Awoo.

Sonic '06 Done Right.

Linneus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UHbiJ5SF40&feature=related

I really don't feel bad for saying that this looked like it would've been a lot of fun (bar the Tails & Knuckles section), if it wasn't for the fact that the gameplay was so fundamentally broken. And as much as I hate saying this, I think this reminds me of how much I liked the pace of the Sonic games to be a good bit slower than they are now; even if games like Generations have all-superior gameplay to the likes of this.

I mean, yes there is way too many dash panels and automated sections. But the layouts had the potential to have great pacing to them, due to their structure and the gimmicks involved (the metal spheres were really neat if you ask me). Better gameplay with better object placement would've done these layouts some wonders..

..besides Wave Ocean. Wave Ocean had atrocious level design.

Edited by Azublitzen

With all the talk about removing Elise and having Blaze as the princess, I would honestly do it the other way around. Remove Blaze and expand on Elise's character. Make her actually able to stand-up for herself somewhat and use her Iblis powers. Blaze's role is more insignificant than her's and would be less consequential in changing the entirety of the story.

• Thumbs Up 2

With all the talk about removing Elise and having Blaze as the princess, I would honestly do it the other way around. Remove Blaze and expand on Elise's character. Make her actually able to stand-up for herself somewhat and use her Iblis powers. Blaze's role is more insignificant than her's and would be less consequential in changing the entirety of the story.

Edited by Enigma2Me

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN so my idea is elise should be out of the picture and should use sonic world and blaze world

as a plot point so my idea is that shadow take up role of being the hero of sonic world thus him being there the

whole time and sonic defends blaze world right up to the end of sonic story the world stat apart till siver story wHich

takes place in the future and shadow is mentor and after all the story has been done a screen for the final boss

battle agaist solaris with the super hedgehogs using the powers agaist solaris and defeat him,I have not wrote

down any major plot points with this though yeh or nehsmile.png fixed

Edited by lazy days

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN so my idea is elise should be out of the picture and should use sonic world and blaze world as a plot point so my idea is that shadow take up role of being the hero of sonic world thus him being there the whole time and sonic defends blaze world right up to the end of sonic story the world stat apart till siver story wHich takes place in the future and shadow is mentor and after all the story has been done a screen for the final boss battle agaist solaris with the super hedgehogs using the powers agaist solaris and defeat him,I have not wrote down any major plot points with this though yeh or nehsmile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I can tell, he wants a two world concept. Kind of like the one in A Link to the Past. One world is Sonic's normal world. The other is Blaze's world, with Elise out of the picture. In Sonic's world we follow Shadow's side of the story, and in Blaze's we follow Sonic. Silver's story is the second last unlocked, with Silver as Shadow's pupil in the future. After that story is over with, the heroes begin their battle against Solaris with all three super hedgehogs.

That's about it.

Really bare bones.

It's a interesting concept i guess, But what does it have to do with 06's plot i anyway? Although if for the final boss the two worlds merged explaining how blaze is in generations. That could be cool.

I would agree with anything that explains Blaze in Generations, if only to stop the cake jokes.

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN so my idea is elise should be out of the picture and should use sonic world and blaze world as a plot point so my idea is that shadow take up role of being the hero of sonic world thus him being there the whole time and sonic defends blaze world right up to the end of sonic story the world stat apart till siver story wHich takes place in the future and shadow is mentor and after all the story has been done a screen for the final boss battle agaist solaris with the super hedgehogs using the powers agaist solaris and defeat him,I have not wrote down any major plot points with this though yeh or nehsmile.png

Do you need to take a breath?

"Alright- let's do it!"

That line got me really hyped at the time. "Holy crap Griffith got alot better!"

Too bad his voice direction sucked in the final game.

• Thumbs Up 5

The saddening thing about that trailer is the comments, because they go that far back. As soon as you get to like 4 and 3 years ago, you see the comments turn for the worse, and the complaints etc.

Tbh, I never had an Xbox at the time this game came out, and still don't actually own Sonic 06, but I've played enough and seen the whole rest I didn't play on youtube to know how bad it is. Even in 2006 my much younger self did have warning signs when I saw Elise, realistic Eggman, and fucking Shadow AGAIN WHY IS HE HERE AGAIN HE JUST HAD HIS OWN GAME.

It may not be the worst game ever made, but it's probably one of the biggest flops and disappointments in gaming history, and one of the most rushed milestone games as well. I'm really glad they had learnt their lesson after that, and that they didn't overly rush Generations and made it, you know, good.

To be a little more on topic, Aquatic Base was a brilliant and ambient setting, and could have been cool if the level design was good. I know it's a laboratory, but it's literally just a bunch of corridors. Reminds me of the damn past memory levels in Shadow's game.

I'm really pleased I enjoyed Crisis City in Generations, it's nice that at least one level or part of that game that was worth salvaging (as in, not like Wave Ocean which is basically Emerald Coast but bad) had a chance to be redeemed. And was it? I personally think so, but a lot of people didn't like Crisis City in Generations, so your milage may vary.

Edited by White Acrimbopolis

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN so my idea is elise should be out of the picture and should use sonic world and blaze world

as a plot point so my idea is that shadow take up role of being the hero of sonic world thus him being there the

whole time and sonic defends blaze world right up to the end of sonic story the world stat apart till siver story wHich

takes place in the future and shadow is mentor and after all the story has been done a screen for the final boss

battle agaist solaris with the super hedgehogs using the powers agaist solaris and defeat him,I have not wrote

down any major plot points with this though yeh or nehsmile.png fixed

You're forgetting a lot of grammar rules....like the use of periods.

Sorry but we're kind of strict on good typing/grammar here, so you're either going to have to work on yours or not post =/

I believe Indigo said it best. They pretty much promised what wouldn't happen.

In terms of story, here's what I would change.

• Remove Elise from the story. Instead, have it be your basic, 'Eggman is up to no good again, we have to stop him from whatever!'

• The Iblis Trigger would be Silver. Iblis is conjured after Blaze gets sealed into the other dimension.

• Mephiles fights Silver at the beginning of his story. Silver wins. Mephiles, unable to kill Silver, tells him that Shadow is the Iblis Trigger. He said this in the hopes that Shadow would kill him and ultimately release Iblis. Silver goes off to find Shadow.

• Shadow's story would start off in space, where he left off in ShTH. This could present an opportunity for a space level. Maybe a Terminal Velocity type level? When he gets to the ground, he meets Sonic. Silver appears, and suspecting Sonic for working with Shadow, attacks them both. Sonic and Shadow defeat him and escape. Sonic goes off to find Eggman, Shadow accidentally encounters Mephiles. Silver doesn't give up and hunts down Shadow.

• Throughout the story, Shadow and Silver clash with each other. In the last battle between the two, Shadow, being frustrated, sends Silver back in time to Flame Core.

• Sonic meets with Shadow and Silver twice. Once in the beginning of Shadow's story, once at the last story.

• Last story: Sonic, Shadow, and Silver encounter Solaris who 'kills' them. Tails, Knuckles, Rouge and Omega search for the Chaos Emeralds to revive them. Sonic, Shadow, and Silver have one each.

• They're revived with the Chaos Emeralds' power.

• Solaris Phase 1 is just the normal Solaris.

• Eggman takes Solaris over after the first phase.

• Solaris Phase 2 is the Eggman controlled Solaris.

These were just a few ideas of mine that I've thought about for a while. Obviously, I didn't go in depth here, these are just some broad ideas. Don't hurt me...I'm writing an essay as I'm typing here.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Sonic '06 done right" is more or less just Sonic '06 had Sonic Team taken the time to finish it before releasing it and not pushing it towards a pre-Christmas release that year. There were a lot of good and/or interesting ideas present here and the actual level design for the stages was good. They only became a chore to navigate because the core game engine wasn't ironed out.

A lot of content was planned for the final version of the game that would have definitely made it in providing the time was taken for it to be finished also. You can read about on Sonic CulT's Extracted Content page. It really puts into perspective how much unrealized potential this game had.

Obviously the loading times (one of the more apparent problems with the game) would have become a non-issue and we wouldn't have had to wait for Sonic Colors or Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I for a proper reintroduction of Super Sonic as a fully playable character after meeting the necessary requirements.

The story isn't really something I'm bothered by so I'm not really going to go into much detail involving that. Gameplay comes first and foremost, people.

Edited by Chooch Kringle
  • Thumbs Up 5

Ya know while I would never want a remake because that would mean reopening wounds that don't need to be opened, but I always wondered to myself, what if this game was good? What if it lived up to the hype and then some and what would the direction of the series be because of its success, would we have stuck with the realistic artwork from then on? Would we have these "epic" stories in every subsequent game, and would every character be stuck with an alt gameplay. These are questions that have haunted me.

Im guessing even then, the game would still get mediocre scores, because the genere roulette was a problem was even when A1 and SA2 we're new. So maybe then, Sega would probably pull a Colors and trim all the fat, and make a pure Adventure styled game.

Maybe the tone will still be changed, I don't know how it would be handled on that front.

Im guessing even then, the game would still get mediocre scores, because the genere roulette was a problem was even when A1 and SA2 we're new. So maybe then, Sega would probably pull a Colors and trim all the fat, and make a pure Adventure styled game.

Maybe the tone will still be changed, I don't know how it would be handled on that front.

As DistantJ said, the biggest issue that most fans have with Sonic 2006 was that it promised to be the big one.

• Thumbs Up 6

But now they have mediocre to average reviews, (Well, SA1 does.) They just haven't aged well.

The important thing is that they did at the time.

"Sonic '06 done right" is more or less just Sonic '06 had Sonic Team taken the time to finish it before releasing it and not pushing it towards a pre-Christmas release that year. There were a lot of good and/or interesting ideas present here and the actual level design for the stages was good. They only became a chore to navigate because the core game engine wasn't ironed out.

A lot of content was planned for the final version of the game that would have definitely made it in providing the time was taken for it to be finished also. You can read about on Sonic CulT's Extracted Content page. It really puts into perspective how much unrealized potential this game had.

Obviously the loading times (one of the more apparent problems with the game) would have become a non-issue and we wouldn't have had to wait for Sonic Colors or Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I for a proper reintroduction of Super Sonic as a fully playable character after meeting the necessary requirements.

The story isn't really something I'm bothered by so I'm not really going to go into much detail involving that. Gameplay comes first and foremost, people.

Thanks for linking the Sonic Cult article!

Omg....It said that you could unlock soundtracks from other games....

Sonic Generations....

.....Was influenced by 06...

What I would do for a start is switch Shadow and Sonic's plots, have Shadow protect Elise from Eggman and have Sonic going after Mephiles.