Awoo.

Sonic '06 Done Right.

Linneus

Well since a full blown remake is silly, how about a spiritual remake instead? Is what I'm saying. Or trying to. It's not coming across very well.

Yeah that's pretty much a whole new game but you'd pull out the less burnt up bits of 06's story and try to make a new story out of it. Gameplay isn't my main concern. A few other people do want to make a basic remake of the game.

Then we have everyone else who is like "why does this topic exist! Lock It!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Well since a full blown remake is silly, how about a spiritual remake instead? Is what I'm saying. Or trying to. It's not coming across very well.

Yeah that's pretty much a whole new game but you'd pull out the less burnt up bits of 06's story and try to make a new story out of it. Gameplay isn't my main concern. A few other people do want to make a basic remake of the game.

Then we have everyone else who is like "why does this topic exist! Lock It!"

Well then just let it be a different game then. Wait.

Are you saying if the game were more silly but kept all of the characters doing the same thing they're already doing, it'd be a different game completely?

Well then just let it be a different game then. Wait.

Are you saying if the game were more silly but kept all of the characters doing the same thing they're already doing, it'd be a different game completely?

The topic is about whether Sonic 06 is worth remaking or not. It was never about making sequels or light-hearted stories.

And they SHOULD! It could help them a lot if they were to read what we talk about in a daily basis.

Edited by Vantoggle
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh well in that case. Maybe this topic should have been called "Doing serious stories right" We had a topic not long ago about "light" stories.

Well considering we're talking about remaking 06, the idea may as well be the same.

There's nothing of value to be salvaged from 06, anything than can be salvaged would be so redone to the point of where its not 06 anymore. The whole point of a remake is to take an already good, but outdated game and bring it up to modern standards. 06 came out on the same console as Generations, and its definitely not a good game.

I don't fucking believe this. There are people still advocating that something can be salvaged from this game?

The storyline is complete mess filled with bland dialogue, canon-breaking plotholes and unbelievably half-assed and nonsensical time-travel plot twists. This is a defining trait of the game, and by the time that is all fixed, there is nothing left that can be identified as part of the original game.

The gameplay is an epic, legendarily awful mess of untested, unpolished crap, ranging between game ruining glitches, horrible stop-go pacing enforced by mandatory combat and level design, bland trial-and-error and damn near uncontrollable machspeed sections, a large cast of playable characters that are near-unanimously horrid to play as (with the grand stinker prize going to Amy for having only one attack, which is piss weak and so short ranged that it practically overlaps with touch-of-death hitboxes, in a game where killing enemies is often unavoidable and mandatory), boring, featureless hubworlds and...

I mean fuck, I can't possibly list everything wrong with this game in a single paragraph, but the point is, these are things that defined the game. What do you get if you remove all that? Probably the most generic Adventure-engine game ever made. So clearly there's nothing good to be gained from it. And see, that's the Catch 22 of this whole situation - you attempt to improve apon the flaws of games past and end up creating something that has almost no relation to it (which is money and effort better spent developing a completely original game rather restricting yourself to the ideology of one of the single worst videogames ever made) or you attempt to make a game and it ends out turning out just as bad or worse simply by virtue of keeping everything that's relevant to it. Either way, it's not a suitable investment of Sega's resources, and people will refuse to let it sell anyway just on principle of the repute the original game stood for.

For fuck's sake people, just let it die already. Sonic actually has a good thing going nowadays - the last thing he needs to be doing is blatantly digging up entire pages from his past, especially the ones he's gained the most noteriety over.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't really see the point of a remake. While the level themes were fine, the remake would have to be altered so heavily that it would end up being an entirely different game from Sonic2006.

Edited by Speederino

If there's anything Sonic 06 did, it made Sonic Team realize they have been

for a long time.

We can thank the game for forcing the developers to get their act together.

Edited by Tanaya
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, I don't want to drag this on further than it should be since this thread is a mess. I have one final question which I shall not reply to, as to save time and minds.

So if everyone doesn't want a remake because so many things would have to be done so different it would be a new game, then why not? Why not let it be Sonic '06 in name only? It's a new game only slightly based off the original concept with some of the characters of the original, retooled and re-imagined to suite their new world? It worked for Silver. Then why not the whole game?

Meh, if I didn't know there was harm asking, I wouldn't have joined this forum. :)

Well what I gained from this is that there is no point to try and bring it up even in the hypothetical. It's not tolerated.

Edit: Expressed 0 tolerance comes from the fact that this must be an over discussed topic that nobody is ever able to come to any solid conclusion over. And so it's become a thorn in the side of this forum. So I guess its like scratching at a scab or old wound. It's too irritating to bother with and should be left to time to heal.

At least thats what I think people want

Edited by Dejablue

So if everyone doesn't want a remake because so many things would have to be done so different it would be a new game, then why not? Why not let it be Sonic '06 in name only?
Because that only hurts it. It's like naming your kid Adolf...he may be a fine upstanding gentleman...but it's an uphill struggle after that bad first impression.

It worked for Silver.
Not really...

So if everyone doesn't want a remake because so many things would have to be done so different it would be a new game, then why not? Why not let it be Sonic '06 in name only?
Yeah sure, let's make a completely different game that embodies the spirit of the worst game in the entire series. That totally sounds like a good idea.

No seriously, are you actually shitting me? That just weighs down the potential of a completely original game with the aesthetics and ideals that drove '06 into the ground, and just relating it to that shitstorm at all is practically begging people to boycott it off principle. I seriously don't understand why you're trying to defend this concept at all.

It's a new game only slightly based off the original concept with some of the characters of the original, retooled and re-imagined to suite their new world? It worked for Silver.
Umm. No it didn't. Not sure why you'd even imply it did.

It needs a remake just as much as Sonic X-treme needs one.

it doesn't.

Edited by Mephiles550
  • Thumbs Up 3

The music.

Thats all Sonic 06 has.

Seriously, thats. it.

Pretty much, and even then, there were some tracks that were utter stinkers. -thinks of My Destiny-

Pretty much, and even then, there were some tracks that were utter stinkers. -thinks of My Destiny-

I kinda like that song, but yeah. Even then the soundtrack to 06 wasnt even all that spectacular compared to most Sonic titles.

So it's a very bad sign when the only bright spot in 06 is an underwhelming soundtrack