Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

Melee is waaaaaaaaaaay better, in my opinion. It may be because I played Melee more with friends, so I've got a lot of nostalgia in me, or it's because it's a very, very, VERY, competitive game. Even though it has a limited character roster, it's still a fucking amazing game. I sold Brawl, and I still have Melee in my house. :P

I think it's all of the above, though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The only single player modes that are essential IMO are:

Classic Mode - I love the arcade-y structure and the challenge of attempting a no-continue run on Intense difficulty (why just the other day I completed it with Olimar). A good way to find the characters you're best with. The computer is a cheating bastard though.

Multi-man Melee/Brawl - Again, the challenge involved in 100 man or even Endless and beating personal records.

Event Mode - There were some cool events in Melee but Brawl's were pretty lackluster. make moar bettar ones plz

Break the targets - A series staple! And yeah, Melee did it better with the individual target maps and whatnot.

Board the platforms - BRING THIS BACK

I really really want to play as Wolf as soon as possible. What do I have to do?

Play through the entire Subspace Emissary, being forced to use several characters that I do not care to play whatsoever, finish it, then find a secret door in one of the levels and fight him. Beat him and I unlock him.

Wow that sounds like a pain in the ass. Hmm.. what's another method? Beat Subspace Emissary, unlock the Boss Rush mode, and beat it with both Fox or Falco. Still have to go through Subspace Emissary. Pain in the ass.

The last and final alternative unlock method? Play 450 Brawls. Yeah no, fuck that shit. Unlocking a lot of the characters in Brawl was completely fucking stupid.

I've unlocked the characters in brawl 4 times, not by choice.

I agree. it's balls unlocking people

It really is. For any of the games save for the original Super Smash Brothers, that is. Hopefully they'll make it a bit easier on the player if they're going to have a ton of secret characters again.

Board the platforms was just break the targets with standing on things instead of attacking them.

Eh, I think third-party characters should be limited to one per series. They should be treated as guest characters.

Agreed. Use them sparingly. Besides, Snake was a request by Kojima and Sonic got in because of popular demand. They aren't going to let anyone in- they're really selective.

If there's any other third party character I want to see it's Mega Man. He's colorful, has tons of powers and a history with Nintendo consoles. I'm sure he'd fit right in.

You know who else they should add? That Ganondorf guy. He hasn't been in a Smash Bros game yet.

Also forget the SSE and bring back a Melee-esque Adventure mode.

The only single player modes that are essential IMO are:

Classic Mode - I love the arcade-y structure and the challenge of attempting a no-continue run on Intense difficulty (why just the other day I completed it with Olimar). A good way to find the characters you're best with. The computer is a cheating bastard though.

Multi-man Melee/Brawl - Again, the challenge involved in 100 man or even Endless and beating personal records.

Event Mode - There were some cool events in Melee but Brawl's were pretty lackluster. make moar bettar ones plz

Break the targets - A series staple! And yeah, Melee did it better with the individual target maps and whatnot.

Speaking of Classic Mode. I want better bonus stages. Melee had a variety with Trophy Snag, Race to The Finish, and unique Target Smashes for each character, while Brawl just used one of the Five Target Smashes for each bonus stage.

Also, Events in Brawl were lame. In Melee you had things like fighting on a trophy or protecting Yoshi eggs, unique situations that weren't in the other parts of the game, while Brawl mostly had "Beat these guys. Maybe they're big or something, I dunno." Or just had things that weren't that interesting, like "Break all the Skyworld platforms."

Edited by Ekaje

You know who else they should add? That Ganondorf guy. He hasn't been in a Smash Bros game yet.

Uhm...Excuse me?

You care to explain this? What Ganondorf guy? Because there's only one Ganondorf in the Zelda series.

And speaking of Zelda, I'm willing to bet Ghiraham is going to be playable in this game too.

I really hope they don't add tripping to this one, and if they insist on including something like SSE, I hope they do it much better this time. It tended to be dull, repetitive, and overall boring and it sorta dragged on. They should also make the unlocking requirements for characters easier, or at least have more alternate unlocking methods that range from easy to hard.

Also, un-clone clone characters if they're going to return. Let Ganondorf use his sword, give the Starfox team different final smashes entirely, etc. I am also worried about the gimmick of "building up your character's skills on 3DS and then compete on Wii U with those transferred skills". Guessing that's because the 3DS version will have no/poor online itself? I don't understand why the two games can't be separate, not everyone can buy both games since it may involve either getting an expensive handheld, or an expensive console for one game. Or in some cases, it may be both.

I actually think they should outsource another company like Grezzo to just remake the original for 3DS and leave the new game to be for Wii U only. It makes more sense to me. After all, if Sakurai's doing two new games that connect, that's more work, and to get it done in a sufficient amount of time requires a bigger team than if it was just one game.

Uhm...Excuse me?

Edited by The Soldier
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yes, nevermind that the other Smash Bros. games had unlockable characters, nobody complained about those.
Edited by Tornado

I like unlocking characters. I'd be angry if you had all characters unlocked from the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like unlocking characters. I'd be angry if you had all characters unlocked from the start.

Sure, but I like it being the characters. It's fun unlocking them for me. Just do it like Stingray said with an optional password or something to unlock everything.

I still haven't boughten Tekken 6, because all characters are unlocked from the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are ways to implement goals into a game without holding the overwhelming majority of the game hostage until you complete certain objectives.

Edited by Facehugger
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I too liked being able to unlock the characters. Sure, it was just a one time thing, but it actually gave reason to play the game by yourself, since you had something that you were trying to reach for. It was fun and made it feel so accomplishing to see that screen with the silhouette of the character you were about to unlock. Like you were getting ready to do something awesome. Besides, it's been like that ever since the first Smash Bros. and I really don't see a problem with it. It's not like unlocking any of the characters is specifically difficult in any way.

Well Ganondorf isn't in any Smash Bros games!

There is a re-skinned Captain Falcon that resembles Ganondorf, however, so I can see where you might get confused.

I was JOKING.

Seriously, making him a clone of Captain Falcon is completely inexcusable. They need to give Ganon a new moveset and give the current one to Black Shadow or something. Ganondorf is his own character with his own powers.

For a competitive fighting game? Absolutely. Forced character unlocks for games like this is a game design concept that should have died and went to hell 15 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, the delivery was poor as hell when you made that. Work on that next time. Good thing we asked you first before we mouthed off. :lol:

14/35 is not an overwhelming majority.

I too enjoy unlockables, and found it no trouble to unlock Brawl's roster.

A pedantic clarification and "nuh uh" making up the entirety of your point is worse for your argument than not responding at all.
Those weren't debatable propositions. Those were facts. If you're going to complain, try to avoid blowing things way out of proportion, you end up appearing clueless and are then forced to come up with pathetic retorts like the above in order to try and salvage some form of credibility. The fact of the matter is, I rendered your original complaint invalid, and if that makes me 'pedantic', then so be it.

BTW, insulting my post is no better than anything I have done here, so I'd be careful how you handle launching that 'It's worse than nothing' accusation, and would implore you to pay attention to your own post before being a hypocrite, in future. I mean, seriously? A post comprised entirely of butthurt and insulting my argument? Are you serious? I correct you on something and invalidate the complaint, and you label me as pedantic and expect that to hold? You have much to learn. Besides, essentially whining at me for being correct is worse than anything my posts have contained here.

Because, as I see it, the only posts here that are 'worse than nothing' in terms of argumentative merit, are the ones you have made. All they comprise of is wrongfull complaints and butthurt responses, bordering on insulting me for being right.

td;lr Your complaint is invalid, don't become butthurt and make pathetic responses expecting them to hold, and if you're going to launch an accusation, at least make sure you wouldn't be a hypocrite in delivering said accusation.

PS: I will give you one thing, though. You are inventive. It's common for people to be insulted for being wrong, but I've never seen anyone insult someone on the basis that they were correct.

Edited by Facehugger

Almost half were unlockable though anyway right? that's still a ludicrious number

PS: I will give you one thing, though. You are inventive. It's common for people to be insulted for being wrong, but I've never seen anyone insult someone on the basis that they were correct.

You win based on semantics, but it doesn't changed the fact that unlocking all thos e characters takes far too long, and becomes an almost maschistic activity if you have to do it more then once.

In a multiplayer game, I think haven't characters locked is just a bad idea, its just a big buzzkill if you want to get some quick multiplayer games going with a new game