Awoo.

New Smash Bros?

The drunkard from space!

going back to that old rumor nearly two years ago, I'd like to see Layton in the game, final smash being that contraption he used in the ending for the first game.

But btb, I wanna see Geno make a true return to Nintendo consoles.

I kinda hope they don't go too overboard on the soundtrack again. Brawl's soundtrack was 'quantity over quality' if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced at E3 that a new Smash Bros. was coming to the Wii U and 3DS, earning himself a round of applause and a fair few excited screams from fans around the world. According to series creator Masahiro Sakurai, however, there is nothing in the works.

Sakurai warns us it could be years before we see another game.

"We've got no plans whatsoever," he admitted. "We've got two new games out in the open when there's no extra time to work with them at all. It makes me cringe, and I'm not sure it's the smartest thing to make gamers wait for several years, but the early announcement was made chiefly in order to attract new team members."

This is quite a shocking development when you consider that Smash Bros. was perhaps the biggest software announcement Nintendo had at its press conference and one of only a handful that the publisher revealed. That the Smash Bros. reveal was little more than a gamble on Iwata's part is pretty galling, to say the least.

This is hilariously absurd.

That would directly contradict what you posted so I'm not sure who I should believe here:

Some information we've gleaned from SSB4 thanks to a conversation Sakurai had with Iwata on his Japanese blog:

>He's been working on it for about 2 years

>He's had to keep it incredibly secret and hold back a lot due to not knowing the hardware's capability

>The 3DS version is going to be aimed at casual gamers and those new to the series, being a separate game. Yes, the 3DS is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT game.

>The Wii U version is aiming for 50 characters and is being aimed at the core audience it lost with Brawl.

Edited by Blacklightning

That would directly contradict what you posted so I'm not sure who I should believe here:

Oh I know.

But I'm thinking this has more merit than what I posted earlier. Someone pointed out to me (as well as someone in the topic) that the 50 characters bit was a big mistranslation. It was more along the lines of 'I could just add 50 new characters and stages and call it a day, but I don't want to to just that'. Not actually aiming for 50 characters.

*shrugs* I dunno man. I dunno. It really seems like Iwata just threw everyone for a loop and tried to get people excited about the Wii U by announcing a 'big game.' It's saddening I suppose, but I honestly think it's more funny than anything. Something told me that was a joke of an announcement back when I originally heard it, all this points to me being correct.

Edited by Chooch

They already did this with Brawl back when they called Wii the "Revolution". Iwata hadn't even ASKED Sakurai to make it at the time. The next E3 was when they actually had something to show.

I sort of got this impression from the start, considering they said Sakurai would start after finishing Uprising. We probably won't see the game released for at least three years.

Edited by Ekaje

This is..sorta disappointing.

You know what we need now to ease our pain?

Sonic and Sega Allstars fighting.

Make it happen Sega.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, I guess if there are any guest (3rd party) characters I'd like to have in the new Smash Bros., it'd most likely be Cress/Cless from Tales of Phantasia, seeing as the series first started on the SNES and appeared on gameboy advanced too. It'd be pretty cool to see a Majinken or Senkuureppa performed in Smash Bros., and I have a feeling that Cress/Cless would be able a combo master.

Other then that? I guess Negi from Negima, seeing as most of the video games of Negima have appeared on Nintendo consoles. His Titan Slaying Lance would make a pretty cool final smash (if they leave it in as a gameplay mechanic). A lot of his other moves would be cool to like his binding arrows or his regular lighting spears as well. Not to mention his over all mastery of kung-fu. Though I would have suggested his Raiten Taisou as a final smash, I can't help but think it'll be a direct copy of pickachu's cheap final smash (cheap as in not very imaginative or good).

If someone replies to this in an overly negative way, or comes off as dickish to me, I won't even respond to you, this is just my wishful but otherwise pointless thoughts/dreams. (I could care less about ridely or megaman btw)

Poor Sakurai. I love that sexy sexy game developer. If I had the game announcement sprung on me like that for the second time in a row, I'd be so mad, especially since he already left nintendo to be his own company. But he decided to just do it like a bro.

I'd like to see a few more third parties but no more than four total. Keeping Sonic and Snake, I'd like to add Simon Belmont and Megaman, though I don't think Simon is too likey. Not sure who is though. What I really want are Banjo and Kazooie, and one of the BattleToads since they are so totally BUILT for Smash bros. But Rareware owns them both and... well yeah.

For nintendo characters? I'd like some of the old bosses and assist trophies to be playable. Little Mac, Ridley, Lyn, The Sin and Punishment Guy ( forgot his name... sorry. ) Samurai Goroh, and Waluigi come to mind. ( Okay maybe not Waluigi... )

I could go on listing the rest of the characters I'd want but I doubt anyone is interested, or will be interested until there are actual planning for the game going underway and we start getting updates online, so I'll wait until then. It's more exciting that way.

Just thought I'd correct you, Lando. Sakurai did not leave Nintendo, he left Hal and made his own Nintendo based developer. SORA Ltd. is completely owned by Nintendo.

I kinda hope they don't go too overboard on the soundtrack again. Brawl's soundtrack was 'quantity over quality' if you ask me.

Brawl's theme song is super pretentious, but the soundtrack wasn't bad otherwise.

But what I really would love is a soundtrack (or at least a considerable portion) that emulates SSB64's arcade-like music.

Really? I thought the entire soundtrack was perfect.

It has quite a few good tracks, yes, but there's some really mediocre, midi-sounding tracks on there. Not to mention some really bizarre choices like Route 209 or Ai no Uta and a distinct lack of 'battle' music. It's a fighting game!

Also I like having just 1 or 2 songs per stage. It creates a kind of aural identity for the stage. The same thing happened with All Stars Racing (although that was worse since it had no original tracks)

edit: And a Dark Aether stage would be awesome. The best game in the Prime series needs representin!

Edited by w00tkins

Ai no Uta was one of the best songs on the soundtrack, for real.

Otherwise, I do agree. A lot of the tracks sucked.

I myself actually loved the stage music, but the theme song was horribly pretentious. Pikmin World Map by Yasunori Mitsuda=awesome.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I don't really get the whole "pretentious" accusations here.

Unless you have a quote or some kind of hard factual evidence that music was composed "to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed", rather than because people at Nintendo were fans of composer Nobuo Uematsu or of traditional orchestral scores, then the accusation is all but baseless.

if adding the operatic italian (?) vocals to the theme song of the mascot game wasn't an act of trying "to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc, than is actually possessed" then I don't know what is. that shit is ridiculous

if adding the operatic italian (?) vocals to the theme song of the mascot game wasn't an act of trying "to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc, than is actually possessed" then I don't know what is. that shit is ridiculous

Latin. =P

And it's only a small step above the orchestral tunes already in prior Nintendo games, including Melee's own opening theme. People in this thread act like video games have never had orchestral themes before. Why is it so much worse than any other type of music for an opening theme? What are you wanting, gangster rap? Heavy metal? Justin Bieber? Seriously, I don't get it.

Edited by fluffybunnyboy

Latin. Not Italian. Trust me, I should know it.

Latin. =P

And it's only a small step above the orchestral tunes already in prior Nintendo games, including Melee's own opening theme. People in this thread act like video games have never had orchestral themes before. Why is it so much worse than any other type of music for an opening theme? What are you wanting, gangster rap? Heavy metal? Justin Bieber? Seriously, I don't get it.

Orchestrated is fine, whack latin vocals push the orchestrated piece into the realm of ridiculous though. I actually don't mind the instrumental but the vocal version makes me laugh, hahaha

and yeah, after I hit post I was like oh, shit it's latin isn't it? but yeah, thanks for the tip. :D

and heavy metal is fine for games,

:P

I always figured the Latin was half a choice so that the song didn't have to be localised. Would be lame to have a theme song that only one region can understand.

Besides, the theme song is nothing but awesome once you learn the lyrics and can sing along.

I'LL BE THE MAAAARTH. E.G NOOOOOB. THIS IS YOSHI'S BBBBBB, THE MONKEY WANTS TO HUG HIIIIIM.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Brawl's theme song has Latin choir. In a game with Pikachu, Kirby, Ice Climbers, and Donkey Kong. It's the very definition of pretentiousness.

Not to mention that Latin singing is an extremely generic way of trying to enhance the "epic" nature of the game. In fact, it's the lowest common denominator of its type.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Brawl's theme song has Latin choir. In a game with Pikachu, Kirby, Ice Climbers, and Donkey Kong. It's the very definition of pretentiousness.

Not to mention that Latin singing is an extremely generic way of trying to enhance the "epic" nature of the game. In fact, it's the lowest common denominator of its type.