Awoo.

modern demo?

jords

- Take the boost challenge. Play the stage using as few buttons as you can. Just hold boost/forwards and only press other buttons when you absolutely have to. Count how many times this is.

I thought I'd give it a go. It was pretty hard to resist pressing any other buttons, but I got about 17.

EDIT: Tried again and got 14 this time.

Edited by Lungo

... magnetic walls syndrome?

Either way, anyone who bothered to to try it out would have found that the stage requires more input than both Windmill Isle and Tropical Resort. It's still fairly automatic and the player input equates to just a simple button press, but still.

While I did have ...still having a great enjoyable time with Modern Sonic (I fucking LOVE it....so much!). this is indeed an issue. My hope are set high that this isn't a issue in the next stages as SSZ proves the former with a lot of issues I have with it.

(I will say this though...Sonic 1 and 2 you barely had to press shit to beat the first stage.)

Edited by V0YANT

I want the record to state that I was never part of the Dio Cycle. Hell, I haven't gotten in a debate in months. All I want is an answer because God damn am I tired of this.

An answer I'm still waiting for, by the way, in case anyone wants to step up.

You're not going to get answers about why someone feels the way they do about certain things in the demo with a post like your previous one and by calling their previously posted opinions "bullshit".

Tutorial stage... must remember... it's the tutorial stage.

Okay... sorry, but you've really started to bug me with this.

Green Hill Zone Act 2 is NOT a tutorial stage. The first level in UnWiished? THAT is a tutorial stage. The very first level you play in Black Knight? THAT is a tutorial stage. The tutorial as Team Rose in Sonic Heroes? THAT is obviously a tutorial.

Green Hill Zone Act 2 is the first modern level you play in the game, and it is a complete, NORMAL level. It is easy because it is the first level, not because it is preparing you for the REAL Green Hill Zone modern stage; there will be additional missions, but I wouldn't expect them to be any lengthier than Act 2, since this game isn't going the Colors route of act design.

I'm just trying to clear this up. Please stop saying the level is a tutorial as if it is some defense over how easy and simple the first level in the game is; if anything, Green Hill Zone being demoted to a tutorial would be sacrilege, not something to be cheerful about just because it justifies the simplicity.

Edit: Ah, just nevermind this. You already replied to someone else saying the same damn things you'd be saying to me.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

... magnetic walls syndrome?

Certain areas of Windmill Isle have "magnetic walls", which repel you away from the walls and push you through the middle, forcing you in the direction of the path. Its unnoticable when boosting, but it is there. You have to try to hit the walls. Its very bizzare. Only other instance is the first 10s of Rooftop Run. That's it, never appears again.

Either way, anyone who bothered to to try it out would have found that the stage requires more input than both Windmill Isle and Tropical Resort. It's still fairly automatic and the player input equates to just a simple button press, but still.

I know that. I played it at SOS. It was pretty fun.

Also read Hoggy's post.

Okay, Diogenes...

ohitson.jpg

Like I said before, even if the rolling worked, there's basically nowhere to use it. Classic Sonic is not classic Sonic.

So how bout them loops?

No, it is literally identical. The only difference I've found between the two demos is Omochao.

I noticed that rolling physics have improved. Not as fast as the spindash, but it works. I also find control to be a lot better.

People who care about game balance and want the physics to mean something rather than being treated as a checkbox.

Physics meant plenty when they were making the game; some paths actually require you to use Newton's third law of motion to your advantage. Not only that, but what problems does the spindash being a bit overpowered really cause?

Flying battery doesn't put invisible little "assists" at the end of ramps.

But it did have some pretty long sections where you just watch Sonic run and run and run...

Also, remember Death Egg Zone?

I'm talking about every classic stage, since they're all blocky and the mechanics are broken.

...Uh, what?

If you think that, you don't know what that word even means.

Granted, I suppose I could have worded that better. I mean that it's pretty much optional, so there's no reason to complain.

Putting rail switching on the stick (exclusively; I wouldn't mind if it was optional) is fidgety and imprecise compared to putting it on a button. I tolerated it in Colors because of the lack of available buttons (same way with its counterpart, the quick step), but it's clearly superior in Unleashed.

I know, right? It is so difficult just to tap left or right on the control stick when necessary.

Which is why I want the modern gameplay to die in a fire.

Okay, you know what? I'm pretty sure the modern gameplay is here to stay. It's been here for six years (since Rush) and has been almost universally well received by gaming journalists and most fans. Probably about time to...

Deal-with-it-yoshi_08.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

One guy writing letters isn't going to do much. Now, if a bunch of people came to agree with a certain viewpoint, those combined voices might have a chance.

Also I have tried making my own Sonic game. But, well...it's hard work. I don't yet have the skill/knowledge to do so.

well if your as passionate as you make yourself out to be on the boards here i'd take another shot at it

Because nobody is allowed to voice legitimate complaints until they join the industry and make their own game. Fantastic.

oh he can have his complaints it's just how many times do we need to hear those complaints especially when it was the same complaints from every other time

Edited by i don't like pie

Okay, you know what? I'm pretty sure the modern gameplay is here to stay. It's been here for six years (since Rush) and has been almost universally well received by gaming journalists and most fans. Probably about time to...

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes it is a tutorial stage, it's obvious that it's a tutorial stage when you compare what it's like to play that stage against others.

For starters the whole stage is planned out in blocks where you have to use the moves that omachao tells you about, it's designed so that a new player can pick up the game, learn the controls yet still try to give a challenge to people who get the hang of it quickly.

They've done the GHZ in a way so that it can teach new players what to do, but also produce a stage which can be beaten by people of all ages and abilities.

When they move onto City Escape they're going to find it hard. Going to these conventions and watching people play has really opened my eyes to how well GHZ has been designed, you would be amazed how many people struggle to beat it easilly, yet they kept coming back for more because they enjoyed it, it's not a 'hold my hand' tutorial stage, but it still does everything that a tutorial stage should do for new players nor is it a radically epic level design which would put new players off either. It does exactly what it needs to do to entertain and teach people about the controls of Generations and the moves they need to use in order to beat the rest of the game.

Some people who are going on about the boosting challenge are going to be in for a very big suprise when it comes to city escape.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest it still WOWS me how Modern Sonic having a simple first level is such an issue. The classic games had very simple first levels. Nobody complains aboutt this....so switching it up on Modern I personally feel is bullshit...unless you out right hated Green Hill and Emerald Hill (Genesis)

Not saying its that its not a valid complaint, but if your going to judge something everything else needs to be judged at the same level. Not because it was "A Classic".

Rose Tinted Glasses folks.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 2

oh he can have his complaints it's just how many times do we need to hear those complaints especially when it was the same complaints from every other time

I know, right? It is so difficult just to tap left or right on the control stick when necessary.

Okay... sorry, but you've really started to bug me with this.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

Which this logic, how many times do we need to hear how great the game is when its the same great compliments from every other time, eh?

thing is tho new stuff is introduce yet still the same complaints from dio

Because those problems aren't being fixed, in spite of how many times I've been told to hold off judgement until we see more.

Okay, I'm confused. What's the point in adding a slide button when the game makes you SLIDE AUTOMATICALLY?

Seriously, what's the point in that?

Edited by Blue Blood

There's no use in arguing, I found out a long time ago that there really isn't a definitive rule of what a "Sonic" game is anymore.

Now that he's sort of reshaping his gameplay identity, it comes with a compromise.

Some old fans will despise it, while some new fans will love it, and some old fans will always accept the new directions the franchise heads in.

I for one think Generations is getting it right, and is looking far better than what we've gotten in the last 10yrs.(I thought Heroes and Colors were the last good/ok 3D Sonic games these past years, Unleashed is on the borderline of mediocre and good, while I found Colors enjoyable and a huge relief.)

Sonic didn't suck when he went into 3D, people just had a different idea of a Sonic game was when that occurred. Some think the games should be strictly 2 dimensional. Out of any fanbase that I'm a part of, this one is the most reluctant towards change, it's almost scary. And usually, it cannot be looked at objectively from either side, unless of course we have to rational people talking here.

While I don't think the games are as bad as the media made them seem, there's no denying Sonic was at one point lost with no identity. And regardless of what SEGA does next, it will ALWAYS be compared to the original 3 Genesis titles.

Regardless, I will enjoy this game.

And I'm actually anxious to see what they do post Generations and Sonic 4: Ep 1 to whatever, because none of us know for sure.

Because those problems aren't being fixed, in spite of how many times I've been told to hold off judgement until we see more.

Keep on judging bew. At least one person has the guts to post what they honestly think.

but your not fixin anything either by sittin in this fourm again if you really want it to change you gotta be proactive

but your not fixin anything either by sittin in this fourm again if you really want it to change you gotta be proactive
I really don't see how you expect me to fix things. I am one lone consumer; on my own, I really can't do much. The most effective way for consumers to change something is to band together. To do that, they need to agree on the problems. To do that, they need to be convinced.

Keep on judging bew. At least one person has the guts to post what they honestly think.

So no one can honestly like the game or find the flaws insignificant to the strengths?

• Thumbs Up 5

Dear Everyone Who Hates What I Freaking Love,

Okay, I'm getting sick of this.

What... the... FUCK is wrong with a powerful spindash? It's a move that lets you go fast. In a Sonic game. God forbid you go fast in a fucking Sonic game, hm? Not only that, but I also need to know what the flying shit is wrong with a heavy jump. Educate me, please. Is it a fucking crime to be slightly (and my God do I mean slightly) different from Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Oh wait a minute! Ha ha! Silly me! Sonic CD is universally praised and is my favorite game in the series! You know, even though it had slightly different physics and jumping mechanics! Somebody give me a legitimate answer; no bullshit please: What's wrong about it being slightly different, despite not being inherently bad? Would Sonic 3 & Knuckles had been a worse game if the jump and spindash behaved like they do in this game? That's all I want to know.

With love,

Dissident~

Because it's spammable and ez mode. The old spindash got you going from a standstill. This one keeps you going like a modern boost that can't be used in the air. Instead of skill keeping your momentum it's how many times you can tap X whenever you start slowing down a little. It's not that it's different. It's that the change is to the detriment of the game.

Sonic plays more like Sonic 1 or Sonic CD Sonic though as far as rolling and level design goes.

Edited by Tiller