Awoo.

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Discussion

PSI Wind

You know, this really begs the question, what Pokemon did you sweep the entire game with/moveset? Cause even I had a LITTLE trouble with like 2 fights in the game (Sabrina and Lance are the only fights I lost to, the former because I was underleveled). Though it really isn't a surprise how easy it was for you; if you use one Pokemon it'll grow MUCH faster than if it was accompanied by a full team, so your more than likely to be overleveled throughout the whole game.

Cyndaquil/Typhlosion/Quilava. With Flamethrower/Cut/Rocksmash/Strength.

Didn't use any stats-boosting items (Calcium etc) on it, either, and only ever fought with attack moves (no stats-changing/boost/defensive moves). Flamethrower took almost everything down with one hit, except for water and rock types (other weaker ones still got KOed).

Though I will admit, Red WAS a bit easy, even though my entire party was at lvl 80. I have a bad habit of overestimating the strength of some of these bosses, both the Kanto gym leaders and Red I overleveled to beat and ended up sweeping them without a prayer. Red I didn't even need to recover.

I only had one level 80+ on my team when I took on Red (Quilava was lvl 86 I believe). The next highest on my team was my lvl 50 Snorlax who is already at that level when you catch him =P I'm so lazy.

What Nature does your Typhlosion have? I sense you got crazy lucky with your Cyndaquil right at the start of the game. That or Typhlosion is more powerful offensively than I remember.

Otherwise with your Typhlosion pretty much reduced to the role of HM Slave there's no way he should be facerolling the E4. O_o

I've beaten almost every pokemon game running with through almost exclusive use of my starter, and know tons of other people who do that too. It's almost easier to play the games with one ridiculously over powered Pokemon then a team of moderately powered ones.

Beating the game with only my starter is something I haven't done but still want to do one of these days. Just because I want to prove those NPCs that say "you can't win with just one Pokémon" wrong.

I've beaten almost every pokemon game running with through almost exclusive use of my starter, and know tons of other people who do that too. It's almost easier to play the games with one ridiculously over powered Pokemon then a team of moderately powered ones.

I've certainly found this in SoulSilver with my Feraligatr. I've tried to have at least two higher level Pokemon on me at all times (if only for double battles), but my starter has always been the strongest - and on many, if not most, occasions I've defeated many an opponent using it and it alone, often with one hit KOs.

If I remember rightly my Feraligatr's moveset is Slash/Crunch/Surf/Ice Fang, which seems to work well against most other types (Crunch for psychic/ghost, Surf for fire/rock/ground, Ice Fang for flying/dragon/grass, Slash just for general use).

What Nature does your Typhlosion have? I sense you got crazy lucky with your Cyndaquil right at the start of the game. That or Typhlosion is more powerful offensively than I remember.

Otherwise with your Typhlosion pretty much reduced to the role of HM Slave there's no way he should be facerolling the E4. O_o

Oops, silly me getting Quilava and Typhlosion mixed up XD

He's "Relaxed" in nature (+ defense - speed... but he never really needed to defend himself anyway O.o) and his characteristic is "Strongly defiant". And yeah, pretty much an HM slave - but I only needed Flamethrower in 99% of cases anyway. Seriously, he KOed almost all of the E4's Pokémon in one hit, and some of Lance's and Red's too.

*looks up data tables*

If I'm reading this right, your Typhlosion has unusually awesome defensive skills on both defense stats, so that's why he's not getting wasted. Heh. Plus apparently Typhlosion's base Atk/SpA stats are higher than I thought they were. OK cool, it was just bothering me how a glorified HM Slave was doing so well solo. XD;

Whilst it's certainly possible for a well-built sweeper to solo the Elite Four, in HG/SS (and Plat apparently) it's no longer possible to grossly outlevel the E4 like it used to be; the enemy levels are just high enough that attacks put the enemy's health in the red, prompting Full Restore spamming and PP draining shenanigans. I already miss the days of epic 1-shot specials. :/

Or at least that was my experience with a Lv 100 Mewtwo with 390 in Special Attack, so... meh. :P

That said, giving my Mew Nasty Plot and Baton Pass worked wonders for training my Celebi. Nasty Plot x3, Baton Pass, "Celebi used Giga Drain on Gyarados! It's not very effective... ...Gyarados fainted!" Entertaining and humiliating for my opponent: just how I like it.

I so mean n_n

That said, giving my Mew Nasty Plot and Baton Pass worked wonders for training my Celebi. Nasty Plot x3, Baton Pass, "Celebi used Giga Drain on Gyarados! It's not very effective... ...Gyarados fainted!" Entertaining and humiliating for my opponent: just how I like it.

Celebi will actally be getting nasty plot as an event move soon which might make it a bit better. Speaking of that, that event is really wanting to make Raikou and Entei alot better. Entei gets Flare Blitz, Extremespeed AND Howl at that event. If the Entei is Adamant it actually might finally be pretty decent. Raikou getting Aura Sphere is pretty good as well because now it can take out Tyranitar, who is normally a huge problem for Raikou. Suicune got screwed over though, the only possibly useable move he gets is Aqua Ring, and even that isn't great.

EDIT: Also Giga Drain is neutrally effective againast Gyarados. ;)

Edited by Blaziken

If I'm reading this right, your Typhlosion has unusually awesome defensive skills on both defense stats, so that's why he's not getting wasted.

Except that he hardly ever needed to defend himself since he was killing everything dead on the first turn XD;

Plus apparently Typhlosion's base Atk/SpA stats are higher than I thought they were.

That's more likely what worked in his favour. He was pretty powerful. 1-hit-KO'ed Red's Pikachu despite being several levels weaker than it, for example.

OK cool, it was just bothering me how a glorified HM Slave was doing so well solo. XD;

My starter is ALWAYS an HM slave XD;; I almost gave him FOUR HMs, but I decided he should at least keep ONE fire attack ^^; Poor guy.

Whilst it's certainly possible for a well-built sweeper to solo the Elite Four, in HG/SS (and Plat apparently) it's no longer possible to grossly outlevel the E4 like it used to be; the enemy levels are just high enough that attacks put the enemy's health in the red, prompting Full Restore spamming and PP draining shenanigans. I already miss the days of epic 1-shot specials. :/

I did 1-hit-KO most of them (I think my Typhlosion is a freak or on steroids or something O.o), but on the couple of occasions where it did go to red... ARGH. FULL RESTORE I HAAAATE J00! >_>

I might start a new file with a different starter and see if I fare any differently.

EDIT: Also Giga Drain is neutrally effective againast Gyarados. ;)

I swear I've had some kind of mental breakdown recently and not even noticed. XD;

Also, apparently the event Entei/Raikou/Suicune are Shinies as well, which should be interesting. As for Suicune specifically, it isn't the only one of the three in the OU tier already for nothing. ;P

I might start a new file with a different starter and see if I fare any differently.

AUGH POKÉMON PET PEEVE "STARTING A NEW FILE"

At least get your Pokémon and unique TMs off the cart first! :(

That's more likely what worked in his favour. He was pretty powerful. 1-hit-KO'ed Red's Pikachu despite being several levels weaker than it, for example.

That doesn't mean much though, Pikachu would faint from a paper cut with its terribad defenses. :P

As for Typhlosion specifically, from my li'l reading session it seems the only reasons he's NU (NeverUsed) tourney tier and not OU (OverUsed) is that he's mono-Fire - not the best typing ever especially given how brutal Fire/Fighting has proven to be - and his movepool's a bit too thin. Statwise he's a beast.

This reminds me: imagine a Gyarados with Volt Absorb...

This reminds me: imagine a Gyarados with Volt Absorb...

Would ALMOST be as bad as Wonderguard Spiritomb.

Well, nothing comes even close to Wondertombs carrying Rest. Rest away statuses and just attack. The only ways I can think of to beat this guy would be to Taunt him and then Toxic him, or swap his ability somehow (Skill Swap, Worry Seed, etc.)

I've had to face a fair few online, so my Wi-fi team is always ready for Wondertombs XD

Flyboy, how balanced was you team in terms of levels?

As balanced as a see-saw with a feather on one end and a bowling ball on the other =D;

Typhlosion was lvl 86 by the end of the game. I then had a Snorlax and Lugia at lvl 50 each. And the rest were level 16 - 35.

Even though it's so easy to run through the entire game with my starter only (As I almost did with my first game, Ruby, but I trained a Pelipper for double battles) I honestly think that takes a lot of fun away from the game. I enjoy meeting new pokémon along the way and accepting them into my team. It makes for a much more unique team than a starter anyway :(

As for Typhlosion specifically, from my li'l reading session it seems the only reasons he's NU (NeverUsed) tourney tier and not OU (OverUsed) is that he's mono-Fire - not the best typing ever especially given how brutal Fire/Fighting has proven to be - and his movepool's a bit too thin. Statwise he's a beast.

Actually Typhlosion dropped for more reasons than that. His main use in competetive play is a choice scarf set with Eruption as his main attack, however this set is crippled by entry hazards which are everyhere nowadays. Another problem is being outclassed. In higher tiers he's outclassed by fire types such as Infernape and Heatran and in lower tiers he's outclassed by Blaziken and Arcanine, all of which can sweep but do it better than Typhlosion.

Would ALMOST be as bad as Wonderguard Spiritomb.

Fire Fang.

AAARRRGGHHHH!! Bad enough you get squat for completing rounds in the Battle Hall. But after 50 rounds and finally getting to Argenta, Focus Band somehow goes off twice in a fucking row, resulting in Yawn putting my Pokemon to sleep for the rest of the battle and me losing!

1 in 100!! Has does that fucking happen!!!?? Fuck the random crap in this game!!!!

Battle hall sucks for gaining BP, I pretty much stoped using it after realizing that.

Arcade and Castle are my new favs though, just because I find them fun. I still grind the tower frontier if I need BP (which at this point I'm pretty set).

Yeah but I'm just trying to get the medals for beating the Frontier Brains at the moment, which is pretty damn impossible given stupid crap like this. The fact that I don't get a decent amount of BP for the effort just makes the situation worse. And this is only the cherry on the cake of my long day playing this damn mode.

My favourite part of HG/SS is... the Rival's battle music ;_; I thought I was strange for loving it so much, but then I went on YouTube and saw lots of other people who loved it just as much. It is an epic remix. And most people even loved the same part of it that I did - the part with the bells that sounds vaguely Christmassy XD

I just spent a good half-hour finding an mp3 of it so that I can listen to it on loop until I go insane :|

• Thumbs Up 1

My favourite part of HG/SS is... the Rival's battle music ;_; I thought I was strange for loving it so much, but then I went on YouTube and saw lots of other people who loved it just as much. It is an epic remix. And most people even loved the same part of it that I did - the part with the bells that sounds vaguely Christmassy XD

I just spent a good half-hour finding an mp3 of it so that I can listen to it on loop until I go insane :|

That reminds me I should probably go kick my rival's ass today since it's Wednesday (and I don't clock cheat). Might vent my anger after playing Battle Hall.

1. There's a Battle Frontier in this game? Ofuck.

2. I make all of my Pokemon know at least ONE spammable, high PP, medium attack move. HMs (Cut especially) make for great use in that case.

Also I guess Modest nature decreases attack, but ups Sp. Attack. Must be why I could spam fire moves on just about ANY Gym Leader.

1. There's a Battle Frontier in this game? Ofuck.

2. I make all of my Pokemon know at least ONE spammable, high PP, medium attack move. HMs (Cut especially) make for great use in that case.

Also I guess Modest nature decreases attack, but ups Sp. Attack. Must be why I could spam fire moves on just about ANY Gym Leader.

The Battle Frontier in HG/SS is exactly the same as the one in Platinum. But I never played Platinum(when it came out. I'm playing it now, inbetween daily stuff in HG) so I'm playing it now.

Well I don't think starting out with a dark pokemon was a good idea in the first place. Bugsy almost murdered me. Same thing with Chuck. I just so happen to have staravia and an Alkazam on team in the respective battles. Jasmine wasn't too hard for me since I grinded a bit too much today. Well here's my current team.

Shuppet (Wednesday): Lv.30

Sharpedo (Haifisch): Lv. 33

Absol (Cesare): Lv.34

Staravia (Ayria): Lv. 23

Corphfish (Fish): Lv.26

Gabite (Jack): Lv.29

None of my pokemon are from these regions! lol I raised most of them from scratch and I'm my way to beating Team Rocket yet again. I get to have 2 red gyrados after this.

World Championship for Heart Gold and Soul Silver players, free Shiny Eevee for all attendees

Think you're good at Pokémon? Why not try and book your place at this summer's Pokémon Video Game World Championships by taking part in the European Qualifier in Birmingham next month?

The UK qualifier takes place at the NEC in Birmingham on 29 May and the winners will get the opportunity to compete at the World Championships in Hawaii this summer.

Things will be a bit different this time as the number of qualifying tournaments and number of participants at each location has increased.

Also, you'll be able to use Legendary Pokémon for the first time in battle. So competitors will be able to make use their most powerful Pokémon in their team.

In Europe, the Pokémon Video Game Championship qualifiers kick off in Birmingham on Saturday May 29, before heading to Germany, France and then Spain to determine who will get the chance to pit their skills against the best players from the U.S. and Japan.

The European qualifier schedule

May 29: Birmingham - National Exhibition Center(The Pavillion Hall)

June 5: Cologne, Germany - Pullman Hotel

June 12: Lyon, France - Cité Centre de Congrès (Forum 4)

June 19: Madrid, Spain-IFEMA - Feria de Madrid (N101-N104)

World Championships

August 13, Kona, Hawaii - Hilton Waikoloa Village

Now for the important part: How to enter. At each Qualifier tournament, players from two different age divisions (Born in 1998 or later, and born in 1997 or earlier) will be selected on a first come, first served basis from those in attendance.

The top four players from each age division will receive an invitation to compete in the 2010 Pokémon Video Game World Championships in Kona, Hawaii from August 13-15. Top finishers will be awarded international travel packages, trophies, and special Pokémon prizes.

As for the rules, competitors wil be required to play with the European versions of the Pokémon HeartGold or Pokémon SoulSilver. The tournament will use the Flat Battle and GS Cup rules sets which include an auto-level feature, which sets all Pokémon that are above level 50 down to level 50 for the duration of the battle. This will allow players to use some of the most powerful Legendary Pokémon in battle.

There's also a special bonus at this year's tournament as everyone who brings their copy of Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver to the event can walk away with a new Shiny Eevee which will be available via special distribution.

Fancy yourself as Pokémon player? Will you be going to Birmingham?

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=16569

Shiny Eevee being given away too -

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=16571