Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

I can't unhear the Brawl thing as anything but this nowadays. Never thought too much about the Latin, but it is kinda over the top, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm wondering how much content there is gonna be in the game....

When Meele came out, I coudn't thinkhow they could top they amount characters,stages extras etc....but after the years came by I didn't thought it would be that unimaginable, and then Brawl came out.

The Same thing will happen with Brawl, it sort of falls in with Sakurais "if it were the last in the Series" design philosphy for the Series.

Now I gotta admit I'm not really into the fight-mechanics of Smash Bros., too spazzy for me to play it seriously. I just look forward to all the content and extra-shizzle.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they bring back Adventure mode, I got one little gripe. Originality is a fine thing, but in a game that is supposed to bring together so many iconic characters, originality should be approached with a minimalist attitude. I mean, did anyone even like more than two or three of the subspace army enemies? And what about those environments? Pretty generic stuff. I love love LOVED the cutscenes though.

No, next time the enemies should consist of iconic enemies from each characters series ( where applicable ) besides Bowsers minions. There's plenty of enemies from Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, MOTHER, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, and they really could put in some Wild Pokemon ( lets not be pansies about beating up pokemon. We do it in the games and we beat up the playable pokemon too. )

I'd like to think it would be pretty easy to make some decent platforming beat em up levels from almost every characters respective games, and with bosses even. I was okay with the last few levels consisting of fighting wireframes/polygons, a race to the finish, and Masterhand being the sole amount of originality in the series, though a small change here and there isn't bad.

I was one of the few who really liked the SSE, and I'm fine with original enemies, but I was disappointed that the crossover aspect was limited to "Mario and Link run through Field #4, and then go into Cave #3, oh and some Goombas, I guess". And the levels really weren't that well designed, none of them felt distinct at all, despite looking different.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

SubSpace Emissary was pretty "meh" to me. The only thing I felt was epic was seeing the character interact with each other in the cutscenes and how bosses from their respective series played a role in the adventure. The levels weren't too exciting for me than they were basic, and the enemies weren't anything too interesting.

The only other gripe would be when a few of the character's fought each other, such as Link and Yoshi against Mario and Pit, but I remind myself that it was meant to be awesome and let it slide.

The only other gripe would be when a few of the character's fought each other, such as Link and Yoshi against Mario and Pit, but I remind myself that it was meant to be awesome and let it slide.
Edited by Facehugger

I would love it if the levels in what may be the new subspace emissary took place in levels from the actual franchises reimagined in a kirbyish style. It could even work similar to Kirby Wii with something going on with the dimensions with little dimensional portals popping up everywhere.

As for characters, the only ones that I'm truly hopping for are Bowser Jr., Zoroark, and possibly Prince Fluff or Waddle Dee

Stages could be quite epic, Imagine fighting through the firey hell hole that is Bowser's Castle in a similar fashion to the Mushroomy Kingdom, or even in a Pokemon Center with several of the NPC characters from across the Pokemon World occasionally popping up.

And on the matter of Tails, I'd personally prefer if he followed Sonic around instead of being his own character in entirety. It shows their bond with each other, plus he could be swapped with Sonic from the selection screen or through a taunt or even after their final smash. Plus it wouldn't take up a slot for another thrid party franchise character, like Amaterasu (who I personally prefer as a Capcom representative, or even AiAi (even Sega were willing to let me die a happy man)

Edited by Cero

Assuming of course that that is the part which irked you, because if it isn't, that was a waste of time.

No. That wasn't what irked me. What irked me was that the most of the characters decided to fight each other at the drop of the hat without any explanation for doing so. Ganondorf betraying Bowser for example, what the heck was the point if you were both doing so under the supposed guise of the Master Hand? Or King DeeDeeDee trying to save a few people from having the land taken over by assaulting them out of the blue and such.

To be fair, they did explain that not everyone knew everyone, so obviously there would be some conflict until they cleared up who was working with who (you get an idea of this in the cutscene where Meta Knight and Marth meet). For the Ganondorf scene, the Dojo mentioned that Ganondorf had been planning to overthrow Master Hand the entire time, but that Bowser was actually working loyally, so their fight was likely something bound to happen (that it was a quick backstab rather than an actual battle probably saved alot of power debates :V). I suppose you can't exactly justify Dedede's part though since he coulda saved alot of time by just teaming up with the people, but whats done is done now I suppose. :P

No. That wasn't what irked me. What irked me was that most of the characters decided to fight each other at the drop of the hat without any explanation for doing so. Ganondorf betraying Bowser for example, what the heck was the point if you were both doing so under the supposed guise of the Master Hand? Or King DeeDeeDee trying to save a few people from having the land taken over by assaulting them out of the blue and such.
Ganondorf planned to overthrow Master Hand from the beginning, and simply intended to eliminate a potential thorn in his side, Bowser, who was a loyal enforcer, to make his task much simpler. As for Dedede, he decided to help out Smashers because he was on board the Halberd with Meta Knight when the Subspace Army invaded the ship. Both Dedede and Meta Knight managed to escape, however, on board the ship Dedede came to learn of trophification and the Subspace army's techniques, (Including Tabuu's off-waves.), and started devoting time to trying to aid the cause against the Subspace by developing countermeasures to trophification. The reason why he attacked them was to defeat them, thereby turning them into trophies so that he could test his weird invention.

However, this knowledge comes from the wiki, not the game itself, and so to lead onto this....

This is one of those things where I felt that the lack of dialogue between the characters was a problem with the cutscenes. But like I said, since it looks awesome, I let it slide.
I will say that I concur. The lack of dialogue really did not help the already-present ambiguity surrounding some of the events of the Subspace Emissary. Edited by Facehugger

To be fair, they did explain that not everyone knew everyone, so obviously there would be some conflict until they cleared up who was working with who (you get an idea of this in the cutscene where Meta Knight and Marth meet).

So the first thing each character does is try to kill each other/turn each other into trophies as opposed to finding out what the problem is when it happens?

For the Ganondorf scene, the Dojo mentioned that Ganondorf had been planning to overthrow Master Hand the entire time, but that Bowser was actually working loyally, so their fight was likely something bound to happen (that it was a quick backstab rather than an actual battle probably saved alot of power debates :V).

Ganondorf planned to overthrow Master Hand from the beginning, and simply intended to eliminate a potential thorn in his side, Bowser, who was a loyal enforcer, to make his task much simpler.

That's another problem I had with the plot in that it doesn't tell you Ganondorf planned to overthrow the Master Hand and expects you to look elsewhere to find this out.

Up until this point, I had actually assumed Ganondorf wanted all the credit for what he was doing throughout the story. Nothing implied he wanted to overthrow Master Hand, and that assumption only goes further off the radar when you see that Master Hand was a puppet the whole time and they both were against Tabuu.

As for Dedede, he decided to help out Smashers because he was on board the Halberd with Meta Knight when the Subspace Army invaded the ship. Both Dedede and Meta Knight managed to escape, however, on board the ship Dedede came to learn of trophification and the Subspace army's techniques, (Including Tabuu's off-waves.), and started devoting time to trying to aid the cause against the Subspace by developing countermeasures to trophification. The reason why he attacked them was to defeat them, thereby turning them into trophies so that he could test his weird invention.

However, this knowledge comes from the wiki, not the game itself, and so to lead onto this....I will say that I concur. The lack of dialogue really did not help the already-present ambiguity surrounding some of the events of the Subspace Emissary.

Clearly, the person who made the plot did not know how to go through with storytelling. Wall-e manages to let you know what the character is thinking and feeling with very little dialogue, but trying to do the same for more than 25 characters does not come off the same way. Even more so for characters that actually speak.

Seriously, how hard was simply using Text for the dialogue? That's really simple without hiring so many voice actors to voice the lines.

I agree with you that the lack of dialogue has a knock-on effect when it comes to the storytelling, I was simply explaining the events.

So the first thing each character does is try to kill each other/turn each other into trophies as opposed to finding out what the problem is when it happens?

No. That wasn't what irked me. What irked me was that the most of the characters decided to fight each other at the drop of the hat without any explanation for doing so. Ganondorf betraying Bowser for example, what the heck was the point if you were both doing so under the supposed guise of the Master Hand? Or King DeeDeeDee trying to save a few people from having the land taken over by assaulting them out of the blue and such.

This is one of those things where I felt that the lack of dialogue between the characters was a problem with the cutscenes. But like I said, since it looks awesome, I let it slide.

I think I can summarize the problems with SSE's story was that it requires the characters to not have any viable means of communication. The only conceivable reason DeeDeeDee would need to turn people into trophies to make sure they had the badges on was that he couldn't simply tell them to keep them on. This was a major part of the plot. They also really need to keep the Final Fantasy guys away from this game so we don't get another stupid boss no one cares about from nowhere. Better yet, not have a dumb story mode that was a chore to play through. Just be a good fighting game and have all the characters open from the start. There was also that weird thing with the ROBs, how they detonate those bobs, but the detonation doesn't really destroy anything except the robs, and then ends up in another dimension, I have no idea what was supposed to be happening.

Then there was that scene where Donkey Kong wanted to move Diddy Kong out of the path of a laser, and rather than just grab his and run, he winds up and punches him in the back as hard as he can and ends up being hit in his place.

It's like an idiot plot only more frustrating. And the friggen Latin Choir needs to go and take its terrible rendition of Kirby's victory music with it.

And it needs Pulseman.

The only conceivable reason DeeDeeDee would need to turn people into trophies to make sure they had the badges on was that he couldn't simply tell them to keep them on.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I always thought it would be cool if they gave alternate costumes to Sonic like

Shadow and Metal Sonic

Eh, I think third-party characters should be limited to one per series. They should be treated as guest characters.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Your mileage may vary, mate. SSE wasn't amazing, but good grief, it was way better than what, say, Soul Calibur 4 offered.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I enjoyed the 3rd party characters in Brawl.

I certainly would like to see Sonic and Snake back, I thought they were both pretty neat additions in gameplay style.

I'd love to see some Ace Attorney characters in this one too, even as just assist trophy kind of things.

I'd dig it if Shadow were his own character. But could he have his own guns like ShtH?

Maybe they can give him the Omochao Gun for the lulz.

I'd dig it if Shadow were his own character. But could he have his own guns like ShtH?

Maybe they can give him the Omochao Gun for the lulz.

This made me laugh a little.

The last and final alternative unlock method? Play 450 Brawls. Yeah no, fuck that shit. Unlocking a lot of the characters in Brawl was completely fucking stupid.

Melee was not much better. Play 600+ matches to get the chance to unlock Mewtwo. And lets not get started on Game and watch.

But anyways I really would love to see Knux or Shadow in the next smash bros. I'd also say megaman but he'll play fairly similar to samus minus the bomb drop thing. ZS samus for the win!!

Not to mention that the only other way to get a chance at unlocking Mewtwo was playing multiplayer for a combined 20 hours. Easy enough when you have 4 people, but when there's only 1 or 2 you're going to be leaving the 'cube on all night.

The last and final alternative unlock method? Play 450 Brawls. Yeah no, fuck that shit. Unlocking a lot of the characters in Brawl was completely fucking stupid.

I don't know about you, but I play the game a lot with my friends, so we ended up unlocking everybody just doing 5 stock matches the whole time.

It's... not as much of a pain in the ass as you seem to think it is, honestly.

...I mean, I wanted to play as Sonic the first time I fired the game up, but I couldn't. I accepted that though, and decided to play as Link instead. You know why? Because Sonic is an unlockable, and unlocking him is part of the game. It gives you a reason to play- a goal to aim for.

And once you unlock the character you wanted? Play more, using that character.

Is that really such an alien concept?

• Thumbs Up 1

Unlocking them was easy for me since I went straight for subspace emissary. But I was kind of disappointed about that; unlocking all the characters in Melee felt more rewarding because of the hefty requirements. It's a party game, so I understand the need to have everyone set right away, but I think that there should be an optional cheat that lets you have all the characters off the bat and simultaneously keep the traditional character unlock requirements.