Awoo.

Sonic '06 Done Right.

Linneus

Now a stage like kingdom valley would have probably been more difficult to use but i think it could have worked in sonic style.
Kingdom Valley's basically Sky Sanctuary on the water. Easy as pie.

Would Radical Train be 'Sonic-y' enough?

So would it have to use assests from Sky sanctuary (gen) to make it sonic-y or could they just use new stuff?

I think he was just using the stage as an example, not exactly on the sense of the word...

Of course it would use its own stuff, my point is that it's got the same basic ruins setting, just on the water instead of in the sky.

Of course it would use its own stuff, my point is that it's got the same basic ruins setting, just on the water instead of in the sky.

Me and Diogenes finally agree on something. I'd say all the stages could be Sonic like. To an extent when using real world settings (or real world copy-cat settings) you're often limited on what environments you can use, that makes them very plain and not to outstanding. That's easy stuff for Sonic to imitate into his own style.

The problem with Unleashed's stages, weren't their settins. Those were all fairly standard Sonic stuff, its their execution. They were all made to look extremely dull and uninteresting, too realistic to be fun. Unleashed was literally based on the real world, yet managed to feel a whole lot more like a Sonic game, and maintained the colourful, vibrant fantasy that befits a Sonic game. Everything was heavily stylised to suit a world that Sonic may live in, sure the humans weren't to everyone's taste (better than 06's puppets at least), but the worlds themselves were all really pretty and stylised and fun and vibrant and Sonic-y.

The reason I singled out Kingdom Valley and Aquatic Base as my favourite themes that should return, was because Kingdom Valley had some real potential as a ruins game, and was successful inspite of its realistic approach. The vague concept of previous civilisations and kingdoms has been semi-explored in zones like Hidden Palace and Chaos Angel, but Kingdom Valley took that a step further and can be taken further still. I dunno I just find it interesting.

Aquatic Base because it again was successful inspite of 06's flawed approach. Mainly because it was a final base stage that contrasted previous and later ones considerable. It was cold and sterile and empty, the music, especially the leading piano melody in "Aquatic Base - Level 1", also adds to the sense of empty and lonely sterility. It reflects one aspect of Eggmans personality that yet remains unexplored in my eyes. In all previous and later final stages the Final Base reflected madness and industrialism taken too far, and Eggmanland was deliciously fun and extreme and totally vain and crazy. The former "industrialism too far" reflects on Eggmans technological, mechanical and morbid side. Eggmanland reflected Eggman's self-obsessive vanity and madness. Aquatic Base was kind of lonely and empty and sterile. Eggman must be a pretty lonely guy. Beyond his robots (and more recently Orbot and Cubot) he has no family (literally wiped out by GUN) and no friends. He must be a pretty lonely guy, and thus far Aquatic Base is really the only level to exude this kind of feeling....at least to me. I feel that another Sonic final base/stage needs to explore this theme, but a little further and not in a game which most people vehemently despise.

Other than that it was all boring and took standard Sonic themes and made them really boring and too realistic (Unleashed took boring and realistic environments and made them more fun and Sonic-y......your mileage may vary)

• Thumbs Up 2

It's true that nowadays I can alot of issues with the human renderings in '06, but I'd prefer if they had kept them and polished more to everyone's liking, who knows, maybe more like SA1&2...

Also, I don't like the way SEGA is portraiyng Eggman nowadays, making him crazier by each new game, I really preferred him in SA1&2 and '06...

Edited by XRick

I loved the idea of 2006's art direction, but it didn't end up working all that well. Sonic looked almost permanently angry, most of the anthropomorphic characters were a bit on the lanky side, and the poor polygonal models and textures for the environments prohibited the game from capturing the beauty of the 'real world' it was trying to emulate.

That said, Eggman looked phenomenal, and I highly prefer the humans with more correct proportions over the amorphous blobs that populated Unleashed. The human character designs seemed like a natural progression from the Sonic Adventure series, and its a shame to see them throw away one of the few interesting ideas that 2006 had. However, looking at the current direction the series is headed, it might not even matter. I predict that outside of Eggman and perhaps Nega, we'll never have a Sonic game where humans show up again.

Man, another guy who likes Eggman '06 like me biggrin.png

But yeah... dry.png Most likely those guys'll never again shower us with that design, they could simply polish to the rendering of today's games, I'm sure they'd get it awesome this time. Sonic & Company, I've come to prefer them like they are now...

Man, even seeing now their Classic selves made me wanna see the Sonic R cast all in Generations style! DAMN! I even started to wish seeing a Sonic Jam's Sonic World and a Sonic R in Generations style!

Sonic 2006 makes people argue.

The Flame Wars of Disaster.

Well fuck. The joke was right there in the open, and I completely missed the opportunity. I had plenty of days and time and everything.

*wrist slit*

• Thumbs Up 4

I have a favor to ask any of you with a validated account on Sonic Retro...

Out of pure luck, I managed to find on Sonic Wrecks Elise's full body final render, and I wanted it to be set on Sonic Retro's Sonic'06 page so that all of the official renders could finally be together.

Can someone please do it? Here's the link: http://www.sonicwrecks.com/dep/officialart/misc/sonic06/son06_elise.png

For now I won't put the image since there are people here who don't like Elise much...

Alright, now -this- is a topic I can truly sink my teeth into because as blasphemous as it sounds, Sonic 06' was my favorite out of the entire series. That is until Sonic Unleashed came around, I was naive to the incomplete storyline, I wasn't as in-depth to the game as most of you are, and until Marco brought the incompleteness to my attention I was rather satisfied with the game. That being said I would severely enjoy a remake of the title, but I think it would be better if it was made from the ground up.

This being said I'd like to get onto a topic that Marco mentioned, Silver The Hedgehog. The includance of Silver the Hedgehog in 2006 was semi worthless, and the fact that they put two characters that originally had absolutely nothing to do with each other into a futuristic timeline to be 'best friends' was somewhat of a turn-off for me. What I'm talking about is Blaze and Silver, Blaze wasn't new to the sonic timeline as she appeared in Sonic Riders(?) I believe? I may be wrong, but I do know in -some- game she appeared before Silver. Blaze wasn't from the future, they seemed to be pulling that out of their asses and it came off a little annoying for me.

However, Silver's storyline for some reason I enjoyed more then both Sonic and Shadows, perhaps it was because it was just something -new-. Shadow had been done before in SA2, Sonic had been run dry by every single sonic game out there, and here comes Silver who has completely new gameplay, completely new story, and unlike Sonic and Shadow, didn't really focus on speed or power. Perhaps this is personally why I enjoyed the game itself because it was an attempt at something new rather then an attempt at something already ran into the ground, incomplete or not.

Now, with that being said, I would personally enjoy a rebuild of Sonic '06 and I think it might -really- do some good if they incorporate the style of gameplay Unleashed had with the adventuring that SA had in the -right- way rather then just throw it around like its some bouncy ball and expect it to keep bouncing.

I'm swooping in out of nowhere to just inquire on Elise.

If you wanted to remove the unsettling romance undertones. Why not make her a child instead of a Teenager?

it wouldn't make him look like a pedophile. Sure the inevitable jokes would be made by the sickos but I think Sonic interacting with a child would be more tolerable than a nearly adult woman who has uh "feelings" for him.

It wouldn't matter what variables you change, you still have Sonic kissing someone, which will cause flamewars anyway.

In fact, the whole Sonic dying plot point is incredibly stupid. I mean, even in comparison to the rest of the game. Just make Elise cut some onions or something, gosh.

If you want to make Elise cry, why not hit her with something harder than the death of a guy she's known for, what? A day or two?

Pull a Perfect Chaos and wipe out a city.

Not that the Elise plotline isn't a fundamentally bad idea, but maybe it would've worked a little better if Iblis was released by joy instead of sadness or something. Like, you portray Elise as totally cold and emotionless, trying her best to resist becoming friends with Sonic because she knows that bad shit's gonna happen if she does, but of course you can't fight off the real super power of friendship. Maybe have Eggman keep trying to kidnap Elise so he can entertain Iblis out of her; at least it'd give him something to do. Bonus points if they play video games together. Actually, did Eggman even know about the crying thing? I can't remember.

Dunno how you'd work Silver into that, though. Maybe Mephiles could send him back in time to... protect Sonic? Ehh.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you wanted to remove the unsettling romance undertones. Why not make her a child instead of a Teenager?

Just make Elise an anthromorph and be done with it.

Or, Elise could be replaced completely with Blaze; being an overall better character and an already existing princess with relation to the word "Sol".

Wish I had a picture of Sonic shrugging from SA1.

A kiss honestly wouldn't be that bad either, a kiss on the nose, or a kiss on the cheek would be more universally accepted if Elise was put as a child. I personally like Marco's Idea though, just make her an Anthromorph and be done with it, she sticks out enough as is. We don't really need a human main character, we've all seen how that has turned out....

018chris.jpg

Why isn't Elise the Iblis Trigger and Mephiles is trying to kill her the entire game ? Then when Sonic bites the bullet its because of Heroic Sacrifice.

• Thumbs Up 6