cartoony animals alongside realistic humans.

Oh. In that case, yeah that sucks, but I guess we were all asking for it. I mean, no one raised a fuss about the realistic humans in SA2 and Shadow. I wonder why.

They're all there, but they all manage to be poorly executed.

Then it is execution that is the problem, not concept.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I really wouldn't mind the bombs thing if Tails was still able to jump and use his slash attack. Also, about Rouge, half her gameplay revolves around gliding and sneaking around without combat, so I don't really see the big problem with giving her bombs. Especially since her previous powers were not very well defined aside from her gliding.

She kicks stuff. That's defined enough for me. Also I don't get points for sneaking, so I don't know how you played Rouge's sections but I actually engaged in combat.

Oh. In that case, yeah that sucks, but I guess we were all asking for it. I mean, no one raised a fuss about the realistic humans in SA2 and Shadow. I wonder why.

Then it is execution that is the problem, not concept.

The concept of 'Sonic in the real world' could have been good, but when they pulled it off, it just seemed boring. That's my main beef with Sonic 2006, it's too boring, gameplay, Soleanna, everything. I can skip the story and tolerate some of the glitches, but it better be at least half-decent.

Edited by thebluenosedreindeer
  • Thumbs Up 1

She kicks stuff. That's defined enough for me. Also I don't get points for sneaking, so I don't know how you played Rouge's sections but I actually engaged in combat.

If I get an opening to run, I run. Or at least I did in Sonic '06 in Adventure I used to fight everyone and their mother.

The concept of 'Sonic in the real world' could have been good, but when they pulled it off, it just seemed boring. That's my main beef with Sonic 2006, it's too boring, gameplay, Soleanna, everything. I can skip the story and tolerate some of the glitches, but it better be at least half-decent.

Yeah, that's the shame isn't it? It could have been if time were actually put into the game. Freaking executive cut-throats. And the entire development team got sacked for the executive's faults.

The concept of 'Sonic in the real world' could have been good,
I dunno. What would it actually gain from that?

More variety in terms of worlds?

He probably wouldn't have gotten anything special, but it would have probably led to a few good jokes if the team had it in them.

I think one would find Sonic's old colorful world to have more potential in variety than the drab "real world"

How would setting the game in the real world produce more variety than the flexible semifantasy world he usually inhabits? Sonic didn't have to be transported into the real world to run through realistic locations in other games (Emerald Coast, City Escape, etc), and a "real world" theme would lock out locations that aren't sufficiently realistic.

But it doesn't necessarily need to be a "real world", some places may seem like that while others can look the most fantasy-style as possible, it's just a question of mixing well both sides... At least, that's my thought about it...

But it doesn't necessarily need to be a "real world",
Yes, but that's what we're talking about right now.

some places may seem like that while others can look the most fantasy-style as possible, it's just a question of mixing well both sides... At least, that's my thought about it...
That's kind of what Sonic's universe usually is.

How would setting the game in the real world produce more variety than the flexible semifantasy world he usually inhabits? Sonic didn't have to be transported into the real world to run through realistic locations in other games (Emerald Coast, City Escape, etc), and a "real world" theme would lock out locations that aren't sufficiently realistic.

I meant variety in that in the various games, he would have more settings to explore. Either way, I take the semifantasy world over the real world any day, I'm just presenting a possibility.

How? There isn't a single stage in '06 that couldn't be set in "Sonic's world". "Sonic in the real world" didn't add anything.

Even Crisis City can fit; it wasn't too out of place in Generations, and CD did Bad Futures ages before '06 (even if they were typically mechanical and polluted rather than fiery hellholes).

And I don't see it as being impossible to do the "real world" in Sonic, just that there's no benefit in doing so.

Even Crisis City can fit; it wasn't too out of place in Generations, and CD did Bad Futures ages before '06 (even if they were typically mechanical and polluted rather than fiery hellholes).

And I don't see it as being impossible to do the "real world" in Sonic, just that there's no benefit in doing so.

Now a stage like kingdom valley would have probably been more difficult to use but i think it could have worked in sonic style. Edited by The Boostin Reinhog