Awoo.

modern demo?

jords

There are a lot of problems. Level design (for both Sonics),

Okay, I can kind of understand thinking that Modern Sonic's Green Hill is bland, but what the heck is wrong with classic Green Hill? It has platforming, it has multi-layered level design, it has branching paths, no cheap deaths or anything like that...what's wrong with it?

crappy rolling

You gotta admit, it has improved since the last demo.

spamdash

unnecessary automation

Funny, there was a lot of that in the classics as well, especially S3&K. Remember Flying Battery?

the almost complete inability to use slopes to pick up speed

If you're talking about classic Green Hill, all I have to say is...WUT?

the crappy trick system

Scar said it best: that is completely irrelevant to the main gameplay.

the crappy rail switching system

What's wrong with the rail switching again?

the boost...

...You do realize that the modern gameplay simply wouldn't work as well if it didn't have the boost, right?

Also, Dio, I'm curious, what exactly do you think of modern Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill?

• Thumbs Up 5

dio what exactly have you done to get sega to change there gameplay style to suit you?

Edited by Scar

Watching a few clips of the demo.

Thats the build they had at Gamefest. Absolutely 100% sure of that. Although why they cut out the ranks I don't know.. .. .

Oh wait! Unless they're going to change them out of 'easy mode' for the final build?

Here's MY Video!

My editing went a BIT wrong so some parts might look very dark biggrin.png

I have a question: in modern Sonic's gameplay why do you slide to attack the badniks when you can simply just boost through them?

I've got a time for you guys. Try 1:47.47. You would not believe how difficult this run was to pull off.

How in the world? I can't even break the 1:53 barrier yet.

Played through the Modern GHZ a few times now. Impressions:

- HOLY FUCK WHY SO MANY SCRIPTED EVENTS?! This includes dash pads and springs. The sheer number of them make the controls feely very unresponsive.

- Level design is balls in GHZ.

- The drift DOES destory enemies just as you'd expect. (It did in Unleashed and Colours too)

- Tricking is silly. When you go off a ramp, just keep a hold of any direction. You have to move the stick once to start Sonic tricking, but only once.

- The music effect is really nice cause it changes depending on your speed, not if you're boosting.

- The control is so vastly improved over Unleashed and even Colours.

- Rail switching with the stick isn't a problem really. Quickstep is still done with the bumpers.

- Why did they get rid of crawling? No biggie, it's just odd what happens now if you try to.

- They also got rid of the kick from Unleashed. It was useless, but still cool.

- The running animation is very nice. His hands are in fists at low speeds, and then he slowly opens them as he gets faster.

- Take the boost challenge. Play the stage using as few buttons as you can. Just hold boost/forwards and only press other buttons when you absolutely have to. Count how many times this is.

As for Classic...

- His controls are MUCH improved. He was fine before, but was somewhat like a cannonball- hard to get going and difficult to stop. He's much more balanced now.

- Spindash is still over powered and still charges instantaneously, or there abouts.

- Aerial movement is much lighter, but his jump still feels a bit off.

- You press the A button to jump. Just telling you guys in case you missed Omochao and were thinking they removed that ability.

- Lots more detail added to the background (same for M.Sonic) so the stage looks even prettier.

- The fixed a few bugs, including the noticeable one where backtracking and jumping onto the spiral wooden bridge would make you fall through the floor.

- Framerate seems more stable.

• Thumbs Up 3

dio what exactly have you done to get sega to change there gameplay style to suit you?
Tried to win the hearts and minds of the people with cold, calculating logic, so that we may rise up against Sonic Team.

All they really need to do, is remove the boost and the level design that it causes.

I'm pretty sure that'll be all really. Obviously replace the level design with better level design, along the lines of Sky Sanctuary probably.

I'd like to have functional rolling mechanics, too.

Okay, I can kind of understand thinking that Modern Sonic's Green Hill is bland, but what the heck is wrong with classic Green Hill? It has platforming, it has multi-layered level design, it has branching paths, no cheap deaths or anything like that...what's wrong with it?
Like I said before, even if the rolling worked, there's basically nowhere to use it. Classic Sonic is not classic Sonic.

You gotta admit, it has improved since the last demo.
No, it is literally identical. The only difference I've found between the two demos is Omochao.

*whothehellcares.avi*
People who care about game balance and want the physics to mean something rather than being treated as a checkbox.

Funny, there was a lot of that in the classics as well, especially S3&K. Remember Flying Battery?
Flying battery doesn't put invisible little "assists" at the end of ramps.

If you're talking about classic Green Hill, all I have to say is...WUT?
I'm talking about every classic stage, since they're all blocky and the mechanics are broken.

Scar said it best: that is completely irrelevant to the main gameplay.
If you think that, you don't know what that word even means.

What's wrong with the rail switching again?
Putting rail switching on the stick (exclusively; I wouldn't mind if it was optional) is fidgety and imprecise compared to putting it on a button. I tolerated it in Colors because of the lack of available buttons (same way with its counterpart, the quick step), but it's clearly superior in Unleashed.

...You do realize that the modern gameplay simply wouldn't work as well if it didn't have the boost, right?
Which is why I want the modern gameplay to die in a fire.

All they really need to do, is remove the boost and the level design that it causes.

I'm pretty sure that'll be all really. Obviously replace the level design with better level design, along the lines of Sky Sanctuary probably.

EDIT:

Dio likes Modern Sky Sanctuary, though he said there could be more width and a few less pitfalls, rather some kind of geometry to break your fall. Also said more levels need that kind of density of paths or something.

thing is tho is he just recycling his wants on the forum or is he takin a more active roll in making the games better?

Tried to win the hearts and minds of the people with cold, calculating logic, so that we may rise up against Sonic Team.

so you've done nothin aside from tellin us what's wrong over and over again?

Can you think of any other way for me to do so? I don't expect I'll be getting a job with Sonic Team any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

- Take the boost challenge. Play the stage using as few buttons as you can. Just hold boost/forwards and only press other buttons when you absolutely have to. Count how many times this is.

Tutorial stage... must remember... it's the tutorial stage.

• Thumbs Up 3

How in the world? I can't even break the 1:53 barrier yet.

I used every trick currently known in the stage. The original record holder was PaperSonic2007 with 1:48.15.

I have heard rumors that Paraxade got 1:46 but I'm not sure if thats true.

Can you think of any other way for me to do so? I don't expect I'll be getting a job with Sonic Team any time soon.

I'd be glad. Whilst your intentions are good, your proposed moveset ideas are a little questionable......:P

Tutorial stage... must remember... it's the tutorial stage.

No, it's not a tutorial stage. Sea Gate and Windmill Isle 1 are tutorial stages, this isn't. Also, I was actually asking people to try it. The game plays itself so much that you can complete much of the stage with only the boost and forward/right depending on 2D/3D.

The only issue I had with Modern Gameplay in Green Hill Zone is indeed the scripting. I can excuse its level design for being a tutorial/first stage, but seriously I hope they cut down on that shit (which by seeing Vids of other levels they did so I'm not worried). At the same time the fucking game gets my heart throbbing like a chicken with its head cut off! Tricking is a bit more simple than I thought it was, but it still fun to pull off a do perfectly.

Everything else?

Fucking wonderful. I can just imagine how how the game gonna keep going as we get the other levels.

Highlight: SPIN DASH DRIFT IS THE FUCKING SHIT! I also LOVE that Sonic slows down if he grinds on the sided of the terrain...great add on because to be honest its hard to get Sonic centered running at high speeds through snake like road ways... totally love it.

Being that this is the Gamefest Demo Classic Sonic is indeed more balanced...the rolling is still nothing like it was in Sonic 2, but I can cope if the level design is top notch.

Bravo Sonic Team...Sonic Redemption is on lock.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 1

have you tried writing some letters to sega or better yet develop you own game

This is the biggest problem for me. It's far too automated. Sonic Unleashed wasn't this automated, so it just doesn't make sense.

Dont worry, stages like CE dont feel this way, GHZ act 2 is more iike a tutoral stage tbh

No, it's not a tutorial stage. Sea Gate and Windmill Isle 1 are tutorial stages, this isn't. Also, I was actually asking people to try it. The game plays itself so much that you can complete much of the stage with only the boost and forward/right depending on 2D/3D.

So its Windmill Isle Magnetic Walls syndrome?

Also, I can only see this stage as being linear enough for large automated sections. It would be impossible in Sky Sanctuary.

Because nobody is allowed to voice legitimate complaints until they join the industry and make their own game. Fantastic.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dear Everyone Who Hates What I Freaking Love,

Okay, I'm getting sick of this.

What... the... FUCK is wrong with a powerful spindash? It's a move that lets you go fast. In a Sonic game. God forbid you go fast in a fucking Sonic game, hm? Not only that, but I also need to know what the flying shit is wrong with a heavy jump. Educate me, please. Is it a fucking crime to be slightly (and my God do I mean slightly) different from Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Oh wait a minute! Ha ha! Silly me! Sonic CD is universally praised and is my favorite game in the series! You know, even though it had slightly different physics and jumping mechanics! Somebody give me a legitimate answer; no bullshit please: What's wrong about it being slightly different, despite not being inherently bad? Would Sonic 3 & Knuckles had been a worse game if the jump and spindash behaved like they do in this game? That's all I want to know.

With love,

Dissident~

Way to overreact to people's differing opinions sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 6

So its Windmill Isle Magnetic Walls syndrome?

Also, I can only see this stage as being linear enough for large automated sections. It would be impossible in Sky Sanctuary.

... magnetic walls syndrome?

Either way, anyone who bothered to to try it out would have found that the stage requires more input than both Windmill Isle and Tropical Resort. It's still fairly automatic and the player input equates to just a simple button press, but still.

What... the... FUCK is wrong with a powerful spindash?
It's too powerful. Both in speed and ease of use. The genesis spindash is balanced by having to stop and charge it up; the Generations spindash can be used almost instantly in mid-run, as long as you aren't on a wall or ceiling.

One guy writing letters isn't going to do much. Now, if a bunch of people came to agree with a certain viewpoint, those combined voices might have a chance.

Also I have tried making my own Sonic game. But, well...it's hard work. I don't yet have the skill/knowledge to do so.

Either way, anyone who bothered to to try it out would have found that the stage requires more input than both Windmill Isle and Tropical Resort. It's still fairly automatic and the player input equates to just a simple button press, but still.
Ehh I dunno...if it is, it's not by much. Edited by Diogenes

Way to overreact to people's differing opinions sleep.png

I want the record to state that I was never part of the Dio Cycle. Hell, I haven't gotten in a debate in months. All I want is an answer because God damn am I tired of this.

An answer I'm still waiting for, by the way, in case anyone wants to step up.