Awoo.

Sonic '06 Done Right.

Linneus

So what do you think of Shadow?
"Vegeta ripoff" is not entirely inaccurate, though it isn't as blatant as Trunks the Hedgehog (Vegeta actually manages to be a relatively interesting character, for one). He's mostly just another instance of the angsty dark "soooo cooool" sort of character.

A "remake" of this game would basically be plastic surgery. So everyone who hates the aesthetic of 06 (which is mostly everyone) needn't worry. Or maybe they forgot that the idea of a remake is to change things.

Simply make everyone look the way you want them to look. Do away with realistic Eggman and Elise and replace them with a preferred variant.

A "remake" of this game would basically be plastic surgery. So everyone who hates the aesthetic of 06 (which is mostly everyone) needn't worry. Or maybe they forgot that the idea of a remake is to change things.

Simply make everyone look the way you want them to look. Do away with realistic Eggman and Elise and replace them with a preferred variant.

Well that's good and all, but '06 had a terrible story too. If a remake is made, it will still have the same awful and confusing story.

Edited by Christmas-Hedgehog

Then maybe I'm using the wrong word here. How about calling it a "spiritual remake" Is that better? Like how Shadow the Hedgehog (or maybe it was 06) was supposed to be Sonic Adventure 3 but isn't?

So it would be a remake and a new game....at the same time.

We are here just talking for the love of it and you guys are only here flaming it just because you don't like the idea of people like us actually liking of talk about the game, the chances it could have with a remake and possible ideas that could make it rise from the dirty ashes of Iblis in which it burned.

Who's "flaming" here? I see people expressing their personal reluctant (at best) at the idea, but I see no "flaming". Just because someone's expressing a less-than-positive opinion on something, doesn't mean they're "flaming".

Please, just let the people who wants to talk about it talk...

One thing, though: those who are expressing disinterest towards the idea want to talk about it as well. Should they be barred from expressing their opinion on it because they aren't praising it?

Edited by Komodeer

You're serious? It's the worst Sonic game of all time

That is subjective... (I'm looking at you, Sonic Labyrinth and the Black Knight). I'm well aware of how poorly built Sonic '06 is, but I had some fun with it :)

and it's the reason Sonic's been in a rut for 5 years.

That's also not entirely true. If it wasn't for the Werehogs and Swords, Sonic '06 may have been overlooked. I hear people bash Sonic Unleashed and the Black Knight more than Sonic '06.

Or maybe they forgot that the idea of a remake is to change things.
So again, the question: What is worth keeping? There's so much that I'd change or remove that I may as well start from scratch.

I hear people bash Sonic Unleashed and the Black Knight more than Sonic '06.
Because very rarely do you have to argue that '06 is terrible; it's usually just assumed to be true.
  • Thumbs Up 5

That's also not entirely true. If it wasn't for the Werehogs and Swords, Sonic '06 may have been overlooked. I hear people bash Sonic Unleashed and the Black Knight more than Sonic '06.

'06 started it, Unleashed and Black Knight just helped.

I think we should just forget 06. It just shows how Great Potential can be burned to shit with Rushing.

And I like both Silver and Shadow.

So again, the question: What is worth keeping? There's so much that I'd change or remove that I may as well start from scratch.

Ok then start over. But you have to preserve a few elements. What those elements are I do not know. In my eyes Sonic has to save a "princess like" character. But we don't really need Mephelis or Iblis. And probably by extension, Silver. But the fact that Silver is still around and isn't being phased out means he'd probably need to be in the "spiritual remake"

Who cares, what have we to really lose?

Time, money, resources, sanity...

The ideas in the original plans are just as good as any Sonic Adventure game.

And there's your problem: you're assuming that because the Adventure games did it back in the late 90s and early millennium, it's somehow still acceptable now.

I'll tell you this, despite all of the love the Adventure games get, it's usually through rose-tinted glasses, and the love is usually directed at Sonic's gameplay, and seldom the adventure fields or the "variety-pack" style of game design. The Adventure games did some experimenting, and after 5 or so years of stagnation, they moved on to keeping it simple and fluid, which is definitely the best thing for Sonic.

The Adventures were fun, but they have not aged well.

Besides, remaking this game would also give the fans a sign of reassurance that this is a whole new Sonic Team, with new ideals and new strengths, better than the ones that made this drek.

No, that assurance came about with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. We don't need a before-and-after, nor should we encourage it. Stop beating a dead horse.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's totally the opposite to me. Most of the time whenever people talk about bad Sonic games, Sonic 06 is the game that they bash the most. Unleashed and Black Knight gets bash mostly for the werehog and sword gimmick.

Who's "flaming" here? I see people expressing their personal reluctant (at best) at the idea, but I see no "flaming". Just because someone's expressing a less-than-positive opinion on something, doesn't mean they're "flaming".

One thing, though: those who are expressing disinterest towards the idea want to talk about it as well. Should they be barred from expressing their opinion on it because they aren't praising it?

Sorry, that's how it seemed to me. Of course they can't be barred from speaking up, this is a free place for discussion, I'm the one who wasn't enjoying seeing them pushing us back for every good thing we tried to bring up, hence me saying that...

Once again, sorry for my statements.

Edited by XRick

No. It wouldn't. It really, really wouldn't.

'06 is not good. It is not special. It is not some brilliant idea buried in the rubble. It is not some grand missed opportunity. It's a mediocre idea that thinks it's a brilliant one, and has somehow fooled other people into going along with it.

it was only a matter of time before Dio saw this. And I agree with everything you said.

Now that I think about it, is there any staff member of SEGA wandering around this forum? We could try to bring him/her here and have his/her opinions about this matter...

Edited by XRick

Lol all we're doing is nickering back and forth at each other.

So I'm pulling up to the discussion topic drive thru. And ordering a plastic surgery on this game's story with extra fry and a large shake!

And at this point its only the story I care about. The gameplay changes is a natural necessity that would come with Sonic Teams evolution into revitalizing Sonic's gaming image. But I'm just here for the story.

How about adding Eggman Nega to Sonic's story and having the Eggmen fight each other for Elise? And Sonic would be between them, rescuing her every time he could laugh.png

I know it's less original but at least his story would have more content, right?

Edited by XRick

Ok then start over. But you have to preserve a few elements.
Why? Why am I doing this in the first place? What is worth keeping?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lol all we're doing is nickering back and forth at each other.

So I'm pulling up to the discussion topic drive thru. And ordering a plastic surgery on this game's story with extra fry and a large shake!

And at this point its only the story I care about. The gameplay changes is a natural necessity that would come with Sonic Teams evolution into revitalizing Sonic's gaming image. But I'm just here for the story.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing it like that, I guess a new game based on what '06 could have had of good could be a better idea than a remake, I'm on that one laugh.png

Also, I too would love to see real remakes of SA1&2, I really love them at that time and nowadays they might become even better, who knows...

Hmmmmmm....That's a good question. But nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you hate this topic then....why waste your energy?

I know the game will never be salvaged but I'm one for pipe dreams. I'd take the rescue a princess story and put a spin on it. Change the time travel into something else that still involves travel but just not through time. Maybe dimensional. That way you can still include Blaze.

For some reason I enjoy trying to fix bad stories in my head. If you don't then I can't hate you for that, Dio.

To be called a remade '06, it would be. Because there is so much bad in '06 that if you take it all out, what little is left is no longer recognizable.

Boring shit. For all its flaws, Unleashed style does the "run really fucking fast and little else" concept better.

They don't fit Shadow, either! The guy runs superfast, has rocket shoes, and can teleport; what the hell does he need a jeep for?!

It doesn't stop being bad just because it's not the first time it happened! It's bad in Heroes, it's bad in ShtH, and it's bad in '06!

Yes he is. He is a Trunks ripoff with a terrible design and slow, clunky, combat-heavy gameplay.

Regardless of what it once could have been, what it ended up being is terrible. And it's terrible in so many ways I can't imagine there being much good to it in the first place.

Really, what's worth saving? What of '06 do you think is important enough to both divert resources away from the games they've been making and reopen the biggest, nastiest wound this series has suffered?

If you butcher it so much it, it becomes a skeleton of its former self, you may see things that resemble good ideas within.

• Some level concepts are pretty good looking

• It wanted to be Sonic Adventure 3, with different, individual playstyles for each character in it. But it failed terribly)

• The Big Bad Evil Guys they added (Mephiles, Iblis,
    Solaris) have mixed potential. Mephiles could have made an awesome boss fight where he morphs into other characters and starts using their moves (sadly, this is Sonic '06, where dreams turn to dust and everyone is mad), possibly a mind-control thing where he has to possess a target before he shapes into them, which helps lead the story. Iblis was boring, and should have been the somewhat dark-comedic result of a silly mistake (Sonic stopping and saying "Did I leave the oven on?", takes a trip to the future, and BOOM IBLIS), not the result of some skinny legged albino princess tears. Solaris, as evidenced by the name, sounds like the Chaos of Blaze's dimension. But instead, it was the result of a fusion between Mephiles and Iblis, IIRC. Which is retarded.

However, the idea of a Sonic '06 remake is a bad one. If they admit it is a remake, that will take away hundreds of thousands of preorders right off the bat, and it would never have an eye batted at it again. They can make a game structurally similar, with similar characters and areas, but a full blown remake would be the metaphorical clothes hanger in the womb of the game's potential.

In conclusion, Sonic '06 cannot be salvaged. Parts of it can. The rest gets dropped off in the Marina Trench to be seen the day after Judgement Day when Cthulhu comes and brings all of his most vile monstrosities with him.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't see much worth keeping really, tbh. I would like to see a good version of White Acropolis, but that's just because I felt it was quite different to other ice levels in the series and I kind of liked the roaming around and avoiding searchlights and stuff, for some reason. I don't think I can quite justify that, which is lame. I mean Generations already covered Crisis City, which seems very love/hate judging by it's reception, and not just in terms of mere inclusion...

A remake is pointless, the story made itself not happen so it doesn't need to be retold anyway, and changing it to be good would be changing almost the entire plot, and most of the levels were bland so I still don't see a point.

So yeah, I wouldn't say it's worth it, maybe take a couple of level elements that weren't implemented well and put them in new stages in a completely new game that otherwise has nothing to do with 06?