Awoo.

Sonic '06 Done Right.

Linneus

Neither of these songs are very memorable. None of the game's music is - it just doesn't stick with me. The soundtrack itself is tedious to wade through due to the nearly 1:1 ratio of cutscene music to everything-else music, but even the level and boss themes that happen to be there don't cut it for me at all. One of the most boring Sonic soundtracks ever.

Sean has a good point people, outside of Solaris Phase 2, is there really a memorable track that everyone knows about?

I like Crisis City, Wave Ocean, His World (instrumental version), White Apcopolis and Dreams of Absolution.

Edited by candied sugar plum1984

Sean has a good point people, outside of Solaris Phase 2, is there really a memorable track that everyone knows about?

Dr. Eggman's theme?

Umm....outside the two aforementioned ones?

Crisis City

Wave Ocean

Radical Train

Flame Core (second part)

Event ~ Wishing upon the Chaos Emeralds

All the tracks I can muster

Holy shit. I'm gone for a DAY and this...

...Well. I'm probably not gonna dig myself out of this one this easily, so I guess I'll just cover the basics... (Whoever wrote that post on the first page complimenting the Tornado pic in my status-- I made it myself! But that's beside the point.)

All right, so, I'm not gonna touch the music. I love the music in that game, but it's SO subjective. A lot of people say that this game did absolutely nothing right, but the one thing still stands out to me-- It's the only Sonic game with more than three basic character archetypes that still revolve around the basic Sonic-y idea of getting to the end of the level. Hell, the only other Sonic game with more than three basic types is Adventure, and that had Big and Knuckles which I felt strayed too far (even though it's not widely believed that treasure hunting was terrible-- I just don't think it's Sonic game material-- exploring wide spread levels should be optional, like S3&K's special rings and SC/SG's Red Star Rings). I want a game with more than just Sonic! I miss having other characters, whether it's a "character select" deal like S&K or "you're in for a different game depending on what you pick" like Sonic Adventure.

Sonic '06 was the last game to do that and Unleashed's "Sonic the Werehog" and S&TBK's stigma of being such a terrible game just dug the whole "alternate character" idea straight into the ground. I suppose that's why I titled the thread "Sonic '06 Done Right."

Lastly-- Diogenes has seething hate for Silver.

OP's account is completely based on Silver.

i_ain__t_even_mad_by_soapylemons-d4eir1t.png

I can most definitely get behind Wave Ocean's Speed Section's theme as the most memorable out of the bunch.

EDIT: Also Linneus, you're not the only one who wants multiple characters to return. I think the majority can agree that at least Tails should've been playable for awhile now. Now, are you asking for multiple characters, or the return of the Sonic Adventure formula?

Edited by Tanaya

Lastly-- Diogenes has seething hate for Silver.

OP's account is completely based on Silver.

i_ain__t_even_mad_by_soapylemons-d4eir1t.png

I can most definitely get behind Wave Ocean's Speed Section's theme as the most memorable out of the bunch.

EDIT: Also Linneus, you're not the only one who wants multiple characters to return. I think the majority can agree that at least Tails should've been playable for awhile now. Now, are you asking for multiple characters, or the return of the Sonic Adventure formula?

It's the only Sonic game with more than three basic character archetypes that still revolve around the basic Sonic-y idea of getting to the end of the level.

The music was just as shit as everything else in the game.

Hey now don't be dissin' AKON

In all seriousness, I constantly hum Crisis City to myself as well as kingdom Valley and Wave Ocean.

This game should really just be used as a reference guide for how not to release games. If they really wanted to make SA3 they should just start from scratch, story and everything, and use Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill as guides for level design. I played the Platinum Hits version of Sonic 06 which was the supposedly less glitched version. I found few more glitches than SA1, it was very playable, but it just wasn't enjoyable. Sonic's levels felt so empty and lifeless and felt like you had to drag your way through them, ulike SA1&2's sonic levels which are a blast. I honestly had more fun with Silver in that game.

Edited by Derpy the Snowmare

Neither of these songs are very memorable. None of the game's music is - it just doesn't stick with me. The soundtrack itself is tedious to wade through due to the nearly 1:1 ratio of cutscene music to everything-else music, but even the level and boss themes that happen to be there don't cut it for me at all. One of the most boring Sonic soundtracks ever.

I'm inclined to agree with these two. Solaris Phase 2 is the only track I truly remember (And subsequently have on my iPod because it's awesomesauce). The rest of it is just so bland and forgettable by Sonic standards. It's not bad, but Sonic06's soundtrack doesn't have anything on the rest of the franchise.

A bit off topic, but I still wonder if people knew that Modern Sonic's running pose on generations cover is a homage to his 06 running pose from THAT games cover.

Just because the music is so-called "boring" or "forgettable" doesn't mean it isn't GOOD. The music is nowhere close to being the piece of shit that you make it out to be. Despite Next-Gen's major gameplay faults, its strength is by far the music. Each piece is extremely well-composed and full of meaning. Crisis City has the sense of danger and potential consequences if you screw up. All of His World's variations release the sense of something grand expecting to happen, from Zebrahead's faster, hurrying beat to Crush 40's menacing echoing.

And My Destiny, Elise's theme, is SO under-mentioned and explains Elise's goals via each verse.

-

Now, as for the topic at hand, one thing about Next-Gen is that there actually ARE great concepts. Elise had the potential to be a well-written character, and the gameplay styles had the potential of evolving the Adventure formula. However, rush execution and concepts that weren't completely thought out likely due to development hell resulted in the mess we see today. The writing was sloppy. The characterization was iffy to poor at best; Elise's characterization felt very wobbly, for the lack of a batter word. And the gameplay is a glitchy mess. I know a few people who'd LOVE to see Next-Gen remade and refurbished, but because this game's got a sour reputation amongst the public and the fact that the Adventure base has evolved into the high-speed gameplay seen in Unleashed, Colors Wii, and Generations HD, I highly doubt we'll ever see that happen.

Edited by Michael Coal
  • Thumbs Up 4

Just because the music is so-called "boring" or "forgettable" doesn't mean it isn't GOOD.

Doesn't compute.

I dislike or outright don't care about every single track mentioned so far in response to my post. I think you guys should give up trying to convince me otherwise, because you aren't doing a great job at it!

And as far as I'm concerned, memorability is (or ought to be) the most important aspect about any and all video game music. Fine if you guys like it - I can see why, and to its credit the soundtrack reeks of some production value. But it's not my style, and if anything I think most of the music is pretentious. Just like the game itself.

Doesn't compute.

I dislike or outright don't care about every single track mentioned so far in response to my post. I think you guys should give up trying to convince me otherwise, because you aren't doing a great job at it!

Well.....umm there's......

Thats all I got

Doesn't compute.

I've never tried to convince you in the first place. >_> I'm just stating what music from Sonic 06 that l liked.

Don't feel like going back a page to quote Dio, but in response to "Get to the end of the level," I think you got the order of my adjectives confused. I wasn't saying that every game that's ever had an end of level goal is like Sonic-- I was saying that every character in '06 was still doing the basic platforming to a goal that was the series' point as a platformer. I'm not gonna tell you that they were all great ideas because the only response I'll get from that is "No they weren't." I'm saying that I want a lot of different gameplay styles, just so long as they don't try to wildly break formula. Knuckles, for example? Gliding and climbing walls, that's great. Explore tons of levels and find new paths. He's also fast, like Sonic, so that's a plus. A robot/someone in a giant mech shooting everything up? I think it has potential, but it hasn't been done right before; in my eyes, that is.

Pretty much I find no point in remaking what people outside and inside the fanbase call the worst game ever in sonic history. Seriously You saw what they did when Crisis city was shown in generations. People SHAT on it calling it a bad point of the game. It was bad publicity for generations. Now imagine a full remake. It would probably sell worse than the original and cost sega big time. With the money they have from generations and colors I don't want them ATTEMPTING to fix something that is destined to be hated no matter what. The game was universally called crap. Get over it. Because of that it will never happen. Plus we DON'T NEED ANY MORE REMAKES. NONE. after generations i want more original ideas.No more nostalgia goggles. As for the music Crisis city Kingdom valley his world and wave ocean is all i find myself humming. Mainly the generations version of CC.

Edited by The Boostin Reinhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

So was I the only person in this entire thread who was speaking from a purely hypothetical stand point? I'm appalled at the number of people who lost and are still loosing their shit over the idea of Sega remaking this game. When common sense tells anybody that no dummy they won't and never will. You can stop acting crazy now.

Oh well. Best song in game is that accordion version of the Solleana theme. That is the ultimate truth of the world.

Edited by Dejablue

So was I  the only person in this entire thread who was speaking from a purely hypothetical stand point?  I'm appealed at the number of people who lost and are still loosing their shit over the idea of Sega remaking this game.  When common sense tells anybody that no dummy they won't and never will. '

Oh well. Best song in game is that accordion version of the Solleana theme.  That is the ultimate truth of the world.

I love you.SERIOUSLY, though, talk about "It would cost SEGA so much money when this would never ever sell" is a little silly, though I can understand where the idea came from. THEY'VE GOT ALL THE IMAGINARY MONEY IN THE WORLD AS FAR AS THIS THREAD IS CONCERNED.